Black Magick - Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

Best Imerial Stout I've ever had!
A-Dark as can be of course.
S-The smell on this can only be descibed as Mystical Unicorn Farts, which is the best smell in the world.
T-like heaven in a glass
O-The new King of Stouts
Drink It! It's Good!
Pappy Says So....

Serving- 12oz bottle, 2011 Vintage poured into 4oz snifter.

Appearance- Deep Black with a tan laced perimeter ring on the snifter, You can not see through this midnight beauty even when held up to full light. However,you can make out a separation due to the buoyancy and density differences the barrel aging has created.

Smell- Bittersweet chocolate, soy, molasses, bourbon, caramel and butterscotch.

Taste- Vanilla, caramel and bourbon, transforming to a coffee subdued hop bitterness. Sweet butter scotch and earthy smoked malt is at the very bottom with an alcohol warming effect on the palate while this beer is cold. This alcohol seems completely hidden when this hits about 60 degrees and the overall flavor continues to develop as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel- slick, but not lingering like a typical stout or barrel aged barley wine of this character. Leaves a nice rich, yet clean feeling in the mouth. I would compare it to a caramello bar smoothness but without that stickiness and more of a crisp finish.

Overall- 15.5% masterpiece I will continue to cellar and seek out this brew year after year. Black magick, your voodoo spell is upon me and I am enjoying every minute of it.

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

I received this unlabeled bottle from a very kind Guzzle yesterday. I initially thought it was a homebrew, but he corrected me, and I wasted no time in cracking this as it has been on my want list for a long time. Served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass. This one was consumed on 11/18/2008.

The pour was as rich and dark and menacing as you could imagine. Just black as night with nothing discernable coming through on here at all. A smallish tan head then came up over the top and settled down effortlessly in the glass, producing some nice side glass lacing and an overall just really big look to this.

The aroma though was to die for. Rich bourbon and whiskey like smell. This was the biggest, and if not top three biggest barrel aromas I have ever come across. You could pick this one up from across the room. Underneath of that was a solid layer of roasted malts, some like smoke notes and a decent touch of molasses. The flavor again, was one of the best I have come across. Rich notes of vanilla and oak, rush over the tongue and are met with a smack of whiskey flavor. This mellows some in the middle of the palate and introduces a touch of sweetness to it at this time with a hint of coffee and a bitter, almost sour at times bite at the end. Rich and just absolutely huge, I was floored by each and every sip of this gem that I took. I still cannot imagine what the ABV was here, but I felt it when I was done, but not during.

Overall this was a surprise to get, and I am really just blown away by it. One of the best big stouts I have had in I cannot even tell you how long. This is right up there with the big ones for me. As solid as they come!

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

Black with 1cm khaki head. Low retention and spotty lacing.

Roasted character in the nose with some chocolate. Bourbon is present but not Alot. A little oaky.

Flavor is phenomenal and extremely well balanced. Deep, robust and not overly rich. Nice chocolate notes. Mild bourbon and vanilla.

Mouth is just under full bodied. Silky with light creamy carbonation.

Overall this beer is excellent! You'd never know it's 15% abv. I want more!

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

2011 Release

A - A half finger's worth of tightly packed perfectly uniform lush creamy medium-to-dark brown colored head... Minimal retention gives way to a full veil of lace and moderately thick collar... Some deliberately slow paced carbonation to start before turning quite still... The color is not quite black, but rather a deep menacing brown that allows a small bit of light to leak in around the top edge of the glass...

S - A wonderfully complex array of aromas... Raisins... Light enticing bourbon notes... Vanilla... Some roasted malts... A drop or two of soy sauce... Sweet chocolate syrup... Outstanding and nothing short of perfection in this category...

T - A wonderful carbonation of subtle bourbon barrel aging and milk chocolate to start... Very lightly roasted malts... A hint of soy sauce... Vanilla... A touch of licorice on the finish... The bourbon notes linger on the finish in a very delicious way...

M - Luxurious... Uber smooth... Sleek... Full bodied... Did I mention smooth??? Very light carbonation... Sophisticated and worldly...

D - Wow, this is an AWESOME brew... Dangerously drinkable and ridiculously smooth... There aren't enough accolades to go around for this world class offering from Pennsylvania's most underrated breweries...

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

12 ounce unlabeled brown bottle with a silver pry-off cap. Thanks go out to BA'er Jasonm on this one - thanks for the great trade! Reviewed while drinking at the recommended 55-60 degrees.

