Jupiler - Brasserie Piedboeuf

JupilerJupiler

poor

Brasserie Piedboeuf visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jupiler Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

gnikola, Mar 16, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

Satyr179, Feb 03, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

whartontallboy, Jan 03, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -47.1%

Our story about coming to drink the Bud/Miller/Coors of Belgium goes like this: we were in a falafel shop in Brussels eating a quick, cheap snack, and their tap list was all of two, one of which was not available at the time, and the other was Jupiler. So in short, we weren't surprised when the beer was light fizzy crap, brewed to mass market tastes and drunken binge level.

A: Bright, crystal clear, fizzy, with white head. For style, it had a solid appearance. Limited lacing and head retention. For anyone who loves good beer, and especially sitting in Belgium, it's appalling. Nevertheless, I rated it for style.

S: Limited, close to non-existent, slightly grainy, sour hint. Bodes badly for what's to come...

T: Truly craptastic. Dry, clean, tart/sour, lagery THIN blech. In Belgium, of all places, this beer being so prominent and available so extensively kind of makes one wonder about Belgium's true beer culture. But back to the taste of the beer: well, it sucks. Grainy, thin, lager with a distinctly acidic tang.

M: Fizzy and dry, leaves an unpleasant dirt like taste in my mouth and brain. More blech.

D: Deeply undrinkable, and not something I'd ever bother with again. But in bar after bar, and walking by bar after bar, we saw signs, propaganda, and tap handles just rolling this swill out by the bucketload. A perfect example of the triumph of marketing over substance.

Now, not that I want to pick a fight here, but for anyone who thinks that all beer from Belgium is magical, this sort of B/M/C quality garbage makes clear that it is not. And all of the non-Americans who are so fond of bashing "American beer" should try this crap and then talk about Belgium.

Crap, crap, crap.

warmstorage, Apr 12, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -46.1%

got this can at a shop across from the train station in Schaerbeek, Brussels, Belgium today. I don't like stinky beer and this one stinks, literally, like cabbage farts. Poured with a really nice big foamy textured head and a little lace. Pale clear gold color. the aroma shows up in the flavor too, but not as bad. Still. Hard to get around that.

drpimento, Jun 22, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -41%

Well, I guess I found Belgium's answer to Schlitz! This beer was absolutely boring and tasted pretty gross. I got a can of it for my train ride out of Brussels and I wasn't expecting much, quite honestly, but I figured that the Belgians could at least make a cheapo beer more palatable. I was wrong. This was definitely a no-go. I drank it right from the head, so I didn't get a really good look at it but it was quite light from what I could see. Kind of a rank smell, but I think that's just how it is supposed to smell. Don't bother with this one, folks!

RobeyStreet, Oct 14, 2009

corneliusfontaine, Aug 18, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -40.3%

“People in Belgium must drink Trappist beers, Sour Browns, Reds, Lambics, Abbeys, Dubbels, Wheats, Trippels and all those other great beers all the time, surely??” someone once asked me.
Err.. Sorry, but NO. Sadly Not.

Your average “Johnny Belgianer” drinks Jupiler Pils, and they drink it copiously by the gallon. It is everywhere. The red and white Jupiler sign is a staple attachment to most Belgium Bars, cans of Jupiler are even available in 24 hour automated shops, it is also available from booths on Railway Station platforms in Belgium – it is all reaching and truly ubiquitous. A remarkably popular, but unremarkable beer.

A bland light yellow fizzy liquid that degrades the name Pils, and has the uncanny ability not to change color, texture, alcoholic strength, appearance and maybe even taste, as it passes through your Kidneys and on its way to where it truly belongs.

It serves its purpose well as a mass-produced inoffensive beverage that upsets no one.

Closest Analogy – American Budweiser, maybe it's worse.

A simply awful diuretic that degrades Belgium beer. Nuff Said.

TheLongBeachBum, Dec 28, 2002

Jbennette, Jul 06, 2014

hoppecatania, Jul 24, 2014

DARIVA, Apr 10, 2012
1.88/5  rDev -35.8%

A very light, golden amber colour with a very thin, bubbly white head that is more lacing than anything else.

Very grainy with some lager malts and a basic malty base coupled with some vegetable adjuncts on top.

Sweet malts and some citrus with a hint of skunk in there. Quite grainy with some bread and light hops.

Quite light bodied, fairly skunky and cheap tasting with a sweet but not overly pleasant tang to it.

Cheap and nasty tasting lager, I'm amazed that this is the best selling beer in Belgium and quite frankly it is an awful lager.

flyingpig, Jan 08, 2013

NilsFrisk, Dec 02, 2011

SStein, Mar 08, 2014

petibear, Jan 26, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -30%

This beer is advertised everywhere in Belgium. Every bar, even ones with great beer selections, have a Jupiler (or a Maes...or SAS Pils) sign in the window. At a very touristy Brussels bar with a very limited beer selection (King of Spain on the Grande Place) I decided to have one out of curiousity. And I am sad that I did. While the beer looked pretty good, this is a beer that a country with the brewing heritage and vibrancy of Belgium should be ashamed to have spawned.

The beer looks pretty good; it is an attractive brilliant gold color with fluffy white head. Aroma is non-existent. Flavor is totally unnoticeable. Mouthfeel is thin. I had a lot of buyer's remorse at having ordered this.

I would not recommend this beer.

BeerBelcher, Oct 24, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -28.3%

Well, this seems to be the everyman's drink in brussels. In fact everytime I saw a lag on the street drinking a beer, it was the familar red can of Jupiler.

I was curious... How bad could the Belgian equivalent of Budweiser be? I bought a can from a vending machine from Gare Midi and intended to drink it on the train home from Bruges the following day. However It followed me all the way back to Canada!

A: Not too bad looking... I mean I guess its to style. very pale, kind of still, not much head. but actually good lacing...

S: Hmm.. smells horrible. cooked veggies and sulfur. Could be worse than the macro trash we get here...

T: Dosent taste quite as bad as it smells... hey at least it tastes like something! Unlike many American lagers.

M: Thin, kind of still and stale feeling... quite bad indeed.

D: I suppose this is average undrinkability for the style, Although I'd probably reach for something with less off flavours if I want an easy drinking lager.

uno99, Sep 09, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -28.3%

Deep blonde. Not so much carbonation, but also not so much foam, and not persistent.
In the smell a resolute maltiness. No hops.
Even in the taste, not so much beside the malt.
Not very much to say about this one.
Drinkable, but for sure not a beer to search for.

stcules, Nov 28, 2006