Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Golden, almost pilsner in quality.

S - Grassy hop smell, a slight rubbing alcohol flavor.

T - Very mildy hopped for a hoppy beer. Kind of Saison in character. Because it's belgian it gets away with it. Very herbal.

M - Medium bodied. A softer mouthfeel than i expected. Doesn't really linger at all.

D - Very, very high. It's easy going down and I could see myself having a few big bottles.

An interesting offering from a Belgian brewery. Definitely worth a try. cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Pours a golden cider color with 1 finger of tight white head.

S- Scent is not hoppy, but rather similar to Orval. Citrus and belgian yeast is most noticeable.

T- Taste like a good belgian pale ale. sour lemon is first with some subtle sweetness. Almost like a mixture of a classic Belgian strong pale ale and a tripel.

M- Medium in body with quite a bit of carbonation.

D- I am glad to say I tried it, but after reading the back of the bottle about how the brewer visited the pacific northwest and was inspired by the IPA's to make this beer, I was expecting something else.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

From a 1pint, 9 fl oz bottle copped caged and corked from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa, this superior Belgian IPA is right up there with Chouffe Dobbelen IPA as one of the best renditions of this remarkable style... Although a bit pricey, this Belgian was worth every penny... impressive frothy and foamy head lays atop a cloudy, hazy, straw-colored appearance with plenty of visible carbonation... smell is complete with light, fresh, hops, citrus, and lemons... Bubble-gum flavor with fresh pines, hops, fruit, and perhaps a bitter of coriander and spices with a honey and cream taste... exquisite, top-notch taste... I could drink this all night...mouthfeel was like butter... light, full-of-flavor, rich, with a nice sprucy, bubbly feel... overall easy drinkability and the 9.5% ABV is only slightly noticeable behind a wonderful cornucopia of rich, satisfying flavors... hands down, one of the better brews I've ever sampled... great stuff... looking forward to sampling other beers from this terrific brewery... Definitely recommended...

4.43/5  rDev +13%

I've just had my first glass of Hop-it, and I must say, it's fantastic.

A - Poured a beautiful light golden color with a fluffy white head that settled down into a semi-present ring. Very light bits of lacing down the glass.

S - Strong hop scents with hints of lemongrass, bright flowers and to me, green olives.

T - A strong rush of sweet hops, mixing well with the nose. Envelopes the whole mouth with a sweet, then bitter hop flavor before ending into a suprisingly clean finish.

M - Lightly carbonated, with a smooth flowing texture the rolls across the tongue. Flavors hit all 4 receptors.

D - An excellent beer, but I feel that I couldn't have too many of them in a row. The finished glass leaves me satisfied, so too much more would start to weigh down on me.

(also, The glass that I had was a little expensive. The bar manager said that it's almost 6 times the usual cost for a keg... I stopped complaining)

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Served at The Abbey Bar at Appalachian Brewing Co., Harrisburg, PA on 1/17/08. Bottle into tulip glass.

A - Cloudy golden body with two-fingers of creamy, bubbly head that retained very well for the whole ride. Plenty of carbonation and lots of beautiful lacing around the glass. Very attractive looking beer all-around.

S - Wow! Lots going on with this one. I'm picking up a very distinct sweet, crisp apple frutiness paired with citrus and grassy hop notes. Nice aroma of spicy Belgian yeast, fruity esters and sweet grapes/white wine as well. A bit of alcohol also pushes its way through.

T - Begins with a spicy yeast aspect with lots of apple flavor and a very pleasant citrus and grassy hop flavor, much like a pils. Finishes bitter but also sweet, much like a white wine. Overall, very fruity and spicy flavors combine with juicy hops to create a very unique and delicious taste.

M - Medium to full body with smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Combines the spicy aspects of a Belgian, the hoppiness of an IPA and crispness of a pils, all with a white wine aspect. Bittnerness lingers on the palate for quite a while, but is paired with a bit of fruit tartness.

D - Extremely complex brew for sure. Very impressed! Lots of flavors and textures coming out in this brew. All of the flavors blend quite well together. Could perhaps use a bit more of a malt backbone, but otherwise a truly unique concoction. Fantastic!

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

A-Poured a yellowish/gold color with a slight haze and a 2" white clumpy head.Good lacing.

S-The smell was of spicy/earthy hops.I also got a fruity smell of banana and cloves(just like a hefe)The background was sweet malts and Belgian candi-sugar.

T-First taste was spicy hops,light fruit and a peppery/earthy bitter finish.The taste of alcohol was present as it warmed.Had a very unique taste,all Belgian,malts,sugars and yeast.

M-Crisp,very dry mouthfeel.Good carbonation,medium bodied.