Initial through after pouring and smelling: "Holy shit! What a pleasant surprise!" I didn't read about the aging on this one in Elijah Craig bourbon barrels, but when I cracked it open I knew instantly!

Black with a dark brown (evil!) head that disappeared in a hurry leaving a permanent dark brown ring around my tulip glass. Long, oily brown and gooey legs stuck around on the walls of my glass after sipping.

This is the most "bourbon-forward" beer I've ever had. Hints of cherry, vanilla, cocoa, raw alcohol all over the place - very complex and there's bourbon all over the nose and tongue. Intensely full flavored and medium bodied with low carbonation.

VERY IMPRESSED, I want a case of this for myself!!! This is like a barrel aged American Strong Ale hybridized with a Russian Imperial Stout - wow, but not for the BMC crowd...

Definitely in my personal top 5 favorite beers for 2008!

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. oh boy.

A: Evil looking, extremely viscous pour. Liquid is opaque dark brown, nearly black. As expected for this type of beer a thin, bubbly wine like head of small brown bubbles. Very little retention or lacing but the beer coats the glass and appears very thick.
S: Just incredible, even given my high expectations. Incredibly complex, strong barrel aged aromas, heavy on the bourbon and whiskey obviously. Supported by a strong malt background and slight vanilla sweetness.
T: Very rich and complex like the aroma. Begins with vanilla and oak flavors, in the middle has a light chocolate malty flavor and then the whiskey flavors hit and finish is extremely rich and persistent. Also notes of dark fruit, caramel, coffee, etc in alternating sips. I had lowered my expectations for this after reading some other reviews and not particularly caring for GI BCS the only time I tried it and assuming I would feel the same about this. I did not.
M: Maybe only lacking part of this beer. Very slick, medium bodied, coats the mouth, but very low carbonation resulting in it feeling slightly thin.
D: Ok, obviously a 12 oz bottle of this is even worthy of sharing with a friend, but for what this beer is its pretty amazing. The alcohol is present, but never overwhelms the other flavors of the beer. This is pretty incredible and can't wait to try it aged. However, looking at my reviews I notice that I've rated BBVD the same score as this, but personally I prefer that beer over this.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%

I had some voodoo offerings at the grand opening of Bella Vista's new store back in October and have been looking for this one ever since.

A- The label on the bottle is actually pretty funny. It's just a strip of paper taped around the bottle. I poured this one into a sniffer from a 12 oz bottle. Poured pitch black with small tan head that quickly receded to a ring.

S- As you can guess, big bourbon aroma. There is also some nice dark chocolate.

T- Wow, I got a little overwhelmed by the first sip. All i got were some dark flavors and a warming hit of alcohol. After that, the flavors really started to come out. Lots of dark chocolate to start followed by the great bourbon flavor and some roasted malt. The alcohol warms on the way down but is in no way overpowering.

M- This is the only place that i can even begin to complain about this beer. It felt a little on the thin side to me, but again I'm nit picking.

D- This one is a sipper for sure, but man, i could sip on this beer all night long.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%

note: Voodoo's website lists this at 15% abv, rumor has it though that this tops out at 18%.

a: This was absolutley black, no highlights. It poured with a short-lived, dark mocha colored head.

s: Well there certainly isn't anything subtle about this one. Huge, warm, oaky aromas of the best bourbon smells I've found in a beer so far dominate. This doesn't smell boozy or hot, it's just earthy, delicious bourbon with a little vanilla. Amazingly enough, there is plenty of stout to be found here as well; charred, bitter chocolate with a hint of sour cherry.

t: Big chocolatey cocoa flavors start things off. The chocolate is incredibly rich and blends superbly with the spot-on bourbon flavors that come next. The finish is a long lasting perfect combination of the 2. There are also some layers here beyond my ability to describe.

m: Comes up a little short here, I wish the body was a little beefier and the carbonation creamier.

d: Overall, this was a damn near perfect beer, but the body was a bit of a disappoinment. In terms of flavor though, this is right up there with Bourbon County Stout.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

damn! this is a fine RIS. big, black, midnight black with an angry dark brown head. Viscous, rich, bold, brass, did I say viscous, bourbon notes and an amazing roasted / bourbon / vanilla / oak / dark ripe fruites and dark malts note.

DIM - where did you find this and how could you only send one to NH? Thanks for the chance to try this fine brew!

