2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 721 | Reviews: 526 | Show All Ratings:
kencarman

Tennessee

I never have had any beer that I have rated this well. To me, and to my wife Millie, if you were to imagine an excellent Golden Ale from Belgium merged with the perfect amount of hops to balance it out, this would be it. I was amazed at the brewer's ability to prove his talents when it comes to his craft. The color, the somewhat hazy, deeper than straw that one would expect. Mouthfeel... not overly carbonated, but well carbonated as per style. Aroma? Hops and expected banana-clove... slight. I would be so damn proud of this one, if I brewed it, I'd piss off my relatives by bragging too bloody much, so I'm glad they brewed it instead.

I did not have any of the gusher, carbonation problems that other reviewers did, but of course this was just one bottle bought in Concord, Mass at Colonial... a very well stocked outlet that competes quite well with Yankee Spirits, especially considering their superior knowledge and care they seem to take with product. So either the other merchants are storing it and treating it poorly... no surprise, or their only fault is in consistency, please say it ain't so!

09-05-2006 13:07:29 | More by kencarman
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a nice opaque dark honey golden with a VERY thick and persistent head - it is thicker than B.S. in Washington and stays better than whipping cream on hot coco. Aroma is strong and mainly malty with a touch of sweetness and a strong hop undertone. Flavor balances hop and malt components, with a little malt sweetness and some hop fruitiness, and a touch of bitter. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable ale.

09-14-2007 02:42:17 | More by Cyberkedi
athensbeermaster

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

color: hazy golden apple
appearance: HUGE four finger head if you poured slowly. The head was like a creature from hell. Just when you think it would disapate the head turned into a creamy bliss. ( rootbeer float) ahh!
Nose: fresh lemons, orangepeel, wet leather.
Taste: Lemon merange pie, into a spicy midpalate of white pepper,and fresh baked bread quality. Not much malt backbone but the creamy head that never goes away balances the bitter hops. If this brew had more of a malt-backbone this would of scored a perfect 5 for me.

02-05-2007 18:03:20 | More by athensbeermaster
IPAcraig

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

1-9-08: Watching "Talk to Me" while reviewing this gem.

I poured this gorgeous beer into my De Garre snifter. It had a huge egg shell head that left lacing over the entire snifter. It had a nice bright yellowish-orange body that was semi-transparent.

A nice herbal hop aroma with bits of dried apricot. Very pleasant indeed.

All the flavor of a typical Belgian with a nice rounded hop body. A big hop presence, but it doesnt interfere with the other flavors. Light fruit, biscuit and glorious hops; herbal again with a bit of earth. One of the best beers I have ever had.

The moutfeel is fairly light a bit grainy.

I will get more of this beer as soon as I can. This is like no other Belgian IPA i have ever had. It is amazing.

8-26-09 - edit:

Enjoying this beer on a beautiful Nashville evening on my veranda; I cant believe I waited this long to try this beer for a second time. It is still amazing, if not better. I also havent seen "Talk to me" since I last had Hop-it, and I should because it also was a great movie.

R.I.P. De Garre snifter. The best beer glass I have ever had passed (fell on the floor) not long after the initial 1/08 review.

01-09-2008 00:15:50 | More by IPAcraig
jim102864

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her husband, the owners of Urthel, at Toronado in San Francisco two years ago. That was the first time I tried Hop It and now I seek it out any chance I can.

This time, I poured it from their wonderfully labeled 750ML bottle into my Czechvar guilded lipped tulip glass. A lovely wheat and gold color with active carbonation and a pillowy white foam which lingered throughout the session.

The nose was citrusy and beautiful; hoppy with grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and lemons. Simply spectacular.

The tatse was also citrusy with oranges and grapefruit, etc. Perfectly balanced. Chaulky from the yeast yet clean and perfect.

Mouthfeel was more of the same citrusy magic. Smooth and delightful.

This is simply the class of the style. Superior in every way. A must try for all BA's.

11-27-2008 13:30:07 | More by jim102864
dhchatfield

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

My name is Dan and I am a hops addict.

Sent by BitterBrian as part of the "Megaton Hop Bomb" trade. Thanks.

A- Beautiful yellow/golden hue with tons of fluffy head. Small particles floating in base of my Duvel tulip. Active carbonation. Over an inch of head left after the liquid was gone.

