Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005)
3.38/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle into a tulip. Picked this up awhile ago at the Foodery and have been waiting to try it.

Pours a tremendous white, foamy, pretty solid head that is very slow to reduce itself. The body is a little darker than straw-ish, but distinctly golden. It looks more like a saison or a belgian strong pale ale that it does an IPA. Should be a real interesting drink.

Yeah, again, you can tell that this is a Belgian beer. The yeast smell is absolutely there and very strong. There is some extremely underlying hops within the aromas- not the American pine hops but a almost-spearmint hops. Some orange peel as well, which I like. A really inviting, really soft, warm aroma.

To be honest, this is a disappointment, and I will have to get another one of these beers to confirm this. With that said, when I drink this beer, I think penicillin. Especially in the finish I get the taste of antibiotics; there is some hop, for sure, and there's some nice orange-type-elements in the mid palate, but overall, I just get a ton of penicillin, and that's extremely disappointing.

Really tight mouthfeel. Nice long finish, grabs the mid palate especially well. Not the entire mouth-grippingness of some other beers, but you know, a really good beer in that regard. Not the smoothest of beers, that is for sure. Some bite when you swallow it, and the medicinal aftertaste overpowers a little.

I plan on having one more of these, that's to make sure this beer was not a dud. It's pretty hard, at this time, although it may just be because I'm down on this beer, to imagine myself drinking more than one of these beers. The medicine is just too pronounced, and too be honest, it's a deceptively boozy beer, and I think that hurts it as well- the finish is so big that it's easy to forget that this is a 9.5% abv beer.

This beer disappoints me, and I hope that this bottle was bad, and that what I got was just bad luck. Really, I hope that's what it is. I can't write anymore about the subject. Words fall short. I'm genuinely bummed.

bigeyedfish, Nov 18, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

First Belgian IPA. Wow, upon the pour, there's no head. My Duvel tulip can't even coax much out of it. Little head, no retention. I think this is a little flat, considering the hops in here.

Smell is a resiny, sweaty-sock hop smell - I don't know what American variety this is, but I've smelled this before. Interesting and not at all as bad as the description would imply.

Taste, Feel - Oh yeah, we're definitely talking about some American hops here... nice citrus, floral aspect very reminscent of a West Coast IPA. Triple-like alcohol is definitely present as well. Feel is pretty limp watery...I think I got a bad bottle. I feel bad about reviewing this in a clearly compromised state, because this definitely shows promise. I'll pick up another bottle and revise my review.

Drinkability is great...hey, it's nearly flat, it has the feel of a vodka and cranberry, not a beer....hehe - this bottle was not cheap enough to be a drain pour, so I'm going to soldier through. Sorry Urthel - I'll make it up to ya.

Patrick999, Nov 16, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Huge 3-finger, rocky head. Great retention and lacing. Hazy deep gold body.

S: Yeast, spice, lemon, and a little malt. A bit light.

T: Sweet up front, spicy throughout, bitter & slightly alcoholic towards the back. Too much spice for me.

M: Medium bodied & light carbonation. Sticky finish with sweetness and alcohol present in the aftertaste.

D: With all the spice I don't enjoy, I'm finding it difficult to finish the bottle.

OKCNittany, Nov 15, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a yellow/golden color with absolutely no head whatsoever. I don't know if their was something wrong with this bottle, but really no head at all.

Smelled of citrus. Some very faint pine and a good helping of yeast.

I expected overblown hops, but instead I got a more balanced beer. Some faint pine followed by a slight sweetness on the back palate.

Mouthfeel was really nice. Nice creamy, rich mouthfeel. Lack of carbonation made for a very drinkable beer.

brantadid, Nov 10, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Partly cloudy blonde with an enormous long-lasting white head. I would not consider this a hoppy beer when considering American hop monsters. This falls more along the lines of a very good blonde Tripel. There is a spicy honey aroma contributing to it’s sweetness and containing a strong alcohol presence. Hop character disappears as soon as the beer starts to warm up. This has a typical citrus hop and pale malt flavors of good blonde triples. Contains some clever spicy notes, keeping it from being just another generic Tripel. This one is way above average for a European style IPA.

