Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: pale straw yellow, slight haze, big layer of pure white froth, great head retention, lace

Aroma: luscious perfumey hops with hints of blossom honey, coriander, citrus peel

Flavor: full malt sweetness with a sugary edge that almost becomes too sweet until a late-hitting smooth bitterness tamps it down; followed by peppery alcohol and hints of passion fruit, buckwheat, and clementine; finishes semisweet with a lingering mild bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, zingy carbonation, a bit slick and lots of alcohol warmth in the throat

Other comments: This is a great beer but I was surprised at how not-hoppy it is. In other words, I was expecting a bit more of a kick. Having said that, this is a much more balanced brew than what you typically get from an American craft brewery. (796 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a snifter, unknown bottled date.

This pours a hazy unfiltered yeast filed green tea like color (a murky light tan), with a decent white head which dissipates down to a thin layer. The initial nose is of alcohol, then I get some grassy notes, a hint of belgian yeast esters, and a little grainy malts, definitely not an in your face amount of hops. As much as the alcohol is in the nose, I'm nervous about how well its going to be hidden. The feel is medium with plenty of tingly carbonation. The taste is okay, the alcohol is pretty present as I feared. The taste is of grainy malts, a little hops, a long dry finish with a lingering alcohol after taste. To be honest I from the few Belgian IPAs I've tried, I prefer the ones made in America over the ones made in Belgium, I don't think they're used to the West Cost style of an insane amount of hops, this is much closer to an English IPA and is far less hoppy than even an American Pale Ale. (977 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Served on tap into a mushroom shaped tulip glass at the Winking Lizard for the Glass of the Month

A- Poured a bright golden color, pretty hazy with a three finger fluffy head that left some chunky lace

S- Big pungent Belgium yeast aroma, lots of clove, medicinal notes, and some metallic notes

T- Big medicinal notes and Belgium yeast, some clove and spice, lots of alcohol in the taste

M- Pretty syrupy, decent carbonation, big warming, and some alcohol burn

O- I did not detect any hop presence for a Belgian IPA named Hop It. Pretty big medicinal notes and alcohol presence. Pretty average beer. (603 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Poured a slightly cloudy golden-orange with a two finger thick and rich white head with excellent retention. Lacing was sparse, just slid down the glass.

Aroma: Citrus fruits, esters, slightly malty, barely detectable grassy hopiness.

Taste: Expected the hops to stand out a bit on this, but the taste was mostly orange/lemon zest and alcohol. Where's the hops?

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, but slightly watery. Mild alcohol burn.

Overall: Expected more. Anything with "Hop" in the name should deliver just that. This one didn't. The bottle reads "Superior Hoppy Blond Ale" and "Brewers excellent selection of hops". I don't get it. Perhaps the bomber is a better choice. (687 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -14.2%

First Belgian IPA. Wow, upon the pour, there's no head. My Duvel tulip can't even coax much out of it. Little head, no retention. I think this is a little flat, considering the hops in here.

Smell is a resiny, sweaty-sock hop smell - I don't know what American variety this is, but I've smelled this before. Interesting and not at all as bad as the description would imply.

Taste, Feel - Oh yeah, we're definitely talking about some American hops here... nice citrus, floral aspect very reminscent of a West Coast IPA. Triple-like alcohol is definitely present as well. Feel is pretty limp watery...I think I got a bad bottle. I feel bad about reviewing this in a clearly compromised state, because this definitely shows promise. I'll pick up another bottle and revise my review.

Drinkability is great...hey, it's nearly flat, it has the feel of a vodka and cranberry, not a beer....hehe - this bottle was not cheap enough to be a drain pour, so I'm going to soldier through. Sorry Urthel - I'll make it up to ya. (1,019 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color. A two finger white head forms but recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front is bitter grapefruit hops. Bread and biscuit yeast. Some buttery diacetyl as well.
T: Follows the nose. Bitter grapefruit and a bread/biscuit flavor. THey don't really mesh well for me. Light diacetyl as well.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. This is soapy and oily. A bit of alcohol, and the odd mesh of flavors makes this harder to drink than I would like.

Not bad, but the beer just does not come together all that well for me. Probably not something I will revisit. (606 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle on Thanksgiving Day.

I have had Stone's Ruination IPA several times before, so I thought this would be along the same lines: good hop characteristics.

A - Nice golden tone to it with an explosive head, I think it wasn't cool enough when we decanted it.
S- Floral, which is expected.
T- Hops dominate this brew so much I don't get anything else.
M-OK
D - Not a chance, too heavy on the hops that I couldn't really enjoy it. So much so, we opened up a Arrogant Bastard after this and it didn't have the same bite that it normally does. If you want to experiment and try something at will kick your tongue in the ass, then go for it. Bottom line, this was too hoppy for me. (709 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

On tap at Volo, in Toronto.

