Urthel Samaranth - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SamaranthUrthel Samaranth

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-06-2004

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Dark-honey with a minimal lace.

S: Lots of smells from this one but apricot and malt dominates everything.

T: Yummy... A very fruity first taste but also brown sugar, apricot, bread and raisin. Also a bit of alcohol.

M: Very smooth mouthfeel with almost no carbonation and a long and quite
dry aftertaste.Varms you up quite a bit.

Wow, this was the second time in 5 years i had the pleasure to sample this brew. For a quadruppel it is very drinkable and perfect for sipping late
at night.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours slightly hazy, funky amber tinged brown with a two finger head that fades slowly to a thick cap. As the head settles it leaves behind a thin webbing that only sticks to the glass for a few seconds.

Smell; tons of dark fruits and sweet caramel and brown sugar malts. There's a slightly dusty yeasty presence, as well as some spices.

Taste; there's a big hit of alcohol and sugar at first. Some dark fruits, with plums and raisins come out, along with some caramel and brown sugar, but the alcohol and overly sweet sugar never really fade. Between the alcohol presence and the overwhelming sweetness, this has to be my least favorite quad to date.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy/sticky, and the drinkability is only so-so.

2.73/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Pours a semi-hazy amber body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Light, toasted maltiness with white grapes, a mold-smelling yeast character, and light sherry notes.

Taste: Moderately sweet, with bready malts and a distinctive, yet peculiar mélange of fruits: white grapes, quinces, and pineapple. Some slight bitterness in the sharp finish.

Mouthfeel: Straddles the fence between medium and full-bodied. Low carbonation. Slight alcohol warmth.

Drinkability: I can't properly explain it, but this bizarre beer saddens me.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Draught. Red-Orange. Aroma of sherry, caramel, salty almonds, raisins, prunes, Belgian malts, citrus hops and big, big, alcohol. Tastes of big, caramel-like Belgian malts, toffee, sugars, fruits (prunes, raisins, plums), coconut and pineapple. Well hidden alcohol. An enjoyable beer and this pounds very well. It’s like drinking water.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

02CF is the date code, whatever that means?? Decanted into an orval glass

Pours an effervescent orange/amber with 2 fingers of fluffed up/pudding skin-type white head.

S: Slight caramel & booze notes that fades once this warms up

T: Caramel, oaky dryness & some boozey warming up front. Toffee & maple syrup follows as this warms. Herbal; leafy hop presence as well shows up. Cakeyness, vanilla, & more oakyness follows. A faint peatty smokeyness, brown sugar, jammy apricot & pear + booze notes in the finish. Got better as it warmed

MF: Slick with low carbonation & some wetness

Drinks a little slow, due to dryness& little too much booze profile. But not for 12%. Not my favorite quad, but reccomended none the less. This brewery has yet to dissapoint me

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

04/01/07- Purchased at Booze Bros. in Reno, NV.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both caged and corked. Date is stamped on the cork. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Fairly light and hazy peach-orange color. Soft and creamy looking 1/2 inch head. Lacing is light and spotty.

Smell- Light sugary fruity notes. Not really the heavy dark ones like dates, prunes and raisins, but the lighter ones like oranges, cherries and lemons. Seems as if there is a darker malt buried beneath.

Taste- Sweet, mild and fruity to describe it briefly. Seems like some orange liquor and some wild berry notes backed up with a light hopped sensation. Very very light alcohol noticed.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, almost velvety smooth with a lower carbonation rate. Adds a nice warmth.

Drinkability- I do not see 11.5% in this brew. I would have guessed it for a very flavorful Dubbel of around 8%. Exceptionaly easy drinker for a quad and very tasty as well.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

I am not a beer fan in general, but I LOVE Belgian ales. In fact, I have yet to have one that I don't like. I recently had the Urthel Samaranth at Richo's Pub House (aka New Albanian Brewing Company) during their Gravity Head shindig. I have to say it is easily in my top 3 of this style, Chimay Grand Reserve and Delirium Tremens being the other 2. I was served in the appropriate Urthel glassware and it was very pretty too look at, and it smelled wonderful. It was very sweet and very strong. I'm not an expert at picking out flavors and such like some people on here, but I know that I am definitely going to be looking for it anywhere and everywhere that sells beer.

