Urthel Saisonnière - De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SaisonnièreUrthel Saisonnière

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ToasterChef on 02-25-2010)

Jan_w, Sep 11, 2013

Taylor_Boggio, Aug 27, 2013

pperez38, Jan 31, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -32.6%

Rusty, musty, metallic malt liquor flavor. Is this the wave of the Belgian brewing future, or a ghost from a faded past?

If I'd poured this out of a bottle I'd say it was old and aged in the back of a pickup truck. It has that flat, oxidized taste. Expecting the skunk. Instead, a surprising and unpleasant bitterness.

This is a truly weird beer. If it's an authentic piece of history with special heirloom yeast, I guess we should be grateful it still exists. But nobody in America would deliberately make a beer that smell like this. Old sneakers? old tires?

mactrail, Jun 15, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

While this is a blonde/saison hybrid, it seems, at least to moi, to incorporate some of my least favorite aspects that one can find in a beer.

While is is quite pretty, resembling a blonde Leffe, the taste is somewhat one-note; like unripe tangerine, where one tastes the pith without the fruit or the juice.

At 6.0% ABV, it can be sessionable, which I do like.

The aftertaste is not as lasting as some that I have tried, but the aftertaste to me, is most similar to ear or shoe wax.

To be fair, at first on the palate there is some refreshing acidity. Also, the lacing is lovely, and the bubbles are tight.

I think that there are some who will truly enjoy this beer, but I am afraid I needed a little more hops or alternatively candy ester sweetness, or additionally an unexpected aspect to make me enjoy this beer just a little more. And no, I don't like my beers too sweet either. Balanced and tight and floral are some of the characteristics I tend to cherish.

The warmth of the beer, caused by becoming closer to room temperature, does make this beer open up more, and become more balanced. I find I am liking it closer to it's prescribed temperature (which is not unusual, of course). And as I sip more, the earwax flavor note is dissipating. Though I will not change my review numbers, I will be more open to this unusual beer's flavor profile in the future. :)

ElegantRose, Jun 30, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -30%

A- Slightly cloudy blond color with a small white head that sits around.

S- Fruit (banana and bubblegum) and wheat are the first smells with a little bit of clove and coriander spice in the mix. Not really what I expect from a saison but not bad.

T- Bright sweet wheat and barley malt stand in front with nothing to really balance it. Not getting any of the earthy or peppery tones I expect in a saison, just sweet bland malt.

M- Kind of thick for a saison, again the sweetness and wheat proteins seem to dominate over a dry body I would expect.

O- This one really missed for me. Not terrible if I wanted a sweet Belgian blonde, but this one really didn't seem like a saison to me and I wouldn't go for it again.

Guden, Oct 29, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a VERY light clear blond, even though I see some heavy dregs at the bottom at the bottle. Color looks like an American macro light beer. (i.e. Coors Light)

S: I'm, not even pouring this too cold but there is very little nose here. Slight lemon, slight raw wheat smell, but really not much here.

T: Light. Crisp. slightly malty with a bit of pepper. Lemon. Cut grass. malted rice.

M: Light and bubbly lick a nice crisp champagne. No real head. The high carbonation matches the super light body.

O: At $4 for a 11 oz bottle this was very underwhelming. It honestly comes across as a very complex Miller High Life. Unless under $2 dollars a bottle I would not bang again.

FreeKansas, Jun 08, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours a hazy, golden yellow with a white head. Good head retention and lacing with a light, fluffy texture. Some yeasty particles are floating in suspension.

The aroma and taste are neither bad or good. Both are fitting of the style, but are a bit boring, especially for the lively saison style. The nose brings some slight, pear-like fruitiness, with a touch of funk. It reminds me of an old, maybe even moldy pear. Nothing about the aroma is vibrant or interesting, and there is a touch of skunkiness. The taste is incredibly bland. A touch of grainy sweetness in the middle and assertive bitterness is found in the back. There is a touch of fruitiness, but not nearly enough yeast character for the style.

The mouthfeel is very dry and light in texture, fitting with the Saison style. It's a bit overcarbonated, and a little less fizziness would have helped, but it doesn't hurt the beer too much. I won't be getting this again soon, unless I revisit it in fear that I got a bad bottle.

jeffthecheff, May 26, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into a Leffe style chalice for tasting, giving off a darkish yellow/brown with and opaque quality. White creamy head with about one and a half finger lace with average staying power. Decent lacing as well, slight carbonation.

This saison has an at first yeast smell, very faint malt in the background, and a very hidden almost macro corn/alcohol like smell in the end. Bouquet though is kind of a chewyness that hangs in the air not as really aromatic for a saison, light aromas nevertheless. Grass is also apparent sometimes.

Taste is odd, for a 6% ABV though the alcohol appears very forward and extremely predominant as the first taste. At only 6 it masks everything smelled before it, but does finish with a nice but not too powerful lime bitterness and not from any hops. The alcohol domination I feel is weird cause it's still low at six.

Mouthfeel is not too bad some wetness.

I wish that this wasn't so alcohol forward or at least masked better cause it would otherwise be even more drinkable but I'll say it's average for that.

smakawhat, Nov 21, 2010

barnzy78, Dec 04, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured in a Pilsner glass from a 11.2 oz bottle, reviewed live.

