KillaPilz - Voodoo Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Formerly PILZILLA.

Pilzilla is a beer that I've been brewing for years. Each year it gets bigger and bigger. Nicknamed "The beer that took over Tokyo". It is an unfiltered Keller Bier. Nicley hopped at this point with 6 to 7 different kinds of hops and about 6.25 % ABV Each year we will add another variety of hop and bump the alcohol a bit. This is not your average pilsner, get it before we drink it all! Prost!!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of KillaPilz Alström Bros
2.27/5  rDev -43.7%

A bottle brought back from the great state of PA by my good buddy B0knows. Thanks, Brett!

A: Uh oh. No head to speak of, just a few lonely, mournful bubbles. I've seen this happen before in flat growlers. But this is a bottle. What the...? Anyways, the beer itself looks really good. A cloudy, murky yellow orange. Beer looks very good. Head retention is awful and has me dreading the first sip.

S: Faintest of hops and some light citrus sweetness. Not much here, but what there is is good.

T: Aw man. A mild bitterness, a strange herbal waxy quality. I've never had this style so this could be what it's supposed to taste like, but I'm not digging it. It's a thin, bitter, waxy beer. Gross.

M: It feels flat. Carbonation is too light to dull what is a pretty bad taste. Watery and unimpactful.

O: This beer was super cold when I poured it, which may have influenced the utter lack of any discernible head. Otherwise, I'd have to conclude I got a bad bottle. This thing was flat, waxy, and extremely unlikable. Maybe it's the style, but I can't believe this is what the brewer's intended. An utter disappointment. Will revisit if given the chance to determine what exactly in the hell this was. (1,199 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -43.4%

A: Pours with a look almost like a hefe, with about 1 cm of head that sits on top of the beer for what seems like forever. Looks like there is an appropriate amount of carbonation for a lager/pilsner.

S: Smell is a bit sour with a definite aroma of hops. I can also find some pale malts in there.

T: I don't know if I got a bad beer on this one, if my expectations were way off, or if this just isn't my style, but I was not impressed by the flavor. The overwhelming taste was sour with a little bit of hop bitterness in there. There was also what seemed to be a really weird alcohol flavor, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I couldn't even make it through half the bottle. Good thing I had someone to split it with.

EDIT: Tried this one again, and it turns out, I just don't like this beer. It was the same experience the second time around. I guess I just don't really like the style, but it was a drain pour the second time around for me again.

M/D: Mouthfeel was good, it was really smooth and slid down the palate. However, the taste just killed the drinkability component for me. (1,101 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -42.7%

Thanks to sholland119, a true BA who replaced my first bottle of Pilzilla, which was decapitated by the cruel Minnesota winds. First, & hopefully last, casualty I've ever had coming or going. Thanks for the love, Scott!

Brew is murky & orange, looks like a hefe with the bottom crap stirred into it with a piece of hay. Smell is weird, & not entirely pleasant, like a nice damp morning - after you've stepped in a bunch of earthworms in the driveway.

Taste is unique, I'll give it that, this tastes like a pilsner, a big pilsner. Grassy, grainy, earthy, with a little bit of bitterness at the end. The taste is pretty good; the aftertaste is something else, & again, isn't very impressive. The bitterness & the graininess gives it a biting, dusty character that leaves me thirsty but unsatisfied. Dry, beyond dry, Sahara without a camel dry.

Voodoo for me has been a hit or miss brewery, with a couple of excellent beers & a couple of swings & missed like Dave Kingman at a Charlie Hough knuckler. This is one of the latter, unfortunately. Too many moving parts to this one that aren't just average, but actively disagreeable. (1,131 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -33.7%

Impressively hazy. Orange-gold color. Soft snow white two finger froth. Very good lacing quickly evident.

Surprisingly light, bready aroma, with a hint of pine. Have to sniff very hard though.

Solid sweet river of malt glides down the center of the tongue. Juicy hops splash in from the sides. Finish is a combination of sweet malt and juicy hops, though I'm unconvinced that they are as integrated as they should be.

Firm mouthfeel, big and solid. Very imperial.

