W.H.A.L.E.S. Imperial IPA - J.J. Bitting Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

J.J. Bitting Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

(Beer added by: EStreet20 on 11-12-2005)

Mudawg, Feb 20, 2012

TheCzig, Jun 28, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

A - golden brown body with a nice solid 1" of fluffy detergent-like white head, tons of very sticky lacing

S - overwhelmingly piney, hoppy - not too impressed there

T - piney, bitter, very earthy

M - nice thick and heavy IPA, reminded me of Dogfish Head's 90 Minute

O - overall a very nice bitter IPA and a little on the heavy side making it an Imperial which is nice (it's heavy but not TOO heavy)

facundoCNB, Jan 17, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Poured from cask into pint at the brewpub.
Pours a hazy brownish orange with thick foamy head. Looks really nice.
Smell is malty hops and somewhat soapy.
Taste is very mild on hop flavor but very bitter and earthy. Its smooth and creamy. There is so much to potentially love here, but while it has great qualities, it just seems to lack that final push for the gold. Nice try but no cigar here. Just slightly above average for me.

DrinkSlurm, Apr 16, 2012

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Wizzman, Apr 11, 2012

blange3, Feb 21, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this while at JJ Bitting's restaurant, and I really enjoyed it. I bought a growler to share with friend. This review is based on a two day old growler. [not part of this review: they filled the growler properly and the carbonation was proper after two days]

The beer is a nice amber color with single finger head. The beer smells like an array of hops (I remember there being four types on the menu).

It tastes almost like a double IPA. It is very well balanced. There is little bitterness.

If you find yourself in central NJ, you should try this beer and take a growler home.

ummswimmin, Jun 19, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

ArtZan, Mar 12, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

24 hour old growler to perfect pint. Nice cloudy amber color but pretty weak on the head, laces well though. Smell is sweet and mild very tropical and very apricot a little like jai alai. Taste follows with caramel malt, tropical fruit, mild bitter on the middle of the tounge and strong burnt sugar sweetness. Wow jj bittings must have a new brewer, this stuff is fantastic. Mouthfeel good but too much warming yeast in the stomach. Overall a big thumbs up to the brew, finally something great out of jersey.

jizfiasco, Nov 08, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a clear amber. Creme head. Head smells like bathroom soap because I just washed my hands. Doh! I care more how it tastes though of course. Smooth. Damn smooth. Dangerously smooth. Don't expect a west coast Impy IPA screaming in your mouth. Subtle and smooth hop tones. Fruity syrup thing. Feel is slick and thick. Lower carbonation. Thank Good this thing is only 7.2%. If it were any higher in alcohol, we'd all be doomed.

I liked this one so much I brought a growler home with me.

RblWthACoz, Apr 06, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Enjoyed at the brewpub.
Served as a pale golden beer with massive white puffy head.
Smell is massively hoppy with strong notes of grass and pine.
Taste is a sharp bitterness, but is mellowed by some sitrus hop flavor and a bit of malt.
Nice and full in the mouth wth a good dry finish.
Great example of the style with nice drinkability.

tgbljb, Dec 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at JJ Bitting. Presented a sap like amber color, with light head. Smelled earthy and roasty, with hops evident. Taste was mellow and earthy going to a perfectly balacned hoppy finish. Really excellent, full bodied brew. Will definitely be back for more.

stingrayvr6, Mar 29, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

W.H.A.L.E.S. is an acronym for Woodbridge NJ's homebrewers association. They meet at JJ Bitting's monthly. My family took me to that excellent brewpub for my birthday tonight. I saw this imperial IPA on tap and had a pint. Reading from the menu it seems the brewery has decided to go with their DIPA recipe for a while. I'm hoping they bring it back frequently because it was delicious with dinner so I got my growler filled with it. Here goes my review.

Growler filled about an hour ago poured into a Brooklyn snifter glass.

A - A great red orange color with some tiny bubbles flying up to feed a nice two finger off white head. The head thins but stays till the end of the drink and leaves rings of lace all the way down the glass.

S - A great piny hop aroma at first, with a kick of citrusy hops in there. A nice bitterness to the smell.

T - A definite winner here. Bittterness flood in and hits you at first. It subdues just a bit to some sweet malt but the bitterness remains. At the end of the drink you get a nice hop punch, some pine, some citrus hit with a nice bitter hop aftertaste.

M - feels great in the mouth. A nice smooth feel that rolls around with the bitterness leading the way all over the mouth.

D - Not a complaint here. During dinner I remember wanting a nother sip of beer every time I got done chewing my food. Now as I'm drinking from my growler it leaves me wanting more as well. An excellent imperial IPA.

Notes: This was only my second trip to JJ Bitting since I've turned 21 three years ago. The first was a month ago when they had their IPA on cask but I think this is even better. Anyone in central NJ, drive to woodbridge now and try this beer. I'm hoping they have it on often because it truly is a treat.

EStreet20, Nov 12, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Served cask-conditioned tap:
When it arrived, orange with two-finger head that left rings of lacing down the side. The head thinned a bit, but was well-retained.
The smell was of citrusy wood. Some caramel came through.
The taste was wonderful. Floral hops, orange/lemon, with sweet malt giving it body. Thick, rich, hop/malt balance. The flavors were layered, giving each sip a different aspect.
The hop/malt taste was well-retained. Left a bitter, but tasteful, creamy flavor.
It was incredibly smooth. One of the best IPA's I've tasted.

jwc215, Jul 29, 2006