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured jet black from a 12 ounce bottle. Almost no head whatsoever, just a thin layer of bronze on top of the blackness of the beer. Did I mention this is DARK? It really seemed to suck the light out of the room.

The smell on this one is intense, with notes of apples, cinnamon, and a heavy dose of molasses. The alcohol is definitely present, and can threaten to overwhelm the nose.

The taste is very unusual, but is quite pleasant. There's a heavy dose of malt and molasses up front, with a very prominent sweetness. Fruity notes are definitely present as well, mostly apple, with raisin in the background. There's some spice as well, but it's not overpowering. The alcohol burn is there, but I didn't notice much up front; it was more prominent after the sip, as a warming sensation in the throat, chest, and stomach.

The mouthfeel is definitely rich, but not as heavy as might be expected from a brew this viscous. It does coat the tongue, however, and it will persist long after each sip. This is definitely a beer that will throw off your taste buds for quite a while afterward.

For a 15% beer, with such strong flavor, and heavy sweetness, the drinkability is pretty good, but I (and probably most people) would definitely be done after a single bottle). It'd be a great beer with dessert (or waffles), or as a sipper by the fire on a winter night.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first had this beer at Aaron's suggesting at Mister Bones in Greensburg 2 years ago. I poo-pooed it and took one home to be nice. After opening it and sipping my first sip, couldn't get to the phone fast enough to try to secure more of it. alas it was all gone, into the ether to appear a few years later like Brigadoon. Mythical and wondrous in its nature.

Here it is 3 years later and - as vowed - I am sitting on a supply of the new batch. It's a thunderstorm as I crack the first bottle. (Literally, the first lightning of the Spring)

Dark, inky, black - the best aspect of the appearance is the dark tan head. It doesn't even seem friendly in any way. This is the best named beer around. This truly is magical.

But taste is where Matt just kills all competition. Just when you were expecting yet another stout in a barrel - the complexity of this brew just surpasses all expectations.

Boozy aroma, dark, dark, DARK fruits and malt. the bourbon is actually SUBTLE. Vanilla and silk. Taste is all malt and brown sugar. Heady but not overly so. A dozen top shelf breweries could take a lesson.

It's the best of ALL worlds. A barrel aged stout that is light enough to drink more than one of and to enjoy, not just to say you did it. And it's easy to eat with. I don't know how he does it. But he does it. It must be Black. Magick.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottled 2011.

I have had this a few times and figured it was time to review this monster of a stout. Pop the cap not much of a hiss. Poured into my duvel tulip at about 40 degrees.

A: Strong pour down the center of the glass yields a half finger head. Black Magick is dark as night in the middle of Maine! Absolutely zero light penetrates this monster. 4.5

S: Smells of sweet brown sugar and molasses and bourbon. Alcohol tingles the nose and eyes. A little smokey. Overall smells pretty damn awesome. 4.5

T: Wow this is super smoooth. Taste does not even hint at the 15.5% abv. The alcohol that is present in the nose doesn't present itself in the taste. Can't express the smoothness of this strong stout. This has to be the easiest drinking high abv stout I have ever had. As it warms getting notes of chocolate and coffee. 5.0

M: Mouthfeel is oily, and light. I actually wish this was a little thicker although I think the fact that it is on the thinner side leads to its drinkability. 4.0

O: Overall this stout is freakin awesome. It is perfect as a night cap on a lazy sunday evening. So glad I have a few more of these to enjoy in the future. If you have the opportunity you should definitely try this stout. 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer pours a dark brown color. Very limited carbonation. When swirled it really coats the glass, and almost stains it brown. The smell... well imagine what a shot of bourbon mixed with equal parts stout would smell of, and you got it. Smells like a quality bourbon. Taste is much more subdued than the nose would suggest, but the bourbon is present. Great notes of roasted malts, and some coffee notes as well. A well put together beer to say the least. The mouthfeel is the only downfall of this wonderful brew, as it is a bit thin for the style, but hey, who's complaining? I think this beer with 1-2 years on it might be the best thing going, because as it is, it is one of the best beers i have ever had.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%

Received this in a trade from jwelsch, and also came across it at Zeno's. Was really happy to get my hands on a few bottles of this stuff, never thought I'd see it in stores. I've heard so much about this beer and its unique qualities. Originally this beer must have been unlabeled, as the bottle I received in trade is missing the artwork. Cool graffiti work on the label, Voodoo uses some really cool urban graphics on most of their beers. Definitely the beer I wanted to celebrate my 100th review with.