Drinkability compromised by confusion.

Too big for a keller. Too confused for an imperial pils. Needs a little tinkering but not without hope. (613 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28%

After a good impression from Voodoo's Love Child, this was the second beer from Voodoo I tried.

A: Poured a slightly cloudy, golden color with a nice foamy head.

S: Up front with spicy Saaz hops and some slight biscuity malt in the background.

T: Dry, malty, biscuity, and rich with an overwhelming amount of Saaz. Perhaps it was my expectations that let me down, but I felt that these flavors, while balanced, were too intense. I'm a Saaz lover, but this was too much for me.

M: Crisp, medium to light body.

D: I felt this beer was too heavy for the style, which rendered it tough to get down towards the end of the glass.

Overall I really didn't care for this at all. Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future and update this review if my impressions change. (772 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a pilsner: Three fingers of rocky white head that drops to a thick coating & leaves lacing like thermal insulation. Straw-gold body, clear but a little cloudy, with mild nucleation.

Smell is very enticing: Clean, cracker-like malt with just a hint of sugar, like white wine, alongside hops like pepper & lemon zest. Brisk, modest, invigorating smell.

Bitterness & dryness really take over in the taste, making it much more peppery -- a little too much for my liking. The light crackery sweetness starts off but then doesn't get anywhere, quickly overcome by the peppered-up hops. A tiny bit of some sweet spice in the aftertaste (anise?), but that's about it. Disappointing.

Medium-light-bodied, active enough. Though it's not a huge presence, the tastebuds get a little overwhelmed from the spicy hop ambush.

Big difference from nose to mouth! Too bad, because I really remember liking this the once I tried it before. What was good in the smell I guess didn't translate so well to the taste. I'd give it another chance based on past experience, but this was just not doing it for me.

EDIT: The pepper subsided after a bit, leaving a decent bready character. Decent, but not great enough to bump the overall taste up substantially (moved from 2.0 to 2.5). (1,274 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.1%

Sorry this beer just isnt for me. Dont call your beer pilzilla if the beer isn't a pilsner. I detest wheat beers but love pilsners and i have no idea why one would try to combine the two styles. It's either a wheat or a pilsner, not both. This beer had the appearance of a wheat but the body of a pilsner and when you name a beer Pilzilla it should look and taste like a pilsner. The beer is basically a pale wheat. Just call it what it fucking is. (448 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

Well I've heard so many great things about this beer, and I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the style but I figured I'd give this one a shot due to how renowned it was on this site. Thanks Zeno's, you guys never let me down with your selection of quality beer.

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber and split with fellow BAer treyrab. Very hazy dark yellow, with a really nice low carbonated white head that contrasts well with the body.

The smell is of tart white grapes, grapefruit, and a lot of alcohol that produces an extremely "off" smell.

Once splashed on my tongue, a lot of alcohol and some grains are immediately noticeable and overpowering enough to provide a very off taste that corroborates well with the smell, but poorly on the taste buds. Really bitter and tart, and not really for me. (807 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into pilsner glass.

Pours 1 finger of white head. Fades down a bit. Leaves some nice lace rings. Color is a hazed pale straw yellow.

Aroma: Grassy hops. Light fruit esters and pale bready malts.

Taste: Very odd floral/perfume like flavors. It is kind of herbal. Maybe some rose petal flavor. Then the pale bready malts hit again.

Mouthfeel: Bitter with some creaminess. The alcohol shows. Light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, a very interesting take on the style. Decent, but the taste has a bit of an odd flavor to it. Not as clean as I would like it to be. Decent drinkability. (631 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Split out of a 22oz bottle. Was better than average, just expected better. A full flavored pilsner, easy drinking, but more frutiy flavor and thinkness than your normal pilsner. Being a big fan of a crisp crafty pils, this one jsut was above average for me. Defintiley worth a try in a 6 pack or 22oz. bottle. (309 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Slightly hazed gold with 1 fingers of white head that dissipates quickly. Low carbonation.

Nose
Pear, golden apple, sour dough and lemon.

