Jupiler - Brasserie Piedboeuf

poor

Brasserie Piedboeuf visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 247 | Reviews: 84
2.09/5  rDev -28.9%

Well, this seems to be the everyman's drink in brussels. In fact everytime I saw a lag on the street drinking a beer, it was the familar red can of Jupiler.

I was curious... How bad could the Belgian equivalent of Budweiser be? I bought a can from a vending machine from Gare Midi and intended to drink it on the train home from Bruges the following day. However It followed me all the way back to Canada!

A: Not too bad looking... I mean I guess its to style. very pale, kind of still, not much head. but actually good lacing...

S: Hmm.. smells horrible. cooked veggies and sulfur. Could be worse than the macro trash we get here...

T: Dosent taste quite as bad as it smells... hey at least it tastes like something! Unlike many American lagers.

M: Thin, kind of still and stale feeling... quite bad indeed.

D: I suppose this is average undrinkability for the style, Although I'd probably reach for something with less off flavours if I want an easy drinking lager.

3.4/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this beer out of the can. Served cool in a hotel water glass.

A-pale gold body, thick eggshell like head.

S-Saaz hop smell, metallic

T-sweet malt front, some funny corn flavor to boot

M-light

D-nice and drinkable for sure but nothing really interesting going on here. I might pass next time.

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Sampled from at Caracole glass.

Pours a straw color , very clear, with very little head on top...I'm assuming much of what is accumulating at the top (which isn't much) is from the agitation in the glass.

Right up front, the aroma gives of a green grape smell. It's a very mild aroma, subtle fruited notes alongside some malted sweetness. It reminds me of this lemon-lime gatorade gum I used to chew when I played little league...very muted flavor.

The flavor of this one is like a Budweiser with some funky yeast and slight earthy notes. Bubblegum comes to mind, as well as tart grapes, lime, sweet malty notes, and maybe a slight presence of candy sugar.

The mouthfeel of this beer is quite active, giving a nice lift across the palate. However, the flavors are so muted and sweetly malty, that there is little to make it stand out.

In terms of drinkability, this one stands up against the best American macro-brews on a hot summer day (which it is, currently). Nothing to knock you off of your feet, and no unique characteristics about it. It's pretty plain, malty, bready, and basic.

This one was sent to me via a friend in Belgium along with a few other beers. In terms of what I've come to expect from a good Belgian ale, this one is forgettable.

2.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold color. Nose grain, like the mouth that tastes also cereals. The smell is quite unique grain and easily identifiable. The body is light at first but with a mouth-taste with a bitter taste characteristic of the Jupiler which is not really nice and comes quickly in the mouth. You can feel the finish of the bitterness of cereal a little dirty but pronounced.

2.78/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Clear, golden staw color.

S - Pretty mild, grain and grassy smell.

T - Fairly light and similar to the scent. A bit of mild malt and grainy base with a hint of grassy hops.

M - Crisp and clean taste. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Easy to drink with its mild, inoffensive flavors and mouthfeel.

Notes: Seems like this is one of the Macro-like offerings in Belgium. Not bad and probably slightly more flavor than Macros in the US, but if you are in Belgium there are so many better beers. I got this as a last resort eating in a fast food place because I wanted a beer to go with it, and this is what they had.

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank this beer during a bowling evening in Holland. Jupiler is a beer which is very available in Holland, not only on bottle but also on tap. It is a good and very drinkable pilsener.

The only thing which is a bit less is that it gave me a slight headache the next morning!

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

Overall, this is a very average beer, hence my scores. It tastes just about like any other Euro pale lager, which is generally unimpressive.

However, it is far from repulsive, so if it isn't too pricey, it's a safe bet.

A: Flat saffron color, not much of a head or lace.

S: grainy, grassy...like a euro pale lager.

T: Fairly unassertive, everything is there but nothing stands out.

M & D: Overall this merits a below average drinkability because it feels like not much effort was put into it. I didn't really know what to expect when I ordered it, but I did expect better.

3.67/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from the Coke machine at Gare De Midi in Brussels for $1.20. I can't seem to find it on Beerfly. Jupiler pours a light yellow with hints of gold and a thin white head that doesn't stick around. The aroma is mostly grainy but there are some floral hops in background. The flavor is light and dry but there is a pretty decent bitterness and some hop flavor hiding in there. Hints of honey linger in the after taste. When I was in Belgium (at least where we visited), this was the everyday beer, if you asked for a beer it's what you got. It's certainly nothing special, especially compared to the alternatives in the country, but I would much prefer it to its American equivalents.

1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

Well, I guess I found Belgium's answer to Schlitz! This beer was absolutely boring and tasted pretty gross. I got a can of it for my train ride out of Brussels and I wasn't expecting much, quite honestly, but I figured that the Belgians could at least make a cheapo beer more palatable. I was wrong. This was definitely a no-go. I drank it right from the head, so I didn't get a really good look at it but it was quite light from what I could see. Kind of a rank smell, but I think that's just how it is supposed to smell. Don't bother with this one, folks!

2.62/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this beer on tap in the European Union Area of Brussels. The beer looks like a typical pilsner, with a nice white head. The smell is nothing special, and the taste has some strange malty sweetness mixed with the regular bitterness that a pilsner should have. A decent beer for a hot summer day, where as other people also mentioned, any other pilsner would do. Only I didn't like the this type of sweetness in this beer....

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

It was on tap at the Italian trattoria Zilli in Arnhem.

Just a ordinairy pilsener to me. Bright yellow wit a medium head. Very light body, hardly any hops, some grains and a bittersweet aftertaste.
A typical beer to flush away some food or to drink on a hot summernight when any cold pilsener will do.