I split a 12oz bottle of this with fellow BAer treyrab, as we poured the bottle into 2 mini tulip glasses. The beer poured like straight molasses, incredibly thick and syrup like. Very still, with no head and no seeing through this black mesmerizing and viscous looking beauty. The lack of head is slightly disappointing, and buy the looks it may be really young still.

As I dipped my nose into the glass, I could of sworn I was smelling a chocolate Vanilla latte from starbucks, with a few shots of a kentucky mash. This is nuts, very reminiscent of the Mikkeller Black, in that it is full of complexity and huge and overwhelming flavors. A lot of vanilla attacks the nose. I'm getting a heap load of oak and bourbon flavors. Supporting acts come through in a nice smooth cocoa scent, and light touches of caramel. This thing is gonna be a monster, no doubt about it, but the smells are very well rounded out with no harshness.

The complexity found in the taste is even greater then that of the scent. To confirm my beliefs in the smell, There is a ton of lovely and smooth bourbon flavors in this beer. It all tastes of oak, but lacking the dryness typically found with this flavor. It's also kind of milky and sweet. This one has thrown me through a loop in trying to identify all that is here. This beer has almost reminded me of a well aged old ale. There are tons of caramel, some light coffee notes in the background, and some charred malts as well. It all comes together in a very smooth manner.

I most likely won't be having another one of these soon, mainly due to its high price tag and over the top abv. With those two components out of the picture, this would be a go to with out hesitation.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%

served from 12oz bottle into crystal snifter
A- Black as a moonless night with a half finger carmel / brown head.
S- complex. lots of rosted malts, currants, oak, bourbon, some coffee notes as well. very nice nose on this one. so much going on.
T- like the nose, there is a ton of complexity. starts out with the roasted malts, then onto the oak. with a bourbon finish. its a sipper, but i cant wait for the next sip.
M- not what i expected at all. i was anticipating a thick one here. much lighter in the mouth than i was expecting.
D- this is one to sip on for sure.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Jet freaking black with a very nice tan head-just enough head that a whole bottle would not fit in my 12 ounce snifter. Really a fine looking brew. Big, boozy and bourbon aroma. Lasting hints of cocoa and anise. Massive roasted and bourbon flavors. A tad harsh and carrying the hint of alcohol that is to be expected but still quite amazing. Nice lingering bourbon traces going on. Mellow oak and vanilla. Great mouthfeel-as boozy as it is it doesnt "burn" per se. WOW-an incredible beer. I really wish I had laid this down a while but was wanting to dive in. A year or 2 of cellaring would make this 5s across the board guaranteed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has finally been making the rounds to some of the bottle shops in PA over the last week or so. I figured that it's time to check out the meat & potatoes of this guy. Thanks to HopDerek for picking this up for me at Capone's in Norristown, PA. $10 per.

12 oz unlabeled and unmarked bottle. Served at 45 degrees F and then allowed to warm up some at room temp. It goes into an oversized Dogfish Head snifter to allow this beast some breathing room.

An aggressive pour into the glass yields a blackness that is as dark as an oil slick with a smallish ¼ finger covering of burnt, reddish looking, dark tan head. This fizzles down pretty darn quickly into a retention that bunches up thinly around the edges with some smallish wisps that float in the center. This leaves a huge creamy cascade of foam down the sides of the glass that sticks around via some oily brown residue and good spotty lacing. The aroma is OMFG! notes of Bourbon, including some vanilla sweetness (that seems to stick in the nose) and a woody oak character. I mean, the Bourbon is so strong at first, that I can literally smell it a good 3 feet away from the glass! The sharpness of the Bourbon smoothes out as it warms; allowing the underlying Imperial Stout qualities to comes out and play. Notes of dark chocolate, caramel, roasted malts, with a touch of coffee and dark fruits. It's hard to go super deep on this because of the Bourbon smell but I'm also picking up some additional dankness of soy sauce and wet tobacco that seem to feature more predominantly as it warms. Of course, there is also a big ole' waft of heat (that combines with the Bourbon) to singe your nose hairs a bit and remind you that your dealing with a beer that has some serious ABV going on with it.