jclzony, Nov 03, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

This is a surprisingly good Belgian and somewhat unique. It pours a cloudy yellow with lots of head, lacing and retention. The smell is fruity esters and lots of lemon, clove, and honey. This is a thick and full bodied beer that starts out as a very typical syrupy Belgian blonde replete with the bananas, cloves, lemon, citrus, fruity esters, and complex yeasts. By the mid point, things change a bit and the hops really do kick in it becomes more of a tangy vanilla cream and slightly bitter ale. There is a rather prodigious aftertaste that does compromise the drinkability. As for the alcohol content, I would not have known this was a whopping 9.5 ABV unless I looked closely at the bottle. This beer does a remarkable job at masking a high ABV. This is a special beer well worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

albern, Oct 12, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a rich golden color with tons of tiny bubbles rising quickly to the massive, fluffy, and sticky head. Lots of plateaus on the head and leaves some rings of raised lacing. Slightly chill-hazed. Aroma is big on the hops for sure. Lots of herbal and floral character comes right out at you. This is mixed with some bready pale malts and honey. Alcohol lets itself be known, but it really just helps to round it all out. Slight peach and banana esters come out as well. Lots of honey sweetness kicks off the flavor as it intermingles with light, crackery malts. Some white grape leads into a hop profile that is at once floral and fruity. I don't know what kind of hops they are using, but I'm getting big jasmine notes (the best kind). The sweetness continues on toward the finish, where the spotlight is taken up by some mild warming alcohol and a little dry closer. Mouthfeel is moderate in weight, but leans just a touch to the fuller side of things. Carbonation is vibrant, but not violent. Delicious beer, but the overall sweet character and hefty ABV keep the drinkability down just the slightest.

goochpunch, Oct 04, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

This is a review of the bottled form of this brew.

The only major difference between the on-tap form and the bottle is in the flavor. I actually prefer this brew from the bottle. The yeast character is definitely more subdued out of the bottle than it is on-tap, and far more crisp.

MiguelMandingo, Oct 01, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Head that lasts forever with bits of sediments speckled throughout and super-thick. Light gold color

Beautiful Belgian smell with a very interesting strong hop aroma and a bit of alcohol.. Talk about a hybrid!

Wow. The only reason this isn't a five is because it's not to style. With a taste like this, though, who cares? It's got all the Belgian sweetness at the front of your mouth and then the hops join in. By the end of the sip they lead the show and hide the huge ABV very well.

Coating like a Belgian, but a tiny bit drying because of the hop factor. Makes you want to sip it faster than your normal Belgian fare.

bboven, Sep 23, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a nice opaque dark honey golden with a VERY thick and persistent head - it is thicker than B.S. in Washington and stays better than whipping cream on hot coco. Aroma is strong and mainly malty with a touch of sweetness and a strong hop undertone. Flavor balances hop and malt components, with a little malt sweetness and some hop fruitiness, and a touch of bitter. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable ale.

Cyberkedi, Sep 14, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Urthel Hop-It
11.2 oz brown bottle
Served in a St. Feuillien goblet glass

An impressive looking beer right of the start. A marvelous head forms on top with excellent sticky lacings that cover the goblet.

Pours a dark golden yellow with a bronze haze.

Whiffs of honey cough drops, fresh peaches and citrus. A tad floral overall as well.

Flavors of rock candy and sweet honey with a grainy backbone. The hop punch is right up front flirting with a twangy citrus finish. Hints of lime & oranges.

This a solid belgian beer without question. The 9.5% is very well hidden and the flavors complex. Reminds me in many ways of another beer I really enjoyed - Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA.

Hibernator, Sep 07, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Just arrived in Texas. I had a heck of time pulling the cork out. Finally had to grab it with my teeth and pull. But a wonderful bouquet of hops immediately follow.

Served into a wide Val-Dieu chalice, it made a great pour: a somewhat hazy orange-amber color with a half of soft but thick foam, which coats the glass with a nice lacing. Long-lasting and very aromatic nose, with soft floral hops mixing with a fruity, vanilla yeast character and a slightly spicy, herby background.

The taste is indeed loaded with hops, highly bitter and loaded with noble hop flavor, floral, nearly minty. Malt is subdued, with the balance of the flavor coming from the fruity yeastiness. There's a small bit of oxidation, but it doesn't distract much. The alcohol adds a slight pepperiness to the otherwise dry finish.

Excellent mouthfeel, with a load of carbonation and a soft, creamy texture.

Not as complex as the Chouffe Belgian IPA... it reminds me a bit of a very hoppy Duvel. Very nice.

allengarvin, Aug 31, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle poured into New Belgium Chalice

A - Cloudy straw color with a beautiful 1 inch eggshell colored head that developed excellent lacing and rockiness.

S - Grapefruity hops with the requisite Belgian yeast spice/funkiness. Good touch of sweet grainy scent as well. Lemony citrus stands out. Very enticing.

