White Magick Of The Sun - Voodoo Brewing Company

good

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  6.75% ABV

This White ale is made with a little Voodoo Twist. We use our house Tripel yeast and add the average unmalted wheat, wheat, barley and just add more of each. Hopped evenly and spiced with coriander, bitter orange peel, juniper and Jeremys' favorite spice to remain a mystery. This beer is to be the answer to those hot summer days. Blows away carbonated water!!!!!

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006)

4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

This is my favorite beer, I think it is so good.

Appearance - The label on the bottle, along with all Voodoo labels, are very unique looking and inventive. The beer itself pours a typical Wheat Ale color with a 2 finder head and good retention. I see lots of carbination bubbles floating up.

Smell - I can really smell the flavors that are at work here, very fruity smell that is fully developed.

Taste - I can taste all of the flavor from the berries and orange peel, then there is an aftertaste of peppercorns which to me is completely unique, and very very good

Mouthfeel - Like all other Voodoo beers I have had, they have a very light mouthfeel and very easy to drink.

Overall - Like I said at the start, this is my favorite beer, I enjoy the fully developed taste from the Juniper Berries and Orange Peel with that peppercorn kick. The taste is very unique to me. I will buy again, and buy for friends (especially ones out of their distributions range) when needed.

4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

Brewed with unmalted wheat, wheat malt, malted barley, raw oats, malted rye, coriander, bitter and sweet orange peel, juniper berries, 12 varieties of peppercorns, lemon grass, and caraway. About 6.75% ABV. Fermented with the Voodoo house Belgian Ale yeast. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle. The website specifically states this is "not a Wit Bier!"

Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a modest white head with average retention and lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is heavenly with a boatload of orange peel, a fair amount of coriander, and a subtle hint of pepper. The juniper and caraway don't stand out in the mix. Medium dense body with a pillow soft mouthfeel and very smooth as it goes down, with a dry finish. The taste is exceptional. I just love this beer. It starts out beautifully with this nice orange and wheat sweetness, then is followed by a brilliant blast of peppercorn. I just love this combo. There is some tropical fruit yeast esters like mango and pineapple in there as well. The carbonation and mouthfeel are perfect...not fizzy and lightbodied like a traditional wit. Bitterness is beautifully balanced, and there is a very subtle twist of juniper in there as well. No off flavors or smells. Impeccably brewed.

What can I say? This is an exceptional beer! Reminds me of Short's Nicie Spicie, which would be it's only competitor or style equivalent I can think of. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely buy it again if I can find it local. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

22oz Bomber at the Union Station Brewpub in Erie. Not sure of bottling date.

This is just an awesome take on the Wit Beer style. Other reviewers have stated that this resembles nothing like a Wit Beer and nothing like what they were expecting from a Wit. That is the point entirely. This is not the Norm and anyone familiar with Voodoo, knows his beers are not the Usual.

12 varieties of Peppercorns? You have got to be kidding! But it works to great effect. This is just a light enough style for a summer sipper but could also work well in the doldrums of winter. I like when Brewers put their own unique stamp on a style and that is exactly what Matt Allyn does with his beers.

Cheers to Voodoo!

4.68/5  rDev +28.9%

Hazy gold body topped by an ever-lasting, thick white head. Pull out your weizen glasses for this one, guys - you need the room for this head. Aroma is Loaded with fresh coriander aromas, backed by hints of wheat and fruity esters. Flavor is sweet up front, then gives way to a crisp coriander note. A slight peppery bitterness cleanses the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and perfect. Carbonation isn't too aggressive. Drinkability is also fantastic. I hope there's more of this at the store next week. This is one of my new favorites and one of the few beers to really blow me away in a long time. Also my first taste of one of the Voodoo offerings.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy apricot color with a relatively modest head that leaves some lace

Smell: Orange, coriander, white pepper and a sweet dough character that carries a hint of honey

Taste: Opens with a honey sweet but primarily herbal fruity flavor, with juniper berries and coriander complementing the orange; the peppercorn spice and yeasty flavors build by mid-palate; after the swallow, the more mellow orange herbal and sweet flavors return and dominate until the very end, when the pepper make a biting reappearance that refuses to fade

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This one is producing a bar-bell of reviews - some love it and some hate; mark me up as a fan as in my view it is a well-crafted singular beer by a brewer who clearly has a flair

4.5/5  rDev +24%

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Hazy orange body with reddish tones. Fluffly white head, about 2 fingers worth. Leaves a very slight lacing.

The aroma is great. It has both pepper and a hint of orange, but the passionfruit is pretty noticeable also. The combination of the aromas is great.

All the trappings of a classic wit are there, a touch of orange peel and peppery coriander are backed up by a little bit of a wheat twang, and the flavor is well done. However, the passionfruit and a slight berry flavor comes through also, and these are great. I was skeptical about this one, but this is a tasty beer.

Body is slightly thicker than I would expect, but it is balanced by good carbonation.

Very drinkable, a great and interesting beer.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

Bought a bottle (12oz) of this at my local six pack shop for 3.25. Not bad for a great brew! I had no idea there are 12 different types of peppercorn in the world...

