Fresh Hop Man-Baby Double IPA - Pizza Port Solana Beach

Fresh Hop Man-Baby Double IPA
No picture uploaded.

Pizza Port Solana Beach visit their website

(Beer added by: DeanMoriarty on 10-06-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

I'm writing this a year and a half after the fact, so this is less of a review and more of a glowing reminiscence. Fresh hopped Man Baby lingers as the best beer I've ever had. I still feel lucky to have gotten to try it, and I hope that the recipe will be revived at some point (and hopefully Nacho will brew it at PPOB!). Enormous smell of chlorophyl/freshly cut grass, citrus, and pine. Taste followed suit, with an appropriate, muted sweetness from the malt. The most well balanced beer I've had to date. Creamy and numbing on the mouth. This is the one that got away, and I hope that some merciful soul at Pizza Port revives this beer.

terpinsd, Apr 27, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -21.3%

hnandez, Jun 05, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +10.1%

I had the pleasure of trying this at the Ocean Beach location of Pizza Port. This review is from notes.

Pours a deep gold color with some haze. The creamy, tightly packed head lasts the whole pint and coats the glass with foam. The aroma is of intense, concentrated grapefruit and pine and herbal bitterness - malts are hard to detect. The taste is extremely bitter. In fact, this is the most bitter IPA I've ever tried. Extreme amounts of citrusy, piney and floral hops battle with my palate. Malts are missing throughout. The mouthfeel is numbing with hop bitterness and moderate in carbonation. The finish is impossibly long. I still had hop cotton mouth an hour after leaving the brewpub. Alcohol is completely hidden throughout.

This is a hop delivery vehicle. I've never experienced such a bitter beer in my life, fresh hops aside. Huge masses of hop aroma, flavor and bitterness. A must try. I feel fortunate for having the chance to try this.

CAMRAhardliner, Oct 08, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked up a growler tonight from a buddy that works at the Ocean Beach location...and thank god - at $31. per growler fill, your average working man would go broke!

A: Not sure - drinking out of a Waterloo branded ceramic chalice I picked up in Brugge last year. I only bust this baby out on rare occasions and I figured this was one - wet hopped Man Baby - what!? (I'll just average the "appearance" score with the other graded aspects of this brew).

S: Wow, few beers smell as wonderful as this one. Man Baby is over the top to begin with, but the fresh hopping really puts this into a whole new league of its own. Pungent earthy, slight ganja smell - chlorophilic, herbal tea, jasmine flowers, vanilla cookie batter.

T: Holy shit - this stuff is unreal! On point with the nose, but more herbal - like chamomile tea, medicinal and resinous, balanced out perfectly with tropical fruit and sweet taffy-like flavors. An insane balance of sweet malt, resinous hop and uniquely complex fruity esters from the yeast - its got it all!

I just want to stress how perfect the balance is and how difficult and rare that is in a DIPA with such massive hoppiness. This is a perfect tasting DIPA...and where the hell is the booze in this??? At nearly 10% ABV, this one drinks like a 7%'r.

M: Super creamy and smooth with a lingering bitterness from the hop resin that coats the palate like cough syrup. Am I splitting hairs to say I wish it had a bit more carbonation and dryness to it? Probably so, but it's the only thing keeping me from giving it a perfect score.

By far the finest DIPA i've ever had the privilege to try...and thanks to my "anonymous" friend for the fairly priced hook up! Do yourselves a favor though and get down to OB Pizza Port and get this while it lasts because once it's gone, it's gone until next year....and that's assuming the head brewer decides to make it in and brew up another batch. Rumor has it he's leaving the OB location to be head brewer of their new location at the future Bressi Ranch location (with a canning line) - damn! Hopefully the new head brewer of the OB location brews beer that matches her good looks!

DeanMoriarty, Oct 06, 2012

t0rin0, Mar 31, 2013
Fresh Hop Man-Baby Double IPA from Pizza Port Solana Beach
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.