1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout - Voodoo Brewing Company

Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout
No picture uploaded.

Voodoo Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2009)

phishphorce, Aug 30, 2012

JimmytheSaintPSU, Aug 21, 2012

Brown120, Aug 17, 2012

drperry11, Jul 27, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Black and benign. Still khaki foam. 3.5

Woody for a milk stout. The lactose is there, but the sweetness/tanginess is subdued. Caramel, dusty cocoa, roasted malts, and milk chocolate. A tad earthy. 4.0

Coffee shines through on this chocolatey milk stout. Alcohol way in-check for the strength. Whole lotta malts with a bite of steak char. 4.0

Smooth with a bitter middle. Clean finish and a spiked carbonation works charmingly. 4.5

Delish. Worth the visit. 4.0

thecheapies, Jul 17, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I read these reviews and just get totally lost. I don't know all the intricacies of beer, so this is no more than an "Average Joe" review.

I was lucky (smart) enough to head to Meadville for the grand opening of Voodoo Brewing Co's brewpub. This was the 3rd beer I had and by far was the highlight, not only of the day, but of all stouts I've had probably since Evil Twin's Soft Dookie.

This beer poured as dark as you can imagine a stout with a big, foamy head. Over good conversation and people watching, the head dissipated, but lasted quite a while.

The only aroma I got, that I could place, was sweet chocolate, but apparently I just don't know/can't pick lots of aromas as I read others' reviews.

Taste; what can I say. I was so glad I had this last because there could be no better finisher. Taste backed up the aroma. Sweet, creamy chocolate. I saw a gif recently that had cocoa beans flowing in a river of molten chocolate over a bed of chocolate chunk. That's the only equivalent I can think of, just chocolate madness... in a fantastic way.

I don't get the whole mouthfeel part, but this beer was perfect. Creamy chocolate goodness that was more than sippable. Definitely easy to drink in between talking/watching.

Like I said, best stout I've had in a while. I can't wait to get back and get some more Cowbell!

NABS, Jul 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Review from notes. Poured from Nitro-tap at the brand new Voodoo Brewing Company's brewpub in Meadville, PA June 30th, 2012, their grand opening night. I do not recall the price. The price did not matter that night.

A Absolutely no light can make it through the snifter full of greatness that is Cowbell. A nice 3 inch head took its time dissipating. I cannot imagine an improvement to the look. 5.0

S Great dark roast malt but a nice milky/cream sweetness is also noted in the smell. This smell certainly makes me want to drink it! 4.5

T Great balance between the dark roast malt, the sweet creamy milk taste and a kick of alcohol but really it is well eclipsed by the great tasting creamy dark roast malt. As I enjoyed this well crafted Milk stout I struggled to think of a better made version of this style. I could not. 5.0

M Smooth as silk while maintaining that great dark roast and creamy milk characteristic. Nearly perfect. 4.5

D/O Drinkability is just great. Overall this is a world class Milk Stout.

Notes: So happy to support Matt and everyone at Voodoo Brewing Company on the occasion of their Grand Opening in Meadville! Now, can you open a second brew pub in the Cleveland area?

adamette, Jul 03, 2012

salvy31, Jun 15, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured in to pint glass from a nitro tap. Took a very long time to pour, but it was worth every minute.

Jet black with a velvety smooth tan head. The head lasted until the end of the beer and it left some pretty kickass lacing.

Very roasty. Chocolate, coffee, and some toffee.

Smooth milk chocolate and roasted malt hit front. The chocolate and taste of lactose subside a bit and lets the roasted malt and coffee flavors really shine, though it is very sweet throughout. Nice bitter finish.

Full bodied and chewy. Very creamy. Slightly astringent finish.

This was one super awesome stout. Not at all what I was expecting, but it blew my expectations out of the water.

jeremy13586, Jun 04, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

It seriously takes about five minutes for the bartender to pour this into a tulip glass (Doobie's, 22nd and Lombard near Fitler Square)

A: Typical stout color, but the chocolate-colored head on top is the real attention-grabber.

S: Right behind the roasted malt there's this hint of—is that vanilla?

T: Yes, it is. Not so in-your-face; just enough to complement the bitterness. Fantastic.

