White Magick Of The Sun - Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  6.75% ABV

Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

This White ale is made with a little Voodoo Twist. We use our house Tripel yeast and add the average unmalted wheat, wheat, barley and just add more of each. Hopped evenly and spiced with coriander, bitter orange peel, juniper and Jeremys' favorite spice to remain a mystery. This beer is to be the answer to those hot summer days. Blows away carbonated water!!!!!
3.33/5  rDev -10%

Pours a slightly hazy amber gold with a sudsy white head that dissipates to lacing.

Smells like malts and spices. Piney a bit. Definite coriander.

Tastes malty with coriander and vanilla spices.

Body is moderate with slight carbonation throughout.

Not bad. Interesting take on a wit with some varied features. Not fantastic though.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Appears a hazy light gold with a fluffy white head that slowly fades into a head of fluff. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of orange peel, juniper berries, peppercorn, coriander seed, tart wheat, and mild sugar.
Taste is of the aromas with a honey like sweetness complimenting the bitter citrus hops and freshly baked bread.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, semi-sweet, crisp, and semi-dry in the finish.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

a: This was a cloudy straw colored yellow. It poured with a large white fizzy head.

s: I didn't find the fresh, vibrant yeasty banana I was hoping for. Spices dominate instead. I found coriander and a little citrus, plus some earthy yeast.

t: On the dry side for a wit, a bit too much so for my liking. I read the label afterward and I think I found the culprit, juniper berries. They obviously weren't trying to make a traditional wit, but I'm not a big fan of their take. It seems musty, spicy, and lifeless.

m: Not as chewy as some wits, with a lingering dryness.

d: Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

Pours a turbid rusty orange with a gigantic, splashy bright white head. The aroma is delicate but distinct - spicy, sweet, jasmine-like, with elements of spice pear or peach. It becomes more fragrant as the beer warms. The flavor is surprisingly malty, with an oaty, sweet grainy edge. The spice and fruit is evident - pear and apricot and slight peach. There is a haze of rosewater in the background. There is a peppery spiciness on the tongue, though that fades quickly to a fruity sweetness on the finish. The mouthfeel is quite slick.

This is a good beer.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

poured a white amber with good white head,3finger. lacing sticks around. looks good white.

smell is orange peel, coriander, and pepper. very nice. and the triple yeast.

tastes orange up front, touch of alcohol and the triple yeast. The first few mouthfuls were way too heavy on the pepper finish. It was like getting a mouth of pepper. now i like pepper. but that was all i got. now it's settled a bit, but still a bit too heavy for me

Mouth is good for a white, finishes a bit dry. and too much pepper which lowers drink too.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a $4 bottle at Liberty St. Tavern and poured it into my pint glass. Though it's strong for the style, you can't tell. This is a smooth wit. The big spices really define the beer, with coriander and orange peel sticking out. Some of the finer elements get lost, like the 12 different peppercorns, but the lemon grass and a general pepper taste compliment the other spices. Unless you're a style purist, check this tasty and interesting wit out.

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a hazy light golden orange color with light yellowish orange hues when held to a light source and two finger frothy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

Sweet citrus aroma with hints of orange and lemon peel along with a prominent bready yeast character and zesty spice. I'm picking up some peppery spice and possibly corriander as well.

Heavily carbonated up front with a thin body which contains a lot of citrus flavor and peppery spice. Slightly dry finish. There lots of orange peel and other citrus fruit flavor that is balanced by spicy pepper and corriander as well a some sweet alcohol. Decent I guss but nothing I would seek out again.

3.67/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle from DuqTroops (Secret Santa)

Pours a murky, somewhat ugly dark golden color that is considerably darker than what most wits are. Decent head but not much in the way of lacing or retention.

Aroma is pretty much all coriander and a bit of fruit.

Flavor is way overdone on the coriander but a little citrus shows through. I was almost positive that this doesn't contain the standard witbier yeast because I tasted a bit of banana and some breadiness. BA confirms that it is their "tripel" yeast. Low bitterness.

The body is medium and pretty drinkable. The coriander could defintely stand to be toned down but its a decent beer all around.

