Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap at the Map Room. Pours golden and surprisingly clear, with a finger and a half of white, slightly lacing head.

The aroma is light continental hops and some mixed malts-- shockingly little Belgian character. I didn't pick up much candi sugar or ester character here, and the herbal hop aroma was noticeably lighter than some of the other Belgian IPAs I've had.

Tastes like it smells, light malts and noble hops with almost no bananas, spices, or candi sugar. This is really neither Belgian nor an IPA, and as much as I trust the Map Room, I have to wonder if the keg is old or if the beer is really just this timid.

Mouthfeel is light, almost watery, and brightly carbonated.

Drinkable, I guess, but (at least from this sample) not worth drinking. I love Belgian IPAs, but De Ranke XX Bitter and Houblon Chouffe both much better, much more interesting examples of the style. Everyone's raved so much about this beer that I feel obligated to try it again (maybe in a bottle), but so far I'm not impressed.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

A- After first reading some reviews, I gently poured it into an Ommegang goblet. About a fingers-worth of crackling white head that fairly-quickly dissipated into small clumps of medium sized bubbles. Color is a hazy medium gold.

S- Sweet, apricots and pears come to mind. For being called Hop-It, not too many hop aromas I recognize.

T- Hops appear late in the game and stay around long after the swallow. Initial, fleeting sweetness is crushed by hops.

M- Crisp, lots of carbonation, I'm having trouble reconciling this one. Not a whole lot of balance.

D- Not my favorite. I'm not left longing for the next sip.

Like kosmoraios below, my bottle has a new label, although it still says "The Original Hop-It" With so many stellar reviews, I wonder if the recipe has changed a bit.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle

A_A mildly aggressive pour yields a slightly cloudy golden amber liquid with a decent two finger head that fills up the snifter. There is decent retention as it settles in nicely as a fluffy covering with strips of non symetric lace.

S_The initial whiff gives a strong dose of grassy and slightly spicy noble hops. Behind this is some freshly risen dough. A bit of skunk there as well. The bottle could be a bit old as I am unsure of the dating system.

T_Grassy notes up front give way to Greek Easter bread. The hops dominate though. The finish is pure bitterness with no other distinct quality. This manages to overwhelm everything else and detracts from an otherswise pleasant experience. There is a bit of fusel alcohol as well.

M_Lighter bodied with a sharp carbonation typical in a tripel.

D_There are some positives here but the underlying bitterness just proves to be too much. I am big fan of IPAs and 2xIPAs but it really doesnt work here. I am not sure if they over used bittering hops or the hops they chose just don't make sense in such large quantities.

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Removing the cork almost kicked my ass. The bottle did not want to let the cork go. A little bit of a gusher probably resulting from the cork fight.

Pours a slightly hazy, light golden color with a large white head that had good retention. Very heavy lacing is left on the glass.

Has a very Belgian aroma. Somewhat fruity with a heavy dose of alcohol. Has a bit of a perfume aroma with the hops.

The malt base lets this beer down. It just is not good enough. And the hops are not predominant enough to carry the show either. What you end up with is a very boozy, dry, pale ale. The hops do give a minty and earthy flavor which would be great in a normal Belgian pale ale. Even has a minty aftertaste. Sorry to say but alcohol is the main flavor component of this ale.

Has a medium body with a well matched carbonation that keeps the ale light without being fizzy.

Very let down by this offering. If this just had a better malt body it could of been something. Just too much alcohol with too weak malt and hop flavors. I would also like to see these Belgian brewers experiment with the addition of some darker malt in their IPAs.

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

Had this beer at Cooper's Bar in Chicago. It was poured from a 11.2oz bottle. Poured a light hazy orange with a big white fluffy head. The aroma was very fruity, typical of a Belgian. When I took my first drink I thought the hops were going to stand out more, but they only mildly appeared as an after taste. For a beer called "Hop It" I was a little disappointed, but it was hard to believe that this guy was 9.5%... well masked.

I'm glad I tried it but I won't be reaching for it again.

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Huge 3-finger, rocky head. Great retention and lacing. Hazy deep gold body.

S: Yeast, spice, lemon, and a little malt. A bit light.