S- Fresh, lemony, hoppy mmm

T- The best surprise! I am not a huge Belgian fan. Duvel, (which I honestly buy in the packages with the tulip glass, just to get the glass), without fail upsets my stomach after the first sip. This beer however, danced across my tongue and landed softly, begging to be sipped again. This beer was so tasty I actually ran my finger against the inside of the glass to get at the remaining head.

M- Light and crisp, lots of carbonation cleansed the palate and then spread the alcohol warmth.

D- I have a new style to enjoy! If I had had another to open, I would not have hesitated. This beer will now always be "in stock" and ready for use.

Thanks again Brian for the enlightenment.

06-22-2006 16:51:18 | More by dhchatfield
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer pours a lightly hop hazy straw gold color. It is well carbonated with tons of streaming tight bubbles rising from all parts of my tulip glass. The carbonation holds up a head that is frothy and meringue like. The head slowly forms a rocky surface as it rests back down into the beer, all the while creating layers of Belgian lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is grassy and herbal with a nice grainy note that adds to both the grassy quality and contributes a sweet grain note. There is lots of yeast character in the aroma as well; a bit of spiciness and something that adds to the herbal character, both of these are definitely evident under the hop notes.

Ah the taste is quite nice; raw, hoppy, yet distinctly Belgian in character. Raw grassy notes abound in this brew, yet still there is a solid alt character here. The brewers have left out all of that American propensity to use crystal malt and instead have relied upon a straightforward simple grain bill which has left us still with a complex malty grain character. Notes of sweet grain and a nice toasted malt note help to buoy up the dominant hop character. The finish starts with a bit of alcohol and a solid hop bitterness; in combination these definitely accentuate the raw hoppiness that lingers on into a long astringent finish.

This is quite nice, I really like the added complexity that the Belgian yeast brings. What really helps this work is that the dominant hop character is a mix of herbal and grassy notes as well as the simple grain bill that was used. This is really quite enjoyable and I hope to see more of these Belgian styled super hop beers.

03-03-2006 14:56:47 | More by Gueuzedude
czechsaaz

Washington

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

Very spicy aroma. Spicy hop types, and a bunch of fruity esters. Big malt aroma that's a little bit sugary.

Great looking beer. Very clear, golden with a big pillowy head. Tons of rising bubbles.

Flavor starts off pretty bitter from the carbonation bite. Mid palate is fairly assertive hop bitterness. It finishes nice and malty. The malt and the estery character is like a solid tripel but the addition of big amounts of hops makes it stand apart. There's a good amount of hop flavor too but the aftertaste is honey-like.

Full bodied with a really good carbonation level.

Really tasty beer. It's nice an hoppy but still characteristically Belgian in character. Fantastic idea of what an IPA, brewed by a Belgian, would be like.

03-06-2006 05:56:53 | More by czechsaaz
Billolick

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Large bottle, caged and corked, w/o freshness dating....according to the label this is Belgium's/Urthel's/ Hildegard's "homage" to the hoppy brews of the USA. I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her friendly hubby at ASN's Ultimate Belgian fest last night. Since this is the melding of 2 of my favorite styles this beer is one of my favorites. Cloudy, dull light orangey amber, near white head, pillowy and leaving a thick tiny bubble film, as well as world class lacing and gooey sheeting. Nose is of spice, yeast, and light gin. This is exquisitely tasty and complex stuff. Notes of white pepper, yeasty phenolics, fruity and crisply hoppy late. Magnum, spalt and saaz hops seal the deal. Ah , cultural diffusion! Belgium/USA…I want more of this classy brew…I’ll buy a case of bombers the first chance I get!

03-26-2006 00:03:40 | More by Billolick
Gavage

4.65/5  rDev +18%

Appearance: arrived in an Urthel mug glass sporting a clear pale yellow color with a 2" merangue head. The head lasts for most of the drink like a dollop of whipped cream floating on the surface. Thick lacing coats the glass. Tons of tiny bubbles racing to the surface.

Smell: easily detectable pinecone bitterness and lemon zest.

Taste: follows the nose with sharp piney bitterness, lemon zest, sweet grapefruit, sweet malts, some biscuit, and apples. Alcohol level is not noticeable at all among the bold flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp at the start and finish. Short aftertaste of sharp bitterness and citrus.