T - Kicks things off with a tart, well carbonated sensation. Granny smith apple contributes to the tartness. Belgian spice is well represented. Aftertaste remains slightly tart with good amount of dryness.

M - High carbonation with a light to medium body. Drying aftertaste and slight mouth coating feel.

D - An excellent combination of styles, and a trendsetter among belgians. Intensely drinkable despite its high alcohol content (9.5%). I've been laying this one down for probably 8 months at least, and its quite tasty, so don't be afraid to do the same. Pick some up as soon as you can!

gmcfarre, Aug 30, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Looks like I forgot how to pour a Belgian, 1/4" of beer, 6" of head. Try again, gold with streams of carbonation, big fluffy head.

Smell: Definitely funk. Earthy, vegetable, wet hay.

Taste: A little sweetness comes through then gets overpowered by spicy hops. Some peppery notes, almost seems sour at times.

Drinkability: Not quite my cup of tea (or glass of beer, I suppose) but ok.

I had this right after it came out a few years back and really liked it then. However, this time there wasn't as much sweetness and Belgian yeast flavors as I remembered. The hops seemed to take over on this go-around.

Mdog, Aug 26, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Part Two of my "I don't have work until 2:00 tomorrow" Belgian IPA session.

Appearance: The pour is a fiery light orange with a large white head.

Smell: There's quite a bit of grassy and floral hops in the aroma to go along with Belgian yeast and a hint of spice and fruit.

Taste: Holy crap, the spices and hops hit you in the face. These hops taste American with grass and pine. Belgian yeast plays a lesser role and pale malts bring up the rear.

Mouthfeel: It's slightly lighter than medium-bodied with a ton of carbonation.

Drinkability: This might be the most aggressive Belgian IPA. It certainly took more of a page from the West Cost than the other ones I've tried.

goschool, Aug 22, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

I knew this would pour a monster head, so I grabbed my handy New Belgium snifter – it corralled all of the volcanic white head. Nice chalky rivers of lace.

Whoo, what an old style farm house funk for an aroma, then is morphs into the standard Belgium yeast and candy cane – along with a spicy pop of hops to finish and round it out. This is a smorgasbord of styles, all noticeable and distinct. Even a bit of sour apple for kicks.

Sharp, crisp and dry, and a fizzy carbonation body – I’d go for more, but the $3.50 a stubby 11.2oz bottle is a tad pricey.

Vancer, Aug 12, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Served at cellar temp from 12 oz amber stubby.

Pours with a huge whipped cream head, rocky and persistent. Looks very cloudy and golden like a weizenbock.

Aroma is very funky, spicy and sweet. No detectable hop aroma.

Flavor is peppery and yeasty.

Mouthfeel is effervescent from the carbonation, leaves an aspirin-like bitterness on the back of the tongue. Hard to believe it's any more than 50 IBU.

Drinkability is poor, hard to finish this one. There are higher alcohol beers that go down a lot more smoothly in comparison.

BattleRoadBrewer, Aug 03, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Cloudy golden body, thick whipped cream head. Very nice!

Nose is an odd blend of Belgian funk with some sweetness, not really any clear hops here...

Flavor is mildly bitter, but not anywhere near 80 IBUs to my taste-buds. Spicy and flavorful, it's not really an IPA or a typical Belgian. Not at all what I expected, but still OK.

Mouthfeel is zesty and very highly carbonated.

Quenching and drinkable.

ghostwalker, Aug 03, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. White foamy head that leaves a descent amount of lacing. Color is a slightly hazy apricot, Visible carbonation activity.

Smell is very intense, but not overwhelming. The hops really stand out, in fact I got a strong whiff of hops as soon as I cracked the top off. From the bottle it is piney, but from the glass it is more grassy. What a difference pouring makes. Taste is also very hoppy, but balanced. It's not trying to stab you through the tongue. It also has a pleasant white grape blended in.

Mouthfeel has a lighter body and a clean finish. It seems very refreshing at first, and then the ABV sneaks in. Very tasty and I will be enjoying this one again.

bort11, Jul 24, 2007
3.93/5  rDev 0%

One pint 9.4 oz brown bottle with the caged cork. Great informative label.

The beer pours a cloudy yellow with a dense white head. Tons of lacing.

The nose is fruity, spicy, yeasty and a bit flowery in the best possible way.

Given that this is 80 IBUs,, it is a lot less bitter than I thought it would be. The brewer has done a great job of balancing all those hops with a thick matly backbone. I get white pepper, green apples, flowers and some of that different Flemish slightly sour funk. While the Saz hops may only be 18% of the total, they add that distinct peppery taste. After I’ve had a few sips, a bit of citrus taste emerges. More spice (clove) late. Always bordering on sour.

