Dude XXIPA - Oceanside Ale Works

Beer added by: womencantsail on 09-03-2010

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

2.37/5  rDev -29.7%

Aroma of grain and a whiff of the compost pail. Standard orangey amber color with a slight foam. Carbonation is below par. It feels a little greasy in the mouth.

Intense, overpowering bitterness. A taste of spoiled fruit. Dishwatery aftertaste. Even a distinct hint of plastic. I find it hard to believe this is 10.4% as stated on the label. I thought it might be some bittering juice for a lager or six, but I wouldn't spoil a Colt 45 with this.

This is my least favorite brew from Oceanside. And maybe the single worst unspoiled DIPA ever in my experience. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Baron's Market in San Diego. Bottle code is 082614, which is just six weeks ago if I read right.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

3.2/5  rDev -5%

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer... It was alright butdidn't have the crisp bitterness I'd expect from a double IPA, also the carbonation was intense.

I had it from a bottle (22 oz), and poured into a wine glass. I started my pour slow which was good as it immediately foamed very thick almost overflowing.

I got most of the way through but had to pour the last 4 oz out as the carbonation made it too hard to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

This one is better than the reviews suggest in my opinion. It looks fantastic when poured - a nice bronze with a thick creamy head. Its smell and taste are not typical of other IPA's or Double IPA's and I think that might have affected the ratings. As others have said the expected whollop of hops isn't really at the forefront, but it is there masked somewhat by a citrusy grapefruit flavor. It also seems to have sort of a Belgian effervescence and creaminess. So the Dude doesn't really fall in with IPA convention, but I liked its uniqueness.

4.52/5  rDev +34.1%

1.16/5  rDev -65.6%

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber at a Temecula 76 gas station (wish gas stations back home carried craft...and I mean real craft). Halfway through the bottle and I'm having a hard time believing this is a Double IPA! For one thing, the hops are nonexistent except a tad in the aftertaste....however, overall this is a really good ale. Maybe a Double Pale??? I'd get this again though, enjoyed it!

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%