Drinkability: simply wonderful. This is a beer I could have several of and I am happy I got to have it on tap. If you ever see this and are a hop head it's a must buy.

02-23-2006 23:53:38 | More by Gavage
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +18%

This was the beer that got me into Belgians. Had this a while ago at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto, and then many time since. Reviewing this from on tap at Beer Bistro, blocks from the G20 craziness.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white head, tons of lacing. Smell is lots of hops upfront, with the Belgian yeastiness coming through. Taste has some citrus and pine hop bitterness, but then it still has more of the aftertaste of a tripel. Incredibly delicious. Awesome carbonation level and dangerously drinkable at 9.5% alcohol..

06-29-2010 04:56:56 | More by kwjd
TurdFurgison

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a 330ml fattie into an Orval glass (chose the glassware out of ingnorance and taste). The appearance is slightly hazy pale orange with clumpy islands of foam on top. The smell is not as overly hoppy as I expected, it's more muted with a sweet Belgian yeastie aroma in the background. The taste is sweet and malty, slight bite of hops, with Belgian yeast in the mix and a slightly sour taste on the back-end. Really nice thick mouthfeel and delicious flavor keep the drinkability high, although the high alcohol content (not detected in the flavor) could be dangerous.

01-14-2007 18:13:30 | More by TurdFurgison
dsa7783

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

From a 1pint, 9 fl oz bottle copped caged and corked from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa, this superior Belgian IPA is right up there with Chouffe Dobbelen IPA as one of the best renditions of this remarkable style... Although a bit pricey, this Belgian was worth every penny... impressive frothy and foamy head lays atop a cloudy, hazy, straw-colored appearance with plenty of visible carbonation... smell is complete with light, fresh, hops, citrus, and lemons... Bubble-gum flavor with fresh pines, hops, fruit, and perhaps a bitter of coriander and spices with a honey and cream taste... exquisite, top-notch taste... I could drink this all night...mouthfeel was like butter... light, full-of-flavor, rich, with a nice sprucy, bubbly feel... overall easy drinkability and the 9.5% ABV is only slightly noticeable behind a wonderful cornucopia of rich, satisfying flavors... hands down, one of the better brews I've ever sampled... great stuff... looking forward to sampling other beers from this terrific brewery... Definitely recommended...

01-28-2008 23:29:36 | More by dsa7783
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into a flaired tulip glass a froathy white head exploded over the sides of the glass,cloudy,nice golden color, tight streams of very tiny bubbles cascading all up the sides of the glass. Very good retention leaviing a lasting pillowy layer atop the beer with thick chunks of lace down the glass.

Clean spicy aromas grassy and citrusy,hefe-like spice notes with sweet breaddy aromas as the warms.

Spicy tastes upfront followed by a rush of earthy booziness,yet the booziness is well-played.sweet sugary maltiness with a lingering dry grassy fade.

Light and zesty mouthfeel,very drinkable espesially for the 9.5% had booziness,yet not overbearing and letting all the oter flavors come through,just the way i like it. Could even enjoy this beer and a hot summer day,which I did.
A lot going in here wish i had another bottle for this review,will definatly pick more of this one up someday. Thanks to Kwakwhore for the send avalible in my area just never picked and up,but i will be now.

09-04-2008 03:04:21 | More by jcdiflorio
DmanGTR

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

My next beer in a series of 4 had at Monk's Cafe earlier this evening.

A - poured a lovely pale honey, slightly hazy, with a (wow) massive 3.5" fluffy white head that laced magnificently and retained a half inch cap until the very end.

S - hard to discern at first but I made out some lemon zest, bananas, citrus, and a slight Duvel-esque aroma. Although not as hoppy as I expected, the light profile complemented the bouquet nicely.

T - mild hoppiness with slight herbal residues. Pale malts, a splash of something acidic with biscuits. A prominent alcoholic warmth.

M - light bodied with bubbly carbonation. Very smooth.

D - highly drinkable! Give me more!