Taste
Pear, golden delicious apple, grapefruit juice and lemon. Bready and doughy malts that carry wafts of booze. Finishes with some lemon zest, dried grass and earth.

Mouthfeel
Medium plus body, silky, bitter and dry.

O: Perhaps a tad too malty for a Pilsner. Some traces of booze can also be found. I used to really love this stuff...so either this beer has changed or I have changed. (580 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks G311 for the hook-up. Curious about this one for a while...

A - Pours a golden-orange hue with great frothy tan head and huge lace.

S - Aroma is of German pils grain, with some Belgian pale similarities, some grassy and herbal hop notes too.

T - Huh, this is a strange beast. Not was I was expecting, and not as good as hoped for. Sour-bitter-astringent-plastic flavors, and an almost salty quality. As it airs out, the hop becomes more appreciable.

M - Not awe-inspiring, just ok. Zwickel tends to be just ok in this dept.

D - I am a bit let down. It sounder better than it was. (591 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours a finger thick head. Too cloudy for a true pilsener style. A Golden brown straw color. Good lacing.

S: Sweet caramel malt aroma and sharp hops. The bottle smelled a bit skunked.

T: Very strong on the specialty malts with a lot of biscuity taste. It tastes more like an ale than a lager. The delicate grainy tastes in a typical pilsener are covered up by too many grassy hops. Nice smooth aftertaste.

M: Dries the palate. Thin and crisp.

D: Easily drinkable.

I was disappointed with this beer because it lacked many of the classic qualities of a czech pisener. Too much biscuit malt and hops ruined the style. A royal smack in the face to the true czech pilsner style. (685 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

On tap a Capone's, this one comes out with an ample white head lacing ok and a ton of carbonation. Color is on the yellow orange side. When you bring this to the nose you will smell hops and a lot. Many different hop smells from grapefruit to grassy pine. The taste is hoppy at first and then seems to calm down some, had a hard time tasting the grains. This is a hopped up Pils to say the least. Good mouth feel except for the slight over carbonation. I enjoyed this beer but would limit myself to one at a time. Later (519 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy straw colored pour. Not much in the aroma department. Very light, crisp and dry. Some hoppy bitterness, I didn't get much flavor with this one. Drinkable, but wouldn't go out of my way like I would to find some of the other Voodoo offernings. (247 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -15.1%

tasting supplied by bockyhorsey...

crazy japanese cartoon fighting hopmonster on the label gets a giggle!

crazy gushing foam does not... ok, maybe it does! hazy yellow colored pour with pillowy off white foam that just keeps rising out of the glass (and the bottle!). that foam has no choice but to make kookie designs of lace on the glass while i wait to finally get my nose in there.

smells like cooked corn cobs, calcium, lemon skins, grassy herbal hops and lager-y yeast. it has some pale malty sweetness but the aroma remains rather dry.

the flavor is a mirror of the aroma... along with a plethora of dry grassy hops and a very dry bitter finish. the aftertaste lingers with yeast. medium body with some sort of gritty mouth feel similar to water with a high mineral content. bitterness makes it seem lighter.

ridiculously over carbonated.
7/3/7/3/14/3.4 (867 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some hops. Taste is well hopped, piney, a bit spicy, some malts, not bad, but over hopped for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer. (269 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%

Tasted from 12oz bottle obtained in a trade. Pours cloudy bright orange with a smallish white head that quickly recedes to minimal lace. Nose of light hops with some citrus, yeast and cereal malt. There is more hops citrus and bitterness than I had expected along with the same cereal/bread malt and some yeastiness as well. The body is fairly light with average carbonation and a medium finish that features citrus bitterness. The alcohol is a little out of balance, but this beer is still very drinkable. (506 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%

Served on tap at Bocktown for their Local Celebration!

A - Pours a hazy straw color, with darker flecks of orange dispersed throughout the body. I had this on tap, and Bocktown likes to fill to the brim, so there wasn't much head, but what little there was was snow-white with okay retention given the small amount of it. The lacing appears to stick at first, but then falls quickly.

S - The nose is exceptionally grassy and floral, and almost smells sticky to an extent. Some biscuit malts at first which blend into a crisp apple and grape component. Makes me think of a pils on steroids.