The mouth is slightly thick with a touch of slickness. This is an easy drinker that is a great one to savor. Not an everyday beer for me, but this is one to revisit on a regular basis. Well done!

Redrover, Jul 18, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Well... there's not a "Belgian IPA" category in the bjcp guidelines, so I'll just tell you what I think of it, not how well it stacks up to what it's "supposed" to be like. (dan) :-)

A- Cloudy light orange with an initial two fingers of head that settles to a single layer and leaves strange... spots, I suppose, of areas with bigger bubbles. Looks like an appaloosa's hindquarters.

S- Wow. Tons of citrus and yeast. Lemon, spice, yeast, pale malt, malt vinegar, pine, and an overall initial impression of sourness, but a good one. Reminds me of when I reviewed a five-year-old allagash tripel. I hope it doesn't taste like that though. As it warms, it changes a bit... remember the smell of fresh cookie dough? Not as it cooks, but the dough. Floury, slightly sour, but then really sweet... That's what it smells like.

T- Once again, the most fitting word is wow. I don't really know if I like it or not. Some sweet malt, some honeycomb, but an overwhelming sourness and bitterness, along with some musk and alcohol. The grains seem to be lost in the shuffle... it tastes like a good witbier, but concentrated and with a hint of vinegar added. Malt comes out a bit more the more you drink it, as it becomes less overwhelming as your taste gets accustomed to it. I decided I do like it, but it's still crazy. There's some lingering bitterness with the sour, and just a hint of honey in the finish as well.

M- Bubbly, light, harshly carbonated, like a perrier. Finish is a bit dry.

D- I highly reccomend that you try this. You may not like it, but it's certainly an experience that every beer lover should have. I'll have it again, even at $5 per 12 oz bottle. That should tell you something...

khiasmus, Jul 17, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

Served on tap at Brouwer's in Seattle, came in the proper branded glassware. A very light tea-like yellow with a mondo bright white head that just sat atop the beer forever causing me to have to wipe my nose off after the first few sips. Smell is soft and very herbal/floral and fresh. An interesting style that I had not tried before, still retains those typical belgian notes but this is even more abundant than expected with herbal/medicinal qualities. Overall, interesting and fun but finishing the whole glass became a slight chore.

masikon, Jul 08, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

from the Blue Light a couple months ago

a: A meringue like eggshell head fills my big ass snifter, receding very slowly to leave a nice layer. Light lacing clings to the glass. The beer is a bright golden in color, with sparse floaters.

s: Smells damn good...almost like a farmhouse saison that's been hopped up a bit. Gently sweet, candylike pale Belgian malts carry subtle yet intoxicating waves of ethanol and a sharp, spicy hop aroma. Fabulous barnyard funk...I mean really really good and perfectly matched to the hop and malt profiles.

m: Mouth-filling, smooth carbonation and a lighter medium body. Quite nice.

t: Pale Belgian malts under a healthy does of American style hops, delicately floral and slightly piney into the finish. A bit mineral in the early part of the sip, adding to the depth and drinkability. Nice touch of funk flirts around after swallowing, with a high bitterness for a beer from the area coming in.

d: easy as pie...the smell and taste scores certainly approach being worthy of a bump upwards could do it. This one got me thinking of a BIPA modeled after a Two Hearted or Mash House Hoppy Hour...mmm

blackie, Jul 07, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Corked and caged bomber from Greenlife Grocery in Asheville, NC.

Pours a straw color with a MASSIVE white head that takes 3-5 minutes to subside. Leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is farmy with corriander and cloves. Taste is funky, with definite belgian qualities. Typical wheats, cloves, corriander, banana with earthy hops adds up to a definite funk. Mouthfeel is a little on the light side with over carbonation. Fine enough to drink.

Duster72, Jul 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured froma 11.2 oz bottle with a 9.5% abv. This is a Belgium IPA here man. Good clear straw color with lots of creamy white suds that are already leaving lacing behind.
Smell is like a great belgium wheat beer with corriander and clove and banana. Weird is the operative word here. Still a great smelling IPA.
Taste is very sweet like some banana Ice cream. The Hops are in there for sure but this is a very strong beer here so they are in the backgound. The clove is here as well as the alcohol burn. Fantastic drink. Mabey just a bit too much alcohol though.
Mouthfeel is clean and refreshing with just a tad of oilyness to the finish.
Not a session beer but still a very drinkable brew.

peabody, Jun 25, 2007
Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)