An American-inspired ale but the beer's appearance reminds one of a brilliantly polished dinner set of European royalty; it shimmers with gleams of gold and brass. The clarity is immaculate and little bubbles tipsily wonder about. The head, in true Belgian fashion, is firm and long-lasting. Its foamy wash curiously lacks the grip to mark the glass.

Sassy hops are necessary - and very dear - for a strong IPA type ale. The same can be said of a phenolic, elegant yeast for a strong Belgian ale. Oddly, this beer, said to be a combination of both, lacks each - at least from the smell of things. I don't sense any nuances of esters or spices nor can I make out anything fruity, spicy, bitter or herbal.

Best I can tell, from both taste and available information, Urthel's Hop-It uses nothing but simple pale malt. It is plain and desperately lacks depth. Cereal grain and... nothing. Hops? No. As previously mentioned, this beer, unlike a fellow golden strong ale like Duvel, doesn't posses the spicy phenols and fruity esters to dress up the bare, blandish malt bill.

With nothing really keeping it in check, the alcohol is fiercely present. The unmistakable taste of ethanol scorches the palate. Its sanitizing effect numbs the inner layer of the lips. Not one thread of the nine and a half percent alcohol goes unnoticed; an observation rare in Belgian ales. With a little warming, this becomes as painful as amateur surgery.

My first sample of this beer was from a 750ml bottle that I assumed must had been past its prime. The beer was unexpectedly listless and by no means even remotely hoppy. There need not be all the fruity American hops but some is necessary if the brewery continues to advertise it as "an hommage to hops in the style of American Craft Brewers."

And maybe through the other end of the telescope it looks that way, but it certainly wasn't the view I had looking into my glass. I was surprised by how little I enjoyed the beer, for a second time at that. The concept of a Belgian DIPA is intriguing to say the least. From my experience, however, its success seems to be the exception rather than the rule. (2,170 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Big white head that leaves gobs of chunky lace before settling to a heavy film. Brew is hazy golden. Looks good.

Hoppy yeasty nose, very clearly Belgian in style. Some earthiness, slightly sweet. Smells appetizing. Whiff of booziness.

Slightly bitter to start before going sweet in a big way and then finishing dry and bitter. Bready and hoppy. A touch of orange peel. Interesting but overall too sweet in character. (418 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

330mL bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Translucent and a bit hazy, gold tinged with orange. Sports one finger of white rocky head that throws a ton of lace.

S - Light fruit scent - apricot? - and spicy yeast, with a hint of white pepper. Hop aroma is very herbal. Delicate and inviting.

T - Fruit continues on the palate, along with a slight phenolic spice. Yeast character is more medicinal than I'd prefer. Surprisingly dry, which serves to accentuate the beer's assertive hop bitterness. The finish is odd and a tad chalky.

M - Smooth and medium-bodied, with nice bottle-conditioned carbonation.

D - Needs to have the yeast kept in check, I think, possibly a lower fermentation temp. The hops are a good complement to what I think the malt/yeast profile is going for. Alcohol is well hidden. I may have to give this another try in the future, but I'm not uber-impressed. (877 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz bottle into a tulip. Picked this up awhile ago at the Foodery and have been waiting to try it.

Pours a tremendous white, foamy, pretty solid head that is very slow to reduce itself. The body is a little darker than straw-ish, but distinctly golden. It looks more like a saison or a belgian strong pale ale that it does an IPA. Should be a real interesting drink.

Yeah, again, you can tell that this is a Belgian beer. The yeast smell is absolutely there and very strong. There is some extremely underlying hops within the aromas- not the American pine hops but a almost-spearmint hops. Some orange peel as well, which I like. A really inviting, really soft, warm aroma.

To be honest, this is a disappointment, and I will have to get another one of these beers to confirm this. With that said, when I drink this beer, I think penicillin. Especially in the finish I get the taste of antibiotics; there is some hop, for sure, and there's some nice orange-type-elements in the mid palate, but overall, I just get a ton of penicillin, and that's extremely disappointing.

Really tight mouthfeel. Nice long finish, grabs the mid palate especially well. Not the entire mouth-grippingness of some other beers, but you know, a really good beer in that regard. Not the smoothest of beers, that is for sure. Some bite when you swallow it, and the medicinal aftertaste overpowers a little.