T - The taste seemed to be bursting with freshness, exuding flavors of lemongrass, citrus, flowers, and bulging with bitter hops. As it warms, a somewhat awkward smokiness arises which I can't place. Malty at first with some slight breadiness and caramel. The finish has a good amount of citrus and bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with decent carbonation. The bitterness is definitely the long-lasting component here, lasting well into the aftertaste and nearly numbing the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is decent.I found myself really enjoying the grape, citrus, and apple notes in this beer a bit more than the malts, which are clearly overshadowed. The hops are really a slam on the palate, and while refreshing at first, I found it growing heavy near the end of the glass. (1,379 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: hazy yellow orange with 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, citrus,

taste: crisp, clean, citrus

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, crisp

drinkability: overall a drinkable beer. glad i finally got to try a beer in this style. nothing over the top.

cheers,

The CPJ (300 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, and grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and grassy flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice balance of citrus and grassy qualities. (574 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours out as a golden yellow color with a fluffy white head on it. The lacing isn't too bad. The smell is a lot like a pilsner but its also has a nice hop aroma too. The taste is hoppy enough to mask the grassy flavor. The mouthfeel is pretty carbonated and had a light body. Overall not a bad beer at all, I could drink this one again. (346 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from tap into a standard pint glass at TJs in Paoli PA.

A: A medium to light golden color with a one finger white head. No glass lacing.

S: Sweet bready malts with fruity notes of apple, grape and lemon. Some grassy hoppy notes fill in.

T: Lots of sweet fruit flavors with apple, green grape, lemon and a bit of pineapple. The sweet bready biscuit malts take over the fruit flavors and allow some grainy grassy hops to come towards the back. Still, the bready sweetness wins out at the finish and squashes the slight hops bitterness that was found.

M: Medium and coating, but not in a great way. Sweetness seems to squash what hops poke through.

O: Definitely not a classic pils, but this is labeled as a Keller or Zwickel so one could expect something a little different. Still, this is a bit too sticky sweet for this style as it needs to be crisper and hoppier.

Not a pilsner for sure, so if you are looking for that in this beer, forget it. Maybe it fits the Zwickel category better but it's not a keller or classic pils if you ask me. A decent beer, but not something I would ever seek out. I think all of our awesome other PA pils kills my taste buds for this beer. Shame, because I love the dark Voodoo beers. (1,230 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. 6.7% ABV. 50 IBU

This beer poured a hazy, golden, light-amber color with white foam that was moderate in height and settled to a thin layer but clung to the glass leaving some lacing. The smell was modest but with a sweet malt aroma and light aromatic hops. The taste was sweet up front followed by some aromatic noble hops flavors. Modest bitterness as it is overpower somewhat by the sweet maltiness. The flavor of alcohol could also be discerned. The finish left the taste of hops together with some grainy malt. The body was medium to medium-full with low overall carbonation feel and a sweetness throughout. Hops lingered in the finish. This was not an unpleasant beer, but unlike any German Kellerbier I have had in Germany, and too strong and sweet to be a Pils, though it could fit into the Imperial Pilsner category. I had this beer on my Wants list for over 5 years, and I am glad I finally got to drink a bottle. (938 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks, Tim, for the bottle. Muchas Gracias

Appearance -- Pours a hazy amber hue with a tuft of foamy white head.

Smell -- Crisp pilsner malt, biscuit, plum and honey sweetness, floral and musky hops. I like it.

Taste -- Slightly sweeter than the nose would suggest: simple syrup on biscuits with a dry pils malt finish. Quite hoppy with floral overtones, grass and leafy hop flavor, and a low, penetrating earthy bitterness. Lingering flavors of pilsner malt and earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with high frothy carbonation; saison-like. Overcarbonated for my liking.

Overall -- Pretty good! An admittedly narrow field in the US, this was pretty nice. My only significant critique is the high carbonation level: well beyond crisp lager and into the saison/bier brut category. (795 characters)

KillaPilz from Voodoo Brewing Company