Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel Hop-ItUrthel Hop-It

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 10-04-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 701-725 | 726-750 | 751-775  | next › last »
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

WOLFGANG, Jul 04, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +22.9%

I had the pleasure of meeting Hildegard and her husband, the owners of Urthel, at Toronado in San Francisco two years ago. That was the first time I tried Hop It and now I seek it out any chance I can.

This time, I poured it from their wonderfully labeled 750ML bottle into my Czechvar guilded lipped tulip glass. A lovely wheat and gold color with active carbonation and a pillowy white foam which lingered throughout the session.

The nose was citrusy and beautiful; hoppy with grapefruit, oranges, tangerines and lemons. Simply spectacular.

The tatse was also citrusy with oranges and grapefruit, etc. Perfectly balanced. Chaulky from the yeast yet clean and perfect.

Mouthfeel was more of the same citrusy magic. Smooth and delightful.

This is simply the class of the style. Superior in every way. A must try for all BA's.

jim102864, Nov 27, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

1-9-08: Watching "Talk to Me" while reviewing this gem.

I poured this gorgeous beer into my De Garre snifter. It had a huge egg shell head that left lacing over the entire snifter. It had a nice bright yellowish-orange body that was semi-transparent.

A nice herbal hop aroma with bits of dried apricot. Very pleasant indeed.

All the flavor of a typical Belgian with a nice rounded hop body. A big hop presence, but it doesnt interfere with the other flavors. Light fruit, biscuit and glorious hops; herbal again with a bit of earth. One of the best beers I have ever had.

The moutfeel is fairly light a bit grainy.

I will get more of this beer as soon as I can. This is like no other Belgian IPA i have ever had. It is amazing.

8-26-09 - edit:

Enjoying this beer on a beautiful Nashville evening on my veranda; I cant believe I waited this long to try this beer for a second time. It is still amazing, if not better. I also havent seen "Talk to me" since I last had Hop-it, and I should because it also was a great movie.

R.I.P. De Garre snifter. The best beer glass I have ever had passed (fell on the floor) not long after the initial 1/08 review.

IPAcraig, Jan 09, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +23.4%

color: hazy golden apple
appearance: HUGE four finger head if you poured slowly. The head was like a creature from hell. Just when you think it would disapate the head turned into a creamy bliss. ( rootbeer float) ahh!
Nose: fresh lemons, orangepeel, wet leather.
Taste: Lemon merange pie, into a spicy midpalate of white pepper,and fresh baked bread quality. Not much malt backbone but the creamy head that never goes away balances the bitter hops. If this brew had more of a malt-backbone this would of scored a perfect 5 for me.

athensbeermaster, Feb 05, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a nice opaque dark honey golden with a VERY thick and persistent head - it is thicker than B.S. in Washington and stays better than whipping cream on hot coco. Aroma is strong and mainly malty with a touch of sweetness and a strong hop undertone. Flavor balances hop and malt components, with a little malt sweetness and some hop fruitiness, and a touch of bitter. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable ale.

Cyberkedi, Sep 14, 2007

despond, Nov 20, 2011

PaBeerLover, Nov 30, 2011

sjstraub, Nov 14, 2011

Chegui, May 14, 2013

I never have had any beer that I have rated this well. To me, and to my wife Millie, if you were to imagine an excellent Golden Ale from Belgium merged with the perfect amount of hops to balance it out, this would be it. I was amazed at the brewer's ability to prove his talents when it comes to his craft. The color, the somewhat hazy, deeper than straw that one would expect. Mouthfeel... not overly carbonated, but well carbonated as per style. Aroma? Hops and expected banana-clove... slight. I would be so damn proud of this one, if I brewed it, I'd piss off my relatives by bragging too bloody much, so I'm glad they brewed it instead.

I did not have any of the gusher, carbonation problems that other reviewers did, but of course this was just one bottle bought in Concord, Mass at Colonial... a very well stocked outlet that competes quite well with Yankee Spirits, especially considering their superior knowledge and care they seem to take with product. So either the other merchants are storing it and treating it poorly... no surprise, or their only fault is in consistency, please say it ain't so!

kencarman, Sep 05, 2006

BeakDabbler, Feb 17, 2012

PhatAtUT, Dec 11, 2011

josvemden, Jul 05, 2014

Sinewave, Jan 01, 2012

Rochefort10nh, Nov 25, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 701-725 | 726-750 | 751-775  | next › last »
Urthel Hop-It from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)