I plan on having one more of these, that's to make sure this beer was not a dud. It's pretty hard, at this time, although it may just be because I'm down on this beer, to imagine myself drinking more than one of these beers. The medicine is just too pronounced, and too be honest, it's a deceptively boozy beer, and I think that hurts it as well- the finish is so big that it's easy to forget that this is a 9.5% abv beer.

This beer disappoints me, and I hope that this bottle was bad, and that what I got was just bad luck. Really, I hope that's what it is. I can't write anymore about the subject. Words fall short. I'm genuinely bummed. (2,034 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle code K27F11. Hated large format bottle. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a slightly hazy straw gold color with 1/2 inch of bright white head that had decent retention and lacing.

The aroma was hop forward, but in a musty, mellow way that I attributed to the yeast. On the tongue, those aspects were there, in addition to a funk that is clearly due to Belgian yeasts. There was a sharp hop bitterness, and some alcohol burn as well.

The body was medium, typical for an IPA, but heavy for a Blond, which is what the label calls the beer. Drinkability, was OK, but the alcohol burn was a negative in my view. Overall, a decent and enjoyable brew. In general, I'm not a fan of "Belgian IPAs", I don't think the fruity yeasts and bitter hops generally used play well together. This is a solid and relatively enjoyable brew, but I would have been satisfied with a 12oz bottle. (878 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours amber with a lasting head.
Nose shows lots of spicy and herbal hops along with typical Belgian phenols, light malt and doughy yeasty notes.
In the way of flavours there's more of the same hops and phenolic notes along with some confectionery-like sweetness and a fair whack of booze.
Much too highly carbonated. (317 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%

Another sample of my new favorite style

A- Hazy yellow. Big airy white head that actually dissipated pretty quickly. Good solid lacing that moves with the level of the glass.

S- Malty sweetness along with banana & clove spiciness. Aromas are more like a tripel- lacking the characteristics of the IPA side of things.

T- Strong bittering hops. Sweet malts seeping through into the finish. Banana & clove esters.

M- Medium bodied. Light active carbonation. Dry, bitter finish.

D- The bitterness really takes this one down a notch for me. I'll stick with the La chouffe. (572 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one has been in my fridge probably since June and it's now Halloween. Belgian style beers kinda scare me. Plus this beer has sediment and floaties which I know are supposed to be there, but they scare me. So I got a, in my mind, a scary brew for a scary nite.

A - blond, straw yellow and a crest white smile, umm I mean head. Floaties. Lots of them. Almost like pulp in orange juice. Freaks me out.

S - Real yummy smell. Orange and citrus and they're my favorite. There's a fresh hop smell about it too.

T - Mellow and malty. Maybe it was good that I've been scared of this beer for so many months. I"m not finding too much of the Belgian weirdness that I was anticipating. This is a good thing...

M - Some aftertaste that seems to stick to the back of your mouth. I think its where all the hops are. Malty up front, with a hop kick in the back. Small amount of alcohol tingle if you look for it.

D - Drinks almost too easy for the %ABV. Maybe I won't be so scared of this one next time I see it offered up. It would be even more drinkable if the cork wasn't such a bastard and required the use of pliers. (1,117 characters)

Poured from 11,2 oz bottle into a snifter

A_Almost opaque dark tan-yellow color. The head starts thick like sea foam and a thin layer stays quite long

S_Roasty and nutty, almost like a fresh biscuit and without too much alcohol smell

T_Very balanced flavor with a little bit of wheat taste in there. Finishes somewhat strong and piney

M_Thick and somewhat chewy and carbonated the perfect amount

D_Alcohol definitely makes its presence known (except for the aroma) at 9,0ABV. I would drink a couple, but only provided I was at home

I will most likely buy this beer again and drink it slowly by my fireplace, especially as it gets colder outside

By the way, I noticed the listed brewer is Belgian but the bottle clearly indicates that it is Dutch - "Produced in the Netherlands" - does this sort of arrangement happen often? Because it seems a bit strange. (862 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Light, pale golden color with a thick, fluffy white head. Moderate retention and thin lacing.

S- Not as hoppy as I had expected. Smells like Belgian yeast. Sweet with a little biscuit and a little hop character; just a hint of spice and a little earthy.

T- Really tastes a lot more like a triple than an IPA. If anything, I would label this a Belgian Pale Ale or a Triple rather than an IPA. The hops are not present at a high level. I don't just mean "it's not super over-hopped like an American IPA", I mean "the hops are just barely balancing the malt". All discussions of the style aside; it is not a bad beer. There is a mild sweetness upfront which is quickly replaced with a strong Belgian yeast flavor. There is some good spice flavor and a moderate hoppy aftertaste and a little kick of alcohol. Not powerful, but it seems to work with the yeast pretty well, so I'm not complaining.