D-Very unique beer,very drinkable even at 9.5%.Harder too find but was worth it.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

Out of a 750ml corked and caged bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with orange highlights. The head is a decent tight white head that left some real nice lacing on my Chimay glass. The taste is typical Belgian. Some nice barn yard funk, like a saison; some nice Belgian candi sugar, like a BSPA. It also has a tart apple aroma. The taste starts off with palt malt and candi sugar which is quickly followed by a wave of corriander. There is a light, light bitter hop. Also, there is a noticable fusel alcohol flavor. The feel is moderate and quite fizzy, the finish is on the sweeter side. Definitely a very nice golden Belgian brew. The hops really aren't there. Not sure if this brew needs a 9.5% ABV, which definitely limits the drinkability. Would like to try a side by side with Piraat. Definitely worth a try for the curious beer drinker.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

A- After first reading some reviews, I gently poured it into an Ommegang goblet. About a fingers-worth of crackling white head that fairly-quickly dissipated into small clumps of medium sized bubbles. Color is a hazy medium gold.

S- Sweet, apricots and pears come to mind. For being called Hop-It, not too many hop aromas I recognize.

T- Hops appear late in the game and stay around long after the swallow. Initial, fleeting sweetness is crushed by hops.

M- Crisp, lots of carbonation, I'm having trouble reconciling this one. Not a whole lot of balance.

D- Not my favorite. I'm not left longing for the next sip.

Like kosmoraios below, my bottle has a new label, although it still says "The Original Hop-It" With so many stellar reviews, I wonder if the recipe has changed a bit.

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

1-9-08: Watching "Talk to Me" while reviewing this gem.

I poured this gorgeous beer into my De Garre snifter. It had a huge egg shell head that left lacing over the entire snifter. It had a nice bright yellowish-orange body that was semi-transparent.

A nice herbal hop aroma with bits of dried apricot. Very pleasant indeed.

All the flavor of a typical Belgian with a nice rounded hop body. A big hop presence, but it doesnt interfere with the other flavors. Light fruit, biscuit and glorious hops; herbal again with a bit of earth. One of the best beers I have ever had.

The moutfeel is fairly light a bit grainy.

I will get more of this beer as soon as I can. This is like no other Belgian IPA i have ever had. It is amazing.

8-26-09 - edit:

Enjoying this beer on a beautiful Nashville evening on my veranda; I cant believe I waited this long to try this beer for a second time. It is still amazing, if not better. I also havent seen "Talk to me" since I last had Hop-it, and I should because it also was a great movie.

R.I.P. De Garre snifter. The best beer glass I have ever had passed (fell on the floor) not long after the initial 1/08 review.

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

The bottle I have looks different than the pic, and it touts itself as a "Superior Hoppy Blond Ale" on the bottle. There is no mention of a Belgian style or that it's an IPA.

Pours a crisp, clear golden-blonde into my Duvel tulip glass. White foamy head rises to about 3 fingers before quickly settling back down, leaving moderate lacing on all sides of the glass.

Aroma is of pears, figs, malt. Sugars are evident in the nose, very sweet, fruity nose.

Taste is distinctly Belgian Blonde (golden) ale. Very sweet, fruity flavor with a weirdly nutty finish. There are sour apples, underripe plums. Alcohol becomes very evident as the ale warms. Hops .. I guess.. but it's not an IPA by any stretch.

Mouthfeel is overcarbonated and oily. Not a very drinkable beer due to it's high and poorly-masked alcohol content. It tastes like a Unibroue beer. Nice try, Urthel ... not horrible, but time for a revamp.

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

I've been waiting awhile to take this $11.49 1pt 9oz bottle out of the fridge. I finally decided to try it. What could be better, a hoppy IPA with a Belgian touch!? Two of my favorite styles on the table! I took it out from a 42deg fridge, let it set in room temp for 30 min and popped the cork! That's where my excitement started to dwindle. Poured a hazy butterscotch color with a ridicules amount of tiny white bubble into a Duvel tulip glass. Don't get me wrong, I love a good head, but this was quite the over load. I literally had 6 inches of tight ice cream like head for every 1oz of beer I poured. I had to wait 5 minutes for the ball of foam to "produce" a mouthful of liquid. Smells much more of a banana cream, triple Belgian ale concoxion than an IPA. I don't like the way the beer is balanced between the creamy sweetness and the hoppy bitterness. Don't expect much from the IPA aspect. Definitely a let down in my book.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a hazed gold with very little head that falls quickly to nothing. Massive amount of lacing at first. Nose is an evident alcohol and aged cheese skins. Yeah. That is what I said. Flavor is thick on hops, but the sugars seem to cut into it quite a bit and provide a really odd marriage. Seems to be an interesting mix of spices in there as well that provide an interesting accent. Feel is thicker on the liquid with a fairly high amount of carbonation over the tongue. Very drinkable. An interesting brew with a mix of things going on. Worth trying for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

