Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My first experience with an Urthel was very pleasant, I can't wait to try more.

Appearance: This "blonde ale" poured a beautiful straw color with an extremely frothy off-white head. The head had great retention, in fact the majority of my last sip was head. There was heavy lacing on the glass. The beer was cloudy due to all of the yeast particulates in suspension, almost like snowflakes.

Smell: An unbelievable crisp lemon hoppy smell took me by surprise. I also caught aromas of green grapes, a light maltiness, and some pine or juniper (too hard to distinguish between the two).

Taste: Fruity flavors explode in your mouth, followed by a "green" taste. This yeast is very beery, and somewhat bitter on the finish. There was an astringent like aftertaste, possibly from the alcohol that I didn't really care for. Other than that, the taste was great.

Mouthfeel: Unbelievably smooth. A medium bodies ale that I thought felt chewy...almost like a fresh bread. The carbonation was very nice and the bitterness was mellowing for the palate.

Drinkability: A very likeable and easily drinkable ale. Doesn't stand up to the hoppiness of a true IPA or the sweet maltiness of a Belgium, but I believe serves best as a nice balance between the two.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

08 December 2008. 25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged. Opened with a welcome POP! The cork reads 26/07.

Poured into a large tulip glass it's a mainly clear (I can see some of my fingerprints through the glass but not all of them) deep golden body beneath a massive head of frothy bright white foam.

The aroma is spicy, citrusy (it's mainly orange peel, but then also lemonish, and even a hint grapefruit-like), grassy, vanilla-ish, clovey, and bready. It reminds me of some kind of cake I had as a child.

The fine bubbled carbonation rises in streams, continually supporting the head, and it's a little hard to get a proper sip at first. It tingles the lips and tongue. The flavor is overwhelming. I let the first sip pass and concentrate on the after-taste. Bitter. Dry. Herbal. Grassy. Spicy. Quite lingering. I need to bring up some saliva and run my tongue over my teeth to clean them. Quite the beer here!

OK, second sip. As I raise it to my nose it's spicy and chalky with a suggestion of clove in the back. The initial flavor is vanilla-ish and bitter at the same time. Grainy malt comes into play. There's a thin but sharp edge of fruitiness... apple, not quite green and tart, but not quite sweet and red either. Black pepper and spiciness swirl as it warms and becomes pillowy soft, seemingly expanding in the mouth to the point that it might burst out. There's more vanilla; and then grassy hops and some mild citrus into the swallow. There's a drizzle fo honey, and some herbs appear, followed by a rising bitterness and a sprinkling of more black pepper. It lingers. The flavor fades, but it remains. It's dry, earthy, and spicy. This is a massive beer, not in terms of strength and body, but in flavor.

As I progress through the glass the head dies down to a two or three millimeter layer, and I see that it's left a very thick initial ring of lace, followed by an empty spot of about 4 mm, and then a fairly solid wall of lace that's brighter in rings where each sip was taken. On the side of the glass where I'm sipping from it's a different case. There's a clear outline of where the beer has been crossing and leaving the glass, and in that channel the lace has formed a covering of tiny spots and streaks that resemble leopard skin. Quite nice!

As it warms it becomes sweeter and more candyish, and the pepper and spice are softened a little bit. I seem to detect some anise and cola flavor. The hops have become seemingly more leafy, or is that the spices, mainly the cardamom, coming out more. It's reached the right balance between malt and bitter and yeast and hops and it's just superb. Each sip goes on forever, and yet I somehow want more!

The alcohol is fairly well-cloaked, and amidst the pepperiness it would be impossible to pinpoint anyway, but you can feel it though! The carbonation seems to somehow help it get into your blood-stream, and after only three quarters of a large goblet I can feel it.

As to drinkability, in terms of consumption, you're not going to go too far with this one. If it doesn't take your taste buds hostage - and it probably will - it WILL shut you down with alcohol! So what we're talking about here is enjoyment. How much did you enjoy it, and how much would you like to take the roller-coaster ride that it is again, if you could!!!??? Well, I personally enjoy an all-out assault on the senses, and this one delivers! It's certainly not for everyday occasions, but for those times when something really special is in order I'd quite readily turn to this as an option.

Two thumbs up! Full throttle! Worth trying!

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer literally explodes out of this bottle. I had to put it in the sink for about 10 minutes until it settled. Pours hazy gold with a thick, white, rocky head. Peppery hops with spice and grass. Very floral. More spice and yeasty funkiness in the taste. Light malt with some sticky fruit and hops in the finish. Strange but refreshingly different as a Belgian outlook on an IPA.

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from an aged one year 750ml bottle into a standard pint glass. Cork was very lodged in there and took some work to come out.