M- Aggressively carbonated, which is not surprising for a Belgian.

O- Not bad. A little different from what I expected, and there is a clear, definite "Belgian" taste to the beer, but that is not a bad thing. I guess I may have had different expectations and am upset with the lack of hops, so I marked it down a bit, but it is still a solid beer and I would love to have it again. (1,282 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%

on tap at the Hop Leaf in Chicago. pours a golden color with a single finger of tight white head. good retention and solid lacings.

aroma is of light citrus malts and a touch of yeasty fruit, along with a touch of pale malts. almost like a hefe without the wheat malt.

taste is of light citrus hops with a yeasty base, and a finish of overwhelming bitter hops. much more bitter than the aroma would suggest. the character is reminiscent of a belgian pale with a blast of hops on the back end.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry in texture. leaves only a bit of residual citrus malts after the fact.

drinkability is good. 'Belgian IPA' is the perfect style to describe this brew: belgian yeast with a ton of hop bitterness on the finish. it ends up a bit too bitter overall, which hurts the drinkability. (807 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint. BeerH is yellow and mildly hazy with a soft white head of small bubble that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Heavily carbonated. A few yeast clumps made into the glass but not many.

Aroma is breast with mild esters only minimal hops. Very weak.

Beer is medium bodied and bright on the palate with odd late bitterness and a dry finish. It's a little apple-y in the midpalate. Nit my favorite Belgian IPA. (450 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

On tap at The Monk's Table- A very bright and clear orangey/amber. Intense nose of candi sugar and fresh hops, citric, with anise and other floral spices. Sweet malts and fruit dominate the flavours, but are met with lots of bittering hops, anise, rose petal, mango towards the end. Warming and bitter finish. Certainly a sipper. Thanks for the heads up on this one Doug! (371 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Nice head, light golden color
S: Fruity, spicy scent
T: Little hop bite, spicy golden belgian, bit of hops/bite on finish. Was hoping for bit more hoppiness
M: Crisp, but not smooth
O: Ok, not notably special. Wanted a better finish and bit more hop (252 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Served in an Urthel tulip glass.

Got in some fresh stock, so figured I'd give it a go to see what it's all about. It pours a clear golden straw topped by over a finger of bone foam. The nose comprises melon rind, grass, grapefruit peel, light honey, lemon zest, and a small tinge of light caramel. The taste brings in more of the same, though the grass is the real star of the show now. This adds a bunch of chlorophyll, as well as a stronger-than-usual sting of bitterness, mostly rind-based. It's a bit much for me, but luckily not too much altogether. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall a pretty nice BIPA, just a bit far into bitter territory for my tastes. (722 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a pint a hazy yello with a thin fading head and a light floral and citrus aroma. The hops hit with a spice and pine resin slam that over power the citrus and fruit of a Belgian. The spice and hops are bold but swing out of balance to the expected malt and bread-y yeast. The sharp tang of pine was satisfying and nice but the lack of balance leaves a one-dimensional impression rather than fullness. Dry almost to a fault with an alcohol burn behind. I wanted something more. An awesome attempt of an interesting idea. Waiting for someone to bring the idea home. (574 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a pale orange with some chill-haze. A huge overflowing head made a little mess. It laces all over the glass and lasted a long time too.

Has a mild aroma of pineapple, pastries, lemon, sourdough, and lots of alchohol after warming up.

Taste is bitter and hoppy. Very dry with bits of belgian spice and candied sugar notes. I wished there was a more pronounced flavor. I found this a bit boring.

Mouthfeel is creamy and drinkable. (440 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Urthel signature beer glass. (Looks like a flat-bottomed tulip glass)

Appearance: A dark transparent amber color with light bubbles to the body. Thin (white) head with a hard pour and at best rose to about 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Bland light smell with a yeast after tone scent. Super light, once it warms up it kicks up a notch but doesn't mean it smells anywhere near addicting.

Taste: Complex but has a over powering lemon feel to it that I can't quite shake the sourness off of my mouth. Heavy hops and super malty which in most situations is great but this brew is definitely not built for everyone.

Mouth: Citris feel with a heavy carbonation to the body. Sticky, and quite honestly rarely I say this...best property of the beer.

Overall: Not a bad grew at all but factoring in the price and availability it has major holes in it. Hate to sound like this but it could use some tweaking. Worth just to split it with a friend or maybe like I did and watch some reruns of SoA. Salud! (1,009 characters)

Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)