hazy golden with a rocky white head that holds well and leaves decent lace. nose is georgeous. nice soft lemony, citrusy and slightly fruity/bubblegummy hop character. really hoppy. yeasty as well and also a hint of a pale malt and begian sweet backbone. taste is the same. a really satisfying belgian style hop bomb with a nice, soft, medium-full body. a good belgian always seems lighter to me than it actually is because the way they are carbonated, but this one is light and heavy at the same time, if that makes sense. creamy and silky, yet light and lively. a real pleasure and very food friendly.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

A: Pours a sort of cloudy clear pale amber and copper with a thin white head, its so hard to get a nice head to form in a gobblet, lots of carbonation supporting it though.

S: This may be the hoppiest of the bunch Ive tried latly, very estery and flowry

T/MF: A nice flowery apple and for sure a bit different than the others, a bit more grainy and the mouthfeel is a bit more prickly, certainly more piney than any of the other three, there is also a good deal of peppery spice but for the most part a very stong and fresh cut juicy apple dominates this beer with hints of pear near the finish, its a nice touch and the mouthfeel is nice and complex and tingles the tounge but not quite as stong as I would have hoped.

D: This beer though does not get lost in the wash as it has its own very nice and unique qualities, a very solid offering and a top five belgian ipa to be sure.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

11.2oz bottle poured into Urthel goblet @ BrickStore Decatur

A: It had the appearance of a Belgian and light carbonation. The head was huge and kept half glass with permanent stuck lacing. Typical gold color.

S: Citrus hops that had a sourly strong detergent scent that was a slight turnoff at first. Considered that it would be lower in hops than advertised and too citrusy.

T: The taste of this one blew away any concerns from the aroma. The honey and floral accents were there but the hops were more than noticeable. This was one well made and delicious IPA- best of the Belgian takes on the style.

M: Milder carbonation, very good.

D: Very drinkable, as are most Belgian beers and the ABV is barely noticeable. Id always like more hops but this is something that can be enjoyed for a few.

I have been trying to make my way through the Belgian IPAs and have always been a bigger fan of the American style, lower carbonation. This is a damn good beer and was really impressed by the take on the style. Top notch .

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Belgian IPA huh? Interesting. Very excited to give it a shot. Poured into oversized wine glass, it left a tremendously fluffy off white 3 fingered head that stuck around over the half hour that I drank it. Poured cloudy straw color not as golden as I expected. Upon first sniff, I didn't get much. A little hops and a little spicy notes, but after it warmed up the citrus hops really came though. First sip was belgian yeasty and some bitterness on the finish, Left a medicinal taste in my mouth-very earthy. I decided to let this warm for a whole and was very happy after about 10 minutes. The hops really came though to balance the sweet malt. Good citrus and spice flavors all the way through and the yeasty/earthy flavor faded into the background, but did not disappear altogether. Mouthfeel was very smooth but the yeasty flavors lingered on the swallowing. Very interseting beer, I would try again and give other Belgian IPAs a chance.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer, very hoppy, of course it is called hop-it. Had a wee bit of a bitter taste to it, not my favorite, but really have been wanting to try the other belgian beers that are made by Urthel. Wish I could have tried a white, or a tripel from these guys.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle into a tulip. Picked this up awhile ago at the Foodery and have been waiting to try it.

Pours a tremendous white, foamy, pretty solid head that is very slow to reduce itself. The body is a little darker than straw-ish, but distinctly golden. It looks more like a saison or a belgian strong pale ale that it does an IPA. Should be a real interesting drink.

Yeah, again, you can tell that this is a Belgian beer. The yeast smell is absolutely there and very strong. There is some extremely underlying hops within the aromas- not the American pine hops but a almost-spearmint hops. Some orange peel as well, which I like. A really inviting, really soft, warm aroma.

To be honest, this is a disappointment, and I will have to get another one of these beers to confirm this. With that said, when I drink this beer, I think penicillin. Especially in the finish I get the taste of antibiotics; there is some hop, for sure, and there's some nice orange-type-elements in the mid palate, but overall, I just get a ton of penicillin, and that's extremely disappointing.

Really tight mouthfeel. Nice long finish, grabs the mid palate especially well. Not the entire mouth-grippingness of some other beers, but you know, a really good beer in that regard. Not the smoothest of beers, that is for sure. Some bite when you swallow it, and the medicinal aftertaste overpowers a little.

