#nofilter - Voodoo Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: tommyguz on 12-01-2013)
Reviews by OnWisconsin:

OnWisconsin, Mar 24, 2014

bsideone, Jun 29, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from the 22oz bottle to form a tight head atop a cloudy golden base.

The flavors are quite refreshing. Earthy and malty with citrus notes (faint lemon) and a hint of tartness.

The weather is getting warmer and this was a great beer to say good-bye to winter!

Note- Admittedly, I am quite surprised by some of the reviews. I did not experience any off-flavors at all. That is very unfortunate, but I am a little glad that I purchased before reading the reviews because it was well worth it.

BlitzShadow, Mar 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The hash tag series has been interesting one offs from Matt Allyn and company at Voodoo brewing, I had the #22oztofreedom. An homage to one of my favorite bands Sublime, my buddy and I were about to crack this one and he asked what it was, my reply: I have no idea, but I bet it's a saison. Appears a pale hazed golden amber body with bright white head, fine speckled sporadic lacing. Aromatics bring out Belgian yeast characteristics, lemon peel, a hint of pepper, mild tropical fruit and chalky yeast components. Flavor a bit dead on arrival, and boring. Please voodoo send us some barrel aged beer and barleywines in Pittsburgh, don't ship it all to Philly please!!! Chalky yeast, spicy Belgian yeast, bitter citrus peel, more lemon zest here than orange. Mouthfeel is bit flat on carbonation for this style of beer the Belgians know how to bring the effervescence, bitter dry yeast lingers into a realm of blah. Overall, I've had so many more expressive Saisons, I'm just glad this was 22 ounces for $6.95.

WVbeergeek, Mar 04, 2014

Stigs, Jan 11, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Prairie Teku glass from a 22 oz bottle

A- Hazy Golden amber coloring. fluff off white head that dissipated a little quicker than I would have liked. Not overly carbonated.

S- Smells amazing. Big notes from the yeast, lemon, pepper earthyness, classic saison smells. This is where the beer shines.

T- Again big flavors from the yeast, lots of lemon, other citrus perhaps, little bit of pepper.

M- Good body, maybe a bigger body than most saisons I've had have had. Not as carbonated as I would have liked but this is quenching.

Overall- I liked this beer much more on tap at voodoo. I'm not sure if they didn't get the carbonation they wanted in the bottles. I've had better and I've certainly had worse. This is a very good beer though and they executed it very well. Great beer to drink on a porch in the summer.I hope they make more saisons in the future.

Evahflow, Apr 08, 2014

oline73, Mar 08, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

DarthKostrizer, Jul 21, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never seen Voodoo do a Saison before so I was interested enough to put down 7 bucks for the bomber.
A - Somewhat dark hazy yellow with a 1/4 inch of soapy head. Lacing is pretty nice.
S - Well I didn't get much funk maybe basic Belgium yeasts and some bread. Huh not much spicing either. I sip.
T - Not very good it has a sort of herbal medicinal hard water taste I couldn't get passed until half the bottle when it killed my taste buds a bit. Not really close to the style it had no peppery bite, or any coriander, or any lemon. Maybe a touch of funky yeast but mostly just muddled not even sweet and fruity yeasts and some herbal hops.
M - Even though its listed as a "session saison this beer drinks a touch over a medium to even a heavy body. Kind of a chore to finish.

Overall I guess not every experimental beer is to succeed. I kind of wish this was a 12oz format so I wouldn't have wasted so much on it . In a way I kind of wish they done more with it like adding some fruit I love some cherries or even added some sweet tea. This is not worth the buy pass.

DrDemento456, Jan 06, 2014

calcnerd, Mar 27, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from the Beer Shoppe.

Poured into a Voodoo teku. Burnt orange color, cloudy and opaque, with a small cap of white head that quickly sank to a thin ringlet, minimal lacing. Grainy aroma, sulfur, funky wet grass. The taste was similar, hay, grassy funk, grains, sulfur, hints of pear, peppery spice...more hay. Decent, but not very tasty. I'd consider it perhaps past its prime, but considering the beer just came out recently, I guess that's not necessarily the case. Light-medium body, crisp mouthfeel, lower carbonation, but somewhat metallic and uncomfortable. Not bad, but not something I'd go for again.

Rifugium, Feb 23, 2014