M: I don't mean to overdo the confectionary analogies, but that head is like ice cream. I want to get lost in it and never come out.

D: Quite possibly the best stout I have ever had. With every glass—and I've had many—it goes from beautiful to better.

Veillantif, May 20, 2012

howard12, May 17, 2012

DamicosFriendChaz, May 07, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -6.3%

Aroma: Bready, like a grainy cereal. Bold worty raw malt, some chocolate and lactose.

Appearance: Black, opaque. Takes forever to settle (5-8 minutes). Tall light brown head seems solid, will not settle. Some lacing once the liquid level starts to drop.

Flavor: Mild lactose and milk chocolate. Mildly roasty coffee and burnt chocolate. Some mild pine hops. The aftertaste is of burnt chocolate and pine.

Mouthfeel: Full body. Slick and oily. Low carbonation.

Overall: Bold savory brew. A lot more roastiness than the typical milk stout, but it works great.

Notes: Consumed on 5/6/2012 at House of 1000 Beers.

soulfly1492, May 07, 2012

whatname, May 05, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -11.9%

On tap said this was 9% so unless it's the new ABV it might be a mistake on there part. Served at the House of 1,000 for 6 dollar (16oz pint)

A - They warned me it would take 10 minutes to pour and it did. I really got to wander who gauged the nitro since the first pour was almost a full glass of foam. After 5 fills I got 12oz of beer and 4oz of mocha colored foam. Beer appeared to be very dark black in color.

S - Very good smell I am getting some rich dark malts mostly chocolate and roast in nature, some lactic sweetness, and very little hops.

T - Kind of disappointed I do get some great balanced flavors but nothing as described in other reviews as "Malted milk ball beer" The roast about halfway almost got to the point of cloying which had me hoping it was a touch sweeter. Finish and body was pretty excellent drinking almost like water for 8.5%.

M - Medium bodied and creamy.

Overall I guess I will not be seeking this one out again. Don't get me wrong it's not bad just not as sweet as one would expect for a "milk stout" just because of it's limited availability, nitro only option (no bottles), and the low sweetness.

But who gives a f about my review right? Cheers on producing this high octane Milk stout!

Love the Big Black Voodoo Daddy!

DrDemento456, May 03, 2012

jrfehon33, Apr 29, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Had this on-tap at Varga Bar in Philly.

Appearance is near black with a short beige head to it. Its` nose contains cream, chocolate and light roasted malts. The taste is vanilla, milk, malts, some more of the chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, a very smooth texture, finishes with a sweet taste. All in all, a very nice milk stout, my first beer from Voodoo...we`re off to a good start !

mltobin, Apr 27, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -8.5%

I had this on nitro tap at Capone's. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an opaque black with a two finger tan, smooth nitro head and great retention.

Smell: Sweet chocolate with mild roast and some dark fruit notes. Not overly complex, but very nice.

Taste: Chalked full of chocolate. This is a very smooth beer. The roast is there, but not very bitter. The roast is mostly in the finish with some mild vanilla notes as well.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick with smooth carbonation and a finish that is slick and then mildly dry.

Overall: I think this one is a bit easier to drink than Choklat. Still a chocolate bomb and I'll definitely have another in the future given the chance.

oline73, Apr 25, 2012

yergermeister, Apr 18, 2012

mdillon86, Apr 14, 2012

acurtis, Apr 07, 2012

rumorsofsurf, Apr 06, 2012

frank12, Apr 06, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A black as night pour with a few fingers of thick brown head. Retention is phenomenal and the lacing is such that you can't really see through the glass where it rests. 4.5

He aromas are very focused on roasted malt coffee like flavors. My nose is also picking up some dry dark chocolate. Balanced, but average. 3.5

The taste reminds me of decadent gourmet chocolate with some roast hiding underneath. Really very focused on the dryer side of chocolate and roast, the beer doesn't boast many differing flavors. 4

Very thick creamy body with a low to normal amount of carbonation. Dry finish. I thought the drinkability was great, I couldn't stop taking sips 4.5

$3 for 6 oz, which I thought was pretty good for a Voodoo beer I had never tried and on nitro. I loved this. Thick, delicious, and tasty. If you haven't seen it, find it. 4.5

russwbeck, Apr 05, 2012