I plan on having one more of these, that's to make sure this beer was not a dud. It's pretty hard, at this time, although it may just be because I'm down on this beer, to imagine myself drinking more than one of these beers. The medicine is just too pronounced, and too be honest, it's a deceptively boozy beer, and I think that hurts it as well- the finish is so big that it's easy to forget that this is a 9.5% abv beer.

This beer disappoints me, and I hope that this bottle was bad, and that what I got was just bad luck. Really, I hope that's what it is. I can't write anymore about the subject. Words fall short. I'm genuinely bummed.

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%

First Belgian IPA. Wow, upon the pour, there's no head. My Duvel tulip can't even coax much out of it. Little head, no retention. I think this is a little flat, considering the hops in here.

Smell is a resiny, sweaty-sock hop smell - I don't know what American variety this is, but I've smelled this before. Interesting and not at all as bad as the description would imply.

Taste, Feel - Oh yeah, we're definitely talking about some American hops here... nice citrus, floral aspect very reminscent of a West Coast IPA. Triple-like alcohol is definitely present as well. Feel is pretty limp watery...I think I got a bad bottle. I feel bad about reviewing this in a clearly compromised state, because this definitely shows promise. I'll pick up another bottle and revise my review.

Drinkability is great...hey, it's nearly flat, it has the feel of a vodka and cranberry, not a beer....hehe - this bottle was not cheap enough to be a drain pour, so I'm going to soldier through. Sorry Urthel - I'll make it up to ya.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Huge 3-finger, rocky head. Great retention and lacing. Hazy deep gold body.

S: Yeast, spice, lemon, and a little malt. A bit light.

T: Sweet up front, spicy throughout, bitter & slightly alcoholic towards the back. Too much spice for me.

M: Medium bodied & light carbonation. Sticky finish with sweetness and alcohol present in the aftertaste.

D: With all the spice I don't enjoy, I'm finding it difficult to finish the bottle.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a yellow/golden color with absolutely no head whatsoever. I don't know if their was something wrong with this bottle, but really no head at all.

Smelled of citrus. Some very faint pine and a good helping of yeast.

I expected overblown hops, but instead I got a more balanced beer. Some faint pine followed by a slight sweetness on the back palate.

Mouthfeel was really nice. Nice creamy, rich mouthfeel. Lack of carbonation made for a very drinkable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Partly cloudy blonde with an enormous long-lasting white head. I would not consider this a hoppy beer when considering American hop monsters. This falls more along the lines of a very good blonde Tripel. There is a spicy honey aroma contributing to it’s sweetness and containing a strong alcohol presence. Hop character disappears as soon as the beer starts to warm up. This has a typical citrus hop and pale malt flavors of good blonde triples. Contains some clever spicy notes, keeping it from being just another generic Tripel. This one is way above average for a European style IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

This is a surprisingly good Belgian and somewhat unique. It pours a cloudy yellow with lots of head, lacing and retention. The smell is fruity esters and lots of lemon, clove, and honey. This is a thick and full bodied beer that starts out as a very typical syrupy Belgian blonde replete with the bananas, cloves, lemon, citrus, fruity esters, and complex yeasts. By the mid point, things change a bit and the hops really do kick in it becomes more of a tangy vanilla cream and slightly bitter ale. There is a rather prodigious aftertaste that does compromise the drinkability. As for the alcohol content, I would not have known this was a whopping 9.5 ABV unless I looked closely at the bottle. This beer does a remarkable job at masking a high ABV. This is a special beer well worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a rich golden color with tons of tiny bubbles rising quickly to the massive, fluffy, and sticky head. Lots of plateaus on the head and leaves some rings of raised lacing. Slightly chill-hazed. Aroma is big on the hops for sure. Lots of herbal and floral character comes right out at you. This is mixed with some bready pale malts and honey. Alcohol lets itself be known, but it really just helps to round it all out. Slight peach and banana esters come out as well. Lots of honey sweetness kicks off the flavor as it intermingles with light, crackery malts. Some white grape leads into a hop profile that is at once floral and fruity. I don't know what kind of hops they are using, but I'm getting big jasmine notes (the best kind). The sweetness continues on toward the finish, where the spotlight is taken up by some mild warming alcohol and a little dry closer. Mouthfeel is moderate in weight, but leans just a touch to the fuller side of things. Carbonation is vibrant, but not violent. Delicious beer, but the overall sweet character and hefty ABV keep the drinkability down just the slightest.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a review of the bottled form of this brew.

The only major difference between the on-tap form and the bottle is in the flavor. I actually prefer this brew from the bottle. The yeast character is definitely more subdued out of the bottle than it is on-tap, and far more crisp.

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)