Black Magick - Voodoo Brewing Company

Black MagickBlack Magick

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)
3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle shared by RoyMunson.

Pours black as night with no head at all on the pour. Inky black and devoid of anything.
Wow, what an intense nose on a beer. Don't think I have ever smelled any beer like this. It's hard to even discern what the hell is going on with so much going on.
Taste is bitter chocolate, and a little bit of roast, but there's a ton of alcohol. Due to the high abv the mouthfeel is thin as well.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

served from 12oz bottle into crystal snifter
A- Black as a moonless night with a half finger carmel / brown head.
S- complex. lots of rosted malts, currants, oak, bourbon, some coffee notes as well. very nice nose on this one. so much going on.
T- like the nose, there is a ton of complexity. starts out with the roasted malts, then onto the oak. with a bourbon finish. its a sipper, but i cant wait for the next sip.
M- not what i expected at all. i was anticipating a thick one here. much lighter in the mouth than i was expecting.
D- this is one to sip on for sure.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours black with cinnamon head. Awesome scent of apple skins, cinnamon, banana tempura. Tastes of apple skins, alcoholic burn, bourbon style with a slight dessert feel. LIght-medium body with light carbonation and a zesty sting. A wonderfully different brew with extreme flavors and great characteristics.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Back in January, a stout tasting was held at our house; two 12 oz. bottles of Black Majick arrived courtesy (as I recall) of BA beeraroundtown. One was consumed early in the evening, the other was a leave-behind which has remained nestled in the back corner of the fridge for almost 7 months. Tonight, being our last before a predicted warm spell, seemed as good a night as any to finally break it open. The first bottle was labeled just like the photo; this one is unlabeled - a small hand-written paper dogtag is taped to the neck reading: "Voodoo Black Majick 9/08". Poured to a small snifter.

A: Pours very thick, an impossibly black void. Not a glimmer of light whatsoever. A 1/4" swirl of rusty tan, briefly tinged with a purplish-crimson before fizzling away almost entirely. A slender ring is left circling the glass; a few freckles of film are like faint stars in a moonless sky. Miniscule bubbles hold as if a tiny belt of lace.

S: Replete with bourbon aroma (aged in Elijah Craig casks), a woody oak that imparts a strong 'berry' fruitiness. Big chocolate as well; a liqueur-laced fudge. A bit over the top on the alcohol, fusel fumes get my nose twitching and cause me to score this a bit lower despite how good this smells otherwise.

T: Almost transcends beer, an alcohol-centric chocolate and coffee filled warmer. Like the aroma, this is full of fruit - earthy and lightly tart blackberries, cherries - and a intense fudge-like chocolate roasts. Reminds me of a robust, very tannic Italian red wine - a Barolo or Barbera are the best I can com up with. Barrels impart an aged woody flavor, a touch of vanilla in the finish, slight charred peat also.

M: Despite a less-than-subtle acidity, feel is incredibly smooth; carbonation completely subdued. It's by no means 'flat'; the feel is silky, velvety. A coating drape of bittersweet cocoa engulfs the mouth. Beyond the mouth, there's a notable chest-filling warmth.

D: Whew! A damn fine brew: huge and flavorful, a wallop of alcohol. Highly enjoyable, but tough to finish by myself. Sipping 12 oz. took well over an hour, partial due to its heft, but also because the richness of flavors began to get tiresome. Would never refuse another, but would warn others to proceed with caution. Would love to have this again with a couple more years of mellowing age.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A very quick fading head barely reaches one finger before it fades leaving no trace. The color of the head is a black and brown salt and pepper like mixture. Nose is very port like with notes of over ripe dark fruit and soft creamy chocolate, very appetizing. Taste really jumps away from the nose as you take first sip. Flavors are more along the lines of tobacco leaves, dark fruit which is slightly soured on the back side and smokey peat based bourbon notes. If I didn't know better I would have said this was aged in scotch barrels. Longly bitter and darkly rich on the back of the tongue leading to a thick almost sharp mouthfeel. Drinkability is solid for such a big all night sipper.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

A huge shout out and thanks to Dim for making this one happen. I pored a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass it produced a finger worth of dark chocolate colored head that dissipated rather quickly leaving a thin lace. The body of the brew was a midnight black in color.

