#22oztofreedom - Voodoo Brewing Company

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Guess I will be the first to review this beer. Picked this up and the "Nofilter" beer from the Gateway Grill in Monroeville for 7 bucks. Quite a find since they just came out around last week.

A - Pours a fairly hazy bright yellow so I guess both of these beers are not filtered. Head is pretty sweet giving me a 1/4 inch that sticks around for a bit. Crafted well since it doesn't fizz into nothing.
S - Not too exciting you got your sweet corn, cereal grains, and some malty alcohol. Doesn't smell like ethanol so this might go down smooth.
T - Despite it not being too exciting I found it to be quite quaff able. Easy going corn and malty alcohol notes with little to no hops is what I expected.
M - Quite smooth doesn't have any harsh flavors so it drinks light to medium.

If you are a fan of the style (is that a thing?) I would fully recommend trying it. I never had a crafted malt liquor before so it was a worthwhile experience. May not have it again though since I am not a huge fan of this, lagers, or pilsners.

3.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Recalling the old DFH "Liquor de Malt," or simply the last time you so elegantly quaffed a 40 of Olde E, this came with a piece of brown paper bag covering the top. That's right, it's so ghetto that they couldn't even give us a whole bag. ha

Poured a slightly cloudy pale yellow color, with a small fizzy white head that sank to a ringlet and held there, dotting the glass with lace. Aroma of toasted cereal grains, corn, light malty sweetness. Much of the same in the taste, corn sugars, toasted grains, toffee-like sweetness, with a little breadiness and grassiness keeping it from being sickeningly sweet. Light body, thin mouthfeel, but nothing unexpected. Easily drinkable even if it's a novelty. Definitely took some guts for Voodoo to make a beer like this, and while it wasn't really something I'd drink normally, you really can't beat it for that they were going for. Name a better malt liquor.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

We opened this near the end of a tasting so perhaps it wasn't fair but even for the style I thought it was bad. Probably with the name VooDoo people figure it has to be good but I didn't care for it. Same taste as bottles of malt liquor that go for far less money.

2.29/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

How does any malt liquor get a 3.5 rAvg? Hard to review something "to style" when the style is "cheap shit". This tastes like corn and sadness.

2.66/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bomber as a super awesome extra from jbwimer. First malt likka in years! Pours a mostly clear but slightly hazy and golden with nearly no head, just a ring of white. Aroma of corn, honey, hay, light fruits. Flavor is corn syrup and sweet malts with a lightly bitter hay finish, some sweet light fruits. slightly off on the way down but not like sucking down a King Cobra. Pretty smooth brew, medium to lighter mouthfeel, and medium carbonation. Leaves that lingering nasty malt liquor flavor on the palate. Overall fun to try but I don't really get why they made this beyond the gimmick. Nevertheless, good for the style and fewer harsh flavors than the gas station stuff. Glad I got to try this one even if it wasn't my favorite. Great tick!

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

L - Light yellow, fizzy white head, ghetto

S - Corn, wheat, sweaty flannel

T - Corn and bad decisions

F - "Feel pretty good. I'm not, uh, I'm not scared at all. I just feel kind of...feel kind of invincible."

O - A fun novelty for all hipsters to over-rate because of the stellar brewery name on the bottle.

to view more.