Overall - This is a very good beer indeed. The intense head was just exceptional. Poured into a flat bottomed tulip, it blossomed into a volcano of retaining white bubbly goodness. I had to sit and marvel at it before taking a sip. Very interesting, almost like a Belgian strong pale ale with a dose of hops. Although I've only had one or two other Belgian IPA's, this is certainly a keeper. I must also note that the characteristics of this beer intensifies with warmth and maximizes when it sits for about 15 minutes. An excellent beer overall.

01-29-2009 05:59:38 | More by DmanGTR
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Lightly yeast-flecked, sparkling goldenrod beneath a massive head of polished ivory. The abundant carbonation and all the hop resins will, no doubt, ensure that the cap hangs around forever. That's a very good thing since it looks stupendous. Creamy, bubbly and super-sticky. Simply put, one of the best heads in recent memory. Sheets of tacky lace don't achieve total glass coverage, but they come close.

If I loved noble hops as much as I love American hops, this would be my be-all-and-end-all of aromas, regardless of style. It's still pretty wonderful. There's a controlled olfactory explosion of floral, sweet grassy and zesty lemon citric elements that is pure noble bliss. A none too subtle funkiness puts it over the top with room to spare. It's abundantly clear that this ain't your daddy's BSPA.

Hop-It is everything that I'd hoped it would be and is likely everything that its brewer(s) set out to create. I'm fairly sure that this bottle is several months old at least and it's still capable of smacking me hop silly and making my poor, tortured tongue beg for mercy. I doubt that I'll ever change my mind about noble hops, but this beer does everything in its power to pull Saaz, Spalt and Magnum to a near equal position with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe and Amarillo.

Pils malt was a good choice since it imparts very little flavor and allows the hops to have their way in this incredibly hop-centric ale. There's more than enough on board, however, to keep the beer from becoming an undrinkable bitter bomb. Just enough sweetness works behind the scenes to counter the raging bitterness of the hops.

Hops dominate from beginning to lingering, desiccating end. Bitter lemon pith and peel is king, with an impressive undertow of cardamom and clove. A honey-like sweetness tries to raise its head, but keeps getting swamped by a deluge of hop resins. I'm finding it hard to believe the 9.5% ABV. There's very little evidence of that much alcohol on the palate and I'd suggest going easy lest this beer sneak up on you like it's beginning to do to me.

The mouthfeel seemed breezily light initially, at least in comparison to its American DIPA counterparts. Further reflection reveals a firm silkiness that is easily the equal of those stickysweet, full-bodied beers that I love so well. I wouldn't change a thing about this one, especially since it improves the drinkability of an already amazingly drinkable beer.

Some will bemoan the fact that a respected Belgian brewer has jumped on the 'more hops' bandwagon that was started by a number of American brewers and that is (thankfully) still going strong. On the contrary. This beer adds to rather than detracts from the legacy of brewing excellence that is Belgian beer. Urthel Hop-It is a stunning achievement that hop heads the world over owe it to themselves to try.

03-01-2006 23:49:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
meathookjones

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle. Slightly cloudy golden orange with some floaties and a big frothy white head. Huge clumps of lace and sticky rings of lacing were left all over the glass. Nice hoppy citric bitterness with some slightly sweet fruit notes in the aroma. Some spiciness and doughy malts as well. Flavor is nicely bitter up front with citric hops and a yeasty malt doughiness. Nice notes of sweet fruits in the middle with some spicy hops finish up the taste. Pretty damn thick and full body with perfect carbonation. Extremely drinkable beer to me. I had no clue it was almost 10% till I was done with the beer and was looking over the bottle. It pretty much nails the idea of a Belgian IPA in my opinion.

03-31-2006 17:33:02 | More by meathookjones
DogFood11

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml brown bottle corked and caged. Poured into a modified tulip it forms a chunky, loose, white head. Retention is outstanding. Golden body with medium sized carbonation. Tasty looking.

Smell is of spices and light fruits. Kind of a mix between a belgian pale and a tripel....in the nose at least.

Tasted very spicey, dry and full of hops. Soft and fairly light up front but then theres a humongous zap with the combination I just mentioned. First the spices, then the fruits and huge cleansing snap of hop bite. The taste lingers into the aftertaste and is a task to clean this baby up but eventually you'll be ready for another pull. Patience. As it warmed there was a more hefty load of cloves and it became a bit sweeter but to be honest it needed some of it.