There was a huge bourbon aroma coming from this brew. Basically that was all you could get from the nose other than the typical vanilla and oak. It was a little hot at first but the after taste was really quite enjoyable. That is where you get all the wonderful flavors.
I tasted the flavor of bourbon and roasted malts along with some vanilla. It had a medium feel in my mouth with light carbonation for my tongue.

A very sipable beer if that is a word. I finished the 12 oz and enjoyed every drop. It was defiantly a brew that I would only drink one of in a sitting but would love to have again

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle acquired in a trade into my Bruery tulip. I heard about this beer after telling someone I had recently fallen in love with KBS - they proclaimed this beer to be far superior. So, needless to say, expectations were high.

Appearance was about as expected - very dark, high viscosity, little to no head (even from an aggressive pour), but some clouds remained for a while.

When I first stuck my nose into the glass, I really thought I'd found KBS' match. Punched in the face with that pleasant mesh of vanilla and bourbon, with some sweet caramel hints. Very pleasant.

I can't remember trying a beer where the taste was so far separate from the smell. Vanilla is almost completely absent, and the bourbon is basically unnoticeable. What we're left with is dark malts, licorice, and molasses. Such a shame.

Mouthfeel isn't anything special, and the body feels much thinner than I'd thought from looking at it. Drinkability is low.

Disappointing, but ah well. They can't all be the best. It's worth a try for a stout lover.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Black Magick was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my brandy snifter.

A: One of the thickest looking beers I've ever seen! Thick and viscous, this black brew formed a decent 1-finger head that soon alleviated itself due to the heavy soda-like carbonation exhibited along the sides of the glass.

S: An immediate and robust bourbon aroma with almost undetectable hints of caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and oak all mixed together. Very similar...and I mean "very" similar to the smell given off by Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's amazing how much this beer reminds me of it. Excellent!

T: I really expected a really strong sweet note, due to the smell, but I immediately got an almost overwhelming roasted malt character. I sat there, sip after sip, but couldn't pick out anything specific. Perhaps caramel? Really not sure. Good...but I think it's missing that sugary/sweet quality that I think would bring over the top.

M: Even though I could hear the carbonation coming off this brew...it settled nicely on the palate and complemented this viscous liquid quite well.

D: Not quite sure what to say. The alcohol was hidden exceptionally and there were many things I enjoyed about the beer...but, there were some things I believe were missing. I guess the best way to describe Black Magick would be to say if it were on tap somewhere...I would definitely have a glass...but no more than that.

Overall: I would say a hybrid of both the Stone RIS and BCS. A good beer that should be sampled by many. Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to a trade with jwelsh a while back for this bottle. I didn't mean to open this bottle, but I knocked it out of the mini-fridge and the cap started fizzing, so I figured why not?
Served at 50F in a Westy Chalice.

A - One of the thickest beers I've ever seen. Since it had been shaken up a little, a decent 1cm dark chocolate head rises. No lacing yet.

S - Oh man, what a lovely smell. Good strong barrel smell; lots of oak, vanilla, and some sweet butterscotch. A good amount of roasted malts, but still pleasantly sweet. The alcohol hides extremely well behind the barrel.

T - The smell really builds you up, and the taste just isn't quite there. It's still very well balance, but you lose out on a lot of the subtle nuance of the smell. Mainly a chocolate oak, with a good roasted malt backbone.

M/D - A thick oily beer that coats your mouth. It's a definite sipper, but doesn't really lead on to it 15%abv by just barely warming you from the inside out.

I really need to get another bottle of this to lay down for a few years, or just to share with someone!

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased a number of months ago. And stored out of light. Mouthfeel and smooth mouthfeel made this a winner. Instead of a heavy feel a light whiskey stout makes for a great taste. Super complex smell. I love this brew. Well worth the money.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to oglmcdgl for this in a trade.

12 ounce poured into a Darkness snifter.

A - Pours black, with a thin mocha head that quickly became a ring aroung. Very slight lacing.

S - Bourbon, followed by roasted malt.

T - Dominated by Bourbon, some chocolate and vanilla before the warm alcohol finish.

M - Moderate carbonation, full body.

