White Magick Of The Sun - Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  6.75% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

This White ale is made with a little Voodoo Twist. We use our house Tripel yeast and add the average unmalted wheat, wheat, barley and just add more of each. Hopped evenly and spiced with coriander, bitter orange peel, juniper and Jeremys' favorite spice to remain a mystery. This beer is to be the answer to those hot summer days. Blows away carbonated water!!!!!
4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

This is my favorite beer, I think it is so good.

Appearance - The label on the bottle, along with all Voodoo labels, are very unique looking and inventive. The beer itself pours a typical Wheat Ale color with a 2 finder head and good retention. I see lots of carbination bubbles floating up.

Smell - I can really smell the flavors that are at work here, very fruity smell that is fully developed.

Taste - I can taste all of the flavor from the berries and orange peel, then there is an aftertaste of peppercorns which to me is completely unique, and very very good

Mouthfeel - Like all other Voodoo beers I have had, they have a very light mouthfeel and very easy to drink.

Overall - Like I said at the start, this is my favorite beer, I enjoy the fully developed taste from the Juniper Berries and Orange Peel with that peppercorn kick. The taste is very unique to me. I will buy again, and buy for friends (especially ones out of their distributions range) when needed. (976 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

Brewed with unmalted wheat, wheat malt, malted barley, raw oats, malted rye, coriander, bitter and sweet orange peel, juniper berries, 12 varieties of peppercorns, lemon grass, and caraway. About 6.75% ABV. Fermented with the Voodoo house Belgian Ale yeast. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle. The website specifically states this is "not a Wit Bier!"

Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a modest white head with average retention and lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is heavenly with a boatload of orange peel, a fair amount of coriander, and a subtle hint of pepper. The juniper and caraway don't stand out in the mix. Medium dense body with a pillow soft mouthfeel and very smooth as it goes down, with a dry finish. The taste is exceptional. I just love this beer. It starts out beautifully with this nice orange and wheat sweetness, then is followed by a brilliant blast of peppercorn. I just love this combo. There is some tropical fruit yeast esters like mango and pineapple in there as well. The carbonation and mouthfeel are perfect...not fizzy and lightbodied like a traditional wit. Bitterness is beautifully balanced, and there is a very subtle twist of juniper in there as well. No off flavors or smells. Impeccably brewed.

What can I say? This is an exceptional beer! Reminds me of Short's Nicie Spicie, which would be it's only competitor or style equivalent I can think of. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely buy it again if I can find it local. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. (1,527 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +25.1%

Hazy gold body topped by an ever-lasting, thick white head. Pull out your weizen glasses for this one, guys - you need the room for this head. Aroma is Loaded with fresh coriander aromas, backed by hints of wheat and fruity esters. Flavor is sweet up front, then gives way to a crisp coriander note. A slight peppery bitterness cleanses the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and perfect. Carbonation isn't too aggressive. Drinkability is also fantastic. I hope there's more of this at the store next week. This is one of my new favorites and one of the few beers to really blow me away in a long time. Also my first taste of one of the Voodoo offerings. (647 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

22oz Bomber at the Union Station Brewpub in Erie. Not sure of bottling date.

This is just an awesome take on the Wit Beer style. Other reviewers have stated that this resembles nothing like a Wit Beer and nothing like what they were expecting from a Wit. That is the point entirely. This is not the Norm and anyone familiar with Voodoo, knows his beers are not the Usual.

12 varieties of Peppercorns? You have got to be kidding! But it works to great effect. This is just a light enough style for a summer sipper but could also work well in the doldrums of winter. I like when Brewers put their own unique stamp on a style and that is exactly what Matt Allyn does with his beers.

Cheers to Voodoo! (701 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy apricot color with a relatively modest head that leaves some lace

Smell: Orange, coriander, white pepper and a sweet dough character that carries a hint of honey

Taste: Opens with a honey sweet but primarily herbal fruity flavor, with juniper berries and coriander complementing the orange; the peppercorn spice and yeasty flavors build by mid-palate; after the swallow, the more mellow orange herbal and sweet flavors return and dominate until the very end, when the pepper make a biting reappearance that refuses to fade

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This one is producing a bar-bell of reviews - some love it and some hate; mark me up as a fan as in my view it is a well-crafted singular beer by a brewer who clearly has a flair (801 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Hazy orange body with reddish tones. Fluffly white head, about 2 fingers worth. Leaves a very slight lacing.

The aroma is great. It has both pepper and a hint of orange, but the passionfruit is pretty noticeable also. The combination of the aromas is great.

