Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

I never have had any beer that I have rated this well. To me, and to my wife Millie, if you were to imagine an excellent Golden Ale from Belgium merged with the perfect amount of hops to balance it out, this would be it. I was amazed at the brewer's ability to prove his talents when it comes to his craft. The color, the somewhat hazy, deeper than straw that one would expect. Mouthfeel... not overly carbonated, but well carbonated as per style. Aroma? Hops and expected banana-clove... slight. I would be so damn proud of this one, if I brewed it, I'd piss off my relatives by bragging too bloody much, so I'm glad they brewed it instead.

I did not have any of the gusher, carbonation problems that other reviewers did, but of course this was just one bottle bought in Concord, Mass at Colonial... a very well stocked outlet that competes quite well with Yankee Spirits, especially considering their superior knowledge and care they seem to take with product. So either the other merchants are storing it and treating it poorly... no surprise, or their only fault is in consistency, please say it ain't so!

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a nice opaque dark honey golden with a VERY thick and persistent head - it is thicker than B.S. in Washington and stays better than whipping cream on hot coco. Aroma is strong and mainly malty with a touch of sweetness and a strong hop undertone. Flavor balances hop and malt components, with a little malt sweetness and some hop fruitiness, and a touch of bitter. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable ale.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

color: hazy golden apple
appearance: HUGE four finger head if you poured slowly. The head was like a creature from hell. Just when you think it would disapate the head turned into a creamy bliss. ( rootbeer float) ahh!
Nose: fresh lemons, orangepeel, wet leather.
Taste: Lemon merange pie, into a spicy midpalate of white pepper,and fresh baked bread quality. Not much malt backbone but the creamy head that never goes away balances the bitter hops. If this brew had more of a malt-backbone this would of scored a perfect 5 for me.

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

1-9-08: Watching "Talk to Me" while reviewing this gem.

I poured this gorgeous beer into my De Garre snifter. It had a huge egg shell head that left lacing over the entire snifter. It had a nice bright yellowish-orange body that was semi-transparent.

A nice herbal hop aroma with bits of dried apricot. Very pleasant indeed.

All the flavor of a typical Belgian with a nice rounded hop body. A big hop presence, but it doesnt interfere with the other flavors. Light fruit, biscuit and glorious hops; herbal again with a bit of earth. One of the best beers I have ever had.

The moutfeel is fairly light a bit grainy.

I will get more of this beer as soon as I can. This is like no other Belgian IPA i have ever had. It is amazing.

8-26-09 - edit:

Enjoying this beer on a beautiful Nashville evening on my veranda; I cant believe I waited this long to try this beer for a second time. It is still amazing, if not better. I also havent seen "Talk to me" since I last had Hop-it, and I should because it also was a great movie.

R.I.P. De Garre snifter. The best beer glass I have ever had passed (fell on the floor) not long after the initial 1/08 review.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her husband, the owners of Urthel, at Toronado in San Francisco two years ago. That was the first time I tried Hop It and now I seek it out any chance I can.

This time, I poured it from their wonderfully labeled 750ML bottle into my Czechvar guilded lipped tulip glass. A lovely wheat and gold color with active carbonation and a pillowy white foam which lingered throughout the session.

The nose was citrusy and beautiful; hoppy with grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and lemons. Simply spectacular.

The tatse was also citrusy with oranges and grapefruit, etc. Perfectly balanced. Chaulky from the yeast yet clean and perfect.

Mouthfeel was more of the same citrusy magic. Smooth and delightful.

This is simply the class of the style. Superior in every way. A must try for all BA's.

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%

My name is Dan and I am a hops addict.

Sent by BitterBrian as part of the "Megaton Hop Bomb" trade. Thanks.

A- Beautiful yellow/golden hue with tons of fluffy head. Small particles floating in base of my Duvel tulip. Active carbonation. Over an inch of head left after the liquid was gone.

S- Fresh, lemony, hoppy mmm

T- The best surprise! I am not a huge Belgian fan. Duvel, (which I honestly buy in the packages with the tulip glass, just to get the glass), without fail upsets my stomach after the first sip. This beer however, danced across my tongue and landed softly, begging to be sipped again. This beer was so tasty I actually ran my finger against the inside of the glass to get at the remaining head.

M- Light and crisp, lots of carbonation cleansed the palate and then spread the alcohol warmth.

D- I have a new style to enjoy! If I had had another to open, I would not have hesitated. This beer will now always be "in stock" and ready for use.

Thanks again Brian for the enlightenment.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

Very spicy aroma. Spicy hop types, and a bunch of fruity esters. Big malt aroma that's a little bit sugary.

Great looking beer. Very clear, golden with a big pillowy head. Tons of rising bubbles.

Flavor starts off pretty bitter from the carbonation bite. Mid palate is fairly assertive hop bitterness. It finishes nice and malty. The malt and the estery character is like a solid tripel but the addition of big amounts of hops makes it stand apart. There's a good amount of hop flavor too but the aftertaste is honey-like.

Full bodied with a really good carbonation level.