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

750 ml bottle corked and caged.
Smudged date code on the back of the bottle.

Clear dark golden, steady carbonation

The latte foam like head recedes slowly and delicate lace patterns trace it’s path down the glass.

Initial aroma is ripe fruits and yeast, later some caramel and light brown sugar emerge with maybe a little bubblegum esters.

Flavor is ripe fruit, (mango, banana) with a slightly sugary sweetness that is balanced by a nice refreshing bitter finish.

Creamy mouth feel. Alcohol is deceptively hidden.

I got this bottle for just over $4, a steal IMHO, if it wasn’t mispriced I’m going back for the lot of them.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard, the head brewer of Urthel. This is the one Urthel creation that I have yet to try and I'm honored to taste it in a glass provided by the brewing Goddess herself.

Poured clear gold with a medium, silky white head. The creamy head retained throughout, leaving sticky lacings on the walls of my glass. This is rather light for a quad!!!

Cherries, muscat and currants dominate the estery aroma. The sweet fruitiness is tempered by a big malt presence and a doughy, funky yeast quality.

Cherries, unripe plum, grainy pear and golden raisins mingle with sweet candied sugar to create a memorable first sip. A big malt character adds some balance to this delightful brew. Caramel, molasses, vanilla and chocolate flavors are also present, along with an earthy yeast quality. A sublte hop bitterness can be perceived in the finish. The flavors are smooth, balanced and complex while the high ABV is barely noticeable.

The ample carbonation creates a pleasing, light, fizzy mouthfeel.

You can tell from the first appearance that this is not your ordinary quad. Urthel continues to impress with solid brews that push the boundaries of existing styles.

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a dark orange-reddish color with a large off-white head, low retention.

Aroma: plum, cherry, alcohol, tart, pepper, bubblegum, musty, caramel..very complex

Taste: Lots of fruitiness with a significant tang and then brown-sugar sweetness with a hint of hop flavor, alcohol makes itself known at this time. Finishes slick and sweet on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: full body, high carbonation. Warming down the throat.

Drinkability: Scarily good for 11.5%.

Another outstanding Belgian from what is fast becoming my favorite Belgian brewery.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark honey-gold and cloudy. Flavor is rich and smooth with fruity hints and just a whisper of bitterness. The texture is smooth, but it has a nice bite that reminds you this is a strong ale. One of the best beers I have ever tried, worth seeking out.

4.56/5  rDev +12.9%

750ml bottle, two year old bottle pulled from the cellar

Appearence, strange, a dirty golden color, very odd for a Quad.

Smell, very fruity, sweet, I would swear this was a Tripel, if I didn't open the bottle myself.

Taste, more of the same confusion, very sweet, very fruity, taste is really in line with a Tripel. Very smooth, I can't taste the ABV, but maybe the two years in the cellar took care of that, I'm not sure as I have not had this brew fresh. Regardless, this is a fantastic brew, very smooth, and since I love Tripels, l loved this Quad, if only because it copied my favorite Belgium style.

I'm sure this one is great fresh, but two years really added some smoothness, I'm buying some more of this first chance I get.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into an Urthel chalice, and produced a dark reddish brown with a tan dense head. Good lacing. It is very rich in apple and sugar smells, with other fruit as well. Very hearty and strong. The apple qualities prevail in the taste with a nice sweetness and strong alcohol start and a good hoppy finish. Very smooth and very drinkable despite the ABV

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Served into a mini Chimay goblet at Lucky Baldwin's.

Interesting quad. For one, it's a dirty blonde color. I didn't even realize it was a quad until looking it up online here. Taste is pretty intense - definitely on the sweeter side. Got some toffee, some bananas - kind of tropical fruit sort of flavors. Mouthfeel is nice and full, even a bit syrupy, but in that satisfying, dessert beer sort of way. Drinkability remains good for this sort of beer - you won't be sessioning this, but it's easy enough to drink a glass of.

