Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Urthel Samaranth - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SamaranthUrthel Samaranth

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-06-2004

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap into tasting glass.

A: Deep amber with creamy head. Decent lacing.

S: Strawberry, wine. Dark toasted malts. Smokey at end.

T: Deep fruity malts. Red jammy fruits -- strawberry with sugar. Caramel, slightly milky.

M: Creamy, velvety smoth. Low attenuation, carbonation low but spicy. Perfect but slooow sipping. No session beer.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into an Urthel chalice, and produced a dark reddish brown with a tan dense head. Good lacing. It is very rich in apple and sugar smells, with other fruit as well. Very hearty and strong. The apple qualities prevail in the taste with a nice sweetness and strong alcohol start and a good hoppy finish. Very smooth and very drinkable despite the ABV

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%

After days of IPA's it's time for a change and even though it's 103 outside it's cool enough inside for something new and dark. I've seen this described as a quad and a barleywine and since I like both styles, why not.

Into the Maudite tulip it goes. this is a beautiful opaque red-amber with a puffy, slightly off white head. It smells like a quad with bready and dark fruits coming forward. It may be a little cold but then I've been advised to enjoy this one on the cool side to control the 11% ABV.

The first tase is great! Spices like cinnamon and cloves with dark summer fruits mixed in. The alcohol is present but still subtle. This is one complex beer! Now the caramel is emerging. Lots of flavors jumping around the palate surrounded by a very smooth and soft mouthfeel. It's warming a bit now and the dark fruits and spices are really coming into their own with a nice alcohol burn at the back and more malty caramel. I'm going to call it a quad and a very good one at that. This would be fantastic with something sharp that would really turn the flavors loose like a brandy blue cheese ball.
I'm going to be seeing a lot of this beer this winter. It's very drinkable but with the high ABV and big bottle I was glad for a little help.

Is it a quadrupel or is it a barleywine? Who cares. It is big, bold and wondrful. It is one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. Definitely world class! If you like big, bold, dark beers, don't miss this one.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Just a little note, my bottle say ABV is 11.5%

I poured this beauty into a chalice. This in a very clear brew. A slight head forms the dissipates leaving a light lacing that hangs around until the last sip.

The color is is pure see through red.

The aroma is rich and inviting with hints of alcohol, brown sugar and malt.

The first sip takes you back a bit. My guess is the alcohol content, but there is no bite. There is little carbonation on the tongue and a very milt hoppiness in the finish.

This is a fine drinkable beer. I only ordered 2, but will up that for the cellar.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

This was one of the first Belgian ales I ever tried, and definitely the first quad, but that was in 2006; I drank more of it last night, so here's a review:

A - light brown color, whitish-cream head

S - astringent, dried fruit, coffee

T - Predominant coffee-like flavors, alcohol, vanilla, prunes, brown sugar

M - velvety, boozy, slightly dry, leaves a nice coating on the tongue

D - very strong ale, I recommend sharing with a friend

I really like this selection, and like Chimay, another one of my favorites, I often overlook it because I'm always on that quest for the perfect ale, but I should opt for it more often. Definitely my favorite Urthel.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

750 corked and caged bottle poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice. No freshness date on bottle (although there is a 15:10 where dates normally are, so who knows) Alcohol 11% by volume in the bottom right corner.

This is a quad? Really? Real nice ruby red body(they weren't lying when they dutch with a flemish touch- it looks like the classic sour ales) with some awesome dense white head that is pretty slow to fade away, and when it finally does it leaves a thick ring of lacing. If I didn't know this was a quad, that would be my fifth or sixth guess if this beer was put in front of me and I was told to guess what it was; still, an awesome looking beer, no matter the style.

First, the smell is noticeable from a distance (about half an arms length); smells of a Flemish sour from afar. Up close it smells different, but equally fantastic. The main smell is I will be completely honest, the smell of a fresh grannysmith apple that you have just bit into, the smell of the flesh oozing juices. Absolutely fantastic. There are also some dark fruits that are part of the quadrupel experience, some dates and figs, plus some clean grape smell (purple not green grapes) and a little hint of flemish sour ale. Wow, great smelling beer, again though, not the traditional quad.