All the trappings of a classic wit are there, a touch of orange peel and peppery coriander are backed up by a little bit of a wheat twang, and the flavor is well done. However, the passionfruit and a slight berry flavor comes through also, and these are great. I was skeptical about this one, but this is a tasty beer.

Body is slightly thicker than I would expect, but it is balanced by good carbonation.

Very drinkable, a great and interesting beer. (712 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

Bought a bottle (12oz) of this at my local six pack shop for 3.25. Not bad for a great brew! I had no idea there are 12 different types of peppercorn in the world...

A - Looks like a blonde. Hazy yellow with white head which laces the glass with a swirl.
S - smells of yeast and spice. Slight orange zest.
T - Slight pepper and orange. Hops not present so bitter is not an option.
M - Almost creamy and flavor is not overpowering.
D - At 16.99 a sixer it's a bit expensive but I could see myself buying another single again (maybe a bomber if I can find it for under 7.00)

Overall a great twist to the typical blond and another win for voodoo. I got the Big Brown Ale for new years and can't wait to try it but this beer is easily one of my favorites by Voodoo. (763 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to mikereaser for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy/cloudy golden-orange with an enormously sticky, four finger head that left a ton of lace behind as it slowly melted down to a thin skim and bubbly ring. Loads of suspended sediment were spied floating.

S: The first thing I could smell when I cracked the cap was fresh ground pepper. Peppercorns are the dominant aroma here but as it warms, subtle aromas of orange peel, noble hops, dried wildflowers, and spices.

T: Freshly ground green, black, and white pepper along with some citrus peel, herbal hops, coriander, spicy yeast, pine, dew-moistened grass clippings, and dammit, I can even taste the juniper berries!

M: Bone dry and very spicy. The peppercorns did a spicy little dance on my lips and tongue. Surprising lack of sweetness for a witbier.

D: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a Witbier spiked with juniper berries and 12 varieties of peppercorns, but man o man! What a refreshing dry and peppery beer. (1,045 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

At a recent bottle share, this brew was the surprising winner. Poured into the sampler glass, the beer was a nice golden color with a bubbly head. There was something spectacular yet unidentifiable about the nose on this beer. As best I can determine, the aroma was like overripe pineapple, being a very sweet version of pineapple. On the initial taste one immediately notices the high level of carbonation. With the citric notes, it reminded me somewhat of lemon-lime soda. As the carbonation settles a bit, one notices the juniper berries, lime, and the hints of the promised yeast. As the beer finishes, lime stands out in the aftertaste, lingering on the sides of the tongue. I enjoyed this one a great deal. (712 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I tried this at a beer festival and then later bought a bottle. Both were a cloudy, golden color with nice head. I was a little skeptical reading about the '12 peppercorns', but my beer festival version was beautiful! I was delited at how the peppercorns melded into the tart wheat, coriander, and bitter orange to create an aroma and flavor that was unique but truely enjoyable. Unfortunately, my bottled version lacked the peppercorn notes making it your average wit. I did not check the bottle date (or if it had one) but I'm guessing that the peppercorn flavors and aromas age out, so try to get this beer as fresh as fresh as you can. (639 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Pours a dark gold that's almost completely clear with an off-white foamy head that billows to a nice cap and then slowly fades to a ring around the glass.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a warm, savory pepper aroma. The smell of both green and black peppercorns come through with herbal, spicy notes. A slight bready aroma comes through.

T- Very peppery and very herbal. Green peppercorns and corriander are very much in the foreground, giving the beer a very unique, savory flavor. Witbiers are typically much sweeter and would pair with something very light, but this would go great with spicy or grilled foods. In the background, there's a slight yeasty flavor with mild hints of spice (namely clove). The aftertaste has a slight sweetness and a definate brisk character.

M- Very dry and crisp. Mildly astringent, but not in a bad way. The carbonation feels just right.

D- Goes down very easily, although it definately makes you stop and think with each sip. (977 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

22oz bottle from the Belgian Cafe

A: Hazy, light orange/golden yellow color. Light, whispy head.

S: Orange and lemon, honey & coriander, pepper and yeast.

T: A nice, complex balance of citrus, sweeet honey, coriander and juniper, peppery and yeasty bread finish that lingers.

M: Medium in body with good carbonation.

D: Excellent, complex tasting lighter belgian style wit. (378 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

One good beer from Voodoo...

Smells great. Nice aromas of orange and coriander. Also nice nice background floral notes too. Typical aromas from the Belgian yeast they use as well.

Tastes even better. Typical witbier flavors of the orange and coriander. But Voodoo packs this beer with a bunch of pepper which gives it a nice zip to it. Background flavors of spice and yeast too. Nice crisp carbonation. Also a nice little bitter bite that helps to cut the sweetness a little. Finishes with a little lemon after taste.

