Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger white head forms but recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front is bitter grapefruit hops. Bread and biscuit yeast. Some buttery diacetyl as well.
T: Follows the nose. Bitter grapefruit and a bread/biscuit flavor. THey don't really mesh well for me. Light diacetyl as well.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. This is soapy and oily. A bit of alcohol, and the odd mesh of flavors makes this harder to drink than I would like.

Not bad, but the beer just does not come together all that well for me. Probably not something I will revisit.

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle on Thanksgiving Day.

I have had Stone's Ruination IPA several times before, so I thought this would be along the same lines: good hop characteristics.

A - Nice golden tone to it with an explosive head, I think it wasn't cool enough when we decanted it.
S- Floral, which is expected.
T- Hops dominate this brew so much I don't get anything else.
M-OK
D - Not a chance, too heavy on the hops that I couldn't really enjoy it. So much so, we opened up a Arrogant Bastard after this and it didn't have the same bite that it normally does. If you want to experiment and try something at will kick your tongue in the ass, then go for it. Bottom line, this was too hoppy for me.

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%

First Belgian IPA. Wow, upon the pour, there's no head. My Duvel tulip can't even coax much out of it. Little head, no retention. I think this is a little flat, considering the hops in here.

Smell is a resiny, sweaty-sock hop smell - I don't know what American variety this is, but I've smelled this before. Interesting and not at all as bad as the description would imply.

Taste, Feel - Oh yeah, we're definitely talking about some American hops here... nice citrus, floral aspect very reminscent of a West Coast IPA. Triple-like alcohol is definitely present as well. Feel is pretty limp watery...I think I got a bad bottle. I feel bad about reviewing this in a clearly compromised state, because this definitely shows promise. I'll pick up another bottle and revise my review.

Drinkability is great...hey, it's nearly flat, it has the feel of a vodka and cranberry, not a beer....hehe - this bottle was not cheap enough to be a drain pour, so I'm going to soldier through. Sorry Urthel - I'll make it up to ya.

750 ml corled and caged.

Appearance: Wow, suspension in the beer, weird globules that I have not seen in a very long time are everywhere in this beer's golden body. Head is massive, 3 inches at the pour. So much for the appearance.

Smell: Belgian yeastiness, grassy malt, also fruity with hops and a candy quality. Not bad.

Taste: Initially sweet and very malty, then tranitions into a big citric hop presence, which combines very oddly with the malt. This beer has a nice hop bite, but not very satisfying when compared with the new belgian hop bomb from chouffe.

Mouthfeel-Drinkability: Not good. The clumps of gelatenous material really make me think negative of it. I hope I just got a bad bottle, and maybe I will try it again and re-review.

Drinkability:

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: pale straw yellow, slight haze, big layer of pure white froth, great head retention, lace

Aroma: luscious perfumey hops with hints of blossom honey, coriander, citrus peel

Flavor: full malt sweetness with a sugary edge that almost becomes too sweet until a late-hitting smooth bitterness tamps it down; followed by peppery alcohol and hints of passion fruit, buckwheat, and clementine; finishes semisweet with a lingering mild bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, zingy carbonation, a bit slick and lots of alcohol warmth in the throat

Other comments: This is a great beer but I was surprised at how not-hoppy it is. In other words, I was expecting a bit more of a kick. Having said that, this is a much more balanced brew than what you typically get from an American craft brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a snifter, unknown bottled date.

This pours a hazy unfiltered yeast filed green tea like color (a murky light tan), with a decent white head which dissipates down to a thin layer. The initial nose is of alcohol, then I get some grassy notes, a hint of belgian yeast esters, and a little grainy malts, definitely not an in your face amount of hops. As much as the alcohol is in the nose, I'm nervous about how well its going to be hidden. The feel is medium with plenty of tingly carbonation. The taste is okay, the alcohol is pretty present as I feared. The taste is of grainy malts, a little hops, a long dry finish with a lingering alcohol after taste. To be honest I from the few Belgian IPAs I've tried, I prefer the ones made in America over the ones made in Belgium, I don't think they're used to the West Cost style of an insane amount of hops, this is much closer to an English IPA and is far less hoppy than even an American Pale Ale.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Served on tap into a mushroom shaped tulip glass at the Winking Lizard for the Glass of the Month