T: Sweet up front, spicy throughout, bitter & slightly alcoholic towards the back. Too much spice for me.

M: Medium bodied & light carbonation. Sticky finish with sweetness and alcohol present in the aftertaste.

D: With all the spice I don't enjoy, I'm finding it difficult to finish the bottle.

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured a light golden, clear with no head. Curious.

Aroma of hops, spicey and fruity.

Taste was hops. Was also flowery, oily, malts, spicey and fruity. Also curious.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and somewhat cleansing.

Overall, it is decent but nothing to get excited about. Since this beer has been highly rated by others, I would probably seek it out again to try a bottle and see the difference. At least this glass just didn't do it for me.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

dope fly 750ml silkscreen bottle, lots of information and graphical content. best thing about the packaging is a little square on the back called "brewerssecrets", which presents the ingredient/chemistry info in an easy to read, ergonomic fashion. the story of the beer is there as well.. west u.s. coast vacation prompted belgian brewers to hop-blast a golden ale. here it is.. certainly golden, bubbly with a massively carbonated head. settles like a cotton candy pillow with volcanic lace.

smells yeasty and bready like a belgian pale.. instead of fruits, i get a big blast of the malty/saaz combination found in a larger-sized pilsner. first sip reveals an abundance of earthy hops dancing clumsily with an understated glazed donut aura. finish is somewhat flat with a boring alcohol tone that manages to aggravate more than it distracts. the hops act as a real flavor distraction, dulling the palate like a dissolved naked aspirin.

what we have here is a really good golden ale that i wish didn't have the hop plague. people say that west coast DIPAs and similar beers taste good but hide fundamental imbalances in malt/yeast flavors. this beer is the opposite.

a noble effort... misguided and bizarre. has its bright spots but falls really flat for me.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

On tap in a pint glass this beer shows a golden straw in color with a thin and porous head. The nose seems to oscillate between a lager stillness and a sugary sweetness and a slight yet enshrouded Belgian yeasty sourness/hoppieness. Alcohol level is hard to discern.

Anyway the beer becomes rather grating in a sense as it doesn't offer the depth one might expect. A light sweetness/alcohol akin to a strong ale yet without the yeast character. A moderate hop flavor exists in the background but never comes to the forefront. Rather unexciting for the style and a bit of a let down. Perhaps the keg isn't appropriate?

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

A - slightly foggy golden color. Mine poured with a large fluffy head that settled down to a dense froth. A little bit of lacing.

S - the reviewer prior to mine nailed this one - it is a cross between a triple and an IPA.

T/M/D - again, a nice cross of a triple and an IPA. Hoppy for sure, but lacking in the sweetness found in either style at times. Alcohol is very apparent. It doesn't taste bad at all, but I find it quite dense and difficult to sip - even for Urthel (I love their Samaranth quad).

3.19/5  rDev -19%

Cloudy golden body, thick whipped cream head. Very nice!

Nose is an odd blend of Belgian funk with some sweetness, not really any clear hops here...

Flavor is mildly bitter, but not anywhere near 80 IBUs to my taste-buds. Spicy and flavorful, it's not really an IPA or a typical Belgian. Not at all what I expected, but still OK.

Mouthfeel is zesty and very highly carbonated.

Quenching and drinkable.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

I have been really enjoying the Belgian IPA style lately. There is usually a unique combination of strong citrus hops mixed with that unique Belgian taste. This is my first authentic Belgian one, however. Here is my review:

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow. Head is quite bubbly and large. Sticks around nicely. Lacing is minimal. Looks pretty tasty.

S/T: What makes this different from the American interpretations of the style is that the Belgian character comes first. Then the hops. I was pretty disappointed overall. Aroma consists of Belgian yeast, wheat, grass, and maybe some grapes. Very faint aroma. Taste is a little more intense, but still nothing great. I get the Belgian yeast, some wheat, and breadyness. Hops come through in the finish with a slight grassyness quality to them. Nothing like an American style IPA at all. I also get some licorice in there, which doesn't mesh well with the other flavors. Alcohol does come through as well. Probably not something I would buy again.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Finishes slightly dry. Carbonation is a little lower than average. Drinks okay for a 9.5% ABV beer. Alcohol does rear its head, but doesn't detract too much.