Great beer. This one goes down quite easy. Watch the 6.75% ABV though. It can sneak up on you. (615 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

A-Hazy golden-orange copper with a thick, foamy white head that reduced to a thin cap and left copious lace.

S-Sharp and spicy fresh ground pepper dominate. Backing notes of orange peel, coriander and herbal hops come through upon warming.

T-A spicy myriad of peppercorns along with bright/bitter orange rind, coriander and herbal/grassy hoppiness. Touch of pine resin in the dry finish.

M-Medium-light bodied, long lasting spiciness in a very dry finish.

D-Tons of peppery spice flavours meld well with the combination of additional spices. A dry, nicely flavoured summer brew. This one will not disappoint your palate. (625 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed golden yellow color. Three fingers of frothy white head with excellent retention and a good amount of lacing. Some of the spices are found throughout the beer and also on the bottom.

4.5 S: The nose is really nice. The pepper is ever-powerful and really sets this beer out from others of the style. Next is a nearly as powerful corriander. Juniper and orange peel complements underneath it all. Neutral wheatiness throughout. Very nice.

4.0 T: Taste is nearly as good. Lots of pepper and corriander again give a big bold taste, but manages to not be overdone. Juniper comes to the main show while the orange peel again plays a complementary role in the shadows. Neutral wheat. I love the huge spiciness. Pepper lingers on the tongue.

4.0 M: Medium body. Perhaps a touch too much spritzy carbonation. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

4.5 D: This is a very tasty, very spicy version of the style. Really a great beer for a summer afternoon. I suspect I'll be drinking more of this in the future. (1,043 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Pours a translucent honey color with about a half finger of pure white head. The foam settles incredibly fast, but leaves a nice frothy ring along the edges of the glass. There is a little lacing as it drinks.

S: I’m picking up huge pepper, some orange, roses, and clove. The pre-dominate scent is pepper. There is no doubt about it. It’s actually a bit overpowering.

T: The initial hit is mild citrus and a bit of malty sweetness. But right after, the peppercorns come on strong. Really strong! The spice is incredibly noticeable, but the nice thing is that it’s not a lasting spice. It sits well on the palate and moves off with the other flavors. If you’re not a fan of peppercorns in beer, this isn’t a beer for you. Luckily I love these types of beers.

M: Light bodied beer. The carbonation is just right and the flavors are solid. There is nothing too exciting or terrible about it.

O: If you’re not ready for a peppercorn explosion… stay away from this beer. It reminds me of CBC’s Sgt. Pepper, but on steroids. Good thing I love peppercorn beers. I thought this beer was really solid. But it’s definitely a love it or hate it type of brew. I’m somewhere in the middle but leaning towards the good side. (1,237 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11%

It was like I awoke from a dream I am mundanely wandering through the supermarket when I stumble through the beer aisle, I awake to a fuzzy image of a familiar bottle that would never be accessible through a grocery store even in dream. However, once my senses cleared and I realized I was in the new Giant Eagle Market District I realized that Voodoo Brewing out of Meadville, PA was reasonably priced and available at a retail individually priced.

I love Matt Allyn and company, these folks are passionate about their brews. This one appears a pale hazed bright golden orange hue with a nice everlasting white head that sticks to the sides of my glass very nicely.

Aroma is top heavy with the peppercorns but it's such a unique quality that it totally captivates your senses, I don't know any other brewer out there making quality white ale with 12 varietals of peppercorns. Spicy with not just the peppery kick but the citrus qualities from orange peel and lightly done coriander accents excite me and my senses. The juniper berries brings on a touch of fruitiness and earthy bark like tones, similar to the original Yellow Snow Ale from Rogue.

Flavor brings out a nice slightly creamy effervescence that I've only found in other witbiers, the peppery kick is out of this world. Coriander, orange peel equate to the traditional white ale experience I'm glad somebody else decided upon an original take within the spice additions that could open up this beer style. A beefier alcohol content than your average is on the label but not detected in the nose or flavor profile. A marriage of grain, wheat, spices and yeast notes.

Mouthfeel overall is medium bodied but heavy for an average wheat again the alcohol and grain content probably outweighs the average original gravity for the style. No alcohol burn on the finish, just a layer of flavor and spices in the finish which really bring out the heart and soul of this flagship offering.

