2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

4 Seasons IPA - Voodoo Brewing Company

4 Seasons IPA4 Seasons IPA

good

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 4 Seasons IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 247 | Reviews: 130 | Show All Ratings:
B967ierhunter177

1.65/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a slightly hazy gold with a thin head and lacing that lasts to the end. It's aroma is fruity, flowery with a hint of honey. The flavor is grapefruit. It starts as sour grapefruit but gets smoother as it warms. There's not much here other than grapefruit. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Voodoo 4 Seasons IPA is an acceptable beer, not a hop bomb like most American IPAs, just one dimensional. Not recommended.

11-01-2011 02:28:38 | More by B967ierhunter177
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

Not sure which batch/"season" this is...

A- Poured into my pint glass... Pours a very very think foamy head that is a nice light/pale orange color. The beer itself is one of the deepest orange colors I have ever poured, with a hit of copper to darken. Overall, a very hazy beer with some stuff floating around in the glass.

S- Aroma was fairly weak. Hard to get a good sniff, but it has a very slight caramel toffee sweetness underlying a prominent peach smell with a tad pine/earthy notes. I liked the smell, but it was hard to find...

T/M- Hmmm... Not sure how much I like this. I think I can tell that it is a decent IPA, but it's not my style, so I'm having a bit of an opinion crisis. I feel like the bitterness is a bit too harsh and don't get enough of the hop flavor. There seems to be not enough of a malt backbone or sweetness to cover up how offensive the bitterness is. (and don't get me wrong, I love a great very bitter IPA, but this one is too harsh and stings the tongue) The hops I do get under the bitterness is very grainy with some fruity tones. It is medium carbonated and has a medium body, kind of bland overall mouthfeel I get from this.

D- I don't really think this is very drinkable. Again, the bitterness is too harsh. I tend to lean away from the piney/earthy/grainy IPAs and like the more Fruity/Citrus/Flowery IPAs... It came off too bland with not enough to back it up. I was craving more hop flavor with every sip... I may try this again some time down the road since they claim this beer changes each season; not sure, we will have to see...

01-14-2011 19:42:40 | More by TheGordianKnot
Dubber55

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

No freshness info. I have no idea what season this is.

Pours a copper/amber with 1 finger head. Spotty lacing.

The first characteristic I notice in the nose is wet cardboard and some sort of mineral smell. Definitely earthy.

Earthy, musty. Tastes similar to tea leaves. Very little pine. Fleeting flavor. I do notice a little breadiness which I assume is toasted malt.

Mouthfeel is solid. A little resiny. Not a lot of carbonation

I dont really taste very much alcohol. But, the cardboard/earthy/mineral smell is kind of throwing me off. I am also tasting a little too much in the way of malts. There is not enough bitterness in this IPA for me.

03-15-2011 01:41:50 | More by Dubber55
sholland119

2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A-As noted in most other reviews, the bottle almost explodes when you open it and the head is huge. But you really have to see it to believe it. After 10 minutes, the head was still climbing. I scraped off an inch of foam from above the rim of the glass (yes, above the rim) and another half inch 5 minutes later. After 20 minutes, the head hadn't really settled but instead left clumps of foam in the glass that looked like icebergs. Oh, yeah, the beer itself was a cloudy coppery amber. Not bad.

S-Not very hoppy, maybe a little floral. Kind of dull though.

T-Very earthy taste, no real piney or citrusy flavors. I am not sure I'd have guessed it was an IPA.

M-a little oily, not in a bad way but the chunks of foam are really distracting.

D-Probably a great beer to drink if you have to drive. It could easily take an hour and a half to get through what's left of the bottle after the initial gushing.

I really liked this one.

Well, maybe not. A bland beer that is really annoying to wait and wait to drink. I can't wait to see that slogan on the billboards.

HV

03-14-2008 14:54:09 | More by sholland119
OWSLEY069

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to copper color, with a light tan head. In the aroma, a small pine hop and a dry bread like maltiness. In the taste, a small hop presence and a dry biscuit like maltiness. A bitter and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry hop stickiness and biscuit like aftertaste. Kind of malt heavy, and not that big on hops.

09-15-2010 15:03:53 | More by OWSLEY069
MCain04

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks for the extra Tommyguz! Poured into a HF glass.

