PILZILLA - Voodoo Brewing Company

PILZILLAPILZILLA

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  7.00% ABV

Pilzilla is a beer that I've been brewing for years. Each year it gets bigger and bigger. Nicknamed "The beer that took over Tokyo". It is an unfiltered Keller Bier. Nicley hopped at this point with 6 to 7 different kinds of hops and about 6.25 % ABV Each year we will add another variety of hop and bump the alcohol a bit. This is not your average pilsner, get it before we drink it all! Prost!!

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of PILZILLA Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev -45.6%

A: Pours with a look almost like a hefe, with about 1 cm of head that sits on top of the beer for what seems like forever. Looks like there is an appropriate amount of carbonation for a lager/pilsner.

S: Smell is a bit sour with a definite aroma of hops. I can also find some pale malts in there.

T: I don't know if I got a bad beer on this one, if my expectations were way off, or if this just isn't my style, but I was not impressed by the flavor. The overwhelming taste was sour with a little bit of hop bitterness in there. There was also what seemed to be a really weird alcohol flavor, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I couldn't even make it through half the bottle. Good thing I had someone to split it with.

EDIT: Tried this one again, and it turns out, I just don't like this beer. It was the same experience the second time around. I guess I just don't really like the style, but it was a drain pour the second time around for me again.

M/D: Mouthfeel was good, it was really smooth and slid down the palate. However, the taste just killed the drinkability component for me.

NittanyBeerFan, Oct 07, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -44.1%

A bottle brought back from the great state of PA by my good buddy B0knows. Thanks, Brett!

A: Uh oh. No head to speak of, just a few lonely, mournful bubbles. I've seen this happen before in flat growlers. But this is a bottle. What the...? Anyways, the beer itself looks really good. A cloudy, murky yellow orange. Beer looks very good. Head retention is awful and has me dreading the first sip.

S: Faintest of hops and some light citrus sweetness. Not much here, but what there is is good.

T: Aw man. A mild bitterness, a strange herbal waxy quality. I've never had this style so this could be what it's supposed to taste like, but I'm not digging it. It's a thin, bitter, waxy beer. Gross.

M: It feels flat. Carbonation is too light to dull what is a pretty bad taste. Watery and unimpactful.

O: This beer was super cold when I poured it, which may have influenced the utter lack of any discernible head. Otherwise, I'd have to conclude I got a bad bottle. This thing was flat, waxy, and extremely unlikable. Maybe it's the style, but I can't believe this is what the brewer's intended. An utter disappointment. Will revisit if given the chance to determine what exactly in the hell this was.

siege06nd, Aug 31, 2011
2.28/5  rDev -42.9%

Thanks to sholland119, a true BA who replaced my first bottle of Pilzilla, which was decapitated by the cruel Minnesota winds. First, & hopefully last, casualty I've ever had coming or going. Thanks for the love, Scott!

Brew is murky & orange, looks like a hefe with the bottom crap stirred into it with a piece of hay. Smell is weird, & not entirely pleasant, like a nice damp morning - after you've stepped in a bunch of earthworms in the driveway.

Taste is unique, I'll give it that, this tastes like a pilsner, a big pilsner. Grassy, grainy, earthy, with a little bit of bitterness at the end. The taste is pretty good; the aftertaste is something else, & again, isn't very impressive. The bitterness & the graininess gives it a biting, dusty character that leaves me thirsty but unsatisfied. Dry, beyond dry, Sahara without a camel dry.

Voodoo for me has been a hit or miss brewery, with a couple of excellent beers & a couple of swings & missed like Dave Kingman at a Charlie Hough knuckler. This is one of the latter, unfortunately. Too many moving parts to this one that aren't just average, but actively disagreeable.

maximum12, May 06, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

HeyJim, Mar 24, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -33.6%

Impressively hazy. Orange-gold color. Soft snow white two finger froth. Very good lacing quickly evident.

Surprisingly light, bready aroma, with a hint of pine. Have to sniff very hard though.

