Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout - Voodoo Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2009

Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout
I also had this one on Nitro, but I had it at the House of 1000's beers in New Kensington in a tulip glass. The Nitro was oh so good to it, yumm.
Eye: It is easy on the eyes with a black oil look and a beige head.
Nose: The smell hit me right away with vanila, milk, cocoa. Maybe because of the nitro the vanilla was very much the dominant smell, or maybe I was mistaking the lactose sugar for vanilla
Taste: It was again to me vanilla, chocolate, coffee, dark malts, ultra-smooth with me not noticing the alcohol much. It was very balanced.
Moulth: It was very smooth, creamy as a result of the nitro. Not much carbonation. Pretty thick feel. Like a chocolate vanilla beer milk shake, my heaven.
This stout is one of my favorite dessert sort of beers. It reminded me right away of Southern Tiers creme brulee stout. I actually like it better than the creme brule stout though, sorry Southern Tier I still love you.

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Nice dark brown look. Coming off the nitro tap you can see head shoot down to the bottom of the glass and coming back up. Nice head with a coated lace.

S- Chocolate and and coffee notes.

T- Chocolate and oatmeal. Very creamy tasty almost like drinking a Chocolate milkshake. Sweet and did I saw tasty.

M- Very Creamy through the whole sip. Go's down very easy.

D- Man I have to give this up to my partner for recommending this is beer. A killer beer from start to finish. The nitro just enhance the whole experience for this beer. Thanks Capone's

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

It seriously takes about five minutes for the bartender to pour this into a tulip glass (Doobie's, 22nd and Lombard near Fitler Square)

A: Typical stout color, but the chocolate-colored head on top is the real attention-grabber.

S: Right behind the roasted malt there's this hint of—is that vanilla?

T: Yes, it is. Not so in-your-face; just enough to complement the bitterness. Fantastic.

M: I don't mean to overdo the confectionary analogies, but that head is like ice cream. I want to get lost in it and never come out.

D: Quite possibly the best stout I have ever had. With every glass—and I've had many—it goes from beautiful to better.

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

One of the best stouts. And tap handles I've seen in the longest time.

I ordered it by the name.. The smell was ripe coffee beans and chocolate milk. Like a frozen chocolate coffee. The cascading of the beer was so pretty. I wanted totake a picture to keep. Taste was. Simple. Frothy chocolate milk with a hint of coffee beans.
This beer marries milk chocolate and coffee. Perfectly.

Voodoo is simply .. The doodoo! That's a good thing

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Second time I had this, @ Hulmeville Inn, Pa.

A - Dark pour with a minimal head that almost completely disapated, but did hang around till the end with some lacing along the glass.

S - You can smell the chocolate right up front and not much else,maybe a slight hint of coffee.

T - WOW ! took me back to my childhood when I would sneak sips of Hershey's syrup from the can in the fridge. OK, its not that sweet, but that first hit on the taste buds is a blast of chocolate. As it warms a little it seems to have a Kaluah like taste at the finish,where everything seems to come together.

M - Nice, rich and full but not too much.

O - I love this, very easy to drink, wouldn't even know the ABV was 8.5%. " I have a fever, and the cure is more COWBELL"

Note: First time I had this it seemed to taste a little sweeter, not sure if it was a nitro-tap so I'm wondering if that made a difference.

4.79/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this on-tap at Fathead's. Note: This was not on nitro and for that I'm incredibly happy. Came in a snifter.

3.5 A: Black in color and came without a head.

4.5 S: Rich mocha and lots of lactose. Oats, vanilla, and hints of roasted barley and coffee. This is in your face powerful.

5.0 T: Wow, again a Voodoo stout does not disappoint. The taste is simple amazing. Tons of chocolate that mixes well with the ample lactose. Again, lots of vanilla. Roasted barley and coffee notes give the overall impression of a rich cappucino (well, it would if the coffee component was stronger). Not nearly as complex as BBVD, but equally in your face and tasty.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body. Lactose makes this rich and super creamy. Good moderate carbonation. Incredibly smooth. This in no way needs nitro.

5.0 D: So good I had another glass. The best milk stout I've ever had. I feel sorry for those that had this on nitro, because they really missed out on something special. Incredibly tasty and so drinkable that a few too many might not be enough.

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful nitro draught with silky head on a beautifully dark beer. Smells are sweet luscious chocolate. Taste is true with silky smooth chocolate with great creamy mouthfeel. As good a milk stout as I've ever had. Would love to see this bottled but for now seek it out and don't pass on it if you do find it.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

A-On nitro tap at Capone's poured into a shaker pint glass. Oh the beautiful cascading nitro pour, Like Guinness, only good. A nice one and a half finger head followed by copious amounts of lacing.

