Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005)
3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Cloudy golden body, thick whipped cream head. Very nice!

Nose is an odd blend of Belgian funk with some sweetness, not really any clear hops here...

Flavor is mildly bitter, but not anywhere near 80 IBUs to my taste-buds. Spicy and flavorful, it's not really an IPA or a typical Belgian. Not at all what I expected, but still OK.

Mouthfeel is zesty and very highly carbonated.

Quenching and drinkable.

ghostwalker, Aug 03, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

I have been really enjoying the Belgian IPA style lately. There is usually a unique combination of strong citrus hops mixed with that unique Belgian taste. This is my first authentic Belgian one, however. Here is my review:

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow. Head is quite bubbly and large. Sticks around nicely. Lacing is minimal. Looks pretty tasty.

S/T: What makes this different from the American interpretations of the style is that the Belgian character comes first. Then the hops. I was pretty disappointed overall. Aroma consists of Belgian yeast, wheat, grass, and maybe some grapes. Very faint aroma. Taste is a little more intense, but still nothing great. I get the Belgian yeast, some wheat, and breadyness. Hops come through in the finish with a slight grassyness quality to them. Nothing like an American style IPA at all. I also get some licorice in there, which doesn't mesh well with the other flavors. Alcohol does come through as well. Probably not something I would buy again.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Finishes slightly dry. Carbonation is a little lower than average. Drinks okay for a 9.5% ABV beer. Alcohol does rear its head, but doesn't detract too much.

Overall, I must say that this beer doesn't do anything for me. It tastes okay, but I personally feel that American style Belgian IPAs have a much fuller and hoppier taste. This just tastes like an average Belgian ale with a touch more hop bite. At $15.00 a 4-pack, I must say I would never buy this one again. I only would recommend it to big Belgian beer fans who want a very reserved hop intensity to their beer. Not the best.

OldSchoolGamer, Sep 27, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

This brew pours a hazy pale yellow color. The head is a billowy four fingers in height, and recedes very slowly. Lacing is thick, lasting until the last sip is gone, and leaving rings and clouds of foam on the sides of the glass. The aroma is very earthy and yeasty. The taste is where is hops are in this beer. The earthy and yeasty notes which are upfront in the aroma are in the background in the taste. They are nearly covered up by a green, resiny, hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slightly ligher than medium bodied, with nice carbonation. Overall, it is as if the normal flavors of a Belgian ale and the hops are at war with one another, and, like in all war, everyone is the loser. Nothing in this beer seems to be in harmony with anything else. A fellow BA once said, "I can tell you if a beer is made well, and I can tell you if I like it." I can tell that this is a well made beer, and I bet a loe of other hop heads out there love it, but I don't.

KarlHungus, Nov 17, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Gold with lots of foamy head.. decent lacing and retention

S: Lots of floral hops.. sweet malts (honey and apples and pears?) with some phenols and yeast rounding out a complex nose..

T: Disappointing... I think they over did it here as the fruity malts come across really funky when matched with the floral hops... some metallic almost coors light like finishing notes

M: Dry, crisp finish. Tickles the tongue.

D: The taste was just too disappointing to try again...

callmemickey, Mar 23, 2008

discharmingly, Oct 07, 2013

Arrowhuntr, Aug 16, 2014

baylz, Apr 20, 2014

Carpentiere, Sep 29, 2013

b1515152004, Jun 28, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bhalter8 for the bottle.

Golden pour. Massive white head retains very well. Great lacing.

Aroma is yeasty, spicy and citric. It's a pretty solid blend of Belgian Pale and IPA, which oddly enough, makes it smell kind of like a tripel.

This tastes like a tripel, as well. Fruity, grassy, spicy...and boozy. The hops I smelled are practically nowhere to be found. Unpleasant finish.

Medium body, appropriate carbonation. Noticeable alcohol makes this a little more difficult to put back. Not really a fan of this one.

Gyle41386, Apr 25, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden orange in color with some slight haze and noticeable particles. Amazing pillowy off-white head with tiny bubbles and impressive retention.

Aroma-Primary aromas are of sweet rock candy and alcohol with just a touch of raisins and caramel. Hops are rather light and exhibit a soft spicy/woody/herbal character. Ester and phenol profiles are rather subdued.

Flavor-Austere flavor is dominated by the hops and the alcohol. Faintest hint of malt sweetness is quickly swept away, first by drying alcohol, which is followed by moderate hop bitterness and grassy, woody, and spicy hop flavors. The finish is overtaken by pronounced alcohol notes-not necessarily unpleasant but quite powerful.

Mouthfeel-Moderate carbonation, medium full body. Substantial alcohol warmth coats tongue but never becomes hot.