Notes: Excellent. A great new style and this is a shining example of it. Bring on more fresh versions and it will be purchased in this household.

06-02-2007 06:41:51 | More by DogFood11
zoso493

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've been meaning to try this one for a long time and now I finally have it. Let's see how it goes. Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a really nice honey-amber color with a enormous, fluffy, four-finger head that stays around for awhile. Also leaves some pretty sticky looking lacing on the glass.

Smell: Really interesting smell that I would characterize overall as fruity. Some juicy hops come out at first, with citrus and pine being the dominant hop scents. Towards the back of the smell, you can get some nice Belgian yeast. This one smells pretty enticing.

Taste: Interesting taste to this brew. Starts out very bitter and then finishes with some characteristic Belgian yeast. It does, however, have a long but pleasant and hoppy bitter finish. This is actually a lot better than I had expected, and also much more hop-forward. I would think of this more as an American IPA than anything, although the Belgian yeast does give it away. Really well balanced, as well, and the yeast compliments the hops nicely.

Mouthfeel: Light and creamy with a nice amount of carbonation that bounces of your tongue and leaves it dry. Pretty crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: Well, you'll never guess this is a 9.5% ABV brew. This was actually one of the few beers that I've drank without looking at the ABV before hand, and I guess that it was maybe 7% percent. Really nice and refreshing brew that goes down easy.

Overall, this is a really nice, easy-drinking IPA that is definitely worth trying. Most brewers that aren't used to brewing hopcentric brews just don't seem to get it right in some way, but Urthel nailed it with this one. This is a hella nice brew and I'll probably end up picking up a couple more. I can't wait to try the Houblon I have sitting in the "cellar" to see how it stacks up.

12-01-2009 21:38:00 | More by zoso493
feloniousmonk

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

From the front of the silk-screened 750 ml bottle, the phrase "Superior Hoppy Belgian Ale" sits above the logo, complete with the Erthel gnome, wearing a wreath of hops around his bald head, smiling with beer mug in hand. Below the "Hop-iT" logo, the words, "Brewers Excellent Selection of Hops", amid graphics of hops. Hops used: 50% Magnum, 32% Spalt, 18% Saaz. 80 IBU. Pilsner malts.

From the back of the bottle: "Following a visit to American Northwest in January 2005, Hildegard returned to Belgium enthusiastic about all of the different IPAs she had tasted. She knew that she wanted to brew an IPA of her own, but it had to be with a real Flemish touch. Her touch!"

Cork comes off almost on it's own. The pours into an Urthel Pache' glass a hazed, pale gold, with a prodigious head, captured well by the glass, a huge, puffy white cloud, leaving loads of lace, slowly settling.

Aroma is brilliant, spice and citrus zest leaping from the glass, finding happy haven in the nose...lemon, apricot, pineapple, ...the Saaz really comes through, emitting a distinctive floral beauty, along with the spicy spark.

That zest continues it's attack once it climbs on the tongue. Moreover, the mouthfeel is almost ingenious, as the flavor sticks to the palate tenaciously, clinging and delivering bitterness and deliciousness.
Full bodied, with a long, fruity, bitter finish.
Each new sip grants more of this intractable potency, until you slowly realize the strength of this one (9.5%)...but it does take awhile, and meanwhile, it's damnably drinkable. Puts many a Belgian golden ale or tripel to shame.

I think Hildegard struck a homer on this one, her intentions were successfully made reality. It reminds one of an American DIPA, until you taste and feel all the parts that are uniquely Flemish. A stunning accomplishment. I like it more and more as the glass drains and my stomach fills...I will be enjoying more and more of this in the future, that is a guarantee!

Although I review this from a bottle at home, I was granted the rare treat of having my first taste of this fine beer in the company of Hildegard herself, as well as Bas Vas Ostern, the man behind the Urthels, and several other fine folks, as well. Many thanks, Hildegard, keep on brewin'...or, should I say, "Pache'!"

10-04-2005 06:47:41 | More by feloniousmonk
GCBrewingCo

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

The beer poured into the chalice clear golden straw with a white moussy head which rose tall and fell slowly coating the glass.

The aroma was spicy and estery with a nice alcoholic driven phenolic of spices, pepper most dominant. Along for the ride was a fruity presence of mango and pineapple. Also a nice earthy hop presence was notable.

