Big Black Voodoo Daddy - Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this great beer at the stout tasting we hosted - poured chilled and refilled in my tasting glass.

The beer is black as pitch with a deep thick cap of beige with a tight bead. The stout leaves a good wavy ring of lace on the glass with a dense viscous look overall. The aroma of dark toffee with nutty and coffee and cocoa with a charleston chew dense fudge-like odor. The smell of roasted grain and mild vanilla with a light bitter element and slight caramel tinge. The feel is great -smooth coffee roastiness with thick body and light bittterness and only enough alcohol to let you know it is pretty extreme. The feel is light overall for the intensity of flavor.

The taste is great to me, mild dark cocoa and slight turbinado sugar with a mild vanilla and toasted grain taste. The cocoa is mild yet you know it has a lot of chocolate malt, just not too much. I love the slight charred biscuit and subtle yet smooth toffee taste. I get a slight fudge-like baked brownie taste and hint of pine or pepper from the hops to with the oak flavor coming forward with some alcohol as it warms. The stout is a wonderful brew, so smooth and yet so complex with superior drinkability and a taste that just makes you want more - One of the best stouts IMO, just wonderful and packed with cocoa flavor -well rounded and well brewed!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, with an inch or so of light brown head. Smells like chocolate coffee malt and perhaps some molasses. The flavor is awesome! Very similar to the aroma. I also detected some vanilla and possibly some raisin? Mouthfeel for me was excellent, although not the thickest in it's category it was very good for me. Great beer that is one of my favorites. Probably just one in a sitting with the high abv.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, and the only beer I've had from this brewery, but after this experience I'd definitely like to try more from them. Pours black, viscous, and with a thin tan rim. Smells vinous and fruity with cranberry and dark malts. The taste is unbelievably complex, with beautiful notes of coffee, dark fruit, tobacco, dark bitter chocolate, and pine. The flavors are nicely layered so that each sings individually in the chorus of flavors. Thick and rich in the mouth, this one is a sipper- but to my mind didn't fatigue the palate. Delicious!

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Received this fantastic brew in a trade with Mike (Jettanbass9). I asked him to surprise me and this is what he sent...you are the man! Poured from a bottle into snifter.

A- The color is so dark that it would be most similar to staring into an abyss. The blackest of black. Absolutely stunning in its simplicity. Very little tan head formed.

S- Stunning. Usually I give IPA/DIPA the nod for best smell, but this is one of the best smelling RIS I have ever experienced. A bouquet of rich chocolates, malt, and vanilla undertones. Not only was the aroma great, it was pungent. Just filled up the nostrils revealing an incredible scent.

T- Follows the nose. Rich chocolates explode in the mouth, paving the way for molasses type malts to expand. Combine this with a bourbon and vanilla flavor and it's golden. The only thing I did not care for was the coffee-like bitter finish.

M- Would have scored higher if it were a little more viscous. The finish was dry and bitter, when I was expecting something more chewy and thick.

D- I could honestly drink this all day. I mean ALL day. There is nothing more to say here.

Overall, huge thanks to Mike for giving me this wonderful opportunity. It was very reminiscent to the experience I had with an aged Abyss. Definitely one of the top RIS I have had to date.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Despite the high ABV, the fudge brown beer still generates a nice tan head and though it doesn't hang around for long, it leaves plenty of lacing behind

Smell: Roasty and charred, up front, with rich chocolate tones and a hint of pudding

Taste: Roasty and charred, almost smokey, up front, but the chocolate pudding flavors arrive in the middle, bringing sweetness, vanilla and a touch of dark fruit, as well; the flavors all meld together in the finish, with the charred bitterness stepping up a notch

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy; moderate carbonation; surprisingly little burn despite the ABV

Overall: I cellared this beer for at least two years and the aging has been a real benefit as there is a lot of complexity and the likely heat of its youth has dissipated

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from the very stylishly decorated bomber into a very tall, very large and wide mouth champagne style glass.

A: Black and still. Rocky two finger head that supports the bottle cap subsides into a 1 mm ring. Opaque in clarity. This brew has huge legs. It is definitely a potent, richly colored brew.

S: It has that indication of a chocolate covered, salted caramel pretzel. It's huge nose is filled with these very nice odors. Slight vanilla notes peek around the edges.

T: Perfectly follows nose. Amazing warming sensation combined with wispy vanilla from the oak. The oak does not intrude and assault, like Weyerbacher Insanity if you have had that. It complements everything perfectly like oak should.

M: Velvety smooth draught with very slight prickly notes on tip of tongue. Strongly roasted malt interplays with the moderate carbonation to provide a very smooth experience. It's a little hot, and I bet some cellar aging would not reduce the heat. It is not unbalanced heat, just comes in and says "Hi, remember I am a double big stout"

O: On point. If you like huge RIS or big charred malty American double stout beers and can get this, do it. Well worth the price I paid (under 10 for a bomber).

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: black in color with minimal head, opaque, low carbonation

Smell: big milk chocolate, roasted malt, and alcohol

Taste: sweet creamy start followed by big milk chocolate and a rich dark coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: heavy body, low carbonation, sweet with slight bitterness

Drinkability: Wow. This one was the last beer I snuck into my travel bag on my way back from Pennsylvania and I am glad I did. This is my new king in this category which I love. Super malty, super chocolaty without being cloying, I could have several. I did not even realize this was 12% the alcohol is so well hidden. Just an amazing beer.

Big Black Voodoo Daddy from Voodoo Brewing Company