S-A very nice blend of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and caramel and roasted malts.

T- Incredible, like drinking a mocha milk shake. Strong coffee and chocolate flavors with some vanilla and a creamy sweetness in the background.

M- Oh so smooth, possibly the greatest mouthfeel I have ever experienced in a beer. the nitro just makes for a ridiculously smooth beer.

D- Goes down so easy. I don't know what else to say, except I really hope that Voodoo decides to bottle this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap at Piper's Pub 06/05/2011

Arrived at my table in a 12oz goblet. A thick layer of dark mocha foam formed a perfect cap on top of the oil black body. The head pretty much retained throughout the drink, dissipating ever so slowly...lots of lacing.

The nose of this will get you mouth watering! Chocolate, heavy cream, roasted malts and (to a lesser extent) coffee.

The taste is right in line with the nose...starts off with a sweet lactose flavor, creamy cocoa in the center and a roasted coffee finish. Very flavorful, but not very complex.

The mouthfeel is pretty much where I feel a stout should be...right on the border of medium and heavy with a little slick-ness and low to moderate carbonation.

This is a great offering...one I have been seeking out for a while and extremely happy it did not disappoint. I really wish they would bottle this one...will quickly become the standard for the style.

4.73/5  rDev +8.5%

Review from notes. Poured from Nitro-tap at the brand new Voodoo Brewing Company's brewpub in Meadville, PA June 30th, 2012, their grand opening night. I do not recall the price. The price did not matter that night.

A Absolutely no light can make it through the snifter full of greatness that is Cowbell. A nice 3 inch head took its time dissipating. I cannot imagine an improvement to the look. 5.0

S Great dark roast malt but a nice milky/cream sweetness is also noted in the smell. This smell certainly makes me want to drink it! 4.5

T Great balance between the dark roast malt, the sweet creamy milk taste and a kick of alcohol but really it is well eclipsed by the great tasting creamy dark roast malt. As I enjoyed this well crafted Milk stout I struggled to think of a better made version of this style. I could not. 5.0

M Smooth as silk while maintaining that great dark roast and creamy milk characteristic. Nearly perfect. 4.5

D/O Drinkability is just great. Overall this is a world class Milk Stout.

Notes: So happy to support Matt and everyone at Voodoo Brewing Company on the occasion of their Grand Opening in Meadville! Now, can you open a second brew pub in the Cleveland area?

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First had: on nitro at Capone's, Norristown, PA

2011 batch: Poured a luscious black with a creamy finger of tan head. Aroma of thick chocolate and roasty malts...nothing else really needs to be said. A tiny almost imperceptible twang of cocoa bitterness in the taste up front is quickly overcome by rich chocolate-vanilla milkshake goodness, with the nitro giving it a decadent smoothness. Full bodied, flavorful, and highly drinkable. One of the best milk stouts I've ever had. Easily.

2012 batch: I don't want the rating to suffer because I have faith in this beer. However, apparently due to capacity issues, Cowbell was contracted out and brewed at Dark Horse. And regrettably, I think it has suffered because of that. From what I've had of it so far, it's lost alot of its chocolatiness, and taken on a much more generic and roasty profile. It's not nearly as good as it was in '11, but I have hopes that it'll improve again. I'd rate this batch probably about a 4/5 at the most, which is still pretty good.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I read these reviews and just get totally lost. I don't know all the intricacies of beer, so this is no more than an "Average Joe" review.

I was lucky (smart) enough to head to Meadville for the grand opening of Voodoo Brewing Co's brewpub. This was the 3rd beer I had and by far was the highlight, not only of the day, but of all stouts I've had probably since Evil Twin's Soft Dookie.

This beer poured as dark as you can imagine a stout with a big, foamy head. Over good conversation and people watching, the head dissipated, but lasted quite a while.

The only aroma I got, that I could place, was sweet chocolate, but apparently I just don't know/can't pick lots of aromas as I read others' reviews.

Taste; what can I say. I was so glad I had this last because there could be no better finisher. Taste backed up the aroma. Sweet, creamy chocolate. I saw a gif recently that had cocoa beans flowing in a river of molten chocolate over a bed of chocolate chunk. That's the only equivalent I can think of, just chocolate madness... in a fantastic way.

I don't get the whole mouthfeel part, but this beer was perfect. Creamy chocolate goodness that was more than sippable. Definitely easy to drink in between talking/watching.

Like I said, best stout I've had in a while. I can't wait to get back and get some more Cowbell!

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this at Capone's last week. Matt recommended it, and I was SO glad I had it.

