East Coast Lager - Cricket Hill Brewing Co.

East Coast Lager
No picture uploaded.

Cricket Hill Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: IrishRedRock on 08-17-2002)
1.5/5  rDev -55%

This was shared with a couple BAs at work. It poured a very BMC esque bright and clear gold with no head. It smelled of pale malt and tortilla chips. The flavor was solely of tortilla chips, minus the salt. It had literally nothing else at all going on. It was so grainy it was ridiculous. It drank light and smooth as it should have. It left that annoying grainy, corn tortilla flavor behind. And this beer has a 97 rating on ratebeer? How?!? Overall this is awful and is a definite avoid!

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

This beer was a light yellow, like very weak tea. There wasn't much aroma, maybe a little malt if you tried real hard. The taste was kind of a sour malt with a small amount of herbs. The second part was so light it was hard to pick anything out. It's texture was watery. This one was not so unpleasant I couldn't drink it to be polite, but I had to work to finish the pint.

2.2/5  rDev -33.9%

appearance - Clear straw color,a small head formed but didn't stick around. Little lace on the glass.

smell - Sweet smell, and some grains.

taste - Balance of malt and grains here.

mouthfeel - Light-medium body.

drinkability - I never saw this brand before, and thought I would try it. Wasn't anything great. Was ok, wouldn't buy it again. Seemed like macro lager that I was drinking.

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Medium yellow with a medium-sized, white, foamy head that rapidly diminishes to a film. Very little lacing.

Smell: Mostly malts. Grain, cereal, light yeast and a light floral hops presence.

Taste: Nondescript malts with a slight hoppy crispness, but it’s a little too perfumey for a lager. The finish is medium in duration, metallic and not pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Thin body (a bit TOO thin, watery texture, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Just didn’t enjoy this one. No it’s not awful, but there are far better ones out there. The finish and mouthfeel ruined it for me.

2.58/5  rDev -22.5%

Fresh bottle. Pale yellow with initial white fizzy head. Gazzy overcarbonated, with metallic in aftertaste. The lagerish taste is overwhelmed by the process, much like a macro. Not much taste here, a tad hops and more malt. Not finishable, but perhaps meat tenderizer.

2.68/5  rDev -19.5%

I had this one on tap.

Poured a lighter golden color with a very small sized white head. I had a hard time really picking anything out on this. I can't say it is offensive nor good as there really wasn't anything to it.

Notes from: 9/19/04 - Note to self, seek this one out again to see if it is any different.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Unfortunately this was a low point of the Stoudt's Microbrew Fest for me. I found this to be a sour lager with really no discernable flavors other than a boring wimpy malt and sour aftertaste. It is not an appalling beer just not exciting either. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth but with out any taste what good is mouthfeel. I'll give this beer another shot but I poured out my last swig to replace it with something that had more substance.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Big foamy head goes down slowly. Clear pale yellow beer. 12 oz. bottle with a picture of a cricket. No freshness dating found. Aromas detected were malty with a hint of hops and skunk. Taste was malty, with slight spice, possible hint of corn. Lightly bitter finish with a strange aftertaste of raw hops. Mouthfeel is light and watery. Sure you could drink a lot of this beer, but why would you. An average offering in my opinion.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Received in an open-ended East Coast lager trade from steelersxl. Thanks Joe!

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a hazy apricot body in my tulip with a relatively small (1/2 finger) off-white head. It retains decently, leaving lace down the sides as it vanishes into a thin collar. Slow bubbles up the glass.

S: Lemon, grain, and floral hops, with a touch of apricot. It's not particularly sharp in any of those, though.

T: Grainy and sweet with a lightly floral hop bitterness to it. Lemony in the aftertaste with apricot on the exhalation. I was hoping I'd find them more in the main taste. It's flavorful enough, but I've had other pale lagers that stood out much more.

M: Light-bodied. Low on the carbonation. Just slightly dry, with lingering floral bitterness that complements the lemon nicely.

D: Using my rubric that a C represents an average for the style, this is slightly below average... Though not bad by any means.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a beautifully clear pale yellow, topped with a short bloom of white, fluffy head. If I didn't pour it myself, I'd mistake it for a B/M/C product. Incredibly clear, with tiny bubbles rising slowly through it's clarity. The head settles into an even, filmy coating, leaving sparse blobs of lace clinging absently to the glass.
Despite the fluff of head, the aroma displays very little. Soft, vaguely sweetish malt, with the barest hints of lemony esters, just on the cleaner side of apple. Very subtle. No real hop profile, save an underlying floral tang. Some boiled corn sweetness becomes arroarent with a swirl of the glass. It's actually quite credible for a european continental lager. I could mistake this for Kronenbourg or Stella Artois very easily. Very clean, with that distinctive, airy, lack of presence.
The flavor starts with an initial nothingness, just a vaguely sweet liquid on the tongue. Some toasty, pilsy malt flavor comes through, mostly pinned beneath a soft, watery apple esteriness. Some lemongrass flavor easing into the finish, with a vague touch of floral hops. The aftertaste snaps off clean, only a mild, lingering green apple flavor on the back of the tongue. Light bodied, almost watery, with a bare, blank-faced carbonation and a semi-crisp mouthfeel.
Honestly, it's so light and unassuming there's really nothing to distinguish it from the masses of continental euro-lagers congesting the shelves. Perhaps a little maltier, with a more pronounced apple flavor, but I honestly feel like I'm flailing for some kind of flavor. There's really nothing there. I'd rather drink this because it's domestic, but I'd prefer their american ale. Nothing I'd buy again unless faced with a poor selection.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

"I'll take this over a Budweiser"

purchased at Magnolia's Wines and Liquors in Chatham, NJ.

no aroma detected, decent head.

light golden color, head stays around till the not so bitter end.

an ok beer I could mow the lawn with, but nothing to go out of your way for.

2.85/5  rDev -14.4%

A friend of mine from New Jersey brought this over but didn't know anything about it. Bottles are dark brown with green stencil or laserpaint.

Not a very impressive beer but i was looking for something light in the fridge. Very light in color, not great carbonation, overall a pretty average beer.

2.88/5  rDev -13.5%

Another on-premise sample from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa... props to the guys for the tastings... Copper-colored with not too much going by ways of appearance... grain, corn, slight hops aroma... bread and butter taste, very light, easy-going, session-drinkable beer... not too heavy on flavor, but about average taste... crisp, refreshing... good for a hot summer day... All in all, not exciting or wonderfully appealing, but a good beer to kick back with some friends... a sociable brew but don't look for much in terms of flavor or character...

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

Got on growler, at the local watering hole.

Being as its my home land, I like drinking New Jersey beer, I like drinking it because I feel like we're connected, the beer and myslef that is, but I wasn't connected with this, the relationship was a lie from the start.

Sure, its a nice bottle, got a cricket on it, says east coast lager, I live on the east coast! I like lager! I must like this. This was more of a Pale Ale. I like Lager, don't get me wrong, but this beer was all hops, with a nice little bready hoppy citrus match up, which really doesn't sound much like a lager to me.

East Coast Lager from Cricket Hill Brewing Co.