D - One and done, but isn't that what this style is about? It's a very well done beer. I think that it would be even better aged to let it mellow just a bit.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks goes out to mikereaser for this brew.

12oz. Bottle Un-Labled

Poured into a chalice a dark thick black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tan head, with mostly small oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice oak/bourbon notes, chocolate/toffee. The taste is malty, sweet, the oak/bourbon notes are pretty up front, vanilla, some licorice. Full/Medium body, definitely a sipper at this high ABV. Very Drinkable, man this is a big/extreme brew, glad to have gotten a chance to try it, thanks Mike.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Received as an extra from a generous vwcraig. Thanks man. Poured into my snifter, the beer is pitch black with a small dark brown head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is the best part of this beer. Delicious bourbon reinforced by a foray of rich chocolate. There's a lot of booze and sweetness, as well as some blackstrap molasses, vanilla, wood, and dark fruits. The aroma is wonderfully complex.

The flavor is rich chocolate and boozy molasses initially, with some roasted character and wood. The alcohol is powerful, as I expected with a 15% beer. The finish rich and alcoholic, with molasses and some sweetness. The beer leaves a strange acrid medicinal flavor lingering on my palate. It reminds me of burnt plastic.

The beer is full bodied with very low carbonation, and a smooth, viscous mouthfeel.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Live Review. This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I purchased at the Erie Brew Fest at the Brewerie in Erie, PA this year. No observed "best by" date but could it possibly matter? This beer could be cellared for years I am sure. I bought it for $11.00 and it is the 8th and final Voodoo beer that I will sample and rate.

A Actually a dark brown head (the first that I have ever seen) over an ink black body that also resembles motor oil. Very appropriate to the style, the name etc. The look is incredible.

S Wow, bourbon is in the front of the nose followed closely by a dark, roasted malt. The smell is a bit pungeant for me but this is going to be one hell of a beer!

T Huge, Huge roasted malt with distinct bourbon tastes and a punch of alcohol. I have to compare this to the Big Black Voodoo Daddy (same brewer, same style as listed here on BA) and say that this is much more harsh that the BBVD. The bourbon taste in the foreground and the kick of alchohol set it immediately apart from the smooth as silk and chocolately taste of BBVD. I enjoy this taste as an aftertaste actually but the primary taste is almost too much. As it warmed the taste was much more approachable and the beer softened quite a bit. Actually, it became so good that I am giving it the highest rating.

M Somewhat harsh, like drinking a shot of bourbon really but the aftertaste reveals somewhat of a smoothness but you need to get to the aftertaste to taste it (if that makes any sense!).

D One and done for sure but it is not supposed to be a session beer. For the style and the ABV, it has good drinkability.

Notes: A fitting conclusion to the 8 current beers from Voodoo that I have tasted as this is the most bodacious, adventurous and biggest beer in their lineup. Fitting in that it is an apertif and it is the final one that I tasted. I think that Voodoo Brewing Company is my favorite brewery because they show a artistic mastery over a wide range of styles (that is more impressive to me than having one or two great beers and a bunch of duds). This clearly outdoes Founder's Breakfast Stout and makes me want to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Cheers to Mat and Justin and everyone at Vooddo. A GREAT amercian Brewery!

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-black stout with a motor oil consistency and a small foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted malt is detectable but mainly dominated by bourbon notes. Taste is also dominated by bourbon notes with a bit too much alcohol for my taste with light vanilla finish. Body is full with good carbonation and alcohol is too apparent. Very well done but I can't say I enjoy barrel-aging with alcohol is so present.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

I got this through my beer club, and it sat around for awhile. This was because of the nondescript appearance, I got it mixed up with some of my home brews. Needless to say, I was very surprised to see this mysterious black brew pouring from what I thought was a celebration ale (at first I thought something terrible had happened)!

Once I realized what it was, it actually became more mysterious. It smells heavily of vanilla and bourbon, I believe this is because its' aged in bourbon barrels.

The alcohol taste was pretty heavy, but what do you expect with a beer like this?

The overall flavor was surprisingly subtle. Looking past the overwhelming alcohol taste, you'll find the flavor of a fine aged bourbon. Beneath that is a deliciously thick layer of vanilla.

