Big Black Voodoo Daddy - Voodoo Brewing Company

Big Black Voodoo DaddyBig Black Voodoo Daddy

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

2009

pours out of the bottle a carmel but is black in the glass, with a small tan head good retention and leaves a laced rim

nice chocolate and nuttyness on the nose

a nice rich chocolate, coffee and nutty

medium to light bodied, and medium carbonation

overall it's a very nice stout seems to have aged well doesn't seem like its lost much flavors.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

22oz bottle with no freshness date. I happen to know that this is this year's batch, but still...if I wanted to cellar this, it would be easy to lose track of how old it is. Not to mention, he doesn't date his Ipa's or Pils either. It's a shame, because I rarely buy his other offerings for this reason.

Pours black in color and was initially topped by two fingers of mocha-brown foam. The head has settled to a thin layer, but there's lacing all over the entire glass. If you hold it to a bright enough light, you can see some dark brown near the top of the beer, but it's pretty much opaque.

The aroma is full of cola & roasted malt. I'm getting a little bit of oak in this, but it's pretty mild. Dark chocolate as well.

A touch of bitterness at the forefront, but it's quickly toned down by a big malt body that carries a velvety creamy texture on it's back. There's some dark chocolate about midway. There's a little bit of bitterness and char that shows up in the finish, but it's not overwhelming.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with a pretty soft carbonation.

An above average Imperial Stout overall.

Morey's Bottom Line: Wow! I'm impressed. This is probably the best Voodoo beer that I've had. It hides that alcohol incredibly well. I have another in the basement that I'll leave there for a year or two, but I can't imagine this getting any more creamy.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - double stout black (I feel like that should be a crayola crayon by now) with a finger of golden brown head that slowly fades into lighter colored foam lumps

S - nutty malts, dark fruits and some bourbon aromas permeate the foam

T - at first, for just a brief moment, maybe I'm crazy, but I sense some tropical fruti sweetness, but this subsides nearly instantly into dark chocolate and coffee flavors held up by roasted nutty malts

M&D - a bit thinner than I expected, but still a nice big chewy stout. the big flavors and the high ABV will put off some, nonetheless a great stout

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Enjoying with my good friend and fellow Beer Advocate pschul4

A: Pitch black, with a good dark orange colored head. Very little head overall, however.

S: Very good. Roasty characteristics make themselves evident along with a uncharacteristically strong hoppy smell that is not found all stouts.

T: Wonderful. It pretty much tastes like it smells. Roasty flavors paired perfectly with some hoppy bitterness.

M: It is fairly light but I feel as though the light mouthfeel is complimented perfectly with the flavor of the beer. If it was a thick, heavy stout it would not be as enjoyable.

O: Very good stout. I enjoy this a lot, as stated earlier, the hoppiness of this beer and the roasty characteristics combine perfectly to make a brew that is very pleasant to my taste buds.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Beer #4 on our Fat Tuesday tasting between ariech6 and myself

Thanks to Axic10 (again) for this amazing extra I hope you're enjoying your extras as much as I'm enjoying mine

A- Very dark, this is in the top 5 darkest beers I've ever poured with Founders Imperial Stout taking top honors in that catagory

S- Lots of roast and coffee malt flavors with some hops in the background. I really like the smell of this as it invokes deep thought into what makes a stout a stout

T- Starts out with big roasty malt notes and leaves the mouth with some nice hoppy bitterness. A big winner in my book

M- Nice and thick just like I like my stouts and women but that's another story for another night

O- Axic10 you are the man for all the beers you hooked me up with. I am eternally in your debt, this beer was amazing and I wish I could buy 6ers of it every weeek

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Big thanks to forcedlaughter for providing this beer in trade. Shared it with some of the boys last night and enjoyed it.

A thick building brown head. Yep, I even was surprised and over poured and spilled an ounce. Oops.
Dark brown with a shiny finish.

Aroma is of dark chocolate, dark roast malt a bit of charcoal.

Lots of chocolate in the flavor with just a touch of charcoal. Lots of roast malts. A little ash in the flavor as well. Heavily roasted malt wins the day here. I see a lot of review mentioning vanilla, barrel aging. I don’t even know if this is barrel aged, and frankly I didn’t get a sense that it was from the flavor.

Certainly thicker in body, but not as bold as others.

It’s good, that’s for sure, but I am not sure I can put it near the epic category.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Thanks to ksurkin for this one. Looks good; pitch black with nice lacing. Smells good too; malty and woody. Taste is a bit of a letdown, although it's still good. Malt and toffee. Mouthfeel is hot, but that would lessen with age. Overall, a good beer that is a little overhyped in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Big Black Daddy, bottle bought at Hawthornes in Philly for about $12.

Appearance: Poured into my Lost Abbey snifter, Big Daddy effortlessly produces a one-finger head that soon recedes into lacing only. The beer looks blacker and darker than the depths of hell, almost menacing on the Abbey glass...

Smell: Rubber, leather, used rental-car tire. Coffee, smoke and hops. Cheap chocolate cake from a dinner in Jersey. All pretty smooth, too much so for a stout this big.

Taste: Chocolate, roastiness. A lot of smoke. Dirty chimney, day-old coffee and some nice hops. Oak and/or wood? Not so much...

Mouthfeel: Disappointing, with low body and carbonation, medium flavor. Boozy-burning finish. Really too thin for a 12% mammoth stout.

Overall: Not a bad stout, but really, at this price (around $12), expectations and hype (don't they age this in "oak staves"?), this ends up not being up to par.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

22oz bottle into oversized snifter. I have a feeling who sent me this bottle, but I can’t be sure. I know it came as an extra over a year ago. Thanks to whomever you are.

A: Pours black with a finger of fluffy and dense dark brown head. The head quickly faded into a thin scum that lasted a decent while and left a few spotty patches of lacing down the glass.
S: I get big notes of dark roasted malts, caramel, toasted marshmallows, oak, chocolate and a bit of volatile alcohol. I get a little bit of vanilla bean and char as well.
T: Follows the nose except flavors are a more smokey/charred/burnt/roasted than the nose let on. The char isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it is noticeable. The finish is full of semisweet chocolate, and the aftertaste has notes of caramel, marshmallows, and smoke. The oak is just barely noticeable in the finish.
M: Full body but it could be fuller. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth but just a tad rough around the edges. Carbonation is decent.
O: A good stout. The smokiness set it apart from some of the other ones I’ve had, but this doesn’t compare to the heavy hitters of the style. Still, I’d drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from bottle into goblet.

Appearance: Black body with an almost non-existent, tan head that immediately disappears leaving very little to no lacing.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee mostly. Some booze. Disappointing.

Taste: More chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts right at the front. Good flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. The alcohol isn't overwhelming. It's mostly only present in the smell. Little to no carbonation.

Overall: Not my favorite stout, but still tasty. A little on the lighter side I'd say. Needs more head and a more complex smell.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber sent to me a very good while back by g311, poured the whole thing into my southampton snifter.

Pours jet black with a pretty large muddy brown head that sticks ever so nicely to the side of the glass the whole time.

Smell is a very nice blend of strong roasted malt with a hint of chocolate.

Roasted malts punch you in the face on the first sip of this beer but as it warms up it gives a subtle maple coca oak-ish taste. 12% ABV is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel seems slightly light and carbonation a little on the high side.

Overall great beer, I hope voodoo starts sending this stuff to ny sometime soon.

Big Black Voodoo Daddy from Voodoo Brewing Company