It tastes like a quad, but at the same time, again there is that component of a flemish sour ale. The major taste is plums and dates, and it is a flavor sensation that absolutely explodes on the mid palate. The front third of the beer is a noticeable build up, but somewhere around the mid-palate the flavor just absolutely explodes and there is no denying that you are drinking a quad. The finish is lacking- the flemish components come into play a little too hard and a little too noticeable. There are periods of unpleasantness, where it is sour but not the refreshing sour, just sour kind of vinegar-sour. It's not refreshing though. There is some kind of trace elements of cherries and plums, but to be honest it's a lot of just bad sour that is a little discouraging since the beer starts sooo well but finishes almost equally bad. It's very two faced and the flemish influence finally off-sets the delicate balance that this beer had going for a long time. Really disappointing too.

There is some mouthfeel to this one. There's a harsh spot of carbonation that precedes the huge plum/date explosion of flavor on the mid-palate; in a way it kind of destroys every flavor (it's mildly uncomfortable) and maybe that is why the flavor is so intense- either way, it's a little bit much. It's a pretty smooth drinking beer other than that- if anything it is a little thin on the body, definitely not a traditional quad-like body.

This beer is a pretty significant let down for me- I just kept building it up, and getting more excited for it, and to finally have it is a little disappointing. First, I saw that it was a Quad (awesome) made by Urthel (pretty awesome) from Holland (not Belgium, but a small Euro nation- almost down right awesome) and it has a touch of flemish in it (i love flemish ale's- my favorite beer ever. If I had to pick a beer to drink for the rest of my life, it very well might be magnum's of Rodenbach Grand Cru) anyways, so waiting to open this beer was tough enough. Then i poured it (it doesn't look like a normal quad- awesome) and smelled it (oh my god that's awesome) and had that first sip (the plum explosion on the mid-palate is like nothing I've ever had before!!!)

...and then I kept drinking it. And I realized that the sourness became the major element. Only that the Flemish touch was the sour part of Flemish, not the entire flemish style (read- none of that sweet, refreshing, good part); and all of a sudden a beer I thought might very well becoming one of my favorites of all time became a beer that was interesting, but one that I don't think I could see myself drinking at a significant frequency (<1 /year) It was pretty close. Although it does smooth out as it warms, it's not enough.

It is pretty drinkable for a quad, do not get me wrong; as compared to a more traditional quad (or even a non-traditional one, like the Ommegang Three Philosopher's that I had on Sunday so it's the most fresh-in-my-mind-quad-experience) it is a lot smoother, a lot crisper, a lot easier to drink. The alcohol is there, so if you're drinking a 750 by yourself you'll be feeling it a little before you finish it. But it is a lot easier to drink then a lot of quad's that there are. However, what is interesting about this beer is that I can't foresee a lot, if any, people falling in love with this beer. It's a little tart for quad lovers, a little too dry-sour for flemish sour lovers; I can imagine people who love Geuze's might find this acceptable, but that's a really low in alcohol style, so the alcohol might get to them. It's a tough beer- there are so many things to like about it, but there isn't anything to love about it: dammit.

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

Ruby colour, small white head. Aroma is not good at all, smells like chemical solvents and that ruins it. Apart from that i find Burnt sugar and dark fruit in the aroma, maybe with a hint of honey. Flavour is better than the aroma lets on, but it is overwhelmingly sweet to an extent that it takes over all the other flavours, with that said I do find some nice notes of dark fruit, honey and port that makes this beer interesting enough to get a rather good mark for flavour. Palate is ordinary for the style.

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Smell: dark chocolate with heavy malts and butter carry thoroughgoing one's olfactory senses

Taste: very heavy dark fruits--ripened plums specifically--with powdered sugar, malty hints throughout, and a warm bourbon spice carries during the duration of this beers life in your mouth

PAIR with a funnel cake and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, or with a pretentious hamburger

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Great head and lacing. Dark amber. Light for a quad.
Smell: Wow! Caramel. Spices. Ripe fruits.
Taste: Very good. Sweet. Complex. Alcohol not very evident. Lovely.
Mouthfeel: Very good. Surprising light for a quad.
Drinkability: Where did it go? Very light.
Great beer.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Urthel Samaranth is definitely a quadrupel ale. The color is a dark amber and is opaque. It has a scent that I can't place. Not bad. Just different. The flavor is very similar. There is a destinct malty flavor and you can taste the alcohol. But, there is something else that I can't quite put my finger on. There is a fair amount of carbonation. The combination of the malt and carbonation give the beer a good feel. Overall, it is a decent beer. It is very strong in both alcohol (11%) and malt flavoring. Not something that you are going to drink several of. Just a nice beer to sip and enjoy. Cheer!

