The K13 - Voodoo Brewing Company

American Barleywine |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: HoppyKilaMonster on 09-28-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.73/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

#180

A: Poured a murky brownish, a bit sluggish, a moderate tannish colored cap appears and sits atop for a while. The head retention is short lived but it does provide a small cortain of lacing.

S: Big dark fruits and bourbon on the nose. A nice sweet caramel, toffee and butterscotch candy come to mind as does a bit of vanilla and traces of chocolate and tobacco.

T: Initially the taste buds are rocked with a beautiful treat of Pappy soaked rasinis, figs and prunes. The rest of the flavor profile is a nice caramel meet toffee sweetness. A bit of vanilla and tobcco in the background provide some nice flavors and depth. The finish has just enough sting, bourbon, sweet candy and wood, nice and lingering bourbon burn with more fruit...really good!

M: While this style is not suppose to wow you with carbonation this one had a good amount, just right for the style. Not super flat and heavy feeling but a light/medium, not overly sticky sweet or heavy like a BA Monster 29. Really decadent, layers of creaminess and flavors coat the mouth.

O: I would have to agree with the review below. This beer is King Henry good. Eventhough we gave up arm and leg for it I would say it was worth it considering the flavors and bottle limits. (1,240 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Huge thanks to Ray for opening this one at our tasting. Served into a tulip glass.

A: Murky brown body with a small tiny head, tan in color. Settled really quickly into a very thin ring around the edges.

S: Very fruity at first, plenty of malt complementing it too. Then of course is the bourbon (Pappy) barrel qualities that are oozing out of this. Vanilla, sweet toffee, bourbon, oak and caramel.

T: Rich and sweet up-front, the dark fruits and barrel hit first and blend well. Vanilla, oak, toffee and more malts. The finish on this is absolutely killer. Smooth and sweet bourbon lingering on the tongue and palate.

M: Nicely carbonated but I didn't think it was overdone at all. This also drinks amazingly well for being a 13% beer. No alcohol heat throughout the drink which made this pleasant.

Between this and King Henry is close for me. These both exhibit the amazing things you can do with a big rich Barleywine when you throw it in some quality barrels. Crazy good stuff, very glad I was able to try this one! (1,024 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On-tap at the Voodoo Barrel Collection release, served in a snifter.

A- Pours a murky brownish color, thin khaki head that settles to a collar.

S- Really amazing bourbon aroma, as well as oak, vanilla and sweeter notes of caramel and dark fruit.

T- Similar to the aroma with some really incredible barrel flavors, great bourbon, vanilla and more caramel and fruit. The barrel flavors here are great but the base beer is top notch too, the malt flavors are nicely layered and complex.

M- Full-bodied, low-ish smooth carbonation, has a nice amount of warmth but is maybe slightly hot at the moment, although for me this wasn't much of an issue.

O- A really, really awesome barleywine. I'll probably drink my bottle of this relatively soon, it's still got a bit more heat than I would like but all of the other flavors in this beer, especially the Pappy barrel flavors, are just amazing right now. (899 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - It was a cloudy brownish color, which is why I knocked it down. The head was pretty impressive for a BA 13% beer, though, so overall it was above average.

S - The main thing I got from it was the pappy. Every time I'm lucky enough to try a pappy BA beer, it just has the smoothest bourbon notes I could imagine. Luckily, the base beer stacks up very well to the barrel, also. It's fairly fruity, lots of caramel. Only knock is that the aroma wasn't jumping out at me.

T - The taste had no such issue. I was bombarded with the same flavors as the nose. For 13%, this thing hid the alcohol quite well. Just got a lot of sweet caramel fruitiness, and that pappy is there again. Such a smooth finish with a minimal alcohol presence.

M - It wasn't as thick as I'd expect, but it didn't really bother me. The drinkability was improved for me because of this. It had enough of a body, but I was expecting a pretty full mouthfeel going in. The carbonation was spot on as well. Low-mid, perfect for a BA barleywine.

O - Phenomenal stuff. Voodoo is really killing it with their barrel program. The pappy Black Magick and this are just at the top of the BA stout and barleywine categories for me. The only barleywine I can think of I might've preferred is King Henry, but it's because I really enjoyed the stout characteristics because the barrels had held Rare. I wish I didn't have to drive or I would've sat there drinking it til it kicked or I did. (1,449 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Had on tap at the 9.28 Voodoo barrel room release.

A- This had a slightly murky brown color. Not the most appealing color, but not too off putting either.

S- Pappy! And lots of it.

T- Once again, a lot of pappy in the taste. Great bourbon notes, with no burn at all in the finish. Great overall taste.

M- This is the only area that I felt needed some improvement. It could use a little more malt in the base to ' thicken' up the brew.

O- Top notch beer. On my list of top 3 barleywines I have had. (503 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last