1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Urthel Samaranth - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SamaranthUrthel Samaranth

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-06-2004)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Ratings: 451 | Reviews: 314 | Show All Ratings:
MShirokov

3.64/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad. The main thing this beer had going for it was a distinctly "nutty" aftertaste, which I found interesting. Other than that it kinda tastes like "normal beer" which isn't bad at all, but I was expecting a much more complicated flavor from a "quadrupel."

04-07-2013 15:05:00 | More by MShirokov
Vladimiriuz

Netherlands

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite foamy head but disseapering quite quickly. Good autumn dark brown colour. With some little bubbles dancing in my glass.

The smell is warm, syrup, sugar and caramel. Also I get some milk chocolate as well. a Bit alcohol.

The taste is wonderful. Warm, silky and smooth. a Little bit strong but also quite good drinkable. a Palate of fine sugars, roasted barley and warm slighty alcohol.

Good beer for the cold winter days....

09-24-2013 13:21:58 | More by Vladimiriuz
kmudrick

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap, poured into a Three Philosophers Snifter. Initial 2-finger thick head that very slowly dissolves into a web of fragmented lacing throughout the sides of the glass. The hue was thin and golden and a little more transparent than you'd expect for this style. Initial nose hints at a a subtly candied banana flavoring with a a haze of alcohol. The first swig reveals a dry and slightly bitter taste, offering a spicy tickle on my tongue. The feel is initially vibrant and complex with a splash of sour banana jumping out. That complexity, however, fades pretty quickly with each sip. After finishing, I was left with a subtle burn in the back of my throat. Overall, a pleasant experience - something I'd definitely order again, but with the high alcohol that starts to kick in as the glass empties, I'd probably drink no more than 1 of these in a single sitting.

09-10-2006 22:30:48 | More by kmudrick
BeerGod27

South Carolina

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a caramel red color.
Figs, rasins and grapes are on the nose. Slight nutty and grassy smells are detectable too.
Taste is smooth but complex as you would expect from a quad. Raisin is the most detectable taste but apple (for some reason) and molasses are present too. Finishes somewhat sticky with a bready aftertaste.
Not the best quad I've had but very respectable.

12-12-2013 16:48:07 | More by BeerGod27
skylab

Louisiana

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

I know the numbers may not exactly add up here but hear me out.

Poured out of a 12oz bottle, that was more long-necked than the picture provided, into a generic pint glass. Bottle may or may not matter. I am not knowledgeable enough to know.

Smells a bit sweet but pours a nice amber with at least an appreciable head. First sip is warm with alcohol which is a surprise. I thought this would be a higher ABV brew because of that but it still mellows quickly to a cane syrupy and fruity middle. It then drifts to a sort of glossy damn-it's-all-gone-should-have-bought-more finish.

I like it. Not a session beer, but not meant to be. Very nice.

07-13-2011 02:11:21 | More by skylab
liammaloney

Rhode Island

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

A dark golden beer, a touch cloudy, with a thin head on a dark winter night with a thin dusting of snow. Smelled like sour fruit (the good kind). The head dissipated by the time I took my first sip, but the remainder left some nice lacing on the glass.

I had a sip and had a tiny "wow!" moment with myself. The opening taste was very malty, fruity, and sour, right in the front o my mouth. That was nice, familiar. The finish is what got me, however. It was very dry, and pretty bitter, with a long hot burning finish that ended with an unfortunate medicinal flavor, rather like cough syrup. Actually, cherry cough syrup.

Overall a nice and warming pint, but the finish had me drinking a glass of water and ordering something else new.

02-29-2008 04:43:02 | More by liammaloney
lilbug09

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

22 bomber to Duvel tulip

It poured a copper amber color with a cream colored bubbly head. Definite lacing on the glass. The smell was very malty, what you would expect from a quad. it is a full bodied beer and over takes your mouth. The carmel and banana are typical and overpowering. It is a good belgium beer and a true example of a quadruple - high abv and high sweetness.

04-25-2009 23:47:58 | More by lilbug09
DJoe

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had the Urthel Samaranth Quadrum Ale from a bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance was smooth: chocolate brown, with a 1.5 finger head

Aroma was great. Mixture of chocolately sweetness and alcohol.

