Jupiler - Brasserie Piedboeuf

Brasserie Piedboeuf visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jupiler Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a night full of Jupiler in Belgium. A fair amount of head sat atop the brew for a short period of time. There were not many noteworthy smells and the taste was somewhat bland, yet pleasant at the same time. I'm not sure if I would buy this in a store if I saw it, but I wouldn't hesitate to order it on tap in a Belgian bar.

2.71/5  rDev -6.9%

Pale blonde with one finger of white head, lots of lace left on the glass. Smell is malty and not particularly aromatic, lightly grassy, mild sazz hops as well. Taste is malty up front, touches of caramel throughout, mild hop profile, there is also a cardboard like taste that comes and goes and was more noticeable towards the end. Average feel for the style, med carbonation, light body and feel. This isn't bad for what it is, its pretty close to being stella or lowenbrau or anything similar, one was ok on a hot day sitting on a patio but i will take a pass on this next time.

3.25/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this on tap at Fionn MacCool's. Waitress just said it was called Jupiler, so I'm assuming it is the standard one. Served in a branded glass. Pours a clear golden yellow colour with thin white head. Nice enough head retention, mild lacing. Smells pretty clean, some mild grassy hops and a bit grainy. Flavour has a hint of bitterness. This is a pretty nice lager on a hot day on a patio, so it hit the spot. Nothing worth seeking out, but I enjoyed it.

3.85/5  rDev +32.3%

To begin with, I would like to say that this is not a proper tasting. I bought a few bottles of Jupiler for the evening because it was only 30c per bottle. I've just opened one and started sipping from it and surprisingly this beer is really good from a bottle. I've had it a couple times before but on-tap and it was terrible.
Because I'm drinking it from a bottle it is difficult to say anything about appearance and smell, but the rest of the features is extraordinarily nice for a cheap commercial beer. It is worth stressing that it has something from Belgian ales - sweetness and banana aftertaste. I will definitely buy a crate of Jupiler the next time instead of Grolsch, Heineken or Hertog Jan.

2.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Transparent

S: Smells of classic Pilsener

T: Pilsener basic, no surprises

M: not last long, slightly bitter but also sweet enough

D: Getting drunk easily but without much flavor

Lager number one in Belgium, without strong business and great flavor without much originality. Often mixed with syrups to reduce the taste unpleasant.
ÉcouterLire phonétiquement

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Looks good poured the standard Belgian bar way, 2-finger head scraped off at the top. Light hop scent. Great beer for an all night social event, nothing too serious here, very fresh and dry, even tinny. Like its sister brands (Stella, Maes, Martens, etc.), soft texture and goes down fast. My personal choice for a fun night out.

2.65/5  rDev -8.9%

33cl Brown bottle (best before 21 Sep 2001) drank and reviewed 7 Jan 2011.

So this is Belgiums best selling beer, lets see why!

Poured into my stemmed 'Veltins' pilsner glass.

Pale golden in colour, clear and bright. Large snowy white head on top. Looked like a lager/pilsner/etc.

Minute hop aroma with a touch of cereal grain type esters.

Fairly bland, with only a hint of hops to give it any true flavours. It isn't sweet, nor is it bitter or sour. It does become a mouth drying lager as the beer leaves your throat, but it isn't a hop bitterness type of dryness, more a cardboard sort of dryness.

The sort of beer you'd want to quench your thirst after some hard labour and before having something you liked!

So why is so popular with Belgians? I blame the advertising industry (and InBev or whatever their name is at the moment), plus the ignorance of some Belgians when it comes to matters about beer. I'm sure that something simular could be said about the most popular beer in your country, no matter what it is!

3.2/5  rDev +10%

33cl bottle

A: Nice head light golden, pale straw colour, nice carbonation, overall looks like it shoulkd look

S: hops, malts, sweet bread

T: Basically the same thing as the smell only with a slight metallic taste

M/D: Good mouthfeel, very drinkable.

They have a lot of bad ones.

