Big Black Voodoo Daddy - Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned
Ratings: 942 | Reviews: 405
Reviews by TheBlackMallard:
4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

After trying a few other Voodoo beers and being disappointed with all of them but Wynona's, which was alright, I decided to give this a try. I didn't think it was going to make it here.

Pours jet black into my snifter with a huge coffee colored head. Plenty of lacing hangs around as it fades.

Smell: Coffee, Licorice, Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Dates, and Vanilla.

Taste: Same as above with huge roasted coffee notes. The oak doesn't show up at all. Full bodied and great carbonation for the abv.

This is definitely a step up from Gran Met and Voodoo Love Child.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I believe this is a new batch released in late 2014, December. (Purple cap)

A Pours pitch black with a small head that diminished to clustered bubbles residing on the rim of the glass. They remain for some time.

S Cocoa and some alcohol heat, as it warms the alcohol heat blends in and is not as noticeable. Soon begins to smell like a brownie.

T Big wave of roasted malt followed by a slightly bitter chocolate that finishes clean. No taste of heat detected in the smell. The chocolate flavor lingers around very pleasantly. As per the label “like a chocolate bar au naturel”

M Slick and smooth, light carbonation is perfect. The beer is aged with oak staves that I would assume lead to the overall smoothness.

O The bottle says you can age it for years but with how it is drinking fresh I can’t see why you would want to do that. Damn tasty stout for the abv, no artificial flavors in any way shape or form. Just traditional ingredients; malts and hops for the win.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle received from ozzylizard as part of the NBS BIF #1. The label differs from that pictured on BA. No obvious freshness date, but at 12 %, I imagine any age it’s got will be fine. Interestingly, while the brewery is quite straightforward as to the malt bill, they do not disclose what sort of hops were used.

Poured a dark brown that was so dark as to be virtually black. There was initially about an inch or so of creamy looking tan foam, though it receeded somewhat after a few minutes. Lots of lace. The beer was completely opaque when held up to light.

The nose was of dark fruit, molasses and coffee.

A bitter flavor at first. Coffeeish bitterness leads the charge. Some dark chocolaty and brown sugary sweetness kicks in immediately afterwards, but the bitterness stays at the head of things. Midway through, there’s a wee bit of acidity and a tanginess that I couldn’t quite pin down. Things finish with a mild but satisfying dryness.

Full bodied, with a coating mouthfeel.

A bitter take on the Imperial Stout. I don’t consider that a bad thing, and rather prefer such an interpretation over many that are a bit too sweet. This might not be the thing to serve to someone who feels differently, however! Thanks again, Ozzylizard!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: The pour isnt as thick as Ten Fidy, Expedition, and the like but its black as black can be with absolutely no light coming through the glass with a one finger mocha colored head

Smell: This right here is how a RIS should smell. A ton of roasted malts and coffee in the forefront along with molasses, chocolate, as well as a hint of alcohol. I already know im going to love the taste.

Taste: Once again plenty of roasted malts and coffee, but the chocolate notes are more prominent in the taste and with the molasses and even slight nuttyness, the result is wonderfully rich and complex flavors.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full bodied, but average for the style; It's amazingly smooth for a 12% beer. So smooth in fact that i wouldve guessed maybe 9%.

Overall: I was expecting greatness with this one, but my mind was blown. Iv had countless RIS and dont say that often. This stout has it all from the pitch black appearance, dark, rich, and complex aromas and flavors of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses, and nuttyness, and the silky smooth mouthfeel, especially considering the abv. This beer reminds me of and is absolutely on par with my favorite stouts from Founders. In my opinion, it exceeds the hype. Go seek this out and if i were you id even trade for it.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

A_Dark brown with a thick cinnamon colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring. Lacing coats the glass.

S_Rich malt,chocolate,espresso.

T_Dark chocolate and roasted malt.A little coffee flavor as well. Woody,smoky,vanilla oak coming through very nicely. Cant believe the abv is 12.5. Nice warming effect.

M_Not as thick as expected but still full bodied.

