4 Seasons IPA - Voodoo Brewing Company

4 Seasons IPA4 Seasons IPA

good

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-25-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 4 Seasons IPA Alström Bros

HeyJim, Mar 24, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a slightly hazy gold with a thin head and lacing that lasts to the end. It's aroma is fruity, flowery with a hint of honey. The flavor is grapefruit. It starts as sour grapefruit but gets smoother as it warms. There's not much here other than grapefruit. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Voodoo 4 Seasons IPA is an acceptable beer, not a hop bomb like most American IPAs, just one dimensional. Not recommended.

B967ierhunter177, Nov 01, 2011

thatdirtymick, Dec 28, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

Not sure which batch/"season" this is...

A- Poured into my pint glass... Pours a very very think foamy head that is a nice light/pale orange color. The beer itself is one of the deepest orange colors I have ever poured, with a hit of copper to darken. Overall, a very hazy beer with some stuff floating around in the glass.

S- Aroma was fairly weak. Hard to get a good sniff, but it has a very slight caramel toffee sweetness underlying a prominent peach smell with a tad pine/earthy notes. I liked the smell, but it was hard to find...

T/M- Hmmm... Not sure how much I like this. I think I can tell that it is a decent IPA, but it's not my style, so I'm having a bit of an opinion crisis. I feel like the bitterness is a bit too harsh and don't get enough of the hop flavor. There seems to be not enough of a malt backbone or sweetness to cover up how offensive the bitterness is. (and don't get me wrong, I love a great very bitter IPA, but this one is too harsh and stings the tongue) The hops I do get under the bitterness is very grainy with some fruity tones. It is medium carbonated and has a medium body, kind of bland overall mouthfeel I get from this.

D- I don't really think this is very drinkable. Again, the bitterness is too harsh. I tend to lean away from the piney/earthy/grainy IPAs and like the more Fruity/Citrus/Flowery IPAs... It came off too bland with not enough to back it up. I was craving more hop flavor with every sip... I may try this again some time down the road since they claim this beer changes each season; not sure, we will have to see...

TheGordianKnot, Jan 14, 2011

Sebz33, Jul 20, 2014

nmann08, Dec 19, 2011

Satchboogie, Feb 27, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

No freshness info. I have no idea what season this is.

Pours a copper/amber with 1 finger head. Spotty lacing.

The first characteristic I notice in the nose is wet cardboard and some sort of mineral smell. Definitely earthy.

Earthy, musty. Tastes similar to tea leaves. Very little pine. Fleeting flavor. I do notice a little breadiness which I assume is toasted malt.

Mouthfeel is solid. A little resiny. Not a lot of carbonation

I dont really taste very much alcohol. But, the cardboard/earthy/mineral smell is kind of throwing me off. I am also tasting a little too much in the way of malts. There is not enough bitterness in this IPA for me.

Dubber55, Mar 15, 2011

whartontallboy, Aug 03, 2012

hollywood_15063, Jan 30, 2013

IPAyForHops, Jul 02, 2013

Em30, Mar 29, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A-As noted in most other reviews, the bottle almost explodes when you open it and the head is huge. But you really have to see it to believe it. After 10 minutes, the head was still climbing. I scraped off an inch of foam from above the rim of the glass (yes, above the rim) and another half inch 5 minutes later. After 20 minutes, the head hadn't really settled but instead left clumps of foam in the glass that looked like icebergs. Oh, yeah, the beer itself was a cloudy coppery amber. Not bad.

S-Not very hoppy, maybe a little floral. Kind of dull though.

T-Very earthy taste, no real piney or citrusy flavors. I am not sure I'd have guessed it was an IPA.

M-a little oily, not in a bad way but the chunks of foam are really distracting.

D-Probably a great beer to drink if you have to drive. It could easily take an hour and a half to get through what's left of the bottle after the initial gushing.

I really liked this one.

Well, maybe not. A bland beer that is really annoying to wait and wait to drink. I can't wait to see that slogan on the billboards.

HV

sholland119, Mar 14, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to copper color, with a light tan head. In the aroma, a small pine hop and a dry bread like maltiness. In the taste, a small hop presence and a dry biscuit like maltiness. A bitter and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry hop stickiness and biscuit like aftertaste. Kind of malt heavy, and not that big on hops.

OWSLEY069, Sep 15, 2010
2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks for the extra Tommyguz! Poured into a HF glass.

Pours out a murky, swamp-water brown with a pure white head of large and medium bubbles. Definitely one of the least attractive IPAs I've seen before, fwiw,

Smells of dank hops, piney and floral, a little citrus notes.

Taste is of citrus hops and pine needles, but there's some sourness and horse blanket going on that I'm sure wasn't the intention in this beer. Lots of off flavors.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, stinging, light bodied, very dry.

Overall, with no freshness date on it, this may be a very old bottle or may just have been infected. Would like to try it again some time and re-review.

MCain04, Nov 07, 2013

brick2181, Dec 02, 2012

ejimhof, Nov 26, 2011

mmsimmons, Mar 29, 2013

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass
aggressive pour revealeved a huge head which settled into a sudsy, off-white head which lasted throughout. Lacing was thin but also lasted. Color was a dark, cloudy orange/amber. The nose was VERY strong malt and not a lot of the hops you would expect in an IPA. There is some grassiness and orange and lemon, but the roasted malt is what hits you. The taste is not a shock after the nose - heavy roasted malt, a tinge of orange and lemon and ample bitterness, especially in the finish. Mouthfeel is a little creamy, moderate carbonation and fairly light. This beer reminded me of what an IPA would be like if kept in the cellar way too long. I know there are people who really like this style of an IPA but I am not one of them.

regspeir, Jul 27, 2010