A- Pours/cascades as only the best ales provide. Reminded me of cask pulled.

S- Rich scents rising from the glass...dark malts and touch of milk chocolate.Soft but friendly hints of alcohol. Pleasant not at all overbearing. Was that Madagascar vanilla??

T- Oh yeah. Now the vanilla comes through. Accents and complements the malt and hops. Everything seems to marry so well...hints of sweetness, touches of vanilla, in a medium full malty oatmeal body. With each taste...flavors move around,highlights slightly different flavors. This beer could be explored over and over.

M- My personal bias, and found this very good. Rich and cream like, full but not over the top. Agree with "mikereaser"...this is a treat!

D- This brew has all the makings of a great winter/cold weather ale, but it is SO easy to drink and has a wonderful lightness that makes me think I could drink this all night, and any time of year.

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

On nitro at the hulmeville inn. Thanks to the brewer matt for the free beer. Good dude.

A- comes to me with a picturesque cascade that builds a gorgeous two fingers of super creamy dense off white head. Dark as hell brown almost black.

S- like chocolate milk with a touch of coffee. Sweet and roasty.

T- sweetened condensed milk and milk chocolate. Mild roasted coffee and malts. Cocoa powder and hints of black berry.

M- smooth and creamy, rich and luscious. So perfect.

D- what can I say this is amazing stuff and the brewer is one of the best guys in the game.

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

On nitrotap, served in pint glass. Appears opaque jet black with a thick 1" off-white head. The head diminishes very slowly as it rides the beer to the bottom of the glass, leaving nice lacing. Aroma is mild, roasty malt a bit of chocolate. Taste is cross of oatmeal stout and milk stout, with a nice highlight of vanilla flavor that really ties it all together. Very smooth thick body. Like a beer milkshake.
Looks like I've got a new favorite Milk Stout.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Nitro Tap at UPick6 in Erie PA. The sweet creamy milk stout aroma is complemented perfectly with a deep, dark black color and huge foamy brown creamy Nitro head. Foam on top,a layer of tiny bubbles underneath, and the Black as night Stout on the bottom, Nice.
Aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Flavor is really deep and complex. A little sweet bit super smooth mouth feel. Really a great beer. 1 of the Best Imperials I have had. And you can barely tell the alcohol presence in thisBrew from the Beer God. Loved it!

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

I had several tasters of this at Pa Flavor served on nitro-tap.

An opaque black color with creamy golden brown cap w/ tight micro bead and some good lace stickage-looks like a cappuccino. The smell is excellent with creamy cocoa odors and subtle burnt grain tinges but a bit more of a dark chocolate aroma dominates with subtle vanilla. The feel is good, but to me the nitro doesn't necessarily improve the overall beer -sure it gives it its creaminess, but it strips and adds bitterness. The burnt malt quality comes forward with slight astringency, the feel is semi-thick and mildly sweet with creaminess high and semi-dry finish with hardly any alcohol detected.

The taste is very good, there is a nice mix of vanilla, cocoa and the mild burnt malt flavor as mentioned before. The roast is present, yet not over the top or out of place it compliments the slight dark roast coffee and caramel malt w/ some toasted flavor. I enjoy the mild vanilla cream as the beer has a smooth nitro finish. A crazy good stout-just as smooth as they come with no hint of 8% on this anywhere. I could enjoy this repeatedly: in fact I did over the course of a few hours, a high quality stout.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Voodoo Cowbell has a black body and only a thin line of brown head. Retention and lacing are lacking.

The aroma is great. Coffee with cream, smooth and sweet.

Cowbell Leads off with some sweetness, a hint of chocolate, and then a strong dose of coffee. Before the coffee flavor can become bitter or too powerful, a lactic-cream flavor comes through, mixing with the coffee flavor to form a flavor like coffee with cream added. Actually, I think it tastes more like coffee with Irish Cream. There is a high amount of sweetness, but the coffee and a bit of warmth cut through to stop it from becoming cloying. Slight fruit notes linger in the background, but you really have to look for them. The finish has some more malt flavors thrown in. So what we have here is a mocha with Irish cream. Although I'm not a huge fan of Irish Cream, I really liked this one.

The mouthfeel is good also, thick and creamy with carbonation a little bit on the low side. Very smooth. I've seen that a lot of places are pouring this beer on nitro-tap. I had mine on a normal CO2 setup, and I think that is the best way to pour this beer.

I always try things from Voodoo if they are new or I find them on-tap, so I was naturally interested in trying this one, and I'm glad I did. Even if you aren't a voodoo fan, however, this is a beer you should try. This might be the best milk stout I have ever had.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Nitro draft served in a pint glass.