Overall, I must say that this beer doesn't do anything for me. It tastes okay, but I personally feel that American style Belgian IPAs have a much fuller and hoppier taste. This just tastes like an average Belgian ale with a touch more hop bite. At $15.00 a 4-pack, I must say I would never buy this one again. I only would recommend it to big Belgian beer fans who want a very reserved hop intensity to their beer. Not the best.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

A: Gold with lots of foamy head.. decent lacing and retention

S: Lots of floral hops.. sweet malts (honey and apples and pears?) with some phenols and yeast rounding out a complex nose..

T: Disappointing... I think they over did it here as the fruity malts come across really funky when matched with the floral hops... some metallic almost coors light like finishing notes

M: Dry, crisp finish. Tickles the tongue.

D: The taste was just too disappointing to try again...

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

This brew pours a hazy pale yellow color. The head is a billowy four fingers in height, and recedes very slowly. Lacing is thick, lasting until the last sip is gone, and leaving rings and clouds of foam on the sides of the glass. The aroma is very earthy and yeasty. The taste is where is hops are in this beer. The earthy and yeasty notes which are upfront in the aroma are in the background in the taste. They are nearly covered up by a green, resiny, hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slightly ligher than medium bodied, with nice carbonation. Overall, it is as if the normal flavors of a Belgian ale and the hops are at war with one another, and, like in all war, everyone is the loser. Nothing in this beer seems to be in harmony with anything else. A fellow BA once said, "I can tell you if a beer is made well, and I can tell you if I like it." I can tell that this is a well made beer, and I bet a loe of other hop heads out there love it, but I don't.

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%

I've been waiting awhile to take this $11.49 1pt 9oz bottle out of the fridge. I finally decided to try it. What could be better, a hoppy IPA with a Belgian touch!? Two of my favorite styles on the table! I took it out from a 42deg fridge, let it set in room temp for 30 min and popped the cork! That's where my excitement started to dwindle. Poured a hazy butterscotch color with a ridicules amount of tiny white bubble into a Duvel tulip glass. Don't get me wrong, I love a good head, but this was quite the over load. I literally had 6 inches of tight ice cream like head for every 1oz of beer I poured. I had to wait 5 minutes for the ball of foam to "produce" a mouthful of liquid. Smells much more of a banana cream, triple Belgian ale concoxion than an IPA. I don't like the way the beer is balanced between the creamy sweetness and the hoppy bitterness. Don't expect much from the IPA aspect. Definitely a let down in my book.

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bhalter8 for the bottle.

Golden pour. Massive white head retains very well. Great lacing.

Aroma is yeasty, spicy and citric. It's a pretty solid blend of Belgian Pale and IPA, which oddly enough, makes it smell kind of like a tripel.

This tastes like a tripel, as well. Fruity, grassy, spicy...and boozy. The hops I smelled are practically nowhere to be found. Unpleasant finish.

Medium body, appropriate carbonation. Noticeable alcohol makes this a little more difficult to put back. Not really a fan of this one.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

on tap into a pilsner.

pale cloudy yellow with a touch of head that leaves nice lacing.

very sweet aromas for an IPA (i see it's classified here as a belgian strong pale ale; the restaurant had it listed under IPA). either way, it's what would best be called a belgian IPA: some hops, but dominated by honey sweet aromas and belgian yeast.

sweet, barny flavors with mild hop flavors that help it finish clean. some fruity flavors as well.

mouthfeel is fairly mild with a light carbonation. nothing to complain about, but nothing spectacular either.

3.31/5  rDev -16%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Golden orange in color with some slight haze and noticeable particles. Amazing pillowy off-white head with tiny bubbles and impressive retention.

Aroma-Primary aromas are of sweet rock candy and alcohol with just a touch of raisins and caramel. Hops are rather light and exhibit a soft spicy/woody/herbal character. Ester and phenol profiles are rather subdued.