A- Poured a bright golden color, pretty hazy with a three finger fluffy head that left some chunky lace

S- Big pungent Belgium yeast aroma, lots of clove, medicinal notes, and some metallic notes

T- Big medicinal notes and Belgium yeast, some clove and spice, lots of alcohol in the taste

M- Pretty syrupy, decent carbonation, big warming, and some alcohol burn

O- I did not detect any hop presence for a Belgian IPA named Hop It. Pretty big medicinal notes and alcohol presence. Pretty average beer.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy golden-orange with a two finger thick and rich white head with excellent retention. Lacing was sparse, just slid down the glass.

Aroma: Citrus fruits, esters, slightly malty, barely detectable grassy hopiness.

Taste: Expected the hops to stand out a bit on this, but the taste was mostly orange/lemon zest and alcohol. Where's the hops?

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, but slightly watery. Mild alcohol burn.

Overall: Expected more. Anything with "Hop" in the name should deliver just that. This one didn't. The bottle reads "Superior Hoppy Blond Ale" and "Brewers excellent selection of hops". I don't get it. Perhaps the bomber is a better choice.

3.37/5  rDev -14%

Pours hazy orange with almost no head, seemingly very little carbonation, kinda strange, not sure if it was too cold or what. Barely a pop when corked, and none of the normal CO2 fog.

Nice belgian yeast aroma, fairly estery with some bubblegum notes. Some apricot, grapefruit, a little sweetness and a slight tickle of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is again strange, nearly flat, very very little effervescence. Taste of sweet fruit followed by hop bitterness and some alcohol, slightly fusely. Bitterness is fairly strong and forward. Picking up mostly pine from the hops.

I really don't know what to think about this, because I can't tell if we got a bad bottle, and I'm not sure we'll find another. So, I'll give it a little more than I normally would because I feel like somethings not right with this bottle.

Edit: Based on other's reviews, I really think our bottle was not properly carbonated for some reason.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

I have to go a bit against the grain here. This was decent but not great
The best quality this beer had was its head. Quite fluffy and billowing.
Smell is ok. Although i had just had a Surly Cynic Ale and so my nostrils and taste buds were a bit weary.
Mouthfeel is average, a bit on the light side.
Drinkablity for 9.5% was pretty good.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Had this the other night after work. Poured a light orange golden color with decent white head, plenty of lacing and sediment throughout. Smell was nothing special, similar to a lager but hoppier. Tasted mildly sweet, fruity and yeasty, with a slight hop kick. Pretty smooth and clean, just slightly oily. Didn't go down terribly easily, but could have two or three.

3.34/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

750ml bottle, cages and corked. Pours a pale straw color, the four-finger white head forms a stiff cap in the center, amid ample sticky lacing. The nose is filled with grass and herbs, sligh hop and corriander.

The taste is very lemony, with some yeast, corriander, clove, pepper, and a lot less hops than I was expecting. The aftertaste is bitter--though without delivering an enjoyable hop hit before it sucks the life out of the tongue.

The mouth seemed rather light and lacked complexity. It's drinkable, but not all that interesting. I was quite disappointed.

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Golden yellow body, white head.

Aromas of peach and pear with floral notes.

Flavors toasted malt, some tartness mid palate. Medicinal, floral, herbal hops are understated but present. Light bitterness, but American IPA fans will need to adjust their expectations dramatically.

Medium to light bodied.

A nice Belgian IPA, though I prefer De Ranke XX or the Houblon Chouffe, but not bad.

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Leaves a huge, white, foamy head three fingers in depth with excellent retention. It leaves webs and webs of excellent sticky lacing. Body is a hazy gold. Looks great.

Smell - horseblanket, with hints of figs and apricots. Well hidden alcohol.