There are better quads out there, but this is still a great one. Recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

I had the pleasure of being introduced to the brewer of Urthel and her beer at Toronado in San Francisco a month ago. Ever since then, I've been trying to get my hands on (no, not her although Hildegard is a sight for sore eyes) her Hop It creation, but I have yet to find a store in my area that carries it in the 1 plus pint bottle. While my search continues for that precious gem, I came across this accomplishment and what an accomplishment it is. This quad with the funny name was popped from a corked bottle and instantly got me pumped to experience its flavor. Lots of fruit, particularly strawberries and sweet fruit in general, but not in an overpowering way. And this is not to suggest this headed into lambic country...quite the opposite. It pours into my Duvel tulip glass with a deep copper color and a white head that settles quite nicely. Lace draped the glass throughout the entire experience. A very abundant aroma, again strawberries and sweet fruit gushed from my deep glass. And lots of candied sugar in the aroma too, which introduced itself in the initial taste. Again, not overpowering, but the sweetness balances so perfectly with the slightly boozy finish and the silky smooth mouthfeel. I think "balanced" best describes this quad. It's sweet pleasant flavor makes this a highly drinkable treat, in fact one of the best I've ever had. Although there is some alcohol in the finish and at 11.5% abv, it's a whopper of a brew which will give you a nice buzz, the alcohol is quite subtle. Drink it with a roaring fire in the hearth and a block of room temperature Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese. It simply doesn't get much better than that.

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

From a 750ml corked, caged bottle. As God, or at least his workers, intended. Pours an energetic cloudy brownish-orange with a medium density rocky head. Much lighter than I expected for a quadrupel, which is I assume the style based on the description "quadrium ale". OK, so also I cheated by reading the style listed here, but let's not nitpick. Smells of caramel, bubblegum, sour oranges and a hint of something oaky. Also not what I expected of the style but nothing I don't like yet. Taste? I think I'm doing the dog getting scratched in the right place leg twitch. Oranges, cocoa, lemons, a dry finish that just brings the malty start to a perfect balance. The mouthfeel is silky and oily, not really chewy at all. Again, surprises me for its style. Drinkability probably goes without saying given the review so far. No real alcohol burn a bit of warmth, so no problems there. The balanced flavor will make this whole bottle go down rather easily. In short, find this one...and fast!

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

This being my 300th beer review, I thought I would do something a little special: I consider Quads pretty special. Dispensed from an 11.2oz (33cl?) into a McChouffe snifter. Ruby brown colored beverage featuring a very tight, caramel colored head. Nice lacing as well.

Aromas are apples and sweet candi sugar. That Belgian yeast aroma is quite deep as well. Sweet green pears, vinous green grapes, and a bit of deep earthiness.

Nice flavor profile with the candi leading the way and followed by golden delicious apples with a yeasty and dry finish. Nice and crisp and stifly carbonated. Medium bodied with alcohol evident as the beer warms. The alcohol adds more fruitiness and flavors to the beer and enhances the overall flavor.

A nice quad. Seems like a nice beer to be drinking on this Super sunday, as the Colts repeatedly punt and turn the ball over.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a cloudy peachish amber color with a one finger puffy white head. Bubbles make there way to the top. Excellent retention with amazing coating lace.
S: Pears, apples, orange peel, lemon zest, cherries, raisins, citrus fruit, peaches. Very complex with many many aromas all coupling together. Slight spicy characteristic to the fruit notes.
T/M: Peach, pear, and apples. Bready yeast with spices. Spritzy carbonation zing. Soft and smooth on the palate with a slight chalky finish, though it doesn't take away from the flavors. Medium bodied. Sweet fruit and earthy notes.
D: Very drinkable and quite enjoyable. Extremely coating on the palate. High abv isn't noticeable.