Flavor-Austere flavor is dominated by the hops and the alcohol. Faintest hint of malt sweetness is quickly swept away, first by drying alcohol, which is followed by moderate hop bitterness and grassy, woody, and spicy hop flavors. The finish is overtaken by pronounced alcohol notes-not necessarily unpleasant but quite powerful.

Mouthfeel-Moderate carbonation, medium full body. Substantial alcohol warmth coats tongue but never becomes hot.

Not as hoppy as I would have expected, and lacking much Belgian yeast character as well. Quite boozy, though it manages to be relatively inoffensive. I don't think I like it too much, but it intrigues me and keeps me tasting it.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Leaves a huge, white, foamy head three fingers in depth with excellent retention. It leaves webs and webs of excellent sticky lacing. Body is a hazy gold. Looks great.

Smell - horseblanket, with hints of figs and apricots. Well hidden alcohol.

Taste - as promised by the smell - horseblanket, with tiny hints of figs and apricots. Small hint of lemon on the finish.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, with a great deal of hop oil slickness.

Drinkability - high abv holds down sessionability, but even if it didn't, this doesn't offer much aroma and flavor beyond horseblanket, so to me it's merely a decent beer, and not one I'd seek out often.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

750ml bottle, cages and corked. Pours a pale straw color, the four-finger white head forms a stiff cap in the center, amid ample sticky lacing. The nose is filled with grass and herbs, sligh hop and corriander.

The taste is very lemony, with some yeast, corriander, clove, pepper, and a lot less hops than I was expecting. The aftertaste is bitter--though without delivering an enjoyable hop hit before it sucks the life out of the tongue.

The mouth seemed rather light and lacked complexity. It's drinkable, but not all that interesting. I was quite disappointed.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Golden yellow body, white head.

Aromas of peach and pear with floral notes.

Flavors toasted malt, some tartness mid palate. Medicinal, floral, herbal hops are understated but present. Light bitterness, but American IPA fans will need to adjust their expectations dramatically.

Medium to light bodied.

A nice Belgian IPA, though I prefer De Ranke XX or the Houblon Chouffe, but not bad.

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

I have to go a bit against the grain here. This was decent but not great
The best quality this beer had was its head. Quite fluffy and billowing.
Smell is ok. Although i had just had a Surly Cynic Ale and so my nostrils and taste buds were a bit weary.
Mouthfeel is average, a bit on the light side.
Drinkablity for 9.5% was pretty good.

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

Had this the other night after work. Poured a light orange golden color with decent white head, plenty of lacing and sediment throughout. Smell was nothing special, similar to a lager but hoppier. Tasted mildly sweet, fruity and yeasty, with a slight hop kick. Pretty smooth and clean, just slightly oily. Didn't go down terribly easily, but could have two or three.

3.37/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours hazy orange with almost no head, seemingly very little carbonation, kinda strange, not sure if it was too cold or what. Barely a pop when corked, and none of the normal CO2 fog.

Nice belgian yeast aroma, fairly estery with some bubblegum notes. Some apricot, grapefruit, a little sweetness and a slight tickle of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is again strange, nearly flat, very very little effervescence. Taste of sweet fruit followed by hop bitterness and some alcohol, slightly fusely. Bitterness is fairly strong and forward. Picking up mostly pine from the hops.

I really don't know what to think about this, because I can't tell if we got a bad bottle, and I'm not sure we'll find another. So, I'll give it a little more than I normally would because I feel like somethings not right with this bottle.

Edit: Based on other's reviews, I really think our bottle was not properly carbonated for some reason.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

750 ml corled and caged.

Appearance: Wow, suspension in the beer, weird globules that I have not seen in a very long time are everywhere in this beer's golden body. Head is massive, 3 inches at the pour. So much for the appearance.

Smell: Belgian yeastiness, grassy malt, also fruity with hops and a candy quality. Not bad.

Taste: Initially sweet and very malty, then tranitions into a big citric hop presence, which combines very oddly with the malt. This beer has a nice hop bite, but not very satisfying when compared with the new belgian hop bomb from chouffe.

Mouthfeel-Drinkability: Not good. The clumps of gelatenous material really make me think negative of it. I hope I just got a bad bottle, and maybe I will try it again and re-review.

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)