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Hazy gold body topped by an ever-lasting, thick white head. Pull out your weizen glasses for this one, guys - you need the room for this head. Aroma is Loaded with fresh coriander aromas, backed by hints of wheat and fruity esters. Flavor is sweet up front, then gives way to a crisp coriander note. A slight peppery bitterness cleanses the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and perfect. Carbonation isn't too aggressive. Drinkability is also fantastic. I hope there's more of this at the store next week. This is one of my new favorites and one of the few beers to really blow me away in a long time. Also my first taste of one of the Voodoo offerings.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Bought a bottle (12oz) of this at my local six pack shop for 3.25. Not bad for a great brew! I had no idea there are 12 different types of peppercorn in the world...

A - Looks like a blonde. Hazy yellow with white head which laces the glass with a swirl.
S - smells of yeast and spice. Slight orange zest.
T - Slight pepper and orange. Hops not present so bitter is not an option.
M - Almost creamy and flavor is not overpowering.
D - At 16.99 a sixer it's a bit expensive but I could see myself buying another single again (maybe a bomber if I can find it for under 7.00)

Overall a great twist to the typical blond and another win for voodoo. I got the Big Brown Ale for new years and can't wait to try it but this beer is easily one of my favorites by Voodoo.

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

It was like I awoke from a dream I am mundanely wandering through the supermarket when I stumble through the beer aisle, I awake to a fuzzy image of a familiar bottle that would never be accessible through a grocery store even in dream. However, once my senses cleared and I realized I was in the new Giant Eagle Market District I realized that Voodoo Brewing out of Meadville, PA was reasonably priced and available at a retail individually priced.

I love Matt Allyn and company, these folks are passionate about their brews. This one appears a pale hazed bright golden orange hue with a nice everlasting white head that sticks to the sides of my glass very nicely.

Aroma is top heavy with the peppercorns but it's such a unique quality that it totally captivates your senses, I don't know any other brewer out there making quality white ale with 12 varietals of peppercorns. Spicy with not just the peppery kick but the citrus qualities from orange peel and lightly done coriander accents excite me and my senses. The juniper berries brings on a touch of fruitiness and earthy bark like tones, similar to the original Yellow Snow Ale from Rogue.

Flavor brings out a nice slightly creamy effervescence that I've only found in other witbiers, the peppery kick is out of this world. Coriander, orange peel equate to the traditional white ale experience I'm glad somebody else decided upon an original take within the spice additions that could open up this beer style. A beefier alcohol content than your average is on the label but not detected in the nose or flavor profile. A marriage of grain, wheat, spices and yeast notes.

Mouthfeel overall is medium bodied but heavy for an average wheat again the alcohol and grain content probably outweighs the average original gravity for the style. No alcohol burn on the finish, just a layer of flavor and spices in the finish which really bring out the heart and soul of this flagship offering.

Drinkability is great one of those beers I can sink my teeth into with a meal, a fine dining experience I believe this one was around 4-5 dollars for a 22 ounce portion at the newly opened Giant Eagle Robinson Market District.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I tried this at a beer festival and then later bought a bottle. Both were a cloudy, golden color with nice head. I was a little skeptical reading about the '12 peppercorns', but my beer festival version was beautiful! I was delited at how the peppercorns melded into the tart wheat, coriander, and bitter orange to create an aroma and flavor that was unique but truely enjoyable. Unfortunately, my bottled version lacked the peppercorn notes making it your average wit. I did not check the bottle date (or if it had one) but I'm guessing that the peppercorn flavors and aromas age out, so try to get this beer as fresh as fresh as you can.

3.07/5  rDev -17%

22oz bottle

Pours a yellow orange color with a small white head that has zero retention. Spicy wheat, curry, saffron, nutmeg, this one is loaded with spices. Very unique for sure, im not sure how much of this i would ever be in the mood for though. Light and soft in body, moderate carbonation, an interesting beer but not one i would revisit.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Hazy golden-orange copper with a thick, foamy white head that reduced to a thin cap and left copious lace.