3.68/5  rDev +25.2%

This beer was on tap in nearly every restaurant we visited in Belgium and several in Netherlands.

Basically a macro-lager but still better than BMC. Pretty gold with big white head. Served cold (apparently for the American tourist crowd?). Inoffensive aroma and taste but very refreshing.

Worked pretty well as a thirst quencher or as a "woman's beer".

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

On tap at the Cafe Leffe in the Sablon area of Brussels, just down the street from our hotel.

A Lager look under a 2 inch head.

S Slightly sweet lager. Not interesting.

T As I suspected (which is why I put off tasting and rating this beer until the last moments of my trip) very close to water, a hint of sweetness and some barley. That is about it.

M Thin, weak.

D Good drinkability but then again so is water.

Notes: I had to try it when in Belgium but now I will not likely again!

1.58/5  rDev -46.3%

got this can at a shop across from the train station in Schaerbeek, Brussels, Belgium today. I don't like stinky beer and this one stinks, literally, like cabbage farts. Poured with a really nice big foamy textured head and a little lace. Pale clear gold color. the aroma shows up in the flavor too, but not as bad. Still. Hard to get around that.

2.85/5  rDev -3.1%

Can't believe this was actually RECOMMENDED to me at a Belgian beer cafe. It's not a terrible beer but just a fairly unremarkable Belgian lager. Some hop action and body but really I could've got that anywhere. Excessively disappointed because it was recommended but tring not be too harsh. Tis what it is.

2.07/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer is advertised everywhere in Belgium. Every bar, even ones with great beer selections, have a Jupiler (or a Maes...or SAS Pils) sign in the window. At a very touristy Brussels bar with a very limited beer selection (King of Spain on the Grande Place) I decided to have one out of curiousity. And I am sad that I did. While the beer looked pretty good, this is a beer that a country with the brewing heritage and vibrancy of Belgium should be ashamed to have spawned.

The beer looks pretty good; it is an attractive brilliant gold color with fluffy white head. Aroma is non-existent. Flavor is totally unnoticeable. Mouthfeel is thin. I had a lot of buyer's remorse at having ordered this.

I would not recommend this beer.

I had this on tap at a bar in Amsterdam, which was sort of criminal given the fine Dutch and Belgian ale choices elsewhere in town. This looks, smells, and tastes like Miller to me, which is objectionable. Budweiser is at least 2x better than this. You'll see it available everywhere in Belgium or the Netherlands, I recommend a pass.

3.56/5  rDev +21.1%

This is by all means not a complex beer but as far as macro lagers go, this is my favorite out of all. Impossible to pour without a nice head, even decent out of a can and not pricey at all if you get it in Belgium. I prefer it to Stella or Maes because it lacks that mass produced aftertaste the other 2 have it. It even has a bit of a nutty taste to it somewhere in the back. It barely has any smell or aftertaste, but in case of euro lagers that can be a good thing (think heineken).
Don't spend to much on a bottle of this but if you ever make it to Belgium, give it a shot !

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

This 25cl can was a gift from a pair of Belgians who came to Nashville.

A typical euro lager. Pours a clear yellow with a bubbly head that left some lacing.

This has a bit of bitterness in the finish. Otherwise it is barely discernible from Stella.

A highly drinkable beer and quaffable for sure, but not much here.

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Got a tiny (25 cl) can of this from some Belgian friends who came and visited. Not really my thing, to be honest, but it's the thought that counts. It's basically your standard euro lager, with maybe a little less skunkiness in the odor and flavor than most, and a little spiciness in terms of the malt, especially in the nose. Mediocre, if a little above average for the style, and you could drink a bunch of them if in need.

2.96/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Meringue-white head, fairly solid yet rough and spotty, above a plain, yellow-orange body.

Smell: Pale malts with a light fruity sweetness and a touch of sour bread, offset by a mild, herbal hop character.

Taste: Distractingly metallic - not at first, but the taste of coins comes in mid-sip and lingers on beyond the finish. Besides that it's fairly plain but not too bad, with a nice bitter/dry German Pilsener-like edge, put together from light malts and mildly spicy, resinous hops.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, very light, and well-carbonated; not too fizzy (but far from flat).

Drinkability: Pretty good! A refreshing, if flawed and unremarkable, light lager.

2.54/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: brilliant with a light golden colour. White and foamy head with moderate size and good retention (a little bit of lacing).
Aroma: kind of weak. Grains with some citrus notes.
Taste: simple bitter herbal hops flavour.
Mouthfeel: drying sensation. Medium to low carbonation, average alcoholic strength, medium to light body.
Finish: lingering bitter aftertaste.
Overall: refreshing and crisp lager. Enjoyable quenching beer for a hot day.

2.89/5  rDev -1.7%

Quite mediocre for a Belgian beer. Standard look and taste, nothing special here. A sour edge when it first hits the mouth, but finishes nicely. Bought this while travelling on business in the Southern Netherlands... there are much, much better local choices here.

2.4/5  rDev -18.4%

Light color, minimal head, no retention.

Light smell as well - a standard lager.

Mild taste. Pretty bland. Near end of glass is straight up gross tasting.

Watery, moderate carbonation

Easy to drink just to drink lots. Would never sit down and "enjoy" a jupiler.

I like to call this a drinking game beer.

Beer on tap (33cl), tasted in 1999.

Appearance: clear blond color, good sparkle
Smell: well hoppy
Taste and mouthfeel : malted
Drinkability: a slight and balanced beer in the style Pilsener, correct but without more

Review translated from french 6-1-2008.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Jupiler from Brasserie Piedboeuf