A: Average sized head, extremely creamy and frothy and medium dark brown in color. Incredible retention. The body is as opaque as it gets, black, and visibly thick and sticky. Excellent lacing in the form of sheets with concentric rings around the glass.

S & T: Heavy malts of chocolate, lightly roasted coffee beans and toasted grains. Mild burnt character. The hops are light and earthy. Flavors of chocolate milk, cream and vanilla bean work together delicately. Perfect balance between bitter and sweet chocolate. The lactose character really stands out in this milk stout.

M: The full and very thick body is velvety smooth on the palate. This may be the silkiest, creamiest mouthfeel I've ever experienced. The nitro definitely helps out and is, in my opinion, requisite to enjoy this brew to the fullest capacity. The carbonation is only average but perfectly appropriate at the same time. Finishes dry and chalky. Lightly sweet and lightly bitter.

D: Through the roof. This beer was made for nitro.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this on-tap at Capone's.

Poured into a pint glass. Has the cascade effect like Guinness but this one is more brown in color. Head is thick and creamy and remains with the beer for the duration leaving tremendous amounts of lacing behind.

Smell is light but it consists of some bittersweet chocolate,vanilla extract and coffee.

Taste is superb. This beer probably hides the alcohol (8.5) better then any beer i've ever had. This tastes like straight up chocolate milk made with Hershey's syrup. A slight aount of both coffee and vanilla are there, but overall is chocolate milk with no sign of alcohol whatsoever.

Because this was on nitro the mouthfeel is out of this world. Light,creamy,smooth,silky to name a few.

Drinkability is tremendous. The delicious flavor and the mouthfeel combine to make a helluva beer. I highly,highly recommend this one. Especially on nitro!

Reviewed from notes.

Poured in to pint glass from a nitro tap. Took a very long time to pour, but it was worth every minute.

Jet black with a velvety smooth tan head. The head lasted until the end of the beer and it left some pretty kickass lacing.

Very roasty. Chocolate, coffee, and some toffee.

Smooth milk chocolate and roasted malt hit front. The chocolate and taste of lactose subside a bit and lets the roasted malt and coffee flavors really shine, though it is very sweet throughout. Nice bitter finish.

Full bodied and chewy. Very creamy. Slightly astringent finish.

This was one super awesome stout. Not at all what I was expecting, but it blew my expectations out of the water.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer looked like very dark coffee, with a light brown head that faded quickly.

The aroma drifting off the glass was of sweet chocolate.

The taste is sweet chocolate mixed with milky creaminess: chocolate milk with a kick. It's as if you added a shot of vodka to really good chocolate milk, but with none of that harsh alcohol bite. The alcohol is present, but it's subdued, mellow, and smooth.

The mouthfeel is smooth, rich, and creamy.

This beer is boozified chocolate milk, it's incredibly easy to drink, and I want another glass.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Has that nitro-tap look, with a thick cloudy black color and a latte cap that sticks from start to finish while leaving plenty of foam sticking to the pint glass

Smell: Chocolate milk, pure and simple

Taste: Chocolate milk flavors dominate from start to finish, although there is also some roast, vanilla and hops in there as well; the lactose is well utilized in this brew

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy, with soft carbonation

Drinkability: Voodoo always seems to come through and this beer is no exception; really a nice example of a milk stout

4.49/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ The Library

Appearance: its dark in here so i assume the beer is the same. One finger ultra creamy beige head

Smell: Very clean aromas of milk chocolate and roasted malt

Taste: A wonderful milk chocolate taste upfront and roasted malt mid palate. Both come together perfectly throughout the finish

Mouthfeel: light medium body; One of the smoothest beers iv ever had, slight coffee like bitter finish

Overall: Absolutely world class oatmeal/milk stout right here. The milk chocolate characters of say Left Hand nitro milk stout and the roasted malt aspect of Rogues chocolate stout meld together perfectly for me. They blend so well yet stand out on their own as different flavors. This is one of the better stouts iv had in a while period, and im glad to call it local. Hell of a job Voodoo!!

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Dark brown to black in color with a modest, but rich biege head. Excellent head retention that slowly reduced to a thin foamy cap. Sweet chocolate and roasted malt aromas, hints of chocolate malt balls and coffee. Smooth, rich, milky, slighty resinous texture. Sweet chocolate and roasted malt flavors, sweet malt ball and sweet sugary cream flavors toward the middle and end. As it warmed, a rich, floral, hoppy flavor intensified at the finish. An excellent stout. No hint of the higher ABV.

Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout from Voodoo Brewing Company