Not as hoppy as I would have expected, and lacking much Belgian yeast character as well. Quite boozy, though it manages to be relatively inoffensive. I don't think I like it too much, but it intrigues me and keeps me tasting it.

plfahey, Aug 02, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -16%

750ml bottle, cages and corked. Pours a pale straw color, the four-finger white head forms a stiff cap in the center, amid ample sticky lacing. The nose is filled with grass and herbs, sligh hop and corriander.

The taste is very lemony, with some yeast, corriander, clove, pepper, and a lot less hops than I was expecting. The aftertaste is bitter--though without delivering an enjoyable hop hit before it sucks the life out of the tongue.

The mouth seemed rather light and lacked complexity. It's drinkable, but not all that interesting. I was quite disappointed.

Osiris9588, Oct 14, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -16%

Golden yellow body, white head.

Aromas of peach and pear with floral notes.

Flavors toasted malt, some tartness mid palate. Medicinal, floral, herbal hops are understated but present. Light bitterness, but American IPA fans will need to adjust their expectations dramatically.

Medium to light bodied.

A nice Belgian IPA, though I prefer De Ranke XX or the Houblon Chouffe, but not bad.

BradLikesBrew, Aug 11, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Leaves a huge, white, foamy head three fingers in depth with excellent retention. It leaves webs and webs of excellent sticky lacing. Body is a hazy gold. Looks great.

Smell - horseblanket, with hints of figs and apricots. Well hidden alcohol.

Taste - as promised by the smell - horseblanket, with tiny hints of figs and apricots. Small hint of lemon on the finish.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, with a great deal of hop oil slickness.

Drinkability - high abv holds down sessionability, but even if it didn't, this doesn't offer much aroma and flavor beyond horseblanket, so to me it's merely a decent beer, and not one I'd seek out often.

ultralarry2006, Jun 24, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: pale straw yellow, slight haze, big layer of pure white froth, great head retention, lace

Aroma: luscious perfumey hops with hints of blossom honey, coriander, citrus peel

Flavor: full malt sweetness with a sugary edge that almost becomes too sweet until a late-hitting smooth bitterness tamps it down; followed by peppery alcohol and hints of passion fruit, buckwheat, and clementine; finishes semisweet with a lingering mild bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, zingy carbonation, a bit slick and lots of alcohol warmth in the throat

Other comments: This is a great beer but I was surprised at how not-hoppy it is. In other words, I was expecting a bit more of a kick. Having said that, this is a much more balanced brew than what you typically get from an American craft brewery.

GreenCard, Mar 26, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Served on tap into a mushroom shaped tulip glass at the Winking Lizard for the Glass of the Month

A- Poured a bright golden color, pretty hazy with a three finger fluffy head that left some chunky lace

S- Big pungent Belgium yeast aroma, lots of clove, medicinal notes, and some metallic notes

T- Big medicinal notes and Belgium yeast, some clove and spice, lots of alcohol in the taste

M- Pretty syrupy, decent carbonation, big warming, and some alcohol burn

O- I did not detect any hop presence for a Belgian IPA named Hop It. Pretty big medicinal notes and alcohol presence. Pretty average beer.

Hoptometrist, Feb 04, 2012

on tap into a pilsner.

pale cloudy yellow with a touch of head that leaves nice lacing.

very sweet aromas for an IPA (i see it's classified here as a belgian strong pale ale; the restaurant had it listed under IPA). either way, it's what would best be called a belgian IPA: some hops, but dominated by honey sweet aromas and belgian yeast.

sweet, barny flavors with mild hop flavors that help it finish clean. some fruity flavors as well.

mouthfeel is fairly mild with a light carbonation. nothing to complain about, but nothing spectacular either.

Prufrock, Jan 08, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a snifter, unknown bottled date.

This pours a hazy unfiltered yeast filed green tea like color (a murky light tan), with a decent white head which dissipates down to a thin layer. The initial nose is of alcohol, then I get some grassy notes, a hint of belgian yeast esters, and a little grainy malts, definitely not an in your face amount of hops. As much as the alcohol is in the nose, I'm nervous about how well its going to be hidden. The feel is medium with plenty of tingly carbonation. The taste is okay, the alcohol is pretty present as I feared. The taste is of grainy malts, a little hops, a long dry finish with a lingering alcohol after taste. To be honest I from the few Belgian IPAs I've tried, I prefer the ones made in America over the ones made in Belgium, I don't think they're used to the West Cost style of an insane amount of hops, this is much closer to an English IPA and is far less hoppy than even an American Pale Ale.