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

an interesting beer. pours a wheaten straw color. i kind of expected something a little darker, this being a quad. the nose is kind of absent. slight fruit notes, slight alcohol. not real exciting. the taste on the other hand is much better. the malt is a little subdued but the fruit is right up front. overall really well balanced, nothing to write home about though. this beer did have incredible lacing. not bad, but at 12% the lines of good and ba

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Shared this beer with Stopper. Sample is a corked and caged 750.

Poured at cellar temp into a snifter the beer is slightly hazy amber color with frothy bleached white head of 2 cm.
Aroma is fruity with berries and pear coming through.
First sip reveals an average body and lighter than expected texture. Carbonation is very soft and mild.
Flavor is also surprisingly mild overall with some grainy malt and light fruit. this time white grape primarily dominates the fruit mix.
I also get a bit of booze but not enough to suspect the 11.5%. This is a very drinkable beer, but a little mild for a quad. I was a little disappointed.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. This beer pours a somewhat cloudy copper color with a nice head about a finger and a half thick before settling to about half a finger thick. Excellent lacing. Pleasant aromas of malt are present along with some fruit such as cherry and orange, and also some spices. Sweet flavors of malt and spice are present along with the aforementioned fruit. The flavor of bread/yeast is also present. Really a kick ass taste indeed. Has a crisp, yet creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Light to medium carbonation. This tasty beer is also quite easy to drink. A very good quad indeed!

Eric

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into my pilaarbijter glass.

A - two fingers of head atop the moderately cloudy reddish-orange ale S - dried apricots and malt; the alcohol does singe the hairs a bit, but overall light and pleasant T - starts off sour citrus but moves quickly to rich hops and alcohol. I enjoy lingering alcohol fumes and this perfectly satisfied that need M - thick and moderately carbonated; I despise over-carbonated ales so I'm happy D - If you like standing, any more than 4 of these will make leaving the couch difficult. I have six and imagine only having 2 or 3 before I move to something else....just finished my second and I'm enjoying it even more. I won't change my scores, but I'm really enjoying the citrus notes on the palate.

Overall, it will be a good experience if you're not turned off by a fruit influence on a strong Belgian Quad. The malt is not completely lost on this one, but it is far from a focus. Certainly worth a go.

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a corked caged bottle into goblet.

Clear golden straw color, unusaul for the quads I've had so far.

Faint smell of hay and cherries (A slight mark down here as I love the smell of quads and consider it a mark of a great quad, this is just a bit weaker in the nose)

Taste of cherries with a bit of nice bitterness at the end. This has got the quadruple mojo I love so well.

I look forward to trying more of their product as their whole line is available here.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a hazy, dark copper color with a small off-white head. Lots of lacing throughout.

Aroma is heavy with yeast, spices, sweet citrus, flowers, and melon.

Flavor is slightly boozy, but nothing like the percentage it claims. The rest of the flavors match the aroma quite well. The sweetness is well balanced with strong fruit flavors, bread and spices. A much better balanced quad than a few others I’ve had lately.

Mouthful is medium bodied with a hint of syrupy texture that is overlookable. Very smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability is great for this big beer. For me there are 3 main pitfalls with these styles: Too much sweetness, too heavy, and too boozy. And yet, for as much fruit, florals, and booze this beer has, it came out great & well balanced. Urthel makes the only tripel I like, too!
Excellent beer.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with Brs. Dinaburg and McHugh.

The pour into my Chimay chalice raises a lasting two finger head that falls slowly. It's very creamy, and colored very light tan. The beer is barely translucent, and has very visible carbonation streaming from the center of the glass. The body has a murky brown color, but with an odd internal glow, perhaps due to odd light diffusion. The lacing is certainly resilient. There are some ruby highlights, as well. The nose is yeasty, darkly fruity, raisiny, caramel, and has hints of coffee. The taste is very sweet throughout, with many of the above characteristics joining in, plus a lovely cinnamon flavor. The alcohol is hidden very well, and only shows itself when the sips are too closely spaced. Perhaps it adds a bit of a peppery taste, too. The mouth is definitely on the thick side, with very tingly carbonation. Definitely the best quad I've gotten to thus far.

Urthel Samaranth from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)