Big Black Voodoo Daddy | Voodoo Brewing Company

Big Black Voodoo DaddyBig Black Voodoo Daddy

Voodoo Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Reviews: 410 | Ratings: 1,038
4.15/5  rDev -1%

Saved this one for a special occasion; my friend's wedding. Well, post wedding bash.

Cracked open to a wave of dark fruit, alcohol and coffee. Dipping my nose closer to the glass, after pour, reveals tight caramel and loose prune. Rich, enticing. Yum

Looks big, black and voodooish. Off brown, creamy head.

Flavors are big and balanced. Dark fruit in the front and middle. Caramel throughout. Dark chocolate and fudge middle to end. Bitterness creeps in with some coffee on the end. Alcohol breaks up the thickness. This is a fine beer and I'm glad to have it on this night.

Does NOT go well with wedding cake. It demolishes it! hahahahaaa

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from bottle into snifter

Appearance – Pours a deep oil black color with almost no head, but just a thin brown film on the surface. Upon swirling there is a light amount of lacing but overall just thick and black.

Smell – A big aroma of coffee, dark cherry, and milk chocolate meet the nose. These are mixed with lighter notes of vanilla, some dark cherry as well as a bit of bourbon booziness. Very nice.

Taste – The taste begins with a very roasty malt flavor. This is mixed with flavors of coffee, char/smoke and chocolate. Initially these flavors are on the more bitter and dry side, but soon are meet with some sweeter flavors. Vanilla and some caramel come to the tongue and sweeten the taste. As it moves on even more a flavor of dark fruit comes to the tongue. The dark fruit is mostly cherry in nature, but light hints of prune are there as well. At the end some of the sweeter flavors are overrun by an increase in some bitter cocoa, char, expresso as well as a good warming dose of alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel – The beer was of medium thickness and quite smooth and silky with a very low level of carbonation. The smoothness and body really accentuated those roasty flavors with the lower carbonation level only accentuating the flavor as well as allowing the boozy flavor to sit and warm the tongue.

Overall – This was a great tasting Imperial stout. A very nice flavor profile with great aroma and a nice feel. Strong and delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Bomber from '09 into a 25cl Duvel tulip. This one's been in my cellar for a while, and was actually part of one of my very first trades - thanks to Beerman777!

A: Black body with red highlights. One finger of creamy light brown head. Good retention and lacing. Nice.

S: Heavy vanilla, milk chocolate, and some fruity, sherry-like oxidation that's almost reminiscent of cherries. Pleasant, but a bit uninspired.

T: Creamy, sweet, and roasty. Vanilla, chocolate, licorice, coffee, and fruity oxidation. Long, ashy, bitter, oaky finish. Tasty.

M: Thick, smooth, creamy. Yeah.

O: This one was quite enjoyable and extremely complex, but definitely a bit over the hill for my tastes. I really need to stop aging so many stouts...

Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Can't find a bottle date, but I can find a clean snifter glass.

Pours as black as black is black. Couldn't scrounge a tall foam cap, even with a height pour. Mocha-colored head fell and dispersed pretty quickly with some surface asteroids.

Roasty coffee sweet with a big ol' chocolate bar thrown in for good measure. The heat's there, but it's decently toned down. Flan custard and vanilla, too. Pretty decadent nose on this beer.

Get-go bitterness from the char-roast. Huge chocolate and coffee notes dominate this one. Burnt sugars, herbal hops, and some peatiness. There's some noticeable butterscotch in the late middle that turns to candy in the finish. Nice addition of smoke that peeks in-and-out throughout the whole experience. No real blatant taste of alcohol, just the effects and warmth. Really well-done.

Medium-full body with a light carbonation. Well-disguised alcohol, but you know it's there (like me, who is finishing the bottle by his lonesome) after awhile.

Kudos to Voodoo! A phenomenal I.S. I thought it might be a little over-the-top, but this makes a nice package. Look forward to aging my other bottle.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

A- pours a very dark, just about black, body with reddish/brown hues around the edges. A small single finger coffee colored head sits on top, but quickly falls to a thin cap.

S- Licorice up front, espresso, bitter dark chocolate, slight vanilla, and just the slightest hint of alchohol. Very good!

T- chocolate, slight vanilla, more black licorice, a touch of dark fruits, and again, just a slight touch of the ABV, and more espresso.