S-Sharp and spicy fresh ground pepper dominate. Backing notes of orange peel, coriander and herbal hops come through upon warming.

T-A spicy myriad of peppercorns along with bright/bitter orange rind, coriander and herbal/grassy hoppiness. Touch of pine resin in the dry finish.

M-Medium-light bodied, long lasting spiciness in a very dry finish.

D-Tons of peppery spice flavours meld well with the combination of additional spices. A dry, nicely flavoured summer brew. This one will not disappoint your palate.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to mikereaser for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy/cloudy golden-orange with an enormously sticky, four finger head that left a ton of lace behind as it slowly melted down to a thin skim and bubbly ring. Loads of suspended sediment were spied floating.

S: The first thing I could smell when I cracked the cap was fresh ground pepper. Peppercorns are the dominant aroma here but as it warms, subtle aromas of orange peel, noble hops, dried wildflowers, and spices.

T: Freshly ground green, black, and white pepper along with some citrus peel, herbal hops, coriander, spicy yeast, pine, dew-moistened grass clippings, and dammit, I can even taste the juniper berries!

M: Bone dry and very spicy. The peppercorns did a spicy little dance on my lips and tongue. Surprising lack of sweetness for a witbier.

D: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a Witbier spiked with juniper berries and 12 varieties of peppercorns, but man o man! What a refreshing dry and peppery beer.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

22oz bottle from the Belgian Cafe

A: Hazy, light orange/golden yellow color. Light, whispy head.

S: Orange and lemon, honey & coriander, pepper and yeast.

T: A nice, complex balance of citrus, sweeet honey, coriander and juniper, peppery and yeasty bread finish that lingers.

M: Medium in body with good carbonation.

D: Excellent, complex tasting lighter belgian style wit.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap a Capone's. Wow this one has flavor and it keeps coming as you finis your glass. Do you like pepper? Then you will like this one. It appears and pours like a wit. Cloudy gold with a hint of sunshine. Light head that rises and fades with ok lacing. Your nose will enjoy this as many smells hit the nose. Pepper as well as some orange and a slight sweet smell. Did I mention a pepper smell? The taste is complex with the same tones as you smell. In the mouth it bubbles away to a pepper after taste. I as I consumed more the pepper started to overtake all other flavors. I had my four ounce taste and I need water and crackers before the next tasting. If you like pepper this one is for you. I think I am still getting the pepper taste out. Later

4.07/5  rDev +10%

White magic holds a darker color than your usual wit with a light golden copper look, just a thin cap on the tap with scarse lacing. Smells of coriander, orange peel and a special Belgian yeast. Taste like a wit with a added kick. peppercorns, coriander, wheat and yeast with a nice hop presense. This is a tasty wit no doubt. White magic also has a slightly above thin body with a low abv making it very drinkable.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%

A- Pours a dark gold that's almost completely clear with an off-white foamy head that billows to a nice cap and then slowly fades to a ring around the glass.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a warm, savory pepper aroma. The smell of both green and black peppercorns come through with herbal, spicy notes. A slight bready aroma comes through.

T- Very peppery and very herbal. Green peppercorns and corriander are very much in the foreground, giving the beer a very unique, savory flavor. Witbiers are typically much sweeter and would pair with something very light, but this would go great with spicy or grilled foods. In the background, there's a slight yeasty flavor with mild hints of spice (namely clove). The aftertaste has a slight sweetness and a definate brisk character.

M- Very dry and crisp. Mildly astringent, but not in a bad way. The carbonation feels just right.

D- Goes down very easily, although it definately makes you stop and think with each sip.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Appears in a bottle, poured into a pint glass, leaves some soapy webs behind a quickly diminishing hazy light lemony body.

Smells kind of like a hefeweizen.

Taste is pretty solid. Peppery zing and fruity notes. The yeast is a bit funky. Found this one to be rather pleasant.

Mouthfeel is smooth a bit slick as well.