DavidST, Jul 24, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

I've been waiting awhile to take this $11.49 1pt 9oz bottle out of the fridge. I finally decided to try it. What could be better, a hoppy IPA with a Belgian touch!? Two of my favorite styles on the table! I took it out from a 42deg fridge, let it set in room temp for 30 min and popped the cork! That's where my excitement started to dwindle. Poured a hazy butterscotch color with a ridicules amount of tiny white bubble into a Duvel tulip glass. Don't get me wrong, I love a good head, but this was quite the over load. I literally had 6 inches of tight ice cream like head for every 1oz of beer I poured. I had to wait 5 minutes for the ball of foam to "produce" a mouthful of liquid. Smells much more of a banana cream, triple Belgian ale concoxion than an IPA. I don't like the way the beer is balanced between the creamy sweetness and the hoppy bitterness. Don't expect much from the IPA aspect. Definitely a let down in my book.

dhilltop2000, Dec 31, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours hazy orange with almost no head, seemingly very little carbonation, kinda strange, not sure if it was too cold or what. Barely a pop when corked, and none of the normal CO2 fog.

Nice belgian yeast aroma, fairly estery with some bubblegum notes. Some apricot, grapefruit, a little sweetness and a slight tickle of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is again strange, nearly flat, very very little effervescence. Taste of sweet fruit followed by hop bitterness and some alcohol, slightly fusely. Bitterness is fairly strong and forward. Picking up mostly pine from the hops.

I really don't know what to think about this, because I can't tell if we got a bad bottle, and I'm not sure we'll find another. So, I'll give it a little more than I normally would because I feel like somethings not right with this bottle.

Edit: Based on other's reviews, I really think our bottle was not properly carbonated for some reason.

BrewMonkey, Aug 11, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -14%

I have to go a bit against the grain here. This was decent but not great
The best quality this beer had was its head. Quite fluffy and billowing.
Smell is ok. Although i had just had a Surly Cynic Ale and so my nostrils and taste buds were a bit weary.
Mouthfeel is average, a bit on the light side.
Drinkablity for 9.5% was pretty good.

supercolter, Jun 18, 2007

750 ml corled and caged.

Appearance: Wow, suspension in the beer, weird globules that I have not seen in a very long time are everywhere in this beer's golden body. Head is massive, 3 inches at the pour. So much for the appearance.

Smell: Belgian yeastiness, grassy malt, also fruity with hops and a candy quality. Not bad.

Taste: Initially sweet and very malty, then tranitions into a big citric hop presence, which combines very oddly with the malt. This beer has a nice hop bite, but not very satisfying when compared with the new belgian hop bomb from chouffe.

Mouthfeel-Drinkability: Not good. The clumps of gelatenous material really make me think negative of it. I hope I just got a bad bottle, and maybe I will try it again and re-review.

Drinkability:

TastyTaste, May 17, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -14%

Had this the other night after work. Poured a light orange golden color with decent white head, plenty of lacing and sediment throughout. Smell was nothing special, similar to a lager but hoppier. Tasted mildly sweet, fruity and yeasty, with a slight hop kick. Pretty smooth and clean, just slightly oily. Didn't go down terribly easily, but could have two or three.

NewGeneric, Jun 14, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -14%

330mL bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Translucent and a bit hazy, gold tinged with orange. Sports one finger of white rocky head that throws a ton of lace.

S - Light fruit scent - apricot? - and spicy yeast, with a hint of white pepper. Hop aroma is very herbal. Delicate and inviting.

T - Fruit continues on the palate, along with a slight phenolic spice. Yeast character is more medicinal than I'd prefer. Surprisingly dry, which serves to accentuate the beer's assertive hop bitterness. The finish is odd and a tad chalky.

M - Smooth and medium-bodied, with nice bottle-conditioned carbonation.

D - Needs to have the yeast kept in check, I think, possibly a lower fermentation temp. The hops are a good complement to what I think the malt/yeast profile is going for. Alcohol is well hidden. I may have to give this another try in the future, but I'm not uber-impressed.

trbergman, May 13, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy golden-orange with a two finger thick and rich white head with excellent retention. Lacing was sparse, just slid down the glass.

Aroma: Citrus fruits, esters, slightly malty, barely detectable grassy hopiness.

Taste: Expected the hops to stand out a bit on this, but the taste was mostly orange/lemon zest and alcohol. Where's the hops?

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, but slightly watery. Mild alcohol burn.

Overall: Expected more. Anything with "Hop" in the name should deliver just that. This one didn't. The bottle reads "Superior Hoppy Blond Ale" and "Brewers excellent selection of hops". I don't get it. Perhaps the bomber is a better choice.

DelMontiac, Nov 05, 2010
Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)