MF- Sadly, this was not even close to being even modoratly bodied, let alone full bodied. It does however, have a nice slick feeling on the palate.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

Big thick viscous black liquid that has an off white head which leaves a small ring around the side of the glass. Aroma is pretty fruity with some nice roast and a bit of cocoa. Flavor is a bit too fruity for.me. nice cocoa. Kinda sweet and roasty. Very nice. Mouthfeel is really nice. Full bodied without being cloying and good fine carb. Very nice beer. Fruit is a bit bigger than I would like, but still a very nice beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a goblet from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours an opaque black with a finger of tan head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite roasty, this doesn't smell like a particularly sweet beer. I'm getting some warm alcohol and a hoppy presence.

Taste: This beer isn't nearly as sweet as most beers of this style. Roasty with some dark chocolate. The finish is bitter from the roast but also some hope along with warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side with tingly carbonation and a warm, dry finish.

Overall: I'm really liking this one. So many Imperial Stouts are too sweet, this showcases some of the other flavors. I will definitely have another and I look forward to trying the bottle I am aging.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint.

A - Pours a black color with a thin mocha head that dies to a halo. Good lacing.

S - Roasted coffee beans, dark cracker malts, and some oak.

T - Dominated by roastiness from the front to the aftertaste. Some dark fruits, baker's chocolate, char, and serious coffee as well, with a nice woody bitterness on the finish. At 65 IBU, it is a bit more bitter than most of the style, and I will age one to see what happens. The roasty notes are bordering on smokiness, but the other flavors meld with this to create a complex flavor that is really enjoyable. The big 12.50% is well hidden. The dark fruits and the sweetness come out a little bit as it warms, making it even tastier and more balanced.

M - Tingly carbonation with a medium-thick feel. Suits the flavors well and goes down easy.

O - This is a huge stout with some intense toasty/smokey flavors. If you don't enjoy that in a beer, I would steer clear of this one. I find those characteristics to be very pleasant in this case, and when combined with the plethora of other flavors found in this beer, it makes for a definite success for Voodoo. At under $9/bomber for this 12.50% stout, I highly recommend it.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Black, generous head that dispurses quickly. Some residual lace. Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate, and licorice. Medium mouthfeel. An emphasis on bitter over malt, not extreme and I dig it. Good 65 ibu hoppiness, chocolate and coffee next. Emminently drinkable.Better than average IS in an Oscar-competitive franchise.
Gotten in trade.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

2009

pours out of the bottle a carmel but is black in the glass, with a small tan head good retention and leaves a laced rim

nice chocolate and nuttyness on the nose

a nice rich chocolate, coffee and nutty

medium to light bodied, and medium carbonation

overall it's a very nice stout seems to have aged well doesn't seem like its lost much flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz bottle with no freshness date. I happen to know that this is this year's batch, but still...if I wanted to cellar this, it would be easy to lose track of how old it is. Not to mention, he doesn't date his Ipa's or Pils either. It's a shame, because I rarely buy his other offerings for this reason.

Pours black in color and was initially topped by two fingers of mocha-brown foam. The head has settled to a thin layer, but there's lacing all over the entire glass. If you hold it to a bright enough light, you can see some dark brown near the top of the beer, but it's pretty much opaque.

The aroma is full of cola & roasted malt. I'm getting a little bit of oak in this, but it's pretty mild. Dark chocolate as well.

A touch of bitterness at the forefront, but it's quickly toned down by a big malt body that carries a velvety creamy texture on it's back. There's some dark chocolate about midway. There's a little bit of bitterness and char that shows up in the finish, but it's not overwhelming.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with a pretty soft carbonation.

An above average Imperial Stout overall.

Morey's Bottom Line: Wow! I'm impressed. This is probably the best Voodoo beer that I've had. It hides that alcohol incredibly well. I have another in the basement that I'll leave there for a year or two, but I can't imagine this getting any more creamy.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - double stout black (I feel like that should be a crayola crayon by now) with a finger of golden brown head that slowly fades into lighter colored foam lumps

S - nutty malts, dark fruits and some bourbon aromas permeate the foam

T - at first, for just a brief moment, maybe I'm crazy, but I sense some tropical fruti sweetness, but this subsides nearly instantly into dark chocolate and coffee flavors held up by roasted nutty malts

M&D - a bit thinner than I expected, but still a nice big chewy stout. the big flavors and the high ABV will put off some, nonetheless a great stout

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Enjoying with my good friend and fellow Beer Advocate pschul4

A: Pitch black, with a good dark orange colored head. Very little head overall, however.

S: Very good. Roasty characteristics make themselves evident along with a uncharacteristically strong hoppy smell that is not found all stouts.