Pours out a murky, swamp-water brown with a pure white head of large and medium bubbles. Definitely one of the least attractive IPAs I've seen before, fwiw,

Smells of dank hops, piney and floral, a little citrus notes.

Taste is of citrus hops and pine needles, but there's some sourness and horse blanket going on that I'm sure wasn't the intention in this beer. Lots of off flavors.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, stinging, light bodied, very dry.

Overall, with no freshness date on it, this may be a very old bottle or may just have been infected. Would like to try it again some time and re-review.

11-07-2013 21:46:49 | More by MCain04
regspeir

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass
aggressive pour revealeved a huge head which settled into a sudsy, off-white head which lasted throughout. Lacing was thin but also lasted. Color was a dark, cloudy orange/amber. The nose was VERY strong malt and not a lot of the hops you would expect in an IPA. There is some grassiness and orange and lemon, but the roasted malt is what hits you. The taste is not a shock after the nose - heavy roasted malt, a tinge of orange and lemon and ample bitterness, especially in the finish. Mouthfeel is a little creamy, moderate carbonation and fairly light. This beer reminded me of what an IPA would be like if kept in the cellar way too long. I know there are people who really like this style of an IPA but I am not one of them.

07-27-2010 19:18:49 | More by regspeir
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with 1 finger head

smell: citrus, hops, earth, grass,

taste: grassy, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: just an average IPA. I'm a hophead I'm pretty sure I know when I taste the good ones.

Cheers,
The CPJ

05-24-2011 23:27:09 | More by THECPJ
AleWatcher

3.03/5  rDev -18.3%

Blind bomber #7 from the Blind Bombers BIF!
This beer is reviewed without any knowledge of the beer, brewery, or even style.

Upon cracking this open, I thought it belonged in a pint glass...

Pours a deep copper color with some sedimentary yeast in there. Nice thick 2 finger tan head, the color of sugar in the raw, good retention and lace. I wouldn't be surprised if I've had this before, but no idea which one it would be. These dark ones aren't my favorite color, but I can deal with it.

The smell has huge grapefruit hops over a base of caramel malts that possess a biscuity and bready quality.

Surprisingly nice balance. Sweet, bready, toasted biscuit. Grapefruit hops with a touch of resiny pine in the finish. The bitterness isn't over-the-top, but it isn't Glassjaw Joe either.

The body is medium-full (like medium-well). Great carbonation level-- smooth and creamy. Lively feel.

This is going great... until it starts to warm up. Once it warms, I'm getting some sort of odd chocolate/cocoa flavor? Maybe even some sort of coffee-like bitterness?
If I reviewed this before it warmed up, it would have scored better...
Now, I'm not saying I let this warm up to 50 or 60 degrees... I took it from the fridge and set it on the counter for 4 or 5 minutes while I put away some groceries. I then poured it and consumed it... Less than 7 minutes into the review (I know exactly how long because I do my reviews into my iphone using the voice notes app) the beer started taking a turn for the worse. If it starts to turn south as soon as it passes 40 degrees, then we have a problem!

Rips off the paper to reveal... 4 Seasons IPA from Voodoo.
Wow. I have has this one before-- but this time it must have been a bit more fresh!! This time it scored higher in nearly everything except taste!

09-20-2010 02:02:15 | More by AleWatcher
jakekohut

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Had this beer courtesy of mikereaser thanks Mike:

Had Green Label

I was very excited to try this one, after reading the reviews it seemed to go either way on the good to bad scale.

It poured amber/gold with not alot of head (don't know if it was an older bottle)

I agree with some of the other reviews, it did smell a bit floral and woodsy with not very much hop.

There were no Hops in this beer I swear! Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it is for an IPA.. Highly carbonated and very tough to finish.. I am going to try to get the other 3 seasons to see the differences but I like my IPA's with some citrus and refreshment and this was neither.

06-28-2008 14:47:58 | More by jakekohut
claspada

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Silver (spring) cap if anyone cares, so this has been "aging" in the store for a good 8 months now.

Aromas of subtle earthy/flowery hops and slight biscuity malt notes bring up the rear.