D_Too good.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

The pour is opaque black with just a slight light brown ring of head around the top. The nose features a bunch of roast with a nice mellow blend of oak, bourbon, and vanilla. This is certainly not the beat you over the head type of BA Impy. Again, the bitter roasted malts and even a bit of an earthy hop character sneak through, and the give way to very enjoyable bourbon barrel aged character. We have a medium body here that is very easy to drink. Just a tad of carbonation to keep it from being flat. The finish is pretty short lived. I find that to be a bit of a bummer. But over all, I think we have a well made barrel aged beer here.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: black in color with minimal head, opaque, low carbonation

Smell: big milk chocolate, roasted malt, and alcohol

Taste: sweet creamy start followed by big milk chocolate and a rich dark coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, low carbonation, sweet with slight bitterness

Drinkability: Wow. This one was the last beer I snuck into my travel bag on my way back from Pennsylvania and I am glad I did. This is my new king in this category which I love. Super malty, super chocolaty without being cloying, I could have several. I did not even realize this was 12% the alcohol is so well hidden. Just an amazing beer.

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours black with a tan head. The aroma is alcohol, tobacco, leather and dark fruit. For the flavor is get notes of chocolate, leather, tobacco, roasted malt and alcohol. Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. This was a pretty good beer, but I went in expecting it to be a great beer and for that reason, I was a little disappointed. Still, I am glad I got to try it.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle shared at a beer tasting/trading - this proved to be my favorite of the afternoon. Thanks Jeff!

Poured into a snifter glass. Jet black, nice mocha-tan head, good retention and lacing.

The nose is superb - coffee, chocolate, caramel, a bit of booze (but indeed, it's not bourbon), toasted malt. Rich and hearty.

Potent stuff. Strong caramel, chocolate and coffee flavor, with a bit of musky leather as well. Finishes bitter and quick.

Surprisingly light-bodied for such a rich and flavorful stout. Creamy, but not as much as I would have liked.

A great imperial stout, really enjoyed sipping on this despite the oppressive summer heat. Good balance of flavors, great nose - a little more body and this would have been sublime.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Big Top (!) in Rosyln my hometown. Pours as black as my heart. Smell is of roasted malt with a hint of bourbon. Nice lacing. Tastes of smooth roasted malt with a bit of the bourbon. More carbonation than expected in a big RIS. A bit of etoh burn on the way down. This should age nicely. Recommended.
Cheers.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a pitch black color with a very thin dark. Brown head. Nose is lightly hot, it's vary dry, some coffee and chocolate but not over the top.

Taste dry, slightly dry, but my lips are sticky, there's a nice smoky finish, there is a nice with a light hop bite on the finish.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber at cellar temp poured into a snifter. not freshness date. purchased this on my trip to erie, PA.

pours out super dark, opaque motor oil black, even watching this go into the glass, this thing is dark. a small fizzy brown colored head that faded to a thin ring within minutes. no lace.

maybe not the huge aroma i was expecting, but still quite nice. some rich, heavily roasted, burnt malt, big solvent alcohol, some coffee and cocoa, a little dark fruits. heavy on the coffee like burnt malt and big alcohol.

rich and full bodied. cocoa, coffee, extra roasted burnt malt. again the big alcohol is there, but nothing offending. definatly warms the palate in a nice way. some nice milk chocolate on the backend and a bit of oak in the finish. bitter deep roasted malt as well. creamy. low on the carbonation.

overall: a really nice impy stout, and im definatly glad i got a chance to try it. this should age nicely. i will definatly pick up more next time i visit erie, but there are a lot of better impy stouts out there, but definatly in my top 20.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle

Thanks to the Pittsburgh gang for sending this to the Cali gang!

Nearly black, though it's truly a very dark brown and dark ruby. The head is small, dark brown, and leaves the glass spotted and oily with stick. Pretty and appropriately thick and viscous.

Big notes of roast and coffee are front and center, along with mild chocolate, and a complementary oak presence. Rich and complete.

The flavor was even better than the aroma: big notes of roasted black malts, some coffee but not as much as in the aroma, bitter chocolate, mild sweetness, and a touch of bitterness. Really quite nice. This was a complete imperial stout and one of the highlights of my evening.

Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

ISO!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up a pair of these at Capone's awhile back and thought I'd crack one open myself with a couple of friends after trading the other. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Appearance- Poured a thick, viscous black that wows my friends who are relatively new to big beers. A dark, dark, dark beer that yields about a half finger of brown head off of an aggressive pour. Head sticks around for awhile before fading down to a ring and a few residual patches. Some mild carbonation beads up the side of the glass and a good deal of stick lacing streaks down the side of the snifter as I drink.

Smell- A solid nose on this one. I pick up on a lot of burnt coffee and roasted malt backed up with smells bitter chocolate. None of the sharp astringency of a 12.5% alcohol content really coming through surprisingly and I suspect it is well hidden by the oak as a result.

