Fall Festivus - Cricket Hill Brewing Co.

Fall FestivusFall Festivus

Cricket Hill Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-08-2008)
2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

acurtis, Dec 31, 2011

RoryOMoore, Dec 23, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

clear copper colored amber with a nice thick two inch head of white foam that capped off the top and gave it a nice appearence

very light, which to be honest kinda dissapointed me. What I could pick up was very grainy and boring with big notes of cereal grain very apparent as well as a musty kinda of bread smell. Some light grassy hops There was a slight hoppiness in the finish, but again I stress light as it was really not a factor in the overall flavor. This was truly a malty lager and really not the normal flavor I would expectVery light bodied ale, actually lighter then I thought it would be which was suprising, but still not terrible just neded a little bit more to put it over the top. It did come come off a little bit slick and thin despite having really good carbonation

mikesgroove, Nov 22, 2011

bacher468, Nov 19, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance is a hazy dark gold. Smell has a hint of spice, some what floral. Good mixture of spice and hops on the taste. Mouthfeel is ok, hangs a little on the tongue. Overall, this is an ok tasting beer which finishes hoppy. We feel this beer misses a little, but is drinkable. Will go well with some beef.

barleyroad, Oct 27, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lightly hazed orange amber color with little head. Scent is quite sweet and leads with caramel and brown sugar, followed up by yeasty bread and stale nuts, faint grassy, pine and lemon hops. Taste a touch less sweet than nose dictated and overall less bold, brown sugary sweet, bready, nuty and mildly hoppy. Medum bodied, good carbonation. A lot going on in the nose, less in the taste, just a decent brew.

rfgetz, Oct 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +27.1%

Copper color body with a beige head that leaves very nice lacing. Light carbonation -- some noticeable bubbles.

Citrus and caramel with some noticeable piney hops. This is definitely one of Cricket Hills best smelling beers.

Caramel, citrus, piney hops, toffee, some alcohol detection. This is A very tasty beer!

Light body, medium carbonation, very crisp and easy going down.

What a surprise to see this at Apple Bees! It's really nice to see that they support their local brewery! This is a very tasty seasonal beer by Cricket Hill! At least one positive thing about my night was having this beer; it cheered me up while I watched my beloved Yankees fail miserably.

9InchNails, Oct 07, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Peak Organic Fall Summit Ale.

A: Clear amber with lots of tiny bubbles and a three-finger, white, foamy head that lasted a few minutes. Too foamy. Not much lacing.

S: Malt and hops. Mild. Kind of off.

T: Pretty hoppy. Not much malt flavor. A bit spicy. Mineral taste.

M: Light to medium bodied. Lively carbonation. Dry.

O: I didn't like this beer too much. The head was too foamy and the smell was off. The taste wasn't much better.

SolipsismalCat, Sep 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Picked up a single from Abe's. The brewery describes this beer as earthy, and damn, I have to agree. The big, yeasty, nutty malt (and likely yeast) combine with earthy garden lemon rind. The aftertaste of this beer is almost like a lemon drop, and I kind of like that. This is an interesting ale in a typically boring style. I'll do a better job decanting next time, which is to say, I'd drink this again.

tempest, Sep 10, 2011

This beer pours a deep cloudy copper with a really nice fluffy two finger creamy white head. There is a surprising amount of haziness in this Bier. A boat load of clinging in this beer makes the whole glass pretty much look foamy.

Nose is a wee bit hoppy. At first I thought this to be an Oktoberfest, but I found out not. Nice floral and cirtusy hop notes with some spiciness, mostly cloves. Lots of sweet caramel malts as well.

The flavor comes thru semi hoppy but it is by no means strong though, nor does it have much of a lasting aftertaste. Just a nice juicy citrus and pine hop addition. Then the spicy and bready malts come through partnered with a nice creamy mouthfeel.

A nice change for a Fall seasonal, but one that I think would be better earlier in this season rather than later.

cooch69, Sep 10, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Transcribed from undated notes.

To say that I did not get much head would be gilding the lily. Realistically, it settled into wisps before I had a chance to engage my pen. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber with the haze attributible to my aggressive pour in which I stirred up some of the sediment at the bottom. I did not mind it, but others may want to be aware that it is bottle-conditioned, apparently. Nose had a maple-sugary sweetness underlain by a piney hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of pine hops on the tongue. Finish had the same pine flavor. How to quantify this one? I like the Cricket Hill peeps, I generally like their beers, I like hoppy beers, but I do not think of a "Fall Festivus" as hoppy.

woodychandler, Jun 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear amber/yellow color, apparent carbonation, frothy white head, decent retention and lacing. Smell bready and malty, some toasted malt and caramel. Taste light and malty, sweet up front balanced by some hop bitterness in the finish. Spicy finish, almost clove-like. Very drinkable, a bit light but solid brew, nothing wrong with it.

stingrayvr6, Nov 11, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a pint glass. The pour is a clear orange slightly amber color with just a very thin white head that vanishes almost instantly and doesn't leave much more lace. Lots of visible carbonation. The smell is mostly candied orange with a twinge of barley and caramel to add a bit of sweet graininess. The taste is dry bready malts with a bit of citrus and caramel to the finish. A very bready and grainy beer that kind of leaves a bit of a mineral aftertaste. The mouthfeel is decent; light body and expected carbonation. For my money, I think I've had better ambers. This is fair enough and easy enough to drink.