The taste begins with citrus hops which is odd because I didn't detect any in the aroma. Flavors are quire hoppy and not nearly as malty and earthy as the appearance/aroma lead you to believe.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Finishes fairly dry. Overall, I would say this is poor example of an American IPA and a good example of an English IPA; maybe that is just because it is not as fresh but either way that is how I am perceiving/rating it now.

12-10-2010 00:37:36 | More by claspada
yinzer

3.08/5  rDev -17%

An IPA that will have four versions. The label says that it will range from “Earthy and malty to citrusy and crisp”. I hope that this is the citrusy and crisp version. It has a green label with no indication of “what season”. Bought and consumed 11/07.

appearance: Copper with lots of chill haze. I’m some what worried. Big head. Tight white bubbles, no lacing. When I poured the last glass (I even changed glasses, both goblets) I got a frothy Saison type head. Hmmmm….

Smell: not too much on the ester side. Some orange, but also incense and a slight bandaid. Maybe proteins from the chill haze?

taste: OMG bitter. No fruit, some malt. But something seems to be hiding the malt. Pretty much bitter pine notes w/o much balance. Oh well. The 8% is well hidden.

mouthfeel: Actually not bad at all.

drinkability: Overall I’m disappointed. I’m hoping that something happened to the yeast. Or that the yeast got to eat something that it shouldn’t. That would be a scenario that can be fixed.

11-07-2007 05:04:14 | More by yinzer
maximum12

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Thanks to sholland for directing this one my way in a summertime trade.

Pouring, pouring, this IPA reminds me of Dark Horse Crooked Tree - more floaties than looking down a hole in the ice on a Minnesota lake in February. About 353 floaties per square inch. Interesting. Smell is fleetingly sweet.

Taste comes in with some subdued hops. That's not the right word. The hops aren't front & center but kind of slip through on the undertongue. Not much else going on, really.

Surprised to see this listed as 8%, that's crawling into IIPA territory, & there's no alcohol apparent at all. I'll echo a previous reviewer, won't have any trouble finishing this, but don't feel the need for another.

12-03-2008 01:46:32 | More by maximum12
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

22 ounce bottle - no freshness date. It says on the label that they make one for each season (though web said that they will do two for now - if I read it right.) I assume this is the "winter" one.

Pours hazed orange amber/copper with a fluffy/pillowy white head. Some patches stick. Subsequent pours pour all head that slowly descends. Annoying. First pour fine, second half annoyingly head.

The smell is of caramel, medicine (cat pee?) with leafy, floral, herbal undertone. A spiciness mixes in, but caramel malt rules.

The taste is herbal/earthy, slightly metallic with caramel/toffee - towards chocolate. Malty and sweet in the middle, going to bitterish in the finish. Bitterness rounds out the sweetness (would prefer other way around). There is a medicinal tone to it. Alcohol warmth shows, though not to the 8% listed here.

The feel is pretty creamy, though overcarbonated. A salty, minerally dryness lingers.

Malty with a leafy bitterness in the finish. I suppose I could see where they were going, making a maltier IPA for the winter, but don't know that I appreciate it. I can slowly finish it, but wouldn't look for more. Too many brighter, hoppier, tastier IPA's out there.

02-26-2009 23:42:45 | More by jwc215
rudzud

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Received as an extra in a trade with Sliphorn. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a crystal clear light coppery orange hue with a half a finger off white head that fades to a nice cloud and good thick halo. Minimal side lacing.

S - Aroma is fairly average. Some dank, almost cardboardy citrus hops. Dank oranges. This is followed by heavy malts and sweetness. Definately a higher ABV IPA.

T - Light touch of citrus and pine. There is a fair amount of malt and malt sweetness with this beer. This is a bit too malty for my liking. I can appreciate how the ABV isnt picked up on the pallet, but, just not enough hop for me.

M - Mouthfeel isnt bad, slight creamyness, an dthe alcohol is hidden nicely. Again though, just too malty for my liking.

O - Overall perhaps this is an older bottle, but as it stands this just isnt for me. IPAs are tough. Theres so damn many of them its hard to rise above the pack. For me, this one is just average.

03-24-2012 02:38:48 | More by rudzud
JAXSON

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

From a bottle, pours a really hazy orange. Large, still head. Smells a little of overripe tropical fruits along with a middling hop presence. Flavor has this weird mineral note, some mango perhaps. A little pine resin and a decent enough malt presence. Fine, nothing special.

