Jupiler - Brasserie Piedboeuf

JupilerJupiler

poor

Brasserie Piedboeuf visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jupiler Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +61.6%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

4.4/5  rDev +49.7%

4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

Having grown up in brussels on jupiler, and the rest, I know the standards of this beer can vary wildly. If served correctly, ice cold, in an immaculately clean 25cl glass, and in a bar full of friendly belgians, jupiler is hard to beat. I dont know what their export beer may taste like, but I think it is a lager that is balanced, maintains its head to the bottom of the glass, has lacing that runs the length of the glass, balances bitterness at the end with the sweetness that first hits your lips, and is really quite refreshing. Looks like lager should look like, served with a two-finger head that hangs around long enough. As far as commerical lagers go, it wins hands down against all the terrible commercial lagers from anywhere but belgium and germany.

3.88/5  rDev +32%

To begin with, I would like to say that this is not a proper tasting. I bought a few bottles of Jupiler for the evening because it was only 30c per bottle. I've just opened one and started sipping from it and surprisingly this beer is really good from a bottle. I've had it a couple times before but on-tap and it was terrible.
Because I'm drinking it from a bottle it is difficult to say anything about appearance and smell, but the rest of the features is extraordinarily nice for a cheap commercial beer. It is worth stressing that it has something from Belgian ales - sweetness and banana aftertaste. I will definitely buy a crate of Jupiler the next time instead of Grolsch, Heineken or Hertog Jan.

3.73/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fine belgian Beer. Tried it when on vacation since we don't have this beer in Cyprus. I think i should to order a couple of packs from the internet 'cause i want to taste it this beer again and i mean... NOW

Cheers from Cyprus

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from the Coke machine at Gare De Midi in Brussels for $1.20. I can't seem to find it on Beerfly. Jupiler pours a light yellow with hints of gold and a thin white head that doesn't stick around. The aroma is mostly grainy but there are some floral hops in background. The flavor is light and dry but there is a pretty decent bitterness and some hop flavor hiding in there. Hints of honey linger in the after taste. When I was in Belgium (at least where we visited), this was the everyday beer, if you asked for a beer it's what you got. It's certainly nothing special, especially compared to the alternatives in the country, but I would much prefer it to its American equivalents.

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

This beer was on tap in nearly every restaurant we visited in Belgium and several in Netherlands.

Basically a macro-lager but still better than BMC. Pretty gold with big white head. Served cold (apparently for the American tourist crowd?). Inoffensive aroma and taste but very refreshing.

Worked pretty well as a thirst quencher or as a "woman's beer".

3.6/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first experience with this beer was visually-- seeing crowds of people drinking it from tap, cans, glass and plastic bottles, on New Years Eve in the Grand Marketsquare in Leuven Belgium 2005/6. The trashy-flashy red-orange label and what I thought I was reading- "JupiTer" made me want to avoid it.

A week later I was in an old tavern in Brugge Belgium, and I asked what beers they might have on-tap. I'd had all the ones they named except one that I couldn't quite understand-- HOOPILET ?!? She said it three times-- never heard of it, I thought. Okay, I'll try it. Yum. I was really impressed. Not bad-- sort of like many American beers in taste but far far FAR superior. I asked them to write down the name-- Jupiler?!?!? I started laughing.

Okay-- so I went and bought a bottle at the local grocery store back in Leuven-- hmmm, not bad indeed! I went out to a local beerhall advertising it on-tap and had another. Yes, 3 for 3.

I brought a plastic bottle of it home with me to the USA. That was 2 months ago. I just cranked it open-- 4 for 4, yep great stuff.

I'm also sharing the bottle, and it's getting 2 thumbs up. Consider that we're just beginning our "tour" of the 20-plus Belgian beers in-bottle that I brought along on the flight, and we've all spent time in Belgium and are Belgian beer fanatics.

This stuff is really excellent drinking beer-- nothing outstanding, no noteably unique traits-- just WELL-MADE BEER, and very drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev +21.8%

This is by all means not a complex beer but as far as macro lagers go, this is my favorite out of all. Impossible to pour without a nice head, even decent out of a can and not pricey at all if you get it in Belgium. I prefer it to Stella or Maes because it lacks that mass produced aftertaste the other 2 have it. It even has a bit of a nutty taste to it somewhere in the back. It barely has any smell or aftertaste, but in case of euro lagers that can be a good thing (think heineken).
Don't spend to much on a bottle of this but if you ever make it to Belgium, give it a shot !

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Checked into my youth hostel in Liege on 26SEP11, but my room wasn't ready. Having an hour to kill, and being hungry, I roamed the vicinity and stopped into a sandwich shop nearby called "Chez Ali". Needing something to wash down my tasty Merguez-Frittes, I opted for a 0.25l of Juliper Blonde, at €2.00.

Poured into a short rock-glass, it was a clear, pale golden/straw colored brew. Very effervescent, with a rocky, white head that puffed up quickly then right back down. Carbo was steady, but lacing was minimal. Aroma was grassy and herbal, though mild. Medium body, surprisingly, though it was fairly prickly on the tongue. Still solid, though.

Tasted a little bready and crackery, with verrry subtle pear and green apple. The herbal finish also had a hint of spiciness. Not bad; not a keeper by any means, but it did the job at hand. Prosit!!

3.55 rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

Looks good poured the standard Belgian bar way, 2-finger head scraped off at the top. Light hop scent. Great beer for an all night social event, nothing too serious here, very fresh and dry, even tinny. Like its sister brands (Stella, Maes, Martens, etc.), soft texture and goes down fast. My personal choice for a fun night out.

Jupiler from Brasserie Piedboeuf