3.37/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap into a Juliper glass at a random bar in Oostvletern...Pours a piss clear gold, a white head with ok retention, but nice sticky lacing...The aroma is light grain and skunk, not terrible but I'm not happy either...The taste is light skunk, really pretty boring, a Belgian BMC but about 50 times better than BMC. No reason to ever drink though.

3.31/5  rDev +13.7%

Had to have this at some point in Belgium because it's everywhere. I had it on tap at a small restaurant over some lunch.

A: Slightly hazy pure gold. Offwhite 2 finger head with great retention.

S: Very clean with hints of floral hops. Some soap. Grass.

T: Basic and grainy with a bit of grass. Hint of sourdough bread with a touch of yeast.

Better than your typical euro pale... but still unmistakeably a euro pale.

3.28/5  rDev +12.7%

Being Belgian means this beer is very familiar.

L: To style: golden, relatively low carbonation but with an above-average head and lacing.

S: Nothing wild, a mild grainy smell.

T: Grainy and bitter, though not overpoweringly so.

M: Thin, even for a Lager.

D: Nicely refreshing and cheap, it's fairly uncommon to drink only one.

Jupiler is an everyday thirst-quencher or a beer you drink in large quantities in folk events (Doudou de Mons, Carnaval de Binche,...), never does it claim greatness; but as far as Lagers go, though I might be biased on this, it seems slightly ahead of the bunch.

Best served on tap.

2.09/5  rDev -28.2%

Well, this seems to be the everyman's drink in brussels. In fact everytime I saw a lag on the street drinking a beer, it was the familar red can of Jupiler.

I was curious... How bad could the Belgian equivalent of Budweiser be? I bought a can from a vending machine from Gare Midi and intended to drink it on the train home from Bruges the following day. However It followed me all the way back to Canada!

A: Not too bad looking... I mean I guess its to style. very pale, kind of still, not much head. but actually good lacing...

S: Hmm.. smells horrible. cooked veggies and sulfur. Could be worse than the macro trash we get here...

T: Dosent taste quite as bad as it smells... hey at least it tastes like something! Unlike many American lagers.

M: Thin, kind of still and stale feeling... quite bad indeed.

D: I suppose this is average undrinkability for the style, Although I'd probably reach for something with less off flavours if I want an easy drinking lager.

3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Had this beer out of the can. Served cool in a hotel water glass.

A-pale gold body, thick eggshell like head.

S-Saaz hop smell, metallic

T-sweet malt front, some funny corn flavor to boot

D-nice and drinkable for sure but nothing really interesting going on here. I might pass next time.

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

Sampled from at Caracole glass.

Pours a straw color , very clear, with very little head on top...I'm assuming much of what is accumulating at the top (which isn't much) is from the agitation in the glass.

Right up front, the aroma gives of a green grape smell. It's a very mild aroma, subtle fruited notes alongside some malted sweetness. It reminds me of this lemon-lime gatorade gum I used to chew when I played little league...very muted flavor.

The flavor of this one is like a Budweiser with some funky yeast and slight earthy notes. Bubblegum comes to mind, as well as tart grapes, lime, sweet malty notes, and maybe a slight presence of candy sugar.

The mouthfeel of this beer is quite active, giving a nice lift across the palate. However, the flavors are so muted and sweetly malty, that there is little to make it stand out.

In terms of drinkability, this one stands up against the best American macro-brews on a hot summer day (which it is, currently). Nothing to knock you off of your feet, and no unique characteristics about it. It's pretty plain, malty, bready, and basic.

This one was sent to me via a friend in Belgium along with a few other beers. In terms of what I've come to expect from a good Belgian ale, this one is forgettable.

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold color. Nose grain, like the mouth that tastes also cereals. The smell is quite unique grain and easily identifiable. The body is light at first but with a mouth-taste with a bitter taste characteristic of the Jupiler which is not really nice and comes quickly in the mouth. You can feel the finish of the bitterness of cereal a little dirty but pronounced.

2.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Clear, golden staw color.

S - Pretty mild, grain and grassy smell.

T - Fairly light and similar to the scent. A bit of mild malt and grainy base with a hint of grassy hops.