11-05-2010 03:08:02 | More by JAXSON
Jimmys

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

12 oz bottle into my hardywood tulip.

A: very dark for an IPA. a murky dark orange body with a slightly off-white head. retention is respectable with good lacing. not sure how i feel about this amber/brown color though...

S: a citrus lemon twang battles with plenty of caramel notes. dandelions. there is a also a vanilla aroma in there that when combined with the caramel smells kinds of like a cowtail.

T: sweet upfront. caramel combines with a fruity/american hop flavor. a very minor bit of heat/rubbing alcohol flavor. lime tartness bites towards the finish. finish is sweet and lasting.

M: average carbonation on a medium body.

D: hard to believe this is an 8%abv IPA as it drinks more like a 6.5%. besides that, weird to have more malt presence than hop presence in an AIPA and is something i cant get by. pass.

side note: from what i understand from the label is that this bottle will yield four different IPA's throughout the year based on season. I bought this bottle in May, so i assume i am drinking the spring version? almost wish each brew had its own listing...

05-22-2012 01:52:49 | More by Jimmys
number1bum

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

When I cracked this bomber the first thing that I noticed is this one seems more than amply carbonated. And the pour confirms that suspicion as the foamy head quickly filled the glass. This one took forever to settle down. Literrally forever. I had to scrape some of the foam (it's not even good head, just foam) off just to get to it. When I finally did it's a hazy amber color. But what a friggin obnoxious mess.

Smell has lots of orange and pine hop aromas, with a bit of sweetness to it too. Nice.

Taste is very piney and quite bitter. This pretty much constitutes a hop bomb, I would say. There is some citrusy orange flavor, too, and a touch of sweetness, but not enough to provide anything nearing balance.

The carbonation issue negatively affects the mouthfeel, as well. The carbonation is vicious and it makes it much too harsh in the mouth. It's so vicious it makes my teeth hurt. It also seems a little thin for 8%, but that's not surprising given the lack of malt balance.

I'm afraid that this beer is really undermined by the carbonation issue. It's also pretty much a hop bomb and is lacking in the malt department, making it quite unbalanced. Voodoo has much work to do with this one.

05-20-2008 19:40:33 | More by number1bum
mgbickel

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a fizzy, three finger, bone colored head. The loosely packed bubbles receded down to a thin film, leaving behind some trails on the sides of the glass. The body is hazy and translucent; pumpkin colored with amber and straw hues.

The nose is sweet an candy-ish up front with citrus hops in the background. You can dig up some bread and caramel malt aromas also.

Where did the sweetness from the nose go?? All of the flavors I can pick up are in varying degrees of bitterness. The hops start off piney but turn acidic toward the end...ungood...

Medium mouth feel, oily and well carbonated.

If the taste would match the nose, this would be 1st class. Drinkable as is, but not a top of the line IPA.

02-23-2010 20:56:46 | More by mgbickel
nhindian

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a light amber, fairly cloudy as well but with no sediment. About 2 fingers worth of ivory head forms quickly, composed of small, soapy bubbles. Nice retention as well, finally ending with a thin film of foam acting as lacing.

S - The nose is full of citrus fruits, especially grapefruit. A bit of malt and alcohol, and it actually has a somewhat skunky note in the finish.

T - The taste is similar to that of the nose, where the main focus of this is the grapefruit, but there is a good amount of pine as well. Slightly less malty here and it takes on a more hop-forward phase. Some bitterness in the finish, with a touch of alcohol and skunk? once more.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with decent carbonation. Feels good on the palate and moves easily. Definitely get the hop stickiness that weighs on the tongue which is nice.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. An easy-drinking beer for the most part, but it just seems to come across as a bit one-dimensional. There's grapefruit and a bit of pine, but that's pretty much it. The bitterness and alcohol saps the finish away, so the aftertaste is just bitter citrus. I guess this is the Fall version so there are 3 others left to try...

11-16-2011 03:01:12 | More by nhindian
justintcoons

3.31/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Murky amber with 2 fingers of off-white head. Excellent retention.

Nose
Grapefruit, lemon, Fruity Pebbles and caramel.