Mouthfeel was spiked a bit by the high alcohol content

Taste: definitely a sipper. Strong alcohol is notable but not overwheliming. Some obviously hints of chocolate and caramel. Well balanced.

03-24-2013 02:36:06 | More by DJoe
ortsacul

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into my pilaarbijter glass.

A - two fingers of head atop the moderately cloudy reddish-orange ale S - dried apricots and malt; the alcohol does singe the hairs a bit, but overall light and pleasant T - starts off sour citrus but moves quickly to rich hops and alcohol. I enjoy lingering alcohol fumes and this perfectly satisfied that need M - thick and moderately carbonated; I despise over-carbonated ales so I'm happy D - If you like standing, any more than 4 of these will make leaving the couch difficult. I have six and imagine only having 2 or 3 before I move to something else....just finished my second and I'm enjoying it even more. I won't change my scores, but I'm really enjoying the citrus notes on the palate.

Overall, it will be a good experience if you're not turned off by a fruit influence on a strong Belgian Quad. The malt is not completely lost on this one, but it is far from a focus. Certainly worth a go.

12-25-2006 02:28:15 | More by ortsacul
willer

Brazil

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance - Dark golden color with a persistent light tan head.

Smell - Complex blend of ripe fruits, rich malt and lightly toast.

Taste - Rich sweetness flavors (fruits and malt) with the alcohol well hiden.

Mouthfeel - Full, smooth and a well balanced alcohol warmth.

Drinkability - Very nice for a beer with high alcohol.

04-04-2008 17:56:46 | More by willer
ricodewey

Delaware

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Weighing in at an 11.5% abv, this quadrupel goes down rather nicely. The appearance is cloudy with a slight head and the smell is subtle with a hint of sour fruits (plums?)
The taste is truly nice with hints of alcohol and fruits permeating the mouth. Most beers of this strength can be a slow drink but Urthel has created a very drinkable quadrupel. It is a beer that can be drank in quantity since the alcohol is there but not as strong as many beers of this caliber. I highly recommend.

03-28-2006 02:13:49 | More by ricodewey
Limenitis

There is a reason this beer is one of the top rated Quads. It is unbelievable. The head is foamy and a full opaque color that takes minutes, not seconds, to dissipate. The taste is crisp, full, and sweet. Truly, this is what I expect to pay a little more for when I purchase a beer from Belgium. Fantastic beer. You should at least try it once.

04-18-2009 20:28:06 | More by Limenitis
spencerberus

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

I've been wanting to try this for a long time, but there was always something else more urgent, some seasonal or anniversary or limited edition brew that couldn't wait, while I knew this wasn't going anywhere. I also remember thinking it was quite expensive, I thought it was around $15 for a 750mL bottle, so I was pleasantly surprised to see they had it for $10.49.

Now I regret waiting, this is an amazing beer with a very rich, complex taste and aroma that, for me, puts to shame most of the beers I passed this up for in the past. Thick, somewhat heavy, and sweet, tastes of dark berries and dates, plus quite a bit more but unfortunately I didn't take notes while drinking so I'm working off memory. There are other reviews here with excellent details of the aroma & taste though. If you enjoy wines, the complexity & richness of the tastes reminded me of the first time I had Jarvis Cabernet Sauvignon, but at about 1/10th the price. High alcohol content (my bottle says 11%, not the 12% listed here) that's very well balanced with the multitude of other flavors.

02-18-2009 05:18:38 | More by spencerberus
HorseFly

Kentucky

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

I am not a beer fan in general, but I LOVE Belgian ales. In fact, I have yet to have one that I don't like. I recently had the Urthel Samaranth at Richo's Pub House (aka New Albanian Brewing Company) during their Gravity Head shindig. I have to say it is easily in my top 3 of this style, Chimay Grand Reserve and Delirium Tremens being the other 2. I was served in the appropriate Urthel glassware and it was very pretty too look at, and it smelled wonderful. It was very sweet and very strong. I'm not an expert at picking out flavors and such like some people on here, but I know that I am definitely going to be looking for it anywhere and everywhere that sells beer.

03-21-2007 20:43:25 | More by HorseFly
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Urthel Samaranth from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)