A- Very thick white fluffy head. Four finger head. Some soapy linger and a two minute retention. Clouded amber color, yeasty remnants at the bottom. Nice steady but subtle carbonation.

S- Grainy smell, wheat and rye possibly? Slight hint of booziness. Some malty and sugary notes as well.

T- Malty and very sweet. Not like any other saison I've had before but very drinkable.

M- Grainy and light bodied. Mediocre carbonation.

O- Drinkable but not all that great. Glad I tried it though.

Murrhey, Jan 04, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Pale, opaque yellow/gold with a large, foamy white head and lively carbonation.

Smell - Overall pleasant aroma with fresh lemon and hop with grassy malt and cereal notes.

Taste - Lemon, spice, some banana ester ending sharp hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - overall light, dry and smooth and finishing with scouring carbonation

Drinkability - For me this was an average saison that I would drink again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

FourQuarters, Nov 18, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a murky golden with a nice long lasting creamy head. Aroma of citrusy hops with some sweet light malt. Taste is light bitter hops and sweet nutty malt. Palate is light and crisp with good carbonation. Finish is bitter hops some spiciness, with light sweet nutty malt, a bit on the bitter side. Overall a drinkable brew.

Samp01, Nov 24, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -17%

Clear golden color. A very sweet nose of hops as flavoring plants, especially those that scent the sweets. In the mouth, the hops are almost non-existent and the beer lacks body slightly even if we do not fail to note that alcohol is not very noticeable and makes the drink so easy to drink. The finish is very persistent and the slight touch of hops that accompanies it, reminding the local side, is far from being transcendent and spicy touch that emerges is also unpleasant.

ThaCreep, Oct 01, 2010
3.21/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

11.2 bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Murky dark gold with tons of yeast fallout. Has 2 fingers of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Buttery sweet, Pilsner malts, bubblegum, caramel and lemongrass.

Taste
Has some buttery sweetness and butterscotch off-flavors. Pilsner malts, bubblegum and lemongrass. Maybe a touch of dried grass and Saison yeastiness.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, smooth and oily.

Overall
Not really what I expect out of a Saison. Tastes like an old Pilsner.

justintcoons, May 26, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

330 ml bottle picked up at the COOP over the weekend.... Poured into my Delirium goblet....

Huge foamy head... tons of crusty lace.. the brew is hazy very light golden.... the lace looks like spider webs.. seriously beautiful...

More like a BSPA .... the pale malts and the pretty abundant clove and banana are too heavy for a saison.. much akin to a Hefe... a bit skunky and funky.. too phenolic.. band-aid.

The clove phenols are pretty heavy... some Hefe banana.. minor pale malts pull flavors out, but there is a deep "clinical" flavor that show funky band-aid ... eeehhhh... I'm trying to like it. Some pink bubblegum notes show with warmth...

The finish is really not that good... metallic... and too phenolic.... tastes like beer with a bag of pennies with some mild sugar cookies... metallic burps ... no where near a good saison.

I honestly wanted to like this one more, but this is my third bottle and I'm underwhelmed at best. It's not too expensive is my only real positive at this point. I hope we get a new batch into Boise so I can give it another try.

4.5/3.5/3/3.5/3

JohnGalt1, Mar 22, 2010

Loveyourbeer, Aug 14, 2013

ManforallSaisons, May 31, 2014

Bosoxfan20, Mar 10, 2014

TheNakedStiletto, Sep 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

I bought this beer at the beershop of the Bierparadijs in Meer, Belgium.

Poured in my Struise glass this beer looks normal but with five fingers head there is a bit of a difference. Yellow fluid with some carbonation. The beer feels like you are drinking a whitebeer. Dry and crisp.

Brabander, Jan 01, 2012

jzlyo, Dec 26, 2013

retry4z, Jun 21, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A 330ml bottle with a BB of June 2014. Picked up from a Belgian supermarket while on a trip over there some time ago. Described on the label as a thirst-quenching blonde beer.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle conditioned. A bright, hazy golden-amber hue with plenty of chunky sediment and good carbonation. Produces a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before subsiding to a patchy surface layer. Slight lacing. Aroma of fruity yeast esters with hints of mild grain, breadiness, subtle spice, a delicate earthiness and a twinge of solvent in the background. So-so.

Tastes of fruity yeast with a lingering dry finish. Notes of husky grain, faint bread, mild fruitiness, a touch of peppery spice, earthiness, stewed leaves and harsh cardboard. Highly attenuated, followed by a dry, herbal bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and tingly, with prickly carbonation and decent body. Pretty astringent, accompanied by an aftertaste of acrid stewed leaves, cardboard and earthy yeast.

Hmmm - not the best saison I've ever tried, but this bottle might be a tad old. Looks alright, while the aroma and flavour are dominated by dry yeast with a spice and faint fruit character. Body is OK. A bit too dry and harsh to be pleasant, and there's also a twinge of oxidation in the background. Maybe I'll re-review if I get the chance. Nothing special; no need to seek it out.

jazzyjeff13, Jun 05, 2014
Urthel Saisonnière from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)