M - Crisp and clean taste. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Easy to drink with its mild, inoffensive flavors and mouthfeel.

Notes: Seems like this is one of the Macro-like offerings in Belgium. Not bad and probably slightly more flavor than Macros in the US, but if you are in Belgium there are so many better beers. I got this as a last resort eating in a fast food place because I wanted a beer to go with it, and this is what they had.

3.45/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank this beer during a bowling evening in Holland. Jupiler is a beer which is very available in Holland, not only on bottle but also on tap. It is a good and very drinkable pilsener.

The only thing which is a bit less is that it gave me a slight headache the next morning!

2.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Overall, this is a very average beer, hence my scores. It tastes just about like any other Euro pale lager, which is generally unimpressive.

However, it is far from repulsive, so if it isn't too pricey, it's a safe bet.

A: Flat saffron color, not much of a head or lace.

S: grainy, grassy...like a euro pale lager.

T: Fairly unassertive, everything is there but nothing stands out.

M & D: Overall this merits a below average drinkability because it feels like not much effort was put into it. I didn't really know what to expect when I ordered it, but I did expect better.

3.67/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased from the Coke machine at Gare De Midi in Brussels for $1.20. I can't seem to find it on Beerfly. Jupiler pours a light yellow with hints of gold and a thin white head that doesn't stick around. The aroma is mostly grainy but there are some floral hops in background. The flavor is light and dry but there is a pretty decent bitterness and some hop flavor hiding in there. Hints of honey linger in the after taste. When I was in Belgium (at least where we visited), this was the everyday beer, if you asked for a beer it's what you got. It's certainly nothing special, especially compared to the alternatives in the country, but I would much prefer it to its American equivalents.

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%

Well, I guess I found Belgium's answer to Schlitz! This beer was absolutely boring and tasted pretty gross. I got a can of it for my train ride out of Brussels and I wasn't expecting much, quite honestly, but I figured that the Belgians could at least make a cheapo beer more palatable. I was wrong. This was definitely a no-go. I drank it right from the head, so I didn't get a really good look at it but it was quite light from what I could see. Kind of a rank smell, but I think that's just how it is supposed to smell. Don't bother with this one, folks!

2.62/5  rDev -10%

Had this beer on tap in the European Union Area of Brussels. The beer looks like a typical pilsner, with a nice white head. The smell is nothing special, and the taste has some strange malty sweetness mixed with the regular bitterness that a pilsner should have. A decent beer for a hot summer day, where as other people also mentioned, any other pilsner would do. Only I didn't like the this type of sweetness in this beer....

2.3/5  rDev -21%

It was on tap at the Italian trattoria Zilli in Arnhem.

Just a ordinairy pilsener to me. Bright yellow wit a medium head. Very light body, hardly any hops, some grains and a bittersweet aftertaste.
A typical beer to flush away some food or to drink on a hot summernight when any cold pilsener will do.

3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

This beer was on tap in nearly every restaurant we visited in Belgium and several in Netherlands.

Basically a macro-lager but still better than BMC. Pretty gold with big white head. Served cold (apparently for the American tourist crowd?). Inoffensive aroma and taste but very refreshing.

Worked pretty well as a thirst quencher or as a "woman's beer".

2.3/5  rDev -21%

On tap at the Cafe Leffe in the Sablon area of Brussels, just down the street from our hotel.

A Lager look under a 2 inch head.

S Slightly sweet lager. Not interesting.

T As I suspected (which is why I put off tasting and rating this beer until the last moments of my trip) very close to water, a hint of sweetness and some barley. That is about it.

M Thin, weak.

D Good drinkability but then again so is water.

Notes: I had to try it when in Belgium but now I will not likely again!

1.58/5  rDev -45.7%

got this can at a shop across from the train station in Schaerbeek, Brussels, Belgium today. I don't like stinky beer and this one stinks, literally, like cabbage farts. Poured with a really nice big foamy textured head and a little lace. Pale clear gold color. the aroma shows up in the flavor too, but not as bad. Still. Hard to get around that.

Jupiler from Brasserie Piedboeuf