Drinkability is wonderful. This is a really nice beer for the spring/summer months.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

appearance: Light gold, straw color. Very clear. Thin white head that disipated quickly leaving little lacing.
smell: Orange, coriander, cinnamon. You can smell a bit of acidity from the yeast. very pleasing smell almost like a belgian triple.
taste: toffee, citrus acidity, slightly spicy from the peppercorns. There noticeable malt, and very little bittering hops. You can taste the yeast at work in this beer. It is complex, but subtle, pretty hard to pick out all of the different flavors that I think are present.
mouthfeel: light to medium bodied, nicely carbonated, goes down smooth.
drinkability: This could a decent session beer if I ever saw it on tap. It is a little strong on the intial drink, but it smooths out quickly.

This is my first voodoo beer. I think that they have the stuff to be a excellent brewery. I will be picking up some more of their beer when I find it.

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle -

POurs clean golden on first pour, so, knowing that it was a wit, and the cloudiness comes from the "finishing swirl", I poured it into different glasses. The last produced a cloudy golden orangey body. The bubbly white head towers than collapses. A rush of effervescent carbonation rises to the top. Foamy lacing sticks.

The smell of black pepper is very strong (almost too much). Orange peel zest and some cotton candy come through, but almost overwhelmed by black pepper.

The taste of black pepper is balanced by a bubblegum/cotton candy sweetness and an orange zest tang. It is perfumy/medicinal, but in an appropriate way for the style. It is one that grew on me, as the pepper settled in. It has a spicy, dry finish.

The feel is effervescent and light-bodied.

Black pepper is almost too much here, though as it settles, it develops more complexities. A bit too spicy for me to want to keep drinking, but a 22-ouncer set well with me. A spicier, "different" wit that still fits in with the general guidelines of the style.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at South Philly Tap Room on 3/6/09 during Philly Beer Week.

A - Slightly hazy golden/light orange body with half a finger of bubbly white head that transformed into a patchy veil and some spotty lace.

S - Spicy nose with an apparent pepper character, some clove, and plenty of Belgian yeast. I get a sense of some other more exotic spices such as ginger.

T - OK, I think the "white magic" part of the name refers to the copius amount of white pepper added into the mix. Fresh-a Pepp-a? In addition, there are lots of other spices mingling with the pepper, including clove, ginger and coriander.

M - Light to medium bodied with a slight syrupy texture and soft carbonation. Extremely spicy on the palate with some residual alcohol heat.

D - Thank you, Pepper Boy, that was the perfect amount of pepper. Bravo! I found this to be a very unique Belgian-inspired brew with an abundance of pepper and spices.

4.85/5  rDev +31.1%

Brewed with unmalted wheat, wheat malt, malted barley, raw oats, malted rye, coriander, bitter and sweet orange peel, juniper berries, 12 varieties of peppercorns, lemon grass, and caraway. About 6.75% ABV. Fermented with the Voodoo house Belgian Ale yeast. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle. The website specifically states this is "not a Wit Bier!"

Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a modest white head with average retention and lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is heavenly with a boatload of orange peel, a fair amount of coriander, and a subtle hint of pepper. The juniper and caraway don't stand out in the mix. Medium dense body with a pillow soft mouthfeel and very smooth as it goes down, with a dry finish. The taste is exceptional. I just love this beer. It starts out beautifully with this nice orange and wheat sweetness, then is followed by a brilliant blast of peppercorn. I just love this combo. There is some tropical fruit yeast esters like mango and pineapple in there as well. The carbonation and mouthfeel are perfect...not fizzy and lightbodied like a traditional wit. Bitterness is beautifully balanced, and there is a very subtle twist of juniper in there as well. No off flavors or smells. Impeccably brewed.

What can I say? This is an exceptional beer! Reminds me of Short's Nicie Spicie, which would be it's only competitor or style equivalent I can think of. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely buy it again if I can find it local. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Poured a light orange coppery color with a quickly disappearing head. Smelled the pepper more than anything. Taste was not what I was expecting and lacking in the orange peel and heavy on the pepper. Mouthfeel was light with with average carbonation. Not my favorite Witbier although I love the brewery and the effort to make something distinctive.

White Magick Of The Sun from Voodoo Brewing Company