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not bad. The main thing this beer had going for it was a distinctly "nutty" aftertaste, which I found interesting. Other than that it kinda tastes like "normal beer" which isn't bad at all, but I was expecting a much more complicated flavor from a "quadrupel."

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

I poured this into a Mad Elf chalice. There was a burst of foamy bubbles, layed on thick, but they disappeared into a ring of medium sized whitish bubbles with a constant spring of bubbles rising from the depths. It was a distinctive color - sort of amber/orange/purple, hazy, very lightly colored for a quad.

It smelled like black cherries dipped in caramel with brown sugar sprinkled on top. Some dull sweet spiciness in the background.

Up front, it is very fruity and sweet - cherries and Kool Aid then a warming and mild alcohol flavor creeps in. It is not hidden, but it works well. There is a slightly numbing hop finish and your mouth goes a bit dry.

Slightly above average body, a wee bit chewy, but somewhat light for a quad. Also, it became undercarbonated as I drank the beer which was not bad, but I would have preferred more fizz.

It went down OK, but the sweetness could deter drinking too much of this.

Overall - I would drink this again, but this is so different than other quads that I have had it does not seem to fit in the category. If you like Troegs Mad Elf, give it a try.

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. Medium aggressive pour.

Medium aggressive pour produces a light, light red head which dissipates quickly leaving an intricate, but thin lace behind. The beer is almost perfectly amber-red.

The smell is light and sweet, like an alcoholic honeysuckle. There is a secondary aroma of flowery hops, and finally aroma of... Beer! Yeah, beer.

The beer tasted like it smells-- flowery hops, sticky/sweet, beery. Yeah. Not everyone will enjoy it, and I won't enjoy it everytime, but it is better than average, especially for the price!

The beer produced a thin carbonated feel in the mouth, but it was perfectly matched to the taste.

This beer, even with the high abv is highly drinkable. That is one of the hgh points. Taste vs. Drinkablility v. Price is amazing. Have one. Give it a try.

Appearance- Orange, honey, golden with a decent head. about 1& 1/2 fingers.
Smell- Pepper, Hops, yeast. .
Taste- Fruit, alcohol malt. Decent alcohol at then end, kinda sweet.
Mouthfeel- Because of the alcohol, it has a warm pepper mouthfeel
I was well into the evening when this was poured as I had a Piraat Triple, Chimay Grand Reserve, Dead Guy Ale, and something else that escapes me. Needless to say I was a little messed up.
However, I do remember enjoying this! Good example of a Quad and I will by this again.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

I purchased this at the Charleston Beer Exchange.

First of all, I opened this after a long day of work in the sun.

Served in a Tulip glass, it had a 2 inch head with a yeasty smell.

The mouthfeel is smooth with an appropriate level of carbonation. Fruity tones - excellent depth and warmth. High level of yeast, if you like it. Taste is overall excellent.

Extremely drinkable - could easily drink this all night long.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Flavorwise this is more subdued than Urthel's tripel, which is odd, but it still has a great taste. I should note that my bottle is different and the ABV is marked as 11% (since the tripel I bought was also different, I think the pictures/ABV info need to be updated for this brand). The scent is characteristically Belgian with some trappist cheese figuring into the odor. Tastes of candi sugar, blackberry and mild spice; the alcohol is well-masked. I thought the tripel tasted a bit better but this is also excellent.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite foamy head but disseapering quite quickly. Good autumn dark brown colour. With some little bubbles dancing in my glass.

The smell is warm, syrup, sugar and caramel. Also I get some milk chocolate as well. a Bit alcohol.

The taste is wonderful. Warm, silky and smooth. a Little bit strong but also quite good drinkable. a Palate of fine sugars, roasted barley and warm slighty alcohol.

Good beer for the cold winter days....

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

I've been wanting to try this for a long time, but there was always something else more urgent, some seasonal or anniversary or limited edition brew that couldn't wait, while I knew this wasn't going anywhere. I also remember thinking it was quite expensive, I thought it was around $15 for a 750mL bottle, so I was pleasantly surprised to see they had it for $10.49.