Taste- This sure is an easy drinker. Lots of roasted malt and creamy bitter chocolate on the palate for me. Not as much of the burnt coffee comes through as I would have suspected from the nose but there is a lingering trace of it in the taste as well. Lots of smooth oakiness towards the end that pretty much completely hides the alcohol as I suspected. Really goes down easy.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Silky, creamy, smooth. Thick but not overly oily. Not a lot of burning alcohol to detract from the drinkability despite the high alcohol content. Very rich with pleasantly minimal level of carbonation. Extremely high drinkability for the style in my opinion given the great mouthfeel and smooth taste with well hidden alcohol.

Overall, an excellent oak aged imperial stout. Rich, smooth, creamy, and goes down easy. Highly recommended if you have the chance to try it.

Poured from a 22oz.

A: The appearance is pretty good, can see just a little amber light through the edges of the almost black stout. Good, but not great looking stout.

S: Immediately I get a lot of smokiness from the smell, as it warms more sort of caramel sweetness starts to come through. I personally am not a huge fan of smoky stouts/porters but the aroma on BBVD is pretty good despite my lack of preference for smoky beers.

T: Right from the refrigerator, BBVD comes across almost as a smoked porter rather than a stout. However, as soon as it warms even a bit, the smokiness is replaced partly by carmel-ly sweetness tinged with both an earthy hoppiness and a fading dark fruit presence. If you're a fan of monstrous bold coffee/chocolate/sweet stouts, maybe BBVD isn't for you, but it's still a big tasty stout.

M: The mouthfeel is a little light for my preference, but other BA's might call it velvety, silky, or smooth. To me, BBVD is just a little too light/thin for a Russian imperial stout. For perspective, I think BBVD is great to drink beside thinner-bodied beers, but compared to other Russian imperial stouts, it's a little lacking.

O: BBVD is quite enjoyable, by no means a weak beer, but maybe not as exciting as what an experienced BA would expect from a Russian imperial stout. Definitely worth a try, just don't stack it up against other limited release "big boy" stouts.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this stout pours pitch black with a tan head that is very bubbly and quickly subdues to a small ring. This stout is not really leaving any lace, but for 12.5% I can have a little forgiveness.

S: The nose consists of wonderful notes of anise, dark chocolate and a little coffee. Molasses and oak round off the complexity of notes.

T: The flavor is almost as good as the nose. The oak seems to give this beer a depth that doesn't always come through in many stouts. The anise notes really hit home, and there are good notes of bitter dark chocolate on the back of the pallet.

MF: The mouth feel is creamy and almost as full as a really good Belgium dubbel.

Overall, it's interesting to have an oaked aged stout of this depth. It's missing something for me that will take it over the edge, but I really enjoyed this stout.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Definitely pours a pitch black depths of hell kind of color, full thick yet silky smooth head forms with a khaki brown hue. Nice lacing sticks to my chalice with each sip, great stuff. Aroma offers up black licorice anise notes with deep fruit action including ripened plum with a touch of tart earthy berry. Herbal hops are evident with deep cocoa powder and strong dark creamed coffee tones, complex layered brew much more satisfying than the barrel aged brethren. Flavor rides an excellent wave of creamy dark chocolate with bitterness arising from the likes of a dark espresso, heavy fruit notes with more anise like kick. Incredibly well hidden with the 12.5% booze, another strong attribute when comparing this to Black Magick. So far you can't really go wrong with any of Matt Allyn's offerings I'm proud to be associated with Meadville and the surrounding area I was there when Matt brewed at Erie and when he helped upstart at least 3 breweries in a 2 year time span. Definitely a brewing machine, I believe this brew highlights the pinnacle of his offerings but I'm just as crazy about a fresh 22 ounce offering of his Pilzilla. Body is full and chewy with a thick meaty bite into me kinda brew, can't go wrong with this smooth carbonation, drinks really easy. A dangerous brew as far as drinkability goes good thing scarcity and price tag limits me from grabbing more of these brews.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to one of the best traders/people on BA, ericwo, for the assist! Third in the Holy Stout tasting.

Black color with a fair amount of carbonation. A fizzy, tan head which is, of course, customary. It looks good enough to drink!

Lots of roasted malt and coffee and chocolate in the nose. Smells fine! In fact, I find myself wanting to sniff this longer than most beers. Just a treat.

More of the same in the taste with vanilla notes to boot. I liken this to the Sexual Chocolate but with a more rounded experience. This is a pleasant surprise! I can hardly taste the booze and the carbonation is right in line with what I like in an RIS. There's some oakiness present as well. Very, very drinkable.

