Double Diamond Winter Ale - Dick's Brewing Company

Double Diamond Winter AleDouble Diamond Winter Ale

Dick's Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: freed on 11-10-2003)
3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is a deep brownish red in color, slightly hazed, but produces neither head nor evidence of high viscosity. Spicy and phenolic aroma. Big flavors of spice. Very winter warmer. Suggests prunes and dark fruit, and betrays a fair amount of its alcohol content. I get nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. There's clearly some residual sugar in here, but the finish is dry, with plenty of beta hops to balance out the sweetness. Another really enjoyable winter warmer for me this season!

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle into pintglass.
A: Strong coffee brown, nicely opaque. Vigorous head. Holds better if poured a little warm.
S: Mostly malt and doesn't really give the full picture.
T: Best aspect of this beer. Nutty and dark, with a just a little burnt in it. The malt balance in this one is among the better of any NW brewer's winter offerings, and it has been consistent and consistently good for years.
M: Mmmm. Gets better the closer to the back of the throat it gets. Slosh it around.
D: Don't like a lot of the other Dicks beers but the DD is the exceptional exception. A goto option on any cooler shelf you can find it on. Love that they haven't even changed the GRAPHICS for 10 years, why mess with a good thing?

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Libby pours a clear, dark crimson color with a very creamy tan head. Retention is decent and not much lacing.

Nose is a nice interplay of choco-caramel maltiness and bruised strawberries and plums. I dont get much hop aroma or alcohol. Malt and fruit...pretty straightforward.

Taste throws a nice nutty curveball in the mix along with the aforementioned overripe fruit and strong, hearty malt presence. A fairly substantial bitterness creeps in slowly on the finish to dry things out, very nearly like biting a pine needle at the very end. Mouthfeel is smooth, and I think much of that can be attributed to the very fine carbonation. I like it, but the flavors are kinda all over the place. Top 25 winter warmers...sure. Top 10...prolly not. If I lived in WA though, I would surely look forward to a sixer of this every year, thanks Matt for a tasty rendition of a style that rarely gets any production love here in the south.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz. bottle procured at John's Marketplace, consumed in Saint Arnold's shaker pint glass, 11.8.11.

One finger slightly off white head tiny bubbles, medium dissipation with a decent layer of head retained, above average lacing. Reddish amber clear body, continual stream of carbonation streams rising up one side of the glass. Caramel, light molasses and faint stone fruit in the nose, plums, floral hops. Same malt profile on the tastebuds, fairly big caramel hit, and a nice light resiny hop finish. Mouthfeel is a bit on the light side of medium, light effervescence. Tasty stuff, though hardly sessionable at the ABV. Yummy, to be honest one of my favorite PNW Winter Warmers. Makes me reflect I should be drinking more from this first wave northwest brewery. Tasty.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty simple beer here. Done very well, but nothing too exciting. Pours a small head that only sticks around for a minute or so, leaves nice lacing throughout the glass. Nice dark brown color with hints of red in it. Smell is extremely malty, very sweet. Taste is just the same, very malty and unbelievably sweet, that is really the only shocking thing about this beer, I know malty beers are supposed to be sweet, but wow, this was on another level. It didn't taste bad, or overpowering, just really sweet. Drinkability was decent, might have been higher if that sweetness was diluted. Now that I think about it more and more I can't decide if the intense sweetness was bad or good, I guess I'm neutral on it, either way, not a bad beer.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

NOTE: The Bottle I have says it's ABV is 7.5%, not 8.5. Regardless, here goes!

A - Pours a deep mahogany-amber hue, with a big, thick tan head, with excellent head retention and lacing.

S - Smell is of spices, molasses, nuts, dark fruits, and toffee. Not a potent aroma, but one that captures the essence of the style well.

T - Taste is of bready caramel/molasses malts, with wintery spices (nutmeg?), toffee, cherry, other dark fruits, nuts, and a hint of balancing pine towards the end. Warming alcohol. This is definitely a winter warmer done right here!