Really tasty beer. It's nice an hoppy but still characteristically Belgian in character. Fantastic idea of what an IPA, brewed by a Belgian, would be like.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer pours a lightly hop hazy straw gold color. It is well carbonated with tons of streaming tight bubbles rising from all parts of my tulip glass. The carbonation holds up a head that is frothy and meringue like. The head slowly forms a rocky surface as it rests back down into the beer, all the while creating layers of Belgian lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is grassy and herbal with a nice grainy note that adds to both the grassy quality and contributes a sweet grain note. There is lots of yeast character in the aroma as well; a bit of spiciness and something that adds to the herbal character, both of these are definitely evident under the hop notes.

Ah the taste is quite nice; raw, hoppy, yet distinctly Belgian in character. Raw grassy notes abound in this brew, yet still there is a solid alt character here. The brewers have left out all of that American propensity to use crystal malt and instead have relied upon a straightforward simple grain bill which has left us still with a complex malty grain character. Notes of sweet grain and a nice toasted malt note help to buoy up the dominant hop character. The finish starts with a bit of alcohol and a solid hop bitterness; in combination these definitely accentuate the raw hoppiness that lingers on into a long astringent finish.

This is quite nice, I really like the added complexity that the Belgian yeast brings. What really helps this work is that the dominant hop character is a mix of herbal and grassy notes as well as the simple grain bill that was used. This is really quite enjoyable and I hope to see more of these Belgian styled super hop beers.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Large bottle, caged and corked, w/o freshness dating....according to the label this is Belgium's/Urthel's/ Hildegard's "homage" to the hoppy brews of the USA. I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her friendly hubby at ASN's Ultimate Belgian fest last night. Since this is the melding of 2 of my favorite styles this beer is one of my favorites. Cloudy, dull light orangey amber, near white head, pillowy and leaving a thick tiny bubble film, as well as world class lacing and gooey sheeting. Nose is of spice, yeast, and light gin. This is exquisitely tasty and complex stuff. Notes of white pepper, yeasty phenolics, fruity and crisply hoppy late. Magnum, spalt and saaz hops seal the deal. Ah , cultural diffusion! Belgium/USA…I want more of this classy brew…I’ll buy a case of bombers the first chance I get!

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into a flaired tulip glass a froathy white head exploded over the sides of the glass,cloudy,nice golden color, tight streams of very tiny bubbles cascading all up the sides of the glass. Very good retention leaviing a lasting pillowy layer atop the beer with thick chunks of lace down the glass.

Clean spicy aromas grassy and citrusy,hefe-like spice notes with sweet breaddy aromas as the warms.

Spicy tastes upfront followed by a rush of earthy booziness,yet the booziness is well-played.sweet sugary maltiness with a lingering dry grassy fade.

Light and zesty mouthfeel,very drinkable espesially for the 9.5% had booziness,yet not overbearing and letting all the oter flavors come through,just the way i like it. Could even enjoy this beer and a hot summer day,which I did.
A lot going in here wish i had another bottle for this review,will definatly pick more of this one up someday. Thanks to Kwakwhore for the send avalible in my area just never picked and up,but i will be now.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

My next beer in a series of 4 had at Monk's Cafe earlier this evening.

A - poured a lovely pale honey, slightly hazy, with a (wow) massive 3.5" fluffy white head that laced magnificently and retained a half inch cap until the very end.

S - hard to discern at first but I made out some lemon zest, bananas, citrus, and a slight Duvel-esque aroma. Although not as hoppy as I expected, the light profile complemented the bouquet nicely.

T - mild hoppiness with slight herbal residues. Pale malts, a splash of something acidic with biscuits. A prominent alcoholic warmth.

M - light bodied with bubbly carbonation. Very smooth.

D - highly drinkable! Give me more!

Overall - This is a very good beer indeed. The intense head was just exceptional. Poured into a flat bottomed tulip, it blossomed into a volcano of retaining white bubbly goodness. I had to sit and marvel at it before taking a sip. Very interesting, almost like a Belgian strong pale ale with a dose of hops. Although I've only had one or two other Belgian IPA's, this is certainly a keeper. I must also note that the characteristics of this beer intensifies with warmth and maximizes when it sits for about 15 minutes. An excellent beer overall.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

This was the beer that got me into Belgians. Had this a while ago at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto, and then many time since. Reviewing this from on tap at Beer Bistro, blocks from the G20 craziness.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white head, tons of lacing. Smell is lots of hops upfront, with the Belgian yeastiness coming through. Taste has some citrus and pine hop bitterness, but then it still has more of the aftertaste of a tripel. Incredibly delicious. Awesome carbonation level and dangerously drinkable at 9.5% alcohol..

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from a 330ml fattie into an Orval glass (chose the glassware out of ingnorance and taste). The appearance is slightly hazy pale orange with clumpy islands of foam on top. The smell is not as overly hoppy as I expected, it's more muted with a sweet Belgian yeastie aroma in the background. The taste is sweet and malty, slight bite of hops, with Belgian yeast in the mix and a slightly sour taste on the back-end. Really nice thick mouthfeel and delicious flavor keep the drinkability high, although the high alcohol content (not detected in the flavor) could be dangerous.

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)