T: Wonderful. It pretty much tastes like it smells. Roasty flavors paired perfectly with some hoppy bitterness.

M: It is fairly light but I feel as though the light mouthfeel is complimented perfectly with the flavor of the beer. If it was a thick, heavy stout it would not be as enjoyable.

O: Very good stout. I enjoy this a lot, as stated earlier, the hoppiness of this beer and the roasty characteristics combine perfectly to make a brew that is very pleasant to my taste buds.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Beer #4 on our Fat Tuesday tasting between ariech6 and myself

Thanks to Axic10 (again) for this amazing extra I hope you're enjoying your extras as much as I'm enjoying mine

A- Very dark, this is in the top 5 darkest beers I've ever poured with Founders Imperial Stout taking top honors in that catagory

S- Lots of roast and coffee malt flavors with some hops in the background. I really like the smell of this as it invokes deep thought into what makes a stout a stout

T- Starts out with big roasty malt notes and leaves the mouth with some nice hoppy bitterness. A big winner in my book

M- Nice and thick just like I like my stouts and women but that's another story for another night

O- Axic10 you are the man for all the beers you hooked me up with. I am eternally in your debt, this beer was amazing and I wish I could buy 6ers of it every weeek

3.77/5  rDev -10%

Big thanks to forcedlaughter for providing this beer in trade. Shared it with some of the boys last night and enjoyed it.

A thick building brown head. Yep, I even was surprised and over poured and spilled an ounce. Oops.
Dark brown with a shiny finish.

Aroma is of dark chocolate, dark roast malt a bit of charcoal.

Lots of chocolate in the flavor with just a touch of charcoal. Lots of roast malts. A little ash in the flavor as well. Heavily roasted malt wins the day here. I see a lot of review mentioning vanilla, barrel aging. I don’t even know if this is barrel aged, and frankly I didn’t get a sense that it was from the flavor.

Certainly thicker in body, but not as bold as others.

It’s good, that’s for sure, but I am not sure I can put it near the epic category.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle to oversized snifter. Thanks to ksurkin for this one. Looks good; pitch black with nice lacing. Smells good too; malty and woody. Taste is a bit of a letdown, although it's still good. Malt and toffee. Mouthfeel is hot, but that would lessen with age. Overall, a good beer that is a little overhyped in my opinion.

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%

Big Black Daddy, bottle bought at Hawthornes in Philly for about $12.

Appearance: Poured into my Lost Abbey snifter, Big Daddy effortlessly produces a one-finger head that soon recedes into lacing only. The beer looks blacker and darker than the depths of hell, almost menacing on the Abbey glass...

Smell: Rubber, leather, used rental-car tire. Coffee, smoke and hops. Cheap chocolate cake from a dinner in Jersey. All pretty smooth, too much so for a stout this big.

Taste: Chocolate, roastiness. A lot of smoke. Dirty chimney, day-old coffee and some nice hops. Oak and/or wood? Not so much...

Mouthfeel: Disappointing, with low body and carbonation, medium flavor. Boozy-burning finish. Really too thin for a 12% mammoth stout.

Overall: Not a bad stout, but really, at this price (around $12), expectations and hype (don't they age this in "oak staves"?), this ends up not being up to par.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz bottle into oversized snifter. I have a feeling who sent me this bottle, but I can’t be sure. I know it came as an extra over a year ago. Thanks to whomever you are.

A: Pours black with a finger of fluffy and dense dark brown head. The head quickly faded into a thin scum that lasted a decent while and left a few spotty patches of lacing down the glass.
S: I get big notes of dark roasted malts, caramel, toasted marshmallows, oak, chocolate and a bit of volatile alcohol. I get a little bit of vanilla bean and char as well.
T: Follows the nose except flavors are a more smokey/charred/burnt/roasted than the nose let on. The char isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it is noticeable. The finish is full of semisweet chocolate, and the aftertaste has notes of caramel, marshmallows, and smoke. The oak is just barely noticeable in the finish.
M: Full body but it could be fuller. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth but just a tad rough around the edges. Carbonation is decent.
O: A good stout. The smokiness set it apart from some of the other ones I’ve had, but this doesn’t compare to the heavy hitters of the style. Still, I’d drink this again.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from bottle into goblet.

Appearance: Black body with an almost non-existent, tan head that immediately disappears leaving very little to no lacing.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee mostly. Some booze. Disappointing.

Taste: More chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts right at the front. Good flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. The alcohol isn't overwhelming. It's mostly only present in the smell. Little to no carbonation.