Drinkability is great one of those beers I can sink my teeth into with a meal, a fine dining experience I believe this one was around 4-5 dollars for a 22 ounce portion at the newly opened Giant Eagle Robinson Market District. (2,177 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11%

This is a great beer to enjoy in the summer. Poured from a bomber bottle into my oversized snifter. This witbier pours with a faint orange yellow color. Abundant head bellows fluffy like marshmallow. No real smell noticed. Flavors are far more pronounced than most witbiers. Toasted wheat, orange-lemon, coriander are noticed also a balance of hops. Mouthfeel is a little watery. Very drinkable. (395 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Found this on a trip to Pennsylvania. It survived the plane ride home and is being cracked tonight.

A: Orange, yellow, cloudy, huge fluffy white head that sticks around forever

S: Orange, wheat, spice, belgian yeast,some lemon zest

T: Lemon, wheat, belgian spices, a bit of bread, malt, refreshing.

M: A bit dry in the mouthfeel and mild carbonation

D: Would be an amazing summer beer. I'm guessing this sat a bit but even still this beer is great. (453 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Pours hazy golden with a thick head and incredible retention. A huge head develops when the beer is agitated in the glass. No lacing.

Smell: An explosion of juniper berries, orange peel, coriander, peppercorn, wheat malt, and yeast. Every spice listed on the label is present in the nose.

Taste: Wheat malt and Belgian yeast funk up front followed by peppercorn and juniper. Finishes moderately bitter with a peppery bite. Slightly sour in the finish as well. The huge spicing overwhelms the subtle notes of the beer, but the addition of wheat and Belgian yeast is detectable.

Mouthfeel: It's light in body and crisp in carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability for such a heavily-spiced brew. With its moderate ABV, I could easily enjoy another bomber of this on a warm spring day. (807 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%

Picked up this bottle last weekend when I was in the Philly area. I've only had a few brews from Voodoo.

A - Cloudy light orange, huge bright white fluffy heady, minimal carb streams, little to no lacing

S - Brilliant creamy and spicy citrus aroma

T - Decent peppery spice up front, creamy citrus and mildly bitter middle. Finishes tart like orange juice.

M - Feel nicely medium in body.

O - I really enjoyed this beer a lot. It's got the typical witbier flavor profile but with some very defined citrus and pepper notes. I appreciate intensity in flavor and this one is far from subtle. (592 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Appears a hazy light gold with a fluffy white head that slowly fades into a head of fluff. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of orange peel, juniper berries, peppercorn, coriander seed, tart wheat, and mild sugar.
Taste is of the aromas with a honey like sweetness complimenting the bitter citrus hops and freshly baked bread.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, semi-sweet, crisp, and semi-dry in the finish. (431 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Last one from the variety pack.

Poured into fluted pint glass, presented with a nice frothy, off white head that clings to the glass. Color is a hazy straw to light gold. A little clearer than expected, with good carbonation.

Smell is a hit of peppercorn, followed nicely by the bready wheat malt and light sour/sweetness of the lemon. hints of the other spices, but I can not identify.

Taste is the peppercorn upfront, followed by the malt flavor, with more peppercorn and finishes with a balance of lemon and malt. Nice mixture of flavors, so surpsing that this pushes 7% abv.

Mouthfeel is very nice, good balance, flavors hit the tongue and cheek well with a nice bit of carbonation to keep it interesting.

Drinkability is very good, i like the flavors that the triple yeast creates, a bit different than most wits, with not much banana/clove flavors, but I like it. Very drinkable for the abv. (902 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle courtesy of one of my PA brothers. Which one I simply can't recall. Poured into a tulip.

A: Slightly hazed golden orange hue, Solid two fingers of bright white head. Good retention. Sticky lace.

S: The Belgian influence is pronounced in the nose. Plenty of spicy yeast, coriander, orange rind, black pepper, wheat. Smells like an amped up wit to me. My burps are loaded with black pepper. Yum.

T: Flavors are similar to the nose. spicy Belgian yeast, coriander, oranges, pepper. Clean and crisp.

M: Light body with a biting carbonation.

O: Very nice summer quaffer. I would have no problem crushing a sixer of this stuff on a summer day. (650 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish orange color. Provides a small white foam head that quickly dissipates to a film. There is moderate lacing.

S: There is ample amounts of pepper flavors, orange and lemon zest, coriander and some wheat.

T: The pepper spice hits the palate first, with a slight undertone of orange. The middle adds some wheat flavor to the taste. Finishes with a yeasty, pepper spice and citrus zest taste.

M: Good carbonation on this light to medium body beer. Leaves a spicy peppercorn taste on the palate.

D: Very clean and refreshing with a slight pepper kick. One of the more unique Witbier's I have tasted. Would certainly try more. (650 characters)

White Magick Of The Sun from Voodoo Brewing Company