Black Magick - Voodoo Brewing Company

Black MagickBlack Magick

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Bmoyer0301:
Bmoyer0301

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance:

Tonight I decided to use my crystal whiskey snifter that came with my Sam Adams Utopias bottle. This baby is perfect for catching all the small nuances from the aroma and even opens up the beer a lot more than a normal goblet, and not to mention its really classy looking. As I pried off the cap on this twelve ounce bottle there was just a faint hiss that leaked out and that was it, nothing real loud or noticeable. On the pour I decided to go straight on and try to entice a thick head since it is very high ABV and syrupy looking. When I was done I was left with just a tiny spotty head that faded away quite quickly, but it was one of the darkest I have ever seen on a beer almost like a Hershey bar sitting on top of the liquid. As for color I'm getting nothing less than the blackest black you can imagine and this baby is thick looking like a heavy soy sauce. I gave the devilish looking brew a big swirl and got a heavy amount of lacing which crawls down the walls of my glass slowly.

Smell:

Right now my glass is at arm's reach on the coffee table and I can get a clear bouquet of bourbon and dark cocoa from here without even trying. As I reach for it and bring it in closer the bourbon gets bigger and bigger with vanilla shooting through, and mocha like coffee swirling around the nose. For being 15% ABV it really hides the alcohol heat well, and in the finish I'm getting a large amount of dark fudge chocolate (like the kind you get smothered all over your favorite ice cream). Slight ash and tobacco with just a touch of vanilla rounds out the whole package.

Taste:

Whoa, this is almost like I fell into the dark chocolate mixing tank at the Hershey plant. Very roasty and full of black malts that almost make this beer have a slight dryness up front. I am searching for the alcohol but can't pull out a drop, this baby is as smooth as it gets almost flirting with too drinkable. Sweet vanilla and oak start to come through as the glass gets a little warmer, and then comes the bourbon punch I was waiting for. Very thick and syrupy which coats my mouth and leaves a warming feeling in my stomach after every sip, I can't wait to see how this beer tastes after a few years. I also wanted to mention that I just burped and it literally tasted like I did two or three shots of a sharp bourbon, man this is awesome. Not one flavor really stands out in this beer and I really like that because I feel it makes for a better complex taste. On the finish, it just melts away with more chocolate and vanilla leaving you with an excellent smooth taste in the back of your throat.

Drinkability:

In my opinion barrel aged beers don't come much better than this, big and bold with such complexity and such a smooth flavor. This is a perfect candidate for aging and will make for a great nightcap and I can only see this getting better and better. Well it's not an everyday kind of beer, but that being said this stuff is super complex and a true whiskey bomb. Not for the faint of heart but if you like em from the barrel this one is for you. If you come across this beer I'd say grab one for now and to age because this is a great beer for the long haul.

03-15-2011 21:00:14 | More by Bmoyer0301
vande

06-22-2014 19:23:52 | More by vande
egrace84

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to my boy ryanschwam for sending this retired gem my way!

A: poured vigorously into snifter. Pitch black, no head to be found, just an outer ring of foam/lacing around the glass.

S: notes of leather, heavy oak and tobacco, the slightest bit of oxidation and booze.

T: this thing still tastes like a million bucks for the age she has on her! Huge oak and tobacco/leather notes, chocolate/vanilla and noticeable, but super smooth bourbon. I couldn't be more impressed w/ the taste on this one.

M: on the low side, but works well here because the taste just cuts through everything. I'm so blown away by the flavor profile on this beer that everything else has become an afterthought.

O: an incredible treat that I thought I'd never get to experience. The highlight of this one for me, was the taste. A true sipper that's held it's own for the last 5 years and I couldn't be happier to have had the opportunity to enjoy it. Thanks again Ryan!

05-15-2014 02:20:16 | More by egrace84

02-16-2014 12:01:13 | More by HoppyBastard2
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2011 bottle. Thanks Mikesgroove!

Appearance. Pours thick and black with a very thin orangy brown head that rises up after the pour and fades quickly to a faint ring.

Smell. Wow, much bourbon, so beer! Anyways, ya lots of bourbon, licorice and some dark chocolate, a bit of wood and vanilla.

Taste. Good amount of bourbon again, black licorice, some bakers chocolate in the finish followed by a little bit of bitter oak.

Mouthfeel. Full body, actually quite thick and a little bit sticky on the lips. Very low and smooth carbonation.

Overall. Not the best tasting beer but an enjoyable bourbon bomb. If I was a big bourbon fan this would probably kick more ass.

02-10-2014 03:35:28 | More by Rutager

09-20-2013 03:15:57 | More by mendvicdog
IrishColonial

09-20-2013 03:11:32 | More by IrishColonial
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

08-18-2013 14:39:59 | More by sliverX

08-12-2013 17:48:09 | More by imfrommichigan
Phelps

Arizona

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Sent by sholland119 as part of the Blind Beers BIF. I poured it into my New Belgium globe. A fairly rough pour begets hardly any head at all -- the black syrup coming out of the wrapped bottle gives up just a few tan bubbles.

Smooth cocoa, a hint of anise, some molasses, a little maple, some lactose, hints of hops both piney and earthy.

I can tell this is a powerful stout. Ethanol is the major flavor contributor, assaulting tongue, throat and nostrils with trip to the lips. Beneath the booze, some dark fruits (plums, prunes) can be detected along with dark chocolate, anise, toast and a smooth nuttiness. Earthy hops are here as well.

The body is as ginormous as I expect the alcohol content to be -- this stuff is thick as heavy cream. Carbonation is mild yet pinching. Alcohol is currently providing me way more warmth than is necessary on this balmy Arizona summer night.

A thick, powerful brew. If I had it again, I'd probably try to find at least two other people with whom I could split the bottle.

07-17-2013 07:25:15 | More by Phelps
dgherm

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

07-15-2013 13:40:21 | More by dgherm
nrs207

07-12-2013 17:37:17 | More by nrs207
kawilliams81

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%

2011 vintage. 12 oz hand bottled by brewer poured into snifter.

Pours black with almost zero head and no lacing.

Huge bourbon notes, some vanilla, oxidation, dark fruits, tobacco

Semi sweet chocolate, bourbon, faint vanilla, very port like.

Good BA stout, but think its past its prime. Big port characteristics along with bourbon. Like to try and get a fresh bottle.

07-03-2013 03:34:50 | More by kawilliams81