Jupiler - Brasserie Piedboeuf

Brasserie Piedboeuf visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jupiler Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +44.3%

Having grown up in brussels on jupiler, and the rest, I know the standards of this beer can vary wildly. If served correctly, ice cold, in an immaculately clean 25cl glass, and in a bar full of friendly belgians, jupiler is hard to beat. I dont know what their export beer may taste like, but I think it is a lager that is balanced, maintains its head to the bottom of the glass, has lacing that runs the length of the glass, balances bitterness at the end with the sweetness that first hits your lips, and is really quite refreshing. Looks like lager should look like, served with a two-finger head that hangs around long enough. As far as commerical lagers go, it wins hands down against all the terrible commercial lagers from anywhere but belgium and germany.

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

To begin with, I would like to say that this is not a proper tasting. I bought a few bottles of Jupiler for the evening because it was only 30c per bottle. I've just opened one and started sipping from it and surprisingly this beer is really good from a bottle. I've had it a couple times before but on-tap and it was terrible.
Because I'm drinking it from a bottle it is difficult to say anything about appearance and smell, but the rest of the features is extraordinarily nice for a cheap commercial beer. It is worth stressing that it has something from Belgian ales - sweetness and banana aftertaste. I will definitely buy a crate of Jupiler the next time instead of Grolsch, Heineken or Hertog Jan.

3.7/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fine belgian Beer. Tried it when on vacation since we don't have this beer in Cyprus. I think i should to order a couple of packs from the internet 'cause i want to taste it this beer again and i mean... NOW

Cheers from Cyprus

3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

This beer was on tap in nearly every restaurant we visited in Belgium and several in Netherlands.

Basically a macro-lager but still better than BMC. Pretty gold with big white head. Served cold (apparently for the American tourist crowd?). Inoffensive aroma and taste but very refreshing.

Worked pretty well as a thirst quencher or as a "woman's beer".

3.67/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from the Coke machine at Gare De Midi in Brussels for $1.20. I can't seem to find it on Beerfly. Jupiler pours a light yellow with hints of gold and a thin white head that doesn't stick around. The aroma is mostly grainy but there are some floral hops in background. The flavor is light and dry but there is a pretty decent bitterness and some hop flavor hiding in there. Hints of honey linger in the after taste. When I was in Belgium (at least where we visited), this was the everyday beer, if you asked for a beer it's what you got. It's certainly nothing special, especially compared to the alternatives in the country, but I would much prefer it to its American equivalents.

3.6/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first experience with this beer was visually-- seeing crowds of people drinking it from tap, cans, glass and plastic bottles, on New Years Eve in the Grand Marketsquare in Leuven Belgium 2005/6. The trashy-flashy red-orange label and what I thought I was reading- "JupiTer" made me want to avoid it.

A week later I was in an old tavern in Brugge Belgium, and I asked what beers they might have on-tap. I'd had all the ones they named except one that I couldn't quite understand-- HOOPILET ?!? She said it three times-- never heard of it, I thought. Okay, I'll try it. Yum. I was really impressed. Not bad-- sort of like many American beers in taste but far far FAR superior. I asked them to write down the name-- Jupiler?!?!? I started laughing.

Okay-- so I went and bought a bottle at the local grocery store back in Leuven-- hmmm, not bad indeed! I went out to a local beerhall advertising it on-tap and had another. Yes, 3 for 3.

I brought a plastic bottle of it home with me to the USA. That was 2 months ago. I just cranked it open-- 4 for 4, yep great stuff.

I'm also sharing the bottle, and it's getting 2 thumbs up. Consider that we're just beginning our "tour" of the 20-plus Belgian beers in-bottle that I brought along on the flight, and we've all spent time in Belgium and are Belgian beer fanatics.

This stuff is really excellent drinking beer-- nothing outstanding, no noteably unique traits-- just WELL-MADE BEER, and very drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev +22.3%

This is by all means not a complex beer but as far as macro lagers go, this is my favorite out of all. Impossible to pour without a nice head, even decent out of a can and not pricey at all if you get it in Belgium. I prefer it to Stella or Maes because it lacks that mass produced aftertaste the other 2 have it. It even has a bit of a nutty taste to it somewhere in the back. It barely has any smell or aftertaste, but in case of euro lagers that can be a good thing (think heineken).
Don't spend to much on a bottle of this but if you ever make it to Belgium, give it a shot !

3.55/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Checked into my youth hostel in Liege on 26SEP11, but my room wasn't ready. Having an hour to kill, and being hungry, I roamed the vicinity and stopped into a sandwich shop nearby called "Chez Ali". Needing something to wash down my tasty Merguez-Frittes, I opted for a 0.25l of Juliper Blonde, at €2.00.

Poured into a short rock-glass, it was a clear, pale golden/straw colored brew. Very effervescent, with a rocky, white head that puffed up quickly then right back down. Carbo was steady, but lacing was minimal. Aroma was grassy and herbal, though mild. Medium body, surprisingly, though it was fairly prickly on the tongue. Still solid, though.

Tasted a little bready and crackery, with verrry subtle pear and green apple. The herbal finish also had a hint of spiciness. Not bad; not a keeper by any means, but it did the job at hand. Prosit!!

3.55 rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Looks good poured the standard Belgian bar way, 2-finger head scraped off at the top. Light hop scent. Great beer for an all night social event, nothing too serious here, very fresh and dry, even tinny. Like its sister brands (Stella, Maes, Martens, etc.), soft texture and goes down fast. My personal choice for a fun night out.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

This blonde beer deserves a little more credit than it gets. Its uncomplicated, yet much better than your average lager. However it suffers on draught when not kept well.

