Dude XXIPA - Oceanside Ale Works

Dude XXIPADude XXIPA

Oceanside Ale Works visit their website

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 09-03-2010)
1.16/5  rDev -65.3%

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

awful upfront, awful finish--like eating ragweed and then licking a 2x4

1.75/5  rDev -47.6%

2.08/5  rDev -37.7%

2.33/5  rDev -30.2%

Aroma of grain and a whiff of the compost pail. Standard orangey amber color with a slight foam. Carbonation is below par. It feels a little greasy in the mouth.

Intense, overpowering bitterness. A taste of spoiled fruit. Dishwatery aftertaste. Even a distinct hint of plastic. I find it hard to believe this is 10.4% as stated on the label. I thought it might be some bittering juice for a lager or six, but I wouldn't spoil a Colt 45 with this.

This is my least favorite brew from Oceanside. And maybe the single worst unspoiled DIPA ever in my experience. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Baron's Market in San Diego. Bottle code is 082614, which is just six weeks ago if I read right.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

Aroma and taste are a bit onion like. I expected a citrusy west coast ipa. Color is copper and clear with white sticky head. I guess I don't care for the onion-vegetable hop flavor and smell.

Just okay. In a market where DIPAs are everywhere, this one does not stand out. Low aroma, body is too light. You could do better for the money.

This beer... It was alright butdidn't have the crisp bitterness I'd expect from a double IPA, also the carbonation was intense.

I had it from a bottle (22 oz), and poured into a wine glass. I started my pour slow which was good as it immediately foamed very thick almost overflowing.

I got most of the way through but had to pour the last 4 oz out as the carbonation made it too hard to drink.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

On-tap at Pizza Port Carlsbad

A: The pour is a cloudy orange-amber color with a nice white head and some mild lacing.

S: Hmm this is probably the lightest nose on a DIPA that I've ever experienced. Subtle pine and citrus, otherwise it's faint bread notes.

T: The flavor is similarly bland. I pick up some light citrus (grapefruit, for the most part) and a moderate bitterness. Some bread and caramel malt sweetness, too.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Not one of Oceanside's better beers. I was expecting to enjoy this one, but found myself not doing so.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%