A - Looks like a blonde. Hazy yellow with white head which laces the glass with a swirl.
S - smells of yeast and spice. Slight orange zest.
T - Slight pepper and orange. Hops not present so bitter is not an option.
M - Almost creamy and flavor is not overpowering.
D - At 16.99 a sixer it's a bit expensive but I could see myself buying another single again (maybe a bomber if I can find it for under 7.00)

Overall a great twist to the typical blond and another win for voodoo. I got the Big Brown Ale for new years and can't wait to try it but this beer is easily one of my favorites by Voodoo.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to mikereaser for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy/cloudy golden-orange with an enormously sticky, four finger head that left a ton of lace behind as it slowly melted down to a thin skim and bubbly ring. Loads of suspended sediment were spied floating.

S: The first thing I could smell when I cracked the cap was fresh ground pepper. Peppercorns are the dominant aroma here but as it warms, subtle aromas of orange peel, noble hops, dried wildflowers, and spices.

T: Freshly ground green, black, and white pepper along with some citrus peel, herbal hops, coriander, spicy yeast, pine, dew-moistened grass clippings, and dammit, I can even taste the juniper berries!

M: Bone dry and very spicy. The peppercorns did a spicy little dance on my lips and tongue. Surprising lack of sweetness for a witbier.

D: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a Witbier spiked with juniper berries and 12 varieties of peppercorns, but man o man! What a refreshing dry and peppery beer.

4.32/5  rDev +19%

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

At a recent bottle share, this brew was the surprising winner. Poured into the sampler glass, the beer was a nice golden color with a bubbly head. There was something spectacular yet unidentifiable about the nose on this beer. As best I can determine, the aroma was like overripe pineapple, being a very sweet version of pineapple. On the initial taste one immediately notices the high level of carbonation. With the citric notes, it reminded me somewhat of lemon-lime soda. As the carbonation settles a bit, one notices the juniper berries, lime, and the hints of the promised yeast. As the beer finishes, lime stands out in the aftertaste, lingering on the sides of the tongue. I enjoyed this one a great deal.

22oz bottle from the Belgian Cafe

A: Hazy, light orange/golden yellow color. Light, whispy head.

S: Orange and lemon, honey & coriander, pepper and yeast.

T: A nice, complex balance of citrus, sweeet honey, coriander and juniper, peppery and yeasty bread finish that lingers.

M: Medium in body with good carbonation.

D: Excellent, complex tasting lighter belgian style wit.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I tried this at a beer festival and then later bought a bottle. Both were a cloudy, golden color with nice head. I was a little skeptical reading about the '12 peppercorns', but my beer festival version was beautiful! I was delited at how the peppercorns melded into the tart wheat, coriander, and bitter orange to create an aroma and flavor that was unique but truely enjoyable. Unfortunately, my bottled version lacked the peppercorn notes making it your average wit. I did not check the bottle date (or if it had one) but I'm guessing that the peppercorn flavors and aromas age out, so try to get this beer as fresh as fresh as you can.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

One good beer from Voodoo...

Smells great. Nice aromas of orange and coriander. Also nice nice background floral notes too. Typical aromas from the Belgian yeast they use as well.

Tastes even better. Typical witbier flavors of the orange and coriander. But Voodoo packs this beer with a bunch of pepper which gives it a nice zip to it. Background flavors of spice and yeast too. Nice crisp carbonation. Also a nice little bitter bite that helps to cut the sweetness a little. Finishes with a little lemon after taste.

Great beer. This one goes down quite easy. Watch the 6.75% ABV though. It can sneak up on you.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

A-Hazy golden-orange copper with a thick, foamy white head that reduced to a thin cap and left copious lace.

S-Sharp and spicy fresh ground pepper dominate. Backing notes of orange peel, coriander and herbal hops come through upon warming.

T-A spicy myriad of peppercorns along with bright/bitter orange rind, coriander and herbal/grassy hoppiness. Touch of pine resin in the dry finish.

M-Medium-light bodied, long lasting spiciness in a very dry finish.

D-Tons of peppery spice flavours meld well with the combination of additional spices. A dry, nicely flavoured summer brew. This one will not disappoint your palate.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours a translucent honey color with about a half finger of pure white head. The foam settles incredibly fast, but leaves a nice frothy ring along the edges of the glass. There is a little lacing as it drinks.

S: I’m picking up huge pepper, some orange, roses, and clove. The pre-dominate scent is pepper. There is no doubt about it. It’s actually a bit overpowering.

T: The initial hit is mild citrus and a bit of malty sweetness. But right after, the peppercorns come on strong. Really strong! The spice is incredibly noticeable, but the nice thing is that it’s not a lasting spice. It sits well on the palate and moves off with the other flavors. If you’re not a fan of peppercorns in beer, this isn’t a beer for you. Luckily I love these types of beers.

M: Light bodied beer. The carbonation is just right and the flavors are solid. There is nothing too exciting or terrible about it.

O: If you’re not ready for a peppercorn explosion… stay away from this beer. It reminds me of CBC’s Sgt. Pepper, but on steroids. Good thing I love peppercorn beers. I thought this beer was really solid. But it’s definitely a love it or hate it type of brew. I’m somewhere in the middle but leaning towards the good side.

White Magick Of The Sun from Voodoo Brewing Company