Appearance- Beer pours still with no carbonation whatsoever. Beer itself is clear and golden with no hints of the yeast in the bottle. Lacing is hardly there. What happened to this beer?

Smell- Belgian style yeasts and malts, but nearly no hop. The hops are Saaz and very little else. A light citrus character comes forth, but by and large the smell is much like a pilsner with Belgian yeasty notes.

Taste- Belgian light fruits and a light earthy hop flavor that does taste a bit citusy. Not very IPA like even for a Belgian IPA. Malts are evenly balanced and very pilsner like. The Belgian yeast is pretty solid in there. Alcoholic phenols linger, but not thickly.

Mouthfeel- Lightly phenolic, bitter, but not like an IPA, more like a Belgian bacteria bitterness, cloying, light bodied, not warming at 9.5%? and nonexistent in carbonation. How did this happen?

Drinkability- I had one of these at new years last year and it was phenomenal. This year it is pretty lame. I don't know what happened, this one has about as much time on it as the last one. This one just didn't have the power the last one did.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From an 11.2 oz bottle with a cryptic "production code" into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!). Appears the color of hazed lemonade with a ton of precipitating carbonation not only from the nucleation cells, but from the sides of the glass as well, fueling a huge three finger eggshell head that sits immobile with lots of clingy lace. Nose of bready yeast and hints of sweet malt with citrus hops. Spices and a hint of alcohol. Taste is so complicated that it takes a few tries to sort things out. Initially it's a pleasant blend of warm spicy bread dough, with the citrus hops quickly breaking through. Bits of dark fruit and a definite alcohol burn on the back. Semi-sour, grapefruit finish. In the mouth, it's gentle and slick but crisp with plenty of gentle carbonation giving it a creamy yet crisp mouthfeel. Drinkability--well, I'll just say that after my first taste I immediately wished I had a magnum instead of an 11.2 oz bottle.

Overall: What is this? A Belgian Strong Pale with an insane amount of hops? I don't know and I don't care. (Or as the wife said, "Coriander... and like an IPA." Precisely.) Easily one of the top 10 brews I've tasted. I'm surprised I hadn't encountered this one earlier. A must try if you can find it.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her husband, the owners of Urthel, at Toronado in San Francisco two years ago. That was the first time I tried Hop It and now I seek it out any chance I can.

This time, I poured it from their wonderfully labeled 750ML bottle into my Czechvar guilded lipped tulip glass. A lovely wheat and gold color with active carbonation and a pillowy white foam which lingered throughout the session.

The nose was citrusy and beautiful; hoppy with grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and lemons. Simply spectacular.

The tatse was also citrusy with oranges and grapefruit, etc. Perfectly balanced. Chaulky from the yeast yet clean and perfect.

Mouthfeel was more of the same citrusy magic. Smooth and delightful.

This is simply the class of the style. Superior in every way. A must try for all BA's.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from 11,2 oz bottle into a snifter

A_Almost opaque dark tan-yellow color. The head starts thick like sea foam and a thin layer stays quite long

S_Roasty and nutty, almost like a fresh biscuit and without too much alcohol smell

T_Very balanced flavor with a little bit of wheat taste in there. Finishes somewhat strong and piney

M_Thick and somewhat chewy and carbonated the perfect amount

D_Alcohol definitely makes its presence known (except for the aroma) at 9,0ABV. I would drink a couple, but only provided I was at home

I will most likely buy this beer again and drink it slowly by my fireplace, especially as it gets colder outside

By the way, I noticed the listed brewer is Belgian but the bottle clearly indicates that it is Dutch - "Produced in the Netherlands" - does this sort of arrangement happen often? Because it seems a bit strange.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Light and cottony head, a full inch and a half of foam on a medium pour, very pale straw, noticeable sediment, lacing on the edges of the glass - 4.25, S: Crisp and dry, some candied sugar, yeasty, the Belgian component is evident, possibly some banana in the depths, a subtle fruity sweetness - 4.50, T: Herbal hops, quite bitter as you might expect from an IPA, this is a touch on the dry side, some raisin flavors - 4.00, M: 4.00, D: I thoroughly enjoy IPAs and Belgian Blondes so how can you go wrong, a very pleasant brew - 4.00

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

11.2 oz. bottle

Pours a slightly hazy yellow gold in color with some amber hues. A full finger of mousse-like white head lingers and leaves some nice lacing. Great aroma, yeast, fruit, spices, and lemony hops. No real indication of the alcoholic strength that lies within. Taste is ok. The good: A good malt backbone, a good amount of hops, and a solid bitterness. The Bad: The hops are a bit too resiny in my opinion and, when combined with the substantial alcohol presence, they take on a medicinal character that is out of style and unwelcome. Good mouthfeel, medium-full body with a moderate amount of carbonation yields a very creamy brew. Definite alcohol presence. Drinkability is ok, the medicinal quality in the taste really drags this beer down.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

I was really excited once I tasted this beer for the first time.