M - This beer is on the higher side of medium body-wise, with fairly modest carbonation, and a creamy, almost chewy mouthfeel.

D - The ABV is pretty deceptive here. This beer is delicious and relentlessly commands another sip!

Overall - This is definitely one of the better offerings from Dicks (Not that I've had anything I don't like from them yet!), and one of the better local examples of this style that I've come across. This is a great winter warmer. Highly recommended!

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a pint glass at just under 50 degrees. Very nice translucent amber color, 1 inch head with good retention and lacing. Smell is all caramel malt, slightly one-dimensional and weak for a winter warmer. Taste is more aggressively malty, rich and heavy with a very sweet finish. Creamy, medium mouthfeel with a long-lasting residual sweetness which detracts a little from the otherwise solid drinkability. A good winter warmer, but probably one I won't revisit as long as I have access to Jubelale and Celebration.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark reddish color nice sized frothy white head, nice sticky lacing down the glass
S: Roasted malts, lots of earthy scents in there as well.
T: Sweet malt up front, earthy hops along with plentiful amount of spiciness.
M: Medium to full bodied beer, nice amount of carbonation goes down with a nice creaminess
D: This is a nice beer, one of my favorites from Dick's.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Single purchased for $1.69 at John's Market.

A-Poured a medium amber hue with a one+ finger head that receded into a modestly sticky lace.

S-Piney and citrus hops and some biscuit like malt. More like a DIPA toward a light barleywine than a winter warmer, but I'm not complaining. Nice effect for a 7.5% ABV (according to the label).

T-Hoppy bitterness with a nicely balanced malt sweetness I find very pleasant. It is a lot like a light barleywine. I love the taste. I often am disappointed by DIPAs that are more like barleywines, but to have a winter warmer with aroma and taste like a barleywine, without the ABV to kick your ass is very nice.

M-Very smooth and well balanced. Nice carbonation level.

D-This went down very easily and I would readily reach for another. Wish I had bought more. First time I have had this and I will reach for this again. Also wish it wore more readily available.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a copperish gold color with good carbonation and a nice dirty white head. Nose is spicy, caramel. Taste is balanced, slight hoppy finish, lots ofcaramel, some toasted malt, a very slight amount of dark fruits and some booze. Mouthfeel is nice coating, caramel goodness being creamy ad coating. Very good Winter Warmer.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz. bottled poured into my Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass, received as an extra from ScreamForMe, thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy dark toffee color which when held up to the light becomes a nice dark amber. A one finger so white head forms and leaves just as quickly, pretty much no lacing...

Malt bomb in the nose, bready, caramel malts dominate and make for an overall sweet aroma. A bit of a yeasty aroma mixed with some dark fruits and "Christmas" spices make for an interesting nose...

Hoppier than expected with an equally unexpected, albeit really nice warm alcohol presence has made me doubt my nose. Initially, I didn't believe I was drinking the same beer I smelled. Beer is malty and somewhat sweet, some of the spice in the nose shows through, but both aspects are more subtle than I expected, surprisingly hoppy and warm from the alcohol...

Medium bodied, depth of flavor with an alcohol burn all keeping your palette satisfied...

Pleasantly surprised by this one, normally not a big Winter Warmer or Brown fan in general, I really enjoyed this one, probably would've enjoyed it even more in December not this balmy 35 degree spring day...

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

I must first say that I've never been impressed with Dick's offerings. They've been mediocre at best in my book. I decided to give them another whirl with Double Diamond.

What a pleasant surprise! A winter warmer meets English barley wine. Very smooth and the warmth from the abv is definitely there.

I'd love to try this after a year (or two) of age on it. That's my plan....

Next review!

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Could there have been a better beer for the first meeting of the new city hall than this? A thirty degree night atop this unfinished beast with three 08 double diamonds. We called this meeting to celebrate life. This beer is in fact a winter warmer and as the tempered high gravity glided down our throats, our very souls were warmed. a year in the bottle has made this beer truly smooth and very easy in the frosty night.
Dick, you will be missed.

Double Diamond Winter Ale from Dick's Brewing Company