Now I regret waiting, this is an amazing beer with a very rich, complex taste and aroma that, for me, puts to shame most of the beers I passed this up for in the past. Thick, somewhat heavy, and sweet, tastes of dark berries and dates, plus quite a bit more but unfortunately I didn't take notes while drinking so I'm working off memory. There are other reviews here with excellent details of the aroma & taste though. If you enjoy wines, the complexity & richness of the tastes reminded me of the first time I had Jarvis Cabernet Sauvignon, but at about 1/10th the price. High alcohol content (my bottle says 11%, not the 12% listed here) that's very well balanced with the multitude of other flavors.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap, poured into a Three Philosophers Snifter. Initial 2-finger thick head that very slowly dissolves into a web of fragmented lacing throughout the sides of the glass. The hue was thin and golden and a little more transparent than you'd expect for this style. Initial nose hints at a a subtly candied banana flavoring with a a haze of alcohol. The first swig reveals a dry and slightly bitter taste, offering a spicy tickle on my tongue. The feel is initially vibrant and complex with a splash of sour banana jumping out. That complexity, however, fades pretty quickly with each sip. After finishing, I was left with a subtle burn in the back of my throat. Overall, a pleasant experience - something I'd definitely order again, but with the high alcohol that starts to kick in as the glass empties, I'd probably drink no more than 1 of these in a single sitting.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I know the numbers may not exactly add up here but hear me out.

Poured out of a 12oz bottle, that was more long-necked than the picture provided, into a generic pint glass. Bottle may or may not matter. I am not knowledgeable enough to know.

Smells a bit sweet but pours a nice amber with at least an appreciable head. First sip is warm with alcohol which is a surprise. I thought this would be a higher ABV brew because of that but it still mellows quickly to a cane syrupy and fruity middle. It then drifts to a sort of glossy damn-it's-all-gone-should-have-bought-more finish.

I like it. Not a session beer, but not meant to be. Very nice.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

A dark golden beer, a touch cloudy, with a thin head on a dark winter night with a thin dusting of snow. Smelled like sour fruit (the good kind). The head dissipated by the time I took my first sip, but the remainder left some nice lacing on the glass.

I had a sip and had a tiny "wow!" moment with myself. The opening taste was very malty, fruity, and sour, right in the front o my mouth. That was nice, familiar. The finish is what got me, however. It was very dry, and pretty bitter, with a long hot burning finish that ended with an unfortunate medicinal flavor, rather like cough syrup. Actually, cherry cough syrup.

Overall a nice and warming pint, but the finish had me drinking a glass of water and ordering something else new.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%

22 bomber to Duvel tulip

It poured a copper amber color with a cream colored bubbly head. Definite lacing on the glass. The smell was very malty, what you would expect from a quad. it is a full bodied beer and over takes your mouth. The carmel and banana are typical and overpowering. It is a good belgium beer and a true example of a quadruple - high abv and high sweetness.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - Dark golden color with a persistent light tan head.

Smell - Complex blend of ripe fruits, rich malt and lightly toast.

Taste - Rich sweetness flavors (fruits and malt) with the alcohol well hiden.

Mouthfeel - Full, smooth and a well balanced alcohol warmth.

Drinkability - Very nice for a beer with high alcohol.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into my pilaarbijter glass.

A - two fingers of head atop the moderately cloudy reddish-orange ale S - dried apricots and malt; the alcohol does singe the hairs a bit, but overall light and pleasant T - starts off sour citrus but moves quickly to rich hops and alcohol. I enjoy lingering alcohol fumes and this perfectly satisfied that need M - thick and moderately carbonated; I despise over-carbonated ales so I'm happy D - If you like standing, any more than 4 of these will make leaving the couch difficult. I have six and imagine only having 2 or 3 before I move to something else....just finished my second and I'm enjoying it even more. I won't change my scores, but I'm really enjoying the citrus notes on the palate.

Overall, it will be a good experience if you're not turned off by a fruit influence on a strong Belgian Quad. The malt is not completely lost on this one, but it is far from a focus. Certainly worth a go.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Weighing in at an 11.5% abv, this quadrupel goes down rather nicely. The appearance is cloudy with a slight head and the smell is subtle with a hint of sour fruits (plums?)
The taste is truly nice with hints of alcohol and fruits permeating the mouth. Most beers of this strength can be a slow drink but Urthel has created a very drinkable quadrupel. It is a beer that can be drank in quantity since the alcohol is there but not as strong as many beers of this caliber. I highly recommend.

Urthel Samaranth from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)