Bendurgin, Oct 29, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a very clear and attractive orangish light amber color, but has almost no head. The slight ring of foam does leave some lace on the glass, but it there is not a whole lot to write about as far as the head goes.

The aroma nice and floral with hints of orange zest and lemon. It is a pretty subdued nose, with a some slightly toasty malt character.

The flavor is quite balanced and not as malt forward as some ambers I have had. Citrusy, slightly floral and spicy hops give way to caramel malt sweetness and a bit of toasted character and some grass. There is also a nice fruitiness to this beer, but as it warms I am picking up a bit of an off putting plastic like flavor.

The mouthfeel on the lighter side of medium with subdued carbonation. It finishes very well, with a nice balanced feel that pretty much disappears.

This is a very drinkable beer, but just not very interesting. I am not sure what makes this a fall ale, and to be totally honest I think the name is the best part.

zoso1967, Oct 22, 2010

A- nice amber color with a nice head

S- smells like a red ale should slightly hoppy and malty

T- light but good flavor compares favorably to the best reds

M- very smooth beer with no bitterness

D- Very drinkable beer could easily have several of these but alas only bought one

ejimhof, Oct 21, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -3.6%

On-tap 9/21/2010 at The Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, fruit, nuts and a little bit of hops.

T: The taste is very bready with a hearty malt character up front. Then some sweet flavors of caramel, citrus and other fruits come in. The hops presence is mild and provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, it's not a bad beer but there are several others that I would choose first.

TheManiacalOne, Sep 28, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a clear burnished gold with one finger off white head, decent lacing

Slight smells of caramel malt and a hint of nuttiness, leafy hops

Tastes pretty much like it smells with a very malt forward flavor, slight bitterness toward the end

Light to medium bodied with low carbonation and a touch of syrupyness towards the end

Overall, goes down pretty smooth and would go great with low intensity fall activities, not something I'd want as an only beer for the evening, but not something to pound a sixer of either. Kinda like a slightly sweeter/ less nutty Newcastle

MrOH, Sep 20, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle on 12/25/09

A - Pours a deep orange brown with just some spotty bubbles

S - not alot of aroma of all, just some light malts and citrus

T - light malt, some brown sugar and lemon, not alot going on here

M - good carbonation along with some bitterness

D - light flavor, nothing amazing, just easy drinking due to lack of flavor

mikereaser, Jul 07, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

12 ouncer into a pilsner - fridge - Fall 2009 brewing

Appearance: Transparent golden orange and yellow beer with a 1" tall, off-white head. There is a ton of carbonation bubbles that cling to the sides of the glass and don't let go. Looks like quite an active beer. Great retention and plenty of lace on the glass for the top-off.

Smell: Some pepper, clove and nutmeg are all quite subdued in strength. Munich malt freshness and an underlying cereal grain aroma. No hops.

Taste: Mild flavors of cereal, nutmeg and some crisp hops. A nicely balanced beer that is aching for more maltiness!!!

Mouthfeel: Crisp, lightly bodied, well carbonated and very refreshing. Nothing cloying in this beer. Just a solid, mild brew. Not as spicy as I thought it would turn out.

Drinkability: Excellent. Not a powerhouse, but worth returning to for a few rounds.

Risser09, May 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours an orangish gold hue with a nice tall head.

S: Light blend of spices and hops.

T: Nice blast of hops up front. Some cereal grains to provide sweetness. Real nice balance between hops and malt.

M: Medium in body, smooth, creamy.

D: Good, I think this is a solid as hell beer. My favorite of those I have tried from Cricket Hill.

tpd975, Feb 13, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up a few weeks back because it was available via the single bottle. I have no idea if this is play on the Seinfeld episode but I've never had a Fall Festivus beer before and after having this, I'm not sure if I'll ever have one again. This doesn't look or feel like an American Amber and only because I've let it warm up quite a bit am I even getting this down...

The pour to this was alright - very hazy, a murky apricot hue, and decent head to boot. The lacing was there but didn't last that long. The taste is very sharp - think grapefruit, rind, and an acrid metallic undertone with a bit of wheat and rye thrown in for thickness. The aftertaste lingers quite a bit and this almost reminds me of an inferior gin in terms of the mouthfeel. Although I love a good Sapphire and Tonic, there's just something missing in this beer. It's probably more malt as there just doesn't seem to be enough of a backbone to this.

The ABV% isn't listed and I've hardly felt it as I've worked my way through my glass. I think that I'm so used to the American Ambers from Troegs that something like this is a stylistic opposite. While I've had worse beers, this is probably my biggest disappointment for 2009 and I'm glad that I didn't start off the near year this way. Only worth a try because of its single-bottle availability and ability to clean my mouth out of any food or drink I've had beforehand.

JerzDevl2000, Dec 18, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: hazy orange in color with some yellowish highlights. A two inch head lasts a while before breaking apart.

Smell: floral hops and some sweetness is detectable.

Taste: caramel, orange, pear, and a floral hop bitterness are most notable, but there is a bit of earthiness here too.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and lightly dry at the finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability: this beer went down easily and more than one could be had in a session.

Gavage, Nov 07, 2009
Fall Festivus from Cricket Hill Brewing Co.