Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden with slight haze, medium low carbonation, huge sustained off white slight yellow head with large and small bubbles.

S: Citrusy hops, coke, bright with lemon zest, slight evergreen, light sweetness, light dankness.

T: Citrus hops, lemon zest, blue cheese bite, slight evergreen, medium sweetness, really reminding me of a tripel only with a little more hops and a little more bitterness on the end. Some white grapefruit pith.

M: Medium syrupy body, light resinous tone, low carbonation.

O: Not as hoppy as say Chouffe’s version, but reminiscent of Hopus, and this one is supposedly the first Belgian IPA ever. Glad to have found a bottle in Chiang Mai Thailand.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at The Beer Store 330ml bottle for just under $3.00. Served at 8deg C in a tulip.

A- Opened well with a ton of head and cloudy golden color.

S- Excellent! Hints of hops, malt, grapefruit and yeast

T- Total confusion at this time. Hoppy trip?? Super hot as well. Just not for me

M- Pretty good, nothing special

O- Pretty good. Gave this a bit of a higher rating that it deserves I think

Food Pairing

This interesting beer pairs well with... Pad Thai or hearty blue cheese

Enjoy

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love blonde ales and I was excited to try this one for I've had some Urthel beers before and they were great, as long with this one.

Poured from bottle to a tulip.

A: Beautiful golden tone, almost like liquid straw. A little under a half inch head for me, poured it quite slowly. Off white colored head all around very beautiful blonde ale looks very approachable.

S: Very smooth earthy smell to it. I get hints of sweetness along with some yeast. The hops are also present too, with a oily background.

T: SMOOTH, and very creamy. Watch out with this one with a 9.5% ABV. If I didn't know I would have guessed around a 7 possibly a tad lower. Like I said very creamy, very balanced with a hop presence and smooth malts and also a nice sweet touch that to me adds various layers to this beer to enjoy.

M: Very creamy which I love but also very sticky, each drink will leave you with somewhat of a pleasant after taste of the beer. Opinions may vary of this, I don't mind it to much.

O: Overall great beer will buy more soon! Caught myself gulping this down rather quickly, I had two so I tried to take the time to really sit with the next one but it was hard. Great beer.

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%

Having had a few things from Urthel in the past, and always finding them unusual in their own way... in a weird way... it has taken me awhile to try this one as I was not sure what to expect or what I may think of it. It was yet another unusual experience.

The appearance is great. Fantastic light gold to straw tone with a lot of lacing bubbles and a very slight off white head. Beautiful blonde ale, just looks drinkable and approachable. Whenever a belgian ale has that sort of continuous, champagne sort of bubbling that lightly rises and rises... that gives me hope.

The smell. Whoa! Talk about wet hay. Yeah, wet hay... and Belgian candy sugars. There is a strange hoppiness that accompanies the wet hay pungency. Smells slightly yeasty as well. Citrusy too with a pinch of pineapple... All of this is not entirely bad... but... pungent. Quite pungent.

The taste follows suit quite a bit. You get the wet hay sort of deal going on but the sweetness from the malt and the possible candy sugars definitely blend it down into the hops that dry and bitter it a fair amount. It is a fairly sweet beer. There is a dessert-like lemony taste to it... a creamy taste as well. A tad grassy. This unusual... aggressive earthiness that is a powerhouse in the background of this beer. The same earthiness that I have found in all of the Urthel brews that makes them unusual... intriguing... and hard for me to understand. I get a bit of booze as it warms.

The mouthfeel is quite nice. For 9.5%, this brew goes down quite smooth. Almost dangerously smooth. I would have took it as a more 8%. It is crunchy and crisp with carbonation. Slightly bitter and relatively dry. But my small issue is the stickiness. The stickiness just seems a bit too tacky to the back of the mouth.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed in MYSELF. I actually really appreciate this beer and like it above the other Urthel beers I have had in the past. It makes me want to revisit the others sometime. I would drink this beer again. Springtime would be a perfect time for this one.

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)