Much like the aroma, the taste profile starts out with strong Bourbon character that smacks you with notes of warm vanilla sweetness. Very good smoothness and balance allows the deeper Stout character to emerge pretty effortlessly and a lot easier than many other Barrel-Aged beers that I've tried. Big chewy flavors of chocolate, roasted malts and coffee, darkish tasting fruits, soy sauce, and a sense of woody oak that gives off a touch of funkiness to the proceedings. The Bourbon strikes back in the finish, leaving a warm sweet smack on the lips that lingers. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a beefy creaminess up front that then thins out a bit towards the end of the swallow. There is a pretty hefty alcohol presence at work here but it only becomes a touch stinging towards the end. It definitely combines with the Bourbon in the finish to leaves a hot and hazy feel on the breath that you might want to keep away from an open flame. The overall feel isn't quite as beefy as some others but I think that the alcohol is covered up pretty well here (for the size) and more than makes up for the depth of the body.

Wow! Lovers of Bourbon, complex Imperial Stouts, or both can rejoice, as it seems that we've got a new Barrel-Aged Beast of the East that can hold its own. This is a hot beer at times and a sipper for sure (and I suspect that the final ABV ended up being higher than 12%) but I never really found it to be too overly stinging and didn't impact the other flavors as much as I would have thought it could have. If you come across this, I'd definitely grab an extra to cellar as this is going to smooth out even more and age nicely. Relax by the fire, light up a stogie, and enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been dying to try this. In fact, I couldn't even wait for anyone else...I just had to jump in by myself and give it a go. Good thing I have an extra.

Apppears an opaue, pitch black with a dark tan, 2 finger head of fluff that slowly fades into a mild collar. Scattered streaks are left around the glass.
Smell is of huge amounts of oak, bourbon, toffee, caramel, huge alchohol in the nose, roasted cocoa, vanilla, molasses, and grape juice.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with fruity grapes, molasses, roasted nuts, and cocoa. Light vanilla, and bourbon round out the finish. Such an extremely complex brew.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, chewy, gummy, oaky, fruity, full of alcoholic heat. Finishes roasty, hot, and semi-dry with some bourbon heat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a thick viscous motor oil looking black with a extremely small tan foam head that quickly dissipates. There is some lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate, vanilla, molasses, bourbon and some alcohol.

T: Starts off with a large amount of chocolate and vanilla flavors. The middle brings more of the chocolate, vanilla flavors but has the added bourbon and molasses taste. It finishes with a slight hint of alcohol.

M: A robust full body that leaves a slightly creamy taste on the palate along with a small alcohol flavor.

D; At 15% this is a slow sipper, good for those crisp cold evenings. One of the better Double Imp Stouts I have had. Certainly worth the price. Would seek this out again and again.

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of therealnomayo.

Purported to be the best thing to come out of PA. Wow... now I am both insanely curious and also really skeptical. I mean, hell, PA brewers produce some pretty solid beer.

Poured into my Cigar City snifter. It sat out a bit before serving, so it's sitting at around 60 degrees or so... ought to be just right for this type of beer.

The beer is extremely thick and it took a very high pour to produce a short head. The beer is black as night and the head is very dark as well. Mild lacey legs are left behind each sip.

The aroma is excellent. Bourbon is very strong, but also very smooth as well. You can tell this is a proper aged bourbon in all of the nuanced vanilla, toasty coconut, and deep oak that is pervasive without also being abrasive like many BA stouts can be. I really respect the breweries that take the time to select good bourbon for their barrels, place good beer to age in those barrels, and invest a good amount of time in the aging of the beer. Time and again I am seeing better and better beer come out of barrels in which it sat for 5, 6, 9+ months before being bottled/consumed.

Also heavy on the nose is chocolate. The base stout is a solid beer (BBVD I want to say I was told?). The extra age on it has mellowed out any ashy char aromas that once played a large role in the aroma of the beer. Now, we just see dense dark chocolate fudge, cocoa powder, toasted bread, and lighter notes of coffee as well. When you mix the aromas of the bourbon with those of the stout an excellent toasted marshmallow scent can be found here, I love it.

The flavor is also something to respect in this beer. I can't give this a "5," simply because the bourbon vastly outshines the stout, and I really want to taste everything that I was smelling. However, this does taste phenomenally delicious. Smooth bourbon applies the flavor of sweet toasted American oak. Vanilla and rum raisin are present, as well as the pleasant chocolate that was in the aroma. About mid palate thick fudge flavors wallow and linger surprisingly long. One also cannot ignore the fruit flavors that the bourbon is coaxing out of the stout. It's sort of a mix of black raisin and strawberry preserves. The finish shows off some bitter espresso flavors too.