Taste - as promised by the smell - horseblanket, with tiny hints of figs and apricots. Small hint of lemon on the finish.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, with a great deal of hop oil slickness.

Drinkability - high abv holds down sessionability, but even if it didn't, this doesn't offer much aroma and flavor beyond horseblanket, so to me it's merely a decent beer, and not one I'd seek out often.

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden orange in color with some slight haze and noticeable particles. Amazing pillowy off-white head with tiny bubbles and impressive retention.

Aroma-Primary aromas are of sweet rock candy and alcohol with just a touch of raisins and caramel. Hops are rather light and exhibit a soft spicy/woody/herbal character. Ester and phenol profiles are rather subdued.

Flavor-Austere flavor is dominated by the hops and the alcohol. Faintest hint of malt sweetness is quickly swept away, first by drying alcohol, which is followed by moderate hop bitterness and grassy, woody, and spicy hop flavors. The finish is overtaken by pronounced alcohol notes-not necessarily unpleasant but quite powerful.

Mouthfeel-Moderate carbonation, medium full body. Substantial alcohol warmth coats tongue but never becomes hot.

Not as hoppy as I would have expected, and lacking much Belgian yeast character as well. Quite boozy, though it manages to be relatively inoffensive. I don't think I like it too much, but it intrigues me and keeps me tasting it.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

on tap into a pilsner.

pale cloudy yellow with a touch of head that leaves nice lacing.

very sweet aromas for an IPA (i see it's classified here as a belgian strong pale ale; the restaurant had it listed under IPA). either way, it's what would best be called a belgian IPA: some hops, but dominated by honey sweet aromas and belgian yeast.

sweet, barny flavors with mild hop flavors that help it finish clean. some fruity flavors as well.

mouthfeel is fairly mild with a light carbonation. nothing to complain about, but nothing spectacular either.

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

I've been waiting awhile to take this $11.49 1pt 9oz bottle out of the fridge. I finally decided to try it. What could be better, a hoppy IPA with a Belgian touch!? Two of my favorite styles on the table! I took it out from a 42deg fridge, let it set in room temp for 30 min and popped the cork! That's where my excitement started to dwindle. Poured a hazy butterscotch color with a ridicules amount of tiny white bubble into a Duvel tulip glass. Don't get me wrong, I love a good head, but this was quite the over load. I literally had 6 inches of tight ice cream like head for every 1oz of beer I poured. I had to wait 5 minutes for the ball of foam to "produce" a mouthful of liquid. Smells much more of a banana cream, triple Belgian ale concoxion than an IPA. I don't like the way the beer is balanced between the creamy sweetness and the hoppy bitterness. Don't expect much from the IPA aspect. Definitely a let down in my book.

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bhalter8 for the bottle.

Golden pour. Massive white head retains very well. Great lacing.

Aroma is yeasty, spicy and citric. It's a pretty solid blend of Belgian Pale and IPA, which oddly enough, makes it smell kind of like a tripel.

This tastes like a tripel, as well. Fruity, grassy, spicy...and boozy. The hops I smelled are practically nowhere to be found. Unpleasant finish.

Medium body, appropriate carbonation. Noticeable alcohol makes this a little more difficult to put back. Not really a fan of this one.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

This brew pours a hazy pale yellow color. The head is a billowy four fingers in height, and recedes very slowly. Lacing is thick, lasting until the last sip is gone, and leaving rings and clouds of foam on the sides of the glass. The aroma is very earthy and yeasty. The taste is where is hops are in this beer. The earthy and yeasty notes which are upfront in the aroma are in the background in the taste. They are nearly covered up by a green, resiny, hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slightly ligher than medium bodied, with nice carbonation. Overall, it is as if the normal flavors of a Belgian ale and the hops are at war with one another, and, like in all war, everyone is the loser. Nothing in this beer seems to be in harmony with anything else. A fellow BA once said, "I can tell you if a beer is made well, and I can tell you if I like it." I can tell that this is a well made beer, and I bet a loe of other hop heads out there love it, but I don't.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)