Overall: Not my favorite stout, but still tasty. A little on the lighter side I'd say. Needs more head and a more complex smell.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber sent to me a very good while back by g311, poured the whole thing into my southampton snifter.

Pours jet black with a pretty large muddy brown head that sticks ever so nicely to the side of the glass the whole time.

Smell is a very nice blend of strong roasted malt with a hint of chocolate.

Roasted malts punch you in the face on the first sip of this beer but as it warms up it gives a subtle maple coca oak-ish taste. 12% ABV is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel seems slightly light and carbonation a little on the high side.

Overall great beer, I hope voodoo starts sending this stuff to ny sometime soon.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

From notes. Poured strait black with a two finger tan head, nice lacing. Lots of Choclate, some vanilla, dark fruit, overall pretty sweet, minimal bitterness. The body was on the full side of medium with fairly light carbonation. Very pleasant. A very enjoyable stout, well balanced with just enough complexity to keep it interesting without going overboard.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

A bottle of this was given to me by Jeffo. I looked forward to opening this all week.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

Looks black and came with a one finger tan colored head that faded leaving a bit of lacing

Roasted malts came to the nose at first and after that chocolate and a bit of coffee.

Flavors are everything that the nose promised and as the beer warmed up. The roasted malts, chocolate and coffee were dominant but still a bit of oak seemed to shine through.

A medium to heavy body that I enjoyed quite a bit. A little bit of booze on medium carbonation levels completed this.

Overall a great TGIF kind of beer. I liked it, loved it but wouldn't travel great distances to get it again. If I were ever able to pick one up for a decent price I'd certainly would do so. thanks Jeff for letting me try this.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Pours a black body with a small, fleeting khaki head. No lacing. Not good retention. Mostly average for a high ABV stout.

Smell - Chocolate, coffee, and oak. A surprising amount of oak that almost makes it smell like an RIS. Booze on the nose, as well.

Taste - Chocolate, coffee, and, surprise, oak. Lots of oak. Huge roast presence before it, though. Hardly any sweetness to it. Enjoyable flavor with a ton of oak in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Nowhere near as heavy as I'd imagine a 12.5% stout should be. Easy drinking and even a touch dry from the oak. Well hidden alcohol.

Overall - Tasty stout that is perhaps overwhelmed by the oak. It serves a decent purpose though. Well constructed, if not spectacular.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to russwbeck for this want.

A: Very black. One finger creamy tan head with good retention and lacing.

S: Dark chocolate and roasted coffee. A hint of cream. Very subtle oak notes.

T: Dark creamy chocolate upfront. Roasted coffee with a hint of bitterness and a touch of oak in the middle. Finishes with chocolate, cream, and a slightly charred malt flavor.

M: Medium body. Medium high carbonation. Super creamy.

O: Good Imperial Stout. Nothing mind blowing but pretty tasty.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to tedwarhc. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours an extremely thick, solid, jet black. Perhaps the most viscous looking beer, appearance wise, that I have had to date. A small tan head develops and quickly settles in as a relatively thick foam ring around the glass. Surprisingly, the lacing is excellent. The foam completely coats the glass with each sip before breaking up a bit. It ends up leaving thick rings of foam stuck to the glass. Really excellent looking beer from the thicker pour, to the black color and great head retention and lacing.

The nose is pretty strong, fairly complex and changes as the beer warms. When chilled, the beer has strong roasted notes, almost acrid at times. There are hints of licorice and
nice oak notes. When the beer warms the roasted notes smooth out and the oak becomes more present. The licorice is still there but it's lost a bit in the mix. Nice subtle chocolate and a bigger dark fruit aroma emerge as well.

The taste is in line with the nose. Starts with a touch of chocolate and some nice, sweet, dark fruit. Cherries and maybe some plum come to mind. The roasted character is excellent. It's smooth, none of the strong, almost acrid notes that were in the nose. There is also an underlying, subtle oak flavor that seems to be present throughout each sip. All the flavors are blended together seamlessly. The beer is extremely smooth and finishes with a slight, pleasant bitterness from the roast.

Low carbonation and a heavy body give the beer a big, full mouthfeel. As mentioned, it is extremely smooth. It's not often a beer ends up being this big without being viscous, but this one doesn't feel that way, it just looks it.

This is an outstanding beer. Big bold flavors and aromas with a mouthfeel to match. This is a big, huge stout. It's silky smooth and a pleasure to drink. Surprisingly, there is no detection of the 12.5% ABV. Impressive in its own right.

Big Black Voodoo Daddy from Voodoo Brewing Company