I had this on tap in Gent and it was very good. Its a nice change from the stronger, tastier belgian beers.

3.45/5  rDev +18.6%

My first beer; as a teen living in Belgium back in the 80s, this is what I thought a beer tasted like. It's a bit bitter, but thats what made it so memorable. Not to shabby, but age has made me realize that it's been above average. But you don't talk bad about your first kiss either.

3.45/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank this beer during a bowling evening in Holland. Jupiler is a beer which is very available in Holland, not only on bottle but also on tap. It is a good and very drinkable pilsener.

The only thing which is a bit less is that it gave me a slight headache the next morning!

3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Had this several times in Belgium. It was commonly served in small, ridged glasses which would raise the fingers from the glass surface and keep the beer cooler, for longer. Not a bad brew, refreshing.

3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Had this beer out of the can. Served cool in a hotel water glass.

A-pale gold body, thick eggshell like head.

S-Saaz hop smell, metallic

T-sweet malt front, some funny corn flavor to boot

D-nice and drinkable for sure but nothing really interesting going on here. I might pass next time.

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a night full of Jupiler in Belgium. A fair amount of head sat atop the brew for a short period of time. There were not many noteworthy smells and the taste was somewhat bland, yet pleasant at the same time. I'm not sure if I would buy this in a store if I saw it, but I wouldn't hesitate to order it on tap in a Belgian bar.

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at a little café halfway between De Heeren van Liedekerke and the Liedekerke train station. I got a bottle of Hanssens Geuze to pass the time, but when my friend offered me some of her Jupiler to do a review I couldn't say no.

A: Clear straw body with fizzy carbonation filling out the thin white head. Ok retention, decent lace. Not bad.

S: Rather heavy, husky malt. Just pure grain. Pretty average.

T: Smooth malt, with both grainy and bready notes. Some light toffee toward the finish, and solid bitterness on the end. Pleasant enough.

M: Light and fizzy, becoming creamy after a moment. Ok.

O: Nothing I'd ever order when in Belgium, but somewhat better than your average fizzy yellow beer.

3.37/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap into a Juliper glass at a random bar in Oostvletern...Pours a piss clear gold, a white head with ok retention, but nice sticky lacing...The aroma is light grain and skunk, not terrible but I'm not happy either...The taste is light skunk, really pretty boring, a Belgian BMC but about 50 times better than BMC. No reason to ever drink though.

3.36/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

25 cl bottle wth a twist cap.
This is a very enjoyable beer. Maybe it's because this is my first beer after a long day of hiking. Or maybe it's because I am drinking it from a seaside balcony in southern Crete. Or perhaps I've had too many mediocre Euro Pale lagers lately. It any case, it has a light, citrusy flavor that is quite refreshing. I do wish it was bolder, but it is certainly more enjoyable than the BA rating suggests.

3.31/5  rDev +13.7%

Had to have this at some point in Belgium because it's everywhere. I had it on tap at a small restaurant over some lunch.

A: Slightly hazy pure gold. Offwhite 2 finger head with great retention.

S: Very clean with hints of floral hops. Some soap. Grass.

T: Basic and grainy with a bit of grass. Hint of sourdough bread with a touch of yeast.

Better than your typical euro pale... but still unmistakeably a euro pale.

3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

Being Belgian means this beer is very familiar.

L: To style: golden, relatively low carbonation but with an above-average head and lacing.

S: Nothing wild, a mild grainy smell.

T: Grainy and bitter, though not overpoweringly so.

M: Thin, even for a Lager.

D: Nicely refreshing and cheap, it's fairly uncommon to drink only one.

Jupiler is an everyday thirst-quencher or a beer you drink in large quantities in folk events (Doudou de Mons, Carnaval de Binche,...), never does it claim greatness; but as far as Lagers go, though I might be biased on this, it seems slightly ahead of the bunch.

Best served on tap.

3.25/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this on tap at Fionn MacCool's. Waitress just said it was called Jupiler, so I'm assuming it is the standard one. Served in a branded glass. Pours a clear golden yellow colour with thin white head. Nice enough head retention, mild lacing. Smells pretty clean, some mild grassy hops and a bit grainy. Flavour has a hint of bitterness. This is a pretty nice lager on a hot day on a patio, so it hit the spot. Nothing worth seeking out, but I enjoyed it.

3.22/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this yesterday.

A pale lager with a white head, as expected.
Good retention.

Smells grainy and quite hoppy. Pleasant.

The taste is very grainy and quite bitter, but it has this sort of chemical thing to it which is a big shame.

Not THAT watery, and well carbonated.

OK lager.

Don't believe those Belgians who will tell you how this and Stella Artois are a thousand times better than Heineken or any other Dutch lager. That's not true.

3.21/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On-tap at Cafe Katoen, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down but left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Light aromas of bready malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of bready and grainy malts along with a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium- bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is easy to drink and tastes like an average pale lager, but without any flavors of adjunct malts.

3.2/5  rDev +10%

As far as I can tell, this is the local substitute for budweiser in Brussels. It is the cheap fizzy lager that everyone in every cheaper bar buys by the caseload while watching whatever the most interesting sporting event is. I my opinion, it is better than bud/miller/colors/fosters by a small margin. The hops strike with a bit more edge, and the malts are just as good. Light yellow body with tons of bubbles. This takes 3rd place in my personal line up of macros, behind viru and Nile special.

3.2/5  rDev +10%

33cl bottle

A: Nice head light golden, pale straw colour, nice carbonation, overall looks like it shoulkd look

S: hops, malts, sweet bread

T: Basically the same thing as the smell only with a slight metallic taste

M/D: Good mouthfeel, very drinkable.

They have a lot of bad ones.

Jupiler from Brasserie Piedboeuf