The mouthfeel is texturally smooth, with a thick body and low carbonation. Sticky with a bitter bourbony finish. The bourbon isn't really boozy or hot even, just warming down the throat. This aspect is quite mild though, and the 15.5% abv is astounding, as I could drink two of these in the time I would take to drink a fresh Bourbon County Stout of only 13%.

Overall this beer is worth the hype for me. I wish I had another bottle now, I'll bet this stuff ages impeccably. Is this the very best of PA? Well, that one is a tough call. But from what I have sampled so far, I can confidently state that this is the best stout to come out of PA.

Thanks again to Jason for convincing me that I needed to have some of this.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Grabbed this at House of 1000 Beers.

A: Black pour with a really nice brown head. No retention tho, very thin ring forms around the edges and laces only a bit.

S: Hints of Bourbon, lots of chocolate though. Really can't wait to delve into this one. A little boozy and metallic, but not in an entirely bad way.

T: Bourbon up front, followed by tons of delicious chocolate, and only a hint of alcohol. Vanilla and some roastiness on the backend. I enjoyed this more than a few Bourbon aged beers I've had, Dark Intrigue among others. But not quite on the level of Eclipse.

MF: Very heavy bodied, some creaminess. Very dry backend and seemingly a good amount of carbonation

D: Wow 15%. You seriously can't tell. This is the deciding factor for this one. Extremely high ABV and really delicious. One of the top notch Bourbon aged beers on the market. A true rarity from a wonderfully small PA brewery.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I grabbed a 12oz bottle from Capones in Norristown PA.
A: Deep dark black almost looks like used motor oil.
S: When I take a deep whiff I smell roasted malt and alcohol.
T: The first taste is of alcohol. This beer is aged in bourbon barrels and the first sip reminds you of that. It is far from over powering but definatly noticeable.Nice aftertatse of Oak/Vanilla.
M: This beer packs a nice thick body to it.
D: If you are a fan of strong Imperial Stouts this beer is for you. The beer is aged so the "heat" that most high ABV% beers produce isnt too high. If you happen to find this beer anywhere I would suggest you give it a try.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

a recent score from the black booty bif. sweeeet.

pours pitch black with very little head off of a direct center pour. im pretty sure if i held this up to direct sunlight nothing would come through. lacing looks like im drinking a wine or whiskey. the viscosity is intense.

smell is fantastic. i feel like i am putting my nose in a barrel. big oakish vanilla notes hit me predominately in the front followed some nice roasted malts and a touch of chocolate. oh yeah and i almost forgot. booze. from when i opened this and started pouring i got a nice amount of bourbon smell.

taste is nice. this beer is rich. tastes range from chocolate, roasty malts, and boozy dark fruits. drinks very well.

mouth is thick and viscus. i am practically chewing this beer. moderate amount of carbonation.

I really enjoy this beer. hopefully i get more of this out here in california. yum

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Most recent bottling received in a great trade with Centennial.. Thanks a ton Steve.

In my HotD goblet, the brew looks thick, like brownie batter thinned out with grain alcohol .... each swirl stains the glass brown... no head really, just a halo of deeep brown head around the perimeter of the glass...

Nose shows melted bittersweet with a handful of plump raisins.. brown sugar and hints of vanilla.. EtOH is there, but surprisingly not overwhelming at all... hints of dark cherries..

Flavor is rich and comes in waves... enveloping... All the great BA RIS flavors with something that distinctly reminds me of Werthers Originals.. a bit of char/smoke (that I normally don't appreciate) is pulled out nicely with some sweet chocolate essence.. rich and indulgent.. like a royal cordial in liquid form.. bourbon essence is from front to back with a boozy cherry vanilla element that never comes out too much... the finish comes with the above raisins and hints of fig.. and then the smoke comes out... and I am not complaining... talk to my friends, I normally would :-)

Slick... and thick.. touch to describe.. lite small bubble carbonation.. inviting.

I have the previous batch in the basement and can only drool over how I think it has aged. This is still pretty fresh and is a little "boozy", but really, no shit, it is going to be at +15%

I've enjoyed Black Tuesday a few times now... but it always seems like a mess that needed ALOT more time to settle down. This is what "time to settle down" is. Don't rush things, let flavors meld in the barrel and not the bottle... My aged bottle, I bet, is going to be fantastic.

Black Magick from Voodoo Brewing Company