I hope to enjoy this again!

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

thanks to canjeeps once again.

Pours pitch black with a very thin bubbly khaki head that leaves some spotting.

Aroma is lots of coffee beans, roasted malt, and dark chocolate.

Tastes follow the aroma well with the coffee and chocolate flavors really taking over. The alcohol creeps up on the backend with some oak flavors leading it all up to a nice smokey aftertaste.

Mouhfeel is medium with light carbonation. Very drinkable for the ABV. Goes down smooth and a little too easily.

Overall is excellent! Would for sure drink this again and will try to seek out more of their stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this courtesy of Georgiabeer - thanks!

Pours pitch black with a one-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of roasted malts with good amounts of unsweetened chocolate and bitter coffee. The smell leads me to believe this will lean more toward the bitter end of the spectrum, which I prefer over sweeter IS's.

Tastes like the smell led me to believe. Robust roasted malt flavors up front segue quickly into unsweetened chocolate flavors. The ending brings hints of charred wood right before a bitter ending. The unsweetened chocolate flavors linger a while after the sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness, but I would've like to have seen a bit more. Still, it goes down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing my glass and could sip on this beer for a while despite the 12% ABV.

Overall this is a very tasty beverage and one that didn't disappoint. Well worth a shot.

Purchased through Beerjobber fresh from the brewery.
(360 calories)

Price $29.99/two 22oz bombers

I've really been looking forward to trying this for awhile. An old world ale without the bourbon.

As expected, this one pours pitch black like ink with a lite tan creamy 1/2 inch head. It doesn't take long for the covering to dissipate to a silky sheen with a thick outer ring. As the chalice empties a decoration of lacing begins to unfold and adds to the allure of a quality RIS.

The aroma is fairly strong and dead on for the description. Bakers chocolate, coffee grounds, vanilla, charred wood and a hint of burnt raisins.

On the tastebuds, a big blast of roasted malt, vanilla and coffee start things off followed by black licoric and spices. I'm picking up very little sweetness in both taste and smell but it seems to work well here.

The mouthfeel starts out soft and creamy but slowly creeps it's way to a bitter dry finish thanks to the pine hops. Medium body which matches this beer head on. In the end soft carbonation and a noticeable alcohol warming is felt.

Overall not mind blowing but pretty damn good and potent as well. Look to sip this one on a winters night.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

2010

A: Brutally dark black, beige foam reminiscent of spray on insulation.

S: Barley of a roasted nature, black currants, fresh espresso and bitter hops

T: Dry roasty malts, dark fruits, piney hop presence.

M: Quite drying from the oak, but excellent carbonation providing a little creamy texture.

O: Delicious stout. Oaky for certain but one of the better non-barrel aged stouts I've had. Loving the hops, I'd love to revisit this in a pair of years.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Black, generous head that dispurses quickly. Some residual lace. Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate, and licorice. Medium mouthfeel. An emphasis on bitter over malt, not extreme and I dig it. Good 65 ibu hoppiness, chocolate and coffee next. Emminently drinkable.Better than average IS in an Oscar-competitive franchise.
Gotten in trade.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Opaque with a light brown crown that dwindles but never quite leaves.
Flawless aroma. An abundance of vanilla with mocha, sweet cream and possibly hazelnut.
Both chocolate and coffee play large roles in the makeup of this beer.A woody taste is present in the middle along with some alcohol, and a subtle hop aftertaste is in the finish but so is a coffee ice cream/coffee syrup like sweetness.
Mouthfeel is full for the most part but has a slight watery character that is not ideal for an Imperial Stout.
A fantastic beer that I will search out in the future. Taste was not as bold as I would have liked but Everything Is In Its Right Place.

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, into tulip, hug thanks for this want from KristinCooks in the GDBIF.

A: Big pitch black body, wi low levels of carbonation and a very still looking dark must. The rich tan head is poured with low formation and retention does hold well with the little bit that is formed. Low lacing, but present.

S: Roast at low levels, with a nice on solvent aroma. Medium to low level intensity.

T/M: Warm and rich, in spice and deep plum malty character. Bitterness is at very low level, but hop flavor does come through. Nice level of caramel in the malts and a well blended roasted layer. Mouthfeel is a slight bit on the light side for flavor intensity.

O: Very nice overall smooth character that is light and very toasted, great balancethroughout.

Big Black Voodoo Daddy from Voodoo Brewing Company