The best thing about this beer is probably the mystery of it all. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to drink it again, but I would go out of my way to buy it again just to give my friends the experience. It is unlike anything I've ever tasted, and the mysteriousness of the unlabeled bottle and cap made me more curious about everything, heightening my senses.

If you want to explore a mystery beer, this is definitely just the ticket for you!

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Just about the most mysterious beer I have ever poured with the darkest head I have ever seen; with the high ABV, I wasn't sure what to expect but the head retained for a while, but didn't leave much lace

Smell: Truly the highlight of the beer, with a boozy bourbon aroma along with plenty of dark chocolate

Taste: Very roasty up front, with the fruity bourbon taking over in a few seconds, with lots of wood and vanilla amidst the boozy acidity; after the swallow, the vanilla becomes more prominent, with plenty of bourbon in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; lots of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: This beer may need a few years of aging to settle down; right now, it is just too rambunctious

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz. bottle courtesy of SteveMcqueenjr. Beer #8 (also my 500th review) to round out the "Motha of all Stout Tastings." Bottle had no label, so I'm unsure of the vintage. Poured black as night with no head and a thin band embedded with tiny bubbles. Nose is a kick in the nuts aroma of bourbon with the merest suggestion of vanilla. Huge bourbon taste; the most I've ever experienced in a barrel-aged beer (it's like drinking boutbon). Also shows a ton of alcohol heat. Mouthfeel is viscous and lightly carbonated. Drinkability on this one was tough - way too much bourbon. I have a spare bottle that I might cellar for a while to see if it smooths out, but this is really jagged.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Spied a couple of bottles at my local sixer shoppe, and grabbed these bad boys up. One for now and another for next year or thereafter.
S - OMG the first thing that hits you is the bourbon. From the moment you crack the bottle until the last drop is drained, the overwhelming aroma is the bourbon. For a former bourbon abuser this is not a put-off, but if you're not a fan of bourbon flavor and aroma you can be excused now... this ones not for you.
A- I think I probably had the bottle too cold when I cracked and poured it because I got absolutely no head. Zero. Lots of carbonation getting out of suspension tho, because I'd swear my glass fizzed for 30 secs. or more. The color is jet black, think used motor oil and you're there. No light will ever penetrate this brew. The red-brown bubbles rising to the top had an interesting effect. Too bad the show didn't last. No lacing held to the glass either.
T - Lots & lots of bourbon taste, along with some oak and of course malty sweetness, not too sweet tho. Nicely balanced. My palate is not very sophisticated or discerning so I don't pick up on subtle flavors very well.
M - The mouthfeel was probably the most disappointing part of my experience. With a BIG beer (15.5%) like this, I pretty much expected it to be much thicker. Don't expect watery tho, 'cause it's not.
D - BM will never be mistaken for a session beer, but surprisingly it is quite drinkable. The alcohol is decidedly present but there's almost no "burn." It pretty much gets covered up by the bourbon. Drinking two of these wouldn't have been a problem at all. I enjoyed this brew so much, that I was sorely tempted to go to the "cellar" and pull bottle #2 out, but no... I'll wait til next year and see if the bourbon mellows.

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Deep dark black pour with virtually no head, almost looks still in the glass. Syrupy entrails cling to the side of the top of the glass. Aromas of bold dark malts that are somewhat roasted with lots of dark fruits and a backbone that's boozy and has some soy sauce accents as well. Slightly smoky to boot. A bit odd.

First sip brings a blast of big roasted malts upfront. Somewhat sweet and syrupy with lots of fruit flavors along with a dose of smokiness. Boozy accents hit midway down and bring in some big, slightly overbearing alcohol heat. Overly extreme in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is thick and again slightly syrupy. A bit too much residual sweetness and alcohol here. I think this one could have been better if the abv was ratcheted down a few notches. Thanks to autumnaldave for sharing the 12oz bottle, as 6oz of this was more than enough - not a big fan of this one now but maybe some age on it would help.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this one from treyrab, thanks brotha!