The flavor was crisp with a strong bittering that was never harsh, nor overdone. The flavor was light with a malt flavor coupled with spice from the fermentation and that substantial hop bittering. The beer had quite a bit going on, but ever bit of the flavor was clean without being muddled and out of balance. The hop bittering and malt flavor worked well with the spice to create a well crafted brew.

The finish was dry with lasting hop bitterness and spice long and pleasant and continually drying into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation made for a nice creaminess on the palate. This was a darn nice brew. I gotta get more!

750 ml corked and bailed silk screened bottle. Writing on the back gives the stats. $10.99 at Southern Season in Chapel Hill.
20.5ºP
Pilsner Malt
50% Magnum, 32% Spalt, 18% Saaz

12-02-2005 22:45:50 | More by GCBrewingCo
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a clear hay like yellow, a massive head leaves that fluffy lace you get with Belgian beers. But there are two distinct rings of this fluff, like the two rings that come with Dreadnaught poured into a tulip. Aroma is spicy and citrusy, some pepper.

The hops are dry and citrusy, spicy and cleanly bitter. The malt lends some balance, I wish it were hoppier, though. Not to say this isn't hoppy. On the contrary, it is nicely hoppy. Mouthfeel is awesome, champagnesque. Drinkability is great. This is the type of hoppy beer I like with spicy food, not the American citrusy IIPAs.

03-02-2006 07:16:06 | More by Sephiroth
drunkmonk

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

a: Pour's clear golden, with a healthy fluffy head that draws down to a nice half inch lace. This beer resembles a Duvel..even more since I am enjoying this in a Duvel glass.

a: I love the aroma of this beer. So much going on here, fresh cut grass, clove, bannana, lettuce, corriander and belgian yeast, thinking Westmalle. I can't wait to to taste this.

t: mmm, exceptional...but what type of beer is this? It's not your traditional IPA. It actually starts of as somewhat of a belgian golden, but not? First flavors are spice mmm..coriander, very crisp, then some light to moderate hops start moving, followed by a faint hop bitterness. This is very different in a very good way. It's not an IPA and It's not anything traditionally belgian that I have yet to try..sort of a melding of golden/triple/Ipa. I am confused..but I am thoroughly enjoying this confusion.

m: This is dangeriously drinkable, "Velvet Hammer Alert" There is no alcohol detected to me here. Nice moderate mouthfeel not watery, but just right, or maybe...spectacular?

I: This beer is highly enjoyable..a true gem. I am so glad Hildegard took the trip to the Pacific Northwest, she has outdone herself with this one.

Go find this beer and consume. It will put a smile on your face.

03-06-2006 01:21:35 | More by drunkmonk
slammo

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Got this one in a big bottle with a cork in it. I like the cork versus cap but not enough for extra points. Still it's nice.

Pours beautifully and looks inviting...best enjoyed in a Belgian tulip style glass. High pointes here for the great things to come.

Smell is on the money with spice and fruity ethers. Gotta take a swig and then the taste is exceptional with hoppy wonder ness. Hop It!!

Mouth feel is silky and smooth just can't drink 10 of these in one sitting but I'd like to try.

07-16-2008 00:37:32 | More by slammo
arguemaniac

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a mildly hazy but very bright golden color with a thick, well-sustained white head. The aroma is dominated by a grassy hop spice but also contains some fruity malt sweetness and a whiff of alcohol. The palate features fruity flavors (banana), a fairly rich candy-like sweetness, some definite leafiness, and a very aggressive but not totally overwhelming hop bite. Very balanced. Perhaps the most impressive thing about this beer, though, is how well the nearly 10% abv is hidden; this brew is dangerously drinkable. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy.

This crisp, rich brew is a refreshing change of pace as far as Belgians are concerned considering how hoppy it is. Don’t get me wrong, Belgians certainly know how to hop a beer when they want to (Duval, anyone?), but most of their beers tend to be malty and alcoholic. This one was all that, but was nicely balanced by a great hop spice. I’m told this is a Belgian interpretation of the American IPA style. If it is, I would say it is more balanced and hides its alcohol level better than many American IPAs. But whatever style it is, it’s a real treat. Highly recommended.

08-04-2006 05:32:56 | More by arguemaniac
Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)