The beer was a golden honey color that was rather hazy. There was a foamy white head that some a bit of retention and demonstrated great lacing.
Aroma was Spicy and very fruity. Banana tones along with other fruits.

Wonderful complex and spicy flavor. Banana/creamy very fruity. Near the end you can taste the alcohol. A lot going on here and one to enjoy slowly.

Bright mouth feel with medium body. A warming sense from the alcohol.

Really nice drinkability.

Excellent beer.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one has been in my fridge probably since June and it's now Halloween. Belgian style beers kinda scare me. Plus this beer has sediment and floaties which I know are supposed to be there, but they scare me. So I got a, in my mind, a scary brew for a scary nite.

A - blond, straw yellow and a crest white smile, umm I mean head. Floaties. Lots of them. Almost like pulp in orange juice. Freaks me out.

S - Real yummy smell. Orange and citrus and they're my favorite. There's a fresh hop smell about it too.

T - Mellow and malty. Maybe it was good that I've been scared of this beer for so many months. I"m not finding too much of the Belgian weirdness that I was anticipating. This is a good thing...

M - Some aftertaste that seems to stick to the back of your mouth. I think its where all the hops are. Malty up front, with a hop kick in the back. Small amount of alcohol tingle if you look for it.

D - Drinks almost too easy for the %ABV. Maybe I won't be so scared of this one next time I see it offered up. It would be even more drinkable if the cork wasn't such a bastard and required the use of pliers.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This poured a clear light gold with sediment chunks and lots of white head. It smelled complex, like strong wild yeast, vinegar, lemon pine-sol, grassy hops, and honey malt. It tasted like salty wild yeast, bitter lemon and grassy hops, sour wheat and seaweed, with spicy cider notes and subtle caramel malt. It was thick with lots of carbonation, and a lasting bitter/sour aftertaste with some alcohol warming. Overall this was a very unique beer. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but it certainly had a complex and interesting scent and flavor. It was pretty clean, but was more of a sipping beer due to the extreme flavors. Some aging might help bring out more of the malt to balance the crazy yeast and hops.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Had this beer at Cooper's Bar in Chicago. It was poured from a 11.2oz bottle. Poured a light hazy orange with a big white fluffy head. The aroma was very fruity, typical of a Belgian. When I took my first drink I thought the hops were going to stand out more, but they only mildly appeared as an after taste. For a beer called "Hop It" I was a little disappointed, but it was hard to believe that this guy was 9.5%... well masked.

I'm glad I tried it but I won't be reaching for it again.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle

A_A mildly aggressive pour yields a slightly cloudy golden amber liquid with a decent two finger head that fills up the snifter. There is decent retention as it settles in nicely as a fluffy covering with strips of non symetric lace.

S_The initial whiff gives a strong dose of grassy and slightly spicy noble hops. Behind this is some freshly risen dough. A bit of skunk there as well. The bottle could be a bit old as I am unsure of the dating system.

T_Grassy notes up front give way to Greek Easter bread. The hops dominate though. The finish is pure bitterness with no other distinct quality. This manages to overwhelm everything else and detracts from an otherswise pleasant experience. There is a bit of fusel alcohol as well.

M_Lighter bodied with a sharp carbonation typical in a tripel.

D_There are some positives here but the underlying bitterness just proves to be too much. I am big fan of IPAs and 2xIPAs but it really doesnt work here. I am not sure if they over used bittering hops or the hops they chose just don't make sense in such large quantities.

A strange looking dwarf on the label is a little imposing...oh well.

Huge white head, with good retention. Cascading golden bubbles in the orange-yellow liquid.

Sweet hop smell and citrus notes. Slightly yeasty.

Malty initial flavor, minimal almond flavor, big hop balance. The flavor has some yeasty aftertaste.

Dry feel with a burst of carbonation.