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick motor oil black with a quick half finger dark brown head that falls to an outter ring of bubbles around the glass. A few spotty legs cling to the sides, but not a whole lot. Let's just say you can smell this bad boy from across the room. Big bourbon aroma mostly with caramel and brownie batter, not much else. Taste is superb. Starts with the sweet bourbon followed by roasted coffee beans and rich chocolate. Molasses and vanilla midway with more warming bourbon. Aftertaste is sweet and, what else, bourbony with oak and dark fruits. Thick, chewy, hefty body...just a big ass beer. Light and fitting carbonation with a somewhat slick feel in the mouth. This is by far the most bourbon I've experienced in a beer, yet it's still not over the top. If you like your bourbon, you'll like this beer. Damn, I said bourbon A LOT in this review. Hoping I can get another one of these so I can throw it in the cellar.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce unlabeled bottle received in a trade with KRAMER17801, thanks again Jason for sending this my way, split with my dad tonight, poured into my new St. Bernardus stange, color is pitch black without a spec of light going through, thin 1/4 inch tan head that sticks around a long time actually, really good retention, no lacing though, aroma consists of a lot of whiskey and having Elijah Craig in the past and actually quite recently, I can honestly say that you can smell it in this beer, also get roasted malts, burned toffee, dark chocolate, hint of oak, and booze, starts off with a lot of bourbon, roasted malts and burnt accents make up the middle, finish is dry with dark cocoa and more whiskey, warms up nicely and some sweetness comes out although it is not much, lots of dryness all the way through, bourbon plays a major role in its taste, there is a roasty, dry, hot, rich, and thick mouthfeel, full bodied, light level of carbonation, taste lingers a long time, could have drank this bottle myself but why do that when it is fifteen percent, nice sipper that should be shared with at least one if not two, alcohol is not disguised but it is not overpowering either, actually smooth at times, decent drinkability, glad to have tried another Top 100 brew, second beer from Voodoo now and I have liked them both, not my favorite imperial stout ever but it is good, would drink it again, especially would be interesting with some age, a few years should do wonder to its flavor, recommended

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Can't get much more of a perfect pairing than Black Magick and Donnie Darko. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel snifter.

A- Loved the appearance of the artwork, especially Dyan's cryptic handwriting on the bottle top ;) Pours the blackest of the black. Very little head, just a thin ring brown head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Strong, I mean STRONG, scents of bourbon infiltrate the nostrils. What little bit of my senses are left can detect a slight hint of vanilla and oak.

T- Initially, bourbon and oak dominant the palate. As the taste progresses, vanilla and trace amounts of molasses make an appearance. The beer finishes with a strong alcoholic burn that just lights the chest hairs on fire. The taste was not overly complex as the bourbon masked a lot of the flavor.

M- Lacking a bit in this area. From such a strong, bourbon beer I was hoping for something a little more full bodied...somewhat like motor oil, just like the appearance.

D- The warmer the beer, the more drinkable it became.

Overall, I'm afraid to think how strong the bourbon flavor was when this was fresh. I think this beer will definitely benefit with some age, as the bourbon will have a chance to mellow out and allow more of the complex flavors to come out. Good thing I have a couple extra bottles to experiment with. Thanks again Dyan for sending this one my way.

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of vwcraig. The first whiff is actually pretty nice and reminiscent of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Booze, chocolate cake, booze, alcohol and booze dominate the flavor and the aroma. The consistency is syrupy at times. This beer has good enough flavor and aroma if you can get past the high ABV which I cannot. I guess I juts don't really see the point of a 15% beer when 10% would work so much better on many levels.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my sifter..

A: The blackest, thickest, motor oil of a stout ever to grace my goblet. Builds a furious jet black head that resolves quickly. I think this stuff might melt glass.

S: Pure, high quality bourbon and french oak. Not much else gets beyond that aroma.

T: Toffee, bourbon, oak,gentle alcohol burn, maple syrup, and a faint dark/coffee roasted grain finish. It would take a serious stout to even leave an aftertaste to compete with the rich bourbon flavors in this beer...

M:Thick, viscous, almost feels like a solid. Can you chew this stuff? Perhaps...

D: While this isn't a "session" beer, the alcohol taste is remarkably gentle for a near 16% ale. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and could have possibly sipped down a second in one sitting. For that reason I rate this high on the drinkability scale.

Black Magick from Voodoo Brewing Company