Taste
Bitter red grapefruit, lemon and pine. Caramel with hints of toffee. Fruity esters with notes of rye and orange zest.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp and dry.

Overall
Nothing too exciting here. Easily gets lost among the million-billion-trillions of IPAs out there.

08-04-2013 22:18:07 | More by justintcoons
Douglas88

Utah

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

22oz bottle thanks to Linus_Stick, yellow cap. Pours...well this is like I threw four ounces of water into a cup full of dish soap, I mean this is a cup full of foam. Amazingly, later pours continue this insane foamy character. This is quite annoying actually. Anyway, a clear amber color. The aroma is sweet caramel and malts, some toasty malt and citrus hops. The flavor is full of a soapy and slightly bitter hop, some toasted caramel malt, some pine and light citrus. Not really what I like, the hop profile is too much like soap, and that head is insane. Drinkable for sure. Not bad.

11-13-2008 01:59:41 | More by Douglas88
beerthulhu

3.33/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A dark tomato-orange pour produces a monstrous and quickly evolving rocky head that was beige in color. Cavernous voids form around the outer perimeter lapsing the head first around the edges leaving a towering center piece and a dense covering of spongey splashes for a lacing. The visible effervesce was strong initially, but settles down rather quickly to a dull lifeless offering revealing a light misty haze within the bodywork.

S: Soft hints of fresh wet grass appear first on the nose. The strength was incredibly weak with vague notes of green plant material and faint traces of dried oranges. Even after several frantic minutes of agitation I failed to summon any appreciable signs of hoppiness that would lead me to believe this was a pale ale let alone an ipa. Lame, forgettable, and lends nothing to the overall experience.

T: The hops come to play in the flavor with dry toasted malts set against a moderately strong bitterness of dry grassy notes mixed in with some minty highlights. The finish is pungent, filled with bitter pulp of grapefruit and a lingering grassy-alcohol fueled fade that stays with you long after. The overload of hops used for bittering may have been spared for use on the aromatic appeal thus giving this some balance. The hops were bitter and strong, but one-dimensional in flavor, lacking any complexity or transition, and appeared that the brewer just dumped handfuls of hops in the beginning for bitterness and couldn't be bothered there-after. A boatload of hops does not necessarily make a good ipa without regards to some complexity and balance at least by my standards.

M: The mouthful was decent, bitter and dry with a toasted grain warmth, but ultimately felt a bit light for me and lazy on the hold lacking a good crispness factor. A wallop of grassy hops cover the tongue upon the swallow.

D: A one dimensional drink that may entice the "meathead" hopheads who love an overload of hops and nothing else, but will probably disappoint those looking for an extended experience. As a dumb downed ipa it fills all your one dimensional hops needs hitting the spot, for those looking for range, balance, and aromatic appeal need to look else where.

07-22-2010 23:19:24 | More by beerthulhu
Mora2000

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is pretty straightforward. I get a lot of pine and bread notes and not too much else. The flavor is very similar. There is a mix of pine and orange citrus notes from the hops, as well as some biscuit malt which keeps the bitterness fairly low for the style. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

09-29-2011 04:01:25 | More by Mora2000
jackorain

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Very cloudy medium brown liquid looks more copper when held up to the light. Head is off-white and loose but very stable. It hung around quite awhile. As it did fall it left interesting lacing actually like lace. It also left a tall crown in the middle surrounded by a deep 1/4 inch coat rising to 1/2 collar that leads to the aforementioned lace. I would have rated the appearance higher if it didn't appear so muddy without being held up to the light.

Aroma is initially lemony citrus hops and biscuit malt. Some sweet caramel comes up as it warms.

Very bitter intially, this followed by lemony and grapefruit citrus. Biscuit malt and caramel malt come in the middle but really do nothing to balance out the bitterness. A firm green hop bitterness comes in the end. Finish is lingering dandelion greens bitterness and a sour tinge. Not infection just acidic lemony sourness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodies with a high level of carbonation.

Drinkability is kind of low, overall, I don't love this one. I can drink one bomber but ten have to set these aside for a while before I return to it. I split a case a bomber with a friend and it has taken me about 2 months to get to this, the fifth one.

Thanks For Reading