Big Black Voodoo Daddy - Voodoo Brewing Company

Big Black Voodoo DaddyBig Black Voodoo Daddy

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)

griffeyb, Apr 08, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Glad to find this one, so I picked a few up. I went back to get more and it was sold out. Damn. Poured into my new Lost Abbey glass thanks to Matt...

A: Pours a black, but from the name one would suggest this would be blacker. The edges show some brown but the head forms from below to form a nice, solid dark mocha head that leaves a thin film.

S: Wow, tons of complex dark scents. Tons of dark chocolate mixed with an interesting smokiness that fits perfectly. Many dark fruits and cherries in the scents as well followed by bitter roast.

T: Starts with a magnificent smoke flavor followed by dark roast, coffee, chocolate and cherries. The flavors are so complex and in your face that it is hard to get all the flavors out. For being so damn big, the alcohol does not show.

Overall, this is a superb, phenomenal stout. Very big and black, just like it suggests. Glad I have another to enjoy and cellar.

treyrab, Dec 21, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Hopbully, Sep 30, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Beer #4 on our Fat Tuesday tasting between ariech6 and myself

Thanks to Axic10 (again) for this amazing extra I hope you're enjoying your extras as much as I'm enjoying mine

A- Very dark, this is in the top 5 darkest beers I've ever poured with Founders Imperial Stout taking top honors in that catagory

S- Lots of roast and coffee malt flavors with some hops in the background. I really like the smell of this as it invokes deep thought into what makes a stout a stout

T- Starts out with big roasty malt notes and leaves the mouth with some nice hoppy bitterness. A big winner in my book

M- Nice and thick just like I like my stouts and women but that's another story for another night

O- Axic10 you are the man for all the beers you hooked me up with. I am eternally in your debt, this beer was amazing and I wish I could buy 6ers of it every weeek

pschul4, Feb 22, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A - Pours out of the bottle deliberately and looks similar to many other imperial stouts out there; black as hell, only the thin consistency compared to some other syrupy stouts allows a few dark cocoa highlights to be seen on the edges. Only about 1-fingers worth of sandy colored head rests on top for a few moments before reducing thin, wispy, spectral threads floating aimlessly in the glass. There's also some moderate lacing to be seen as well.

S - The smell is actually much lighter than I would've thought given the high ABV, but perhaps this could be due to some of the oak mellowing it out a little. There's a lot of coffee and bittersweet chocolate in the nose, mixed with a slight oak woodiness, bringing a bit of vanilla. A faint trace of alcohol astringency can be detected in the very end of the smell.

T - The taste, much like the nose, is more mild than anticipated. As in the nose, coffee and chocolate reign supreme here, with the chocolate gaining the edge on the palate. The oak is hard to distinguish here, but the thing that really surprised me was that the alcohol is almost completely negligible besides a slight appearance in the finish. While the flavors certainly pop, I was expecting a more robust and bold profile. Due to the look, feel, and taste of this beer, I would've pegged it as around a 6-7% stout, but it certainly does a good job of hiding its intentions!

M - Mouthfeel is thin with moderately low carbonation. Full-flavored but not chewy or syrupy. Actually find it a little bit watery. Leaves a thin coating on the mouth.

D - Drinkability is high. I only poured a little over half of the body and saving the rest for tomorrow as I had a long night, but I could easily find myself drinking the whole bomber. The alcohol is surprisingly absent and the flavors and mouthfeel lend itself to be on the more quaffable side of big stouts.

nhindian, Feb 08, 2011

prdstmnky, Jun 26, 2013

blue-dream, Mar 20, 2014

EROCK75, May 20, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Received this fantastic brew in a trade with Mike (Jettanbass9). I asked him to surprise me and this is what he sent...you are the man! Poured from a bottle into snifter.

A- The color is so dark that it would be most similar to staring into an abyss. The blackest of black. Absolutely stunning in its simplicity. Very little tan head formed.

S- Stunning. Usually I give IPA/DIPA the nod for best smell, but this is one of the best smelling RIS I have ever experienced. A bouquet of rich chocolates, malt, and vanilla undertones. Not only was the aroma great, it was pungent. Just filled up the nostrils revealing an incredible scent.

T- Follows the nose. Rich chocolates explode in the mouth, paving the way for molasses type malts to expand. Combine this with a bourbon and vanilla flavor and it's golden. The only thing I did not care for was the coffee-like bitter finish.

M- Would have scored higher if it were a little more viscous. The finish was dry and bitter, when I was expecting something more chewy and thick.

D- I could honestly drink this all day. I mean ALL day. There is nothing more to say here.

Overall, huge thanks to Mike for giving me this wonderful opportunity. It was very reminiscent to the experience I had with an aged Abyss. Definitely one of the top RIS I have had to date.

rhinos00, Jan 09, 2009

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

lpotter, Nov 14, 2011

Kaydogg, Jan 24, 2012

Thanks to JWale73 for sharing this one
Pours black with a tan head which falls to a skim and ring. Smells of chocolate, vanilla, bourbon and roasted malt. I get roasted malt, bitter chocolate and licorice on the taste. The body was on the fuller side of medium with very nice carbonation. Overall a very nice full flavored Impy stout that isn't too full bodied.

ThirstyBird, Nov 16, 2009
4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber in to a snifter-type glass.

A- The body is dark is hell with a half inch of brown head that settles in to a dense cap after a couple minutes.

S- Very very roasty nose. The closest I can compare the scent is to DFH WWS, but with less alcohol presence. Milk chocolate and a little oak are there too.

T- Big flavor. Lots of roastiness. Dry and slightly hoppy with a noticeable alcohol presence. Bitter chocolate and a little oak.

M- Full mouthfeel. Viscous and lightly carbonated. Very nice.

O- A really good imperial stout, especially if you like them drier.

tviz33, Feb 22, 2014