Solid sweet river of malt glides down the center of the tongue. Juicy hops splash in from the sides. Finish is a combination of sweet malt and juicy hops, though I'm unconvinced that they are as integrated as they should be.

Firm mouthfeel, big and solid. Very imperial.

Drinkability compromised by confusion.

Too big for a keller. Too confused for an imperial pils. Needs a little tinkering but not without hope.

RonfromJersey, Jul 24, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

After a good impression from Voodoo's Love Child, this was the second beer from Voodoo I tried.

A: Poured a slightly cloudy, golden color with a nice foamy head.

S: Up front with spicy Saaz hops and some slight biscuity malt in the background.

T: Dry, malty, biscuity, and rich with an overwhelming amount of Saaz. Perhaps it was my expectations that let me down, but I felt that these flavors, while balanced, were too intense. I'm a Saaz lover, but this was too much for me.

M: Crisp, medium to light body.

D: I felt this beer was too heavy for the style, which rendered it tough to get down towards the end of the glass.

Overall I really didn't care for this at all. Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future and update this review if my impressions change.

OrangeCharlie, Dec 04, 2009

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

Gatordaddy, Nov 18, 2011

Waveoff, Mar 01, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a pilsner: Three fingers of rocky white head that drops to a thick coating & leaves lacing like thermal insulation. Straw-gold body, clear but a little cloudy, with mild nucleation.

Smell is very enticing: Clean, cracker-like malt with just a hint of sugar, like white wine, alongside hops like pepper & lemon zest. Brisk, modest, invigorating smell.

Bitterness & dryness really take over in the taste, making it much more peppery -- a little too much for my liking. The light crackery sweetness starts off but then doesn't get anywhere, quickly overcome by the peppered-up hops. A tiny bit of some sweet spice in the aftertaste (anise?), but that's about it. Disappointing.

Medium-light-bodied, active enough. Though it's not a huge presence, the tastebuds get a little overwhelmed from the spicy hop ambush.

Big difference from nose to mouth! Too bad, because I really remember liking this the once I tried it before. What was good in the smell I guess didn't translate so well to the taste. I'd give it another chance based on past experience, but this was just not doing it for me.

EDIT: The pepper subsided after a bit, leaving a decent bready character. Decent, but not great enough to bump the overall taste up substantially (moved from 2.0 to 2.5).

OneDropSoup, May 20, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

Sorry this beer just isnt for me. Dont call your beer pilzilla if the beer isn't a pilsner. I detest wheat beers but love pilsners and i have no idea why one would try to combine the two styles. It's either a wheat or a pilsner, not both. This beer had the appearance of a wheat but the body of a pilsner and when you name a beer Pilzilla it should look and taste like a pilsner. The beer is basically a pale wheat. Just call it what it fucking is.

DrKnoskelson, Dec 30, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Well I've heard so many great things about this beer, and I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the style but I figured I'd give this one a shot due to how renowned it was on this site. Thanks Zeno's, you guys never let me down with your selection of quality beer.

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber and split with fellow BAer treyrab. Very hazy dark yellow, with a really nice low carbonated white head that contrasts well with the body.

The smell is of tart white grapes, grapefruit, and a lot of alcohol that produces an extremely "off" smell.

Once splashed on my tongue, a lot of alcohol and some grains are immediately noticeable and overpowering enough to provide a very off taste that corroborates well with the smell, but poorly on the taste buds. Really bitter and tart, and not really for me.

CoolJosh, Jan 20, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into pilsner glass.

Pours 1 finger of white head. Fades down a bit. Leaves some nice lace rings. Color is a hazed pale straw yellow.

Aroma: Grassy hops. Light fruit esters and pale bready malts.

Taste: Very odd floral/perfume like flavors. It is kind of herbal. Maybe some rose petal flavor. Then the pale bready malts hit again.

Mouthfeel: Bitter with some creaminess. The alcohol shows. Light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, a very interesting take on the style. Decent, but the taste has a bit of an odd flavor to it. Not as clean as I would like it to be. Decent drinkability.

mothman, Sep 24, 2010