Great body, big hop flavor, very appealing.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Served in a long stemmed goblet at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA this brew shows a light amber gold with a decent fuzzy white head and lacing that doesn't quit. The aroma is grassy alcohol hops, generally a solid Belgian wheat and yeast. The flavor is true to the aroma and is smoothly carbonated, clean and leaves a nice sweet almost buttery citrus hops coating on the tongue and bites a bit at the finish. Alcohol is fairly prominent but I would still say that this drinks reasonably well. Very nice.

this beer is a lightly hazed gold with a moderate white head that laces a little on it's way down the glass.
the aroma contains a grainy sort of maltiness with some grassy, piney and herbal hoppiness. some fruitiness is detectable with notes of candied pineapple mostly. a fairly standard belgian pale ale type aroma + hops.
the taste has good deal more complexity than the aroma lets on with some of those standard belgian pale flavors as in the aroma, but with the addition of a slight cotton candy type flavor, white pepper and some some green herbal hops, a lot like you might find in an english IPA. a little biscuity like one too. a moderate hop bitterness creates some dryness lending to it's drinkability.
in the mouth it's medium bodied with moderate, but fine carbonation.
the drinkability is quite good it's got an interesting grainy/hoppy thing going on, making it very easy drinking. why, i'm not sure.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

A: This beer poured a straw/yellow color with a huge head and great lacing. The head did fall quickly.

S: This beer is hoppy. Citrus, sweet and alcohol aromas are picked up as well.

T: Bitter initially. Definitely like an overly hopped Belgian Blonde ale. It is quite complex but manages to pull off a great balance.

M: The mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. It is light and airy - almost fluffy. There is a hint of alcohol.

D: Great balance and complexity make this an easy drinking brew. It also made it one of the hardest to describe....but I'd definitely recommend it.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale gold with a fairly large persistent head. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Aroma is all citrusy and herbal hops. Lemons. Taste has a light background sweetness throughout. Phenolic, yeasty, and spicy. Again lemons with a touch of bitterness. Finishes rather dry. Medium bodied. Pretty drinkable considering its strength, although this is not something I'd want to have everyday. Very nice overall.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Poured out a clear, golden-yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. It left small trails of lace.

S - It smelled of pine, grapefruit and floral notes. Also, a nice grain aroma.

T - It tasted spicy and peppery with hints of pine. It also had a nice roasted caramel malt flavor and a bitter finish.

M - It was sharp, crisp and somewhat dry. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a good Belgian IPA. Complex flavors with a nice finish.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Urthel- Hop-It

Thanks to KennyO for this 1.

A- Light hazy orange with a big frothy head. Solid lacing down the glass.
S- Light citrus hops with a spicy malt aroma.
T- Spicy peppery malt with a hint of wheat, alcohol, and pine.
M- Dry and spicy with a hot alc. touch. Sweet malty finish.

Overall- Let this warm up a bit. Flavors seem drowned out when its colder. Nice, a bit boozy.
(thanks Ken)

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Nice orange color with a lot of suspended "something". It smelled slightly earthy, tasted spicy at first and then maybe some fruit but not what I would consider truly hoppy. Interesting beer but I'm not sure the whole "belgian IPA" style really fits here. It tastes like a belgian and not and IPA so...

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into a flaired tulip glass a froathy white head exploded over the sides of the glass,cloudy,nice golden color, tight streams of very tiny bubbles cascading all up the sides of the glass. Very good retention leaviing a lasting pillowy layer atop the beer with thick chunks of lace down the glass.

Clean spicy aromas grassy and citrusy,hefe-like spice notes with sweet breaddy aromas as the warms.

Spicy tastes upfront followed by a rush of earthy booziness,yet the booziness is well-played.sweet sugary maltiness with a lingering dry grassy fade.

Light and zesty mouthfeel,very drinkable espesially for the 9.5% had booziness,yet not overbearing and letting all the oter flavors come through,just the way i like it. Could even enjoy this beer and a hot summer day,which I did.
A lot going in here wish i had another bottle for this review,will definatly pick more of this one up someday. Thanks to Kwakwhore for the send avalible in my area just never picked and up,but i will be now.

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a bright, glowing golden/honey color with a monstrous fluffy white head, thick, clingy sheets of lacing, and lots of suspended floaties in the beer. Smell slightly dominated by the Belgian yeasty aromas, with some grassy hops and citrus in the background. Taste is very "green", herbal hop taste, slightly medicinal bitterness, leafy/grassy tastes...again, "green". Very actively carbonated, somewhat drying, with a medium amount of lingering hop bitterness along the back and sides of the tongue. It's tasty. I'd try this one again, could be a great compliment to a lot of different foods.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

on tap at the maproom in chicago and a sizeable chalice - reviewed from cellphone notes.

I feel like i might enjoy this one more out of a bottle - too bad they are so danged expensive.

appearance: syrupy light golden colour in my chalice, fluffy white head with decent retention

smell: hops are a bit tame but maybe the massive crowd of people in the maproom had hindered my sense of smell...nice layers of yeast and white pepper spice

taste: with the word "hop" in the name, i guess i was just looking for more hops. This seems more like a jazzed up belgian pale to me with the focus being on providing a strong yeast base with mild pepper spice, a syrupy character, and then a dash of hops

mouthfeel: syrupy and yeasty

drinkability: just dandy

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)