Hopf Helle Weisse - Weissbierbrauerei Hopf

Hopf Helle WeisseHopf Helle Weisse

Weissbierbrauerei Hopf visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2002)
jcalabre

2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

I originally sampled this beer on 26 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
This is a clear wheat beer w/ a very light body & even less flavor. I guess this should be categorized as a "lawnmower" beer. There are far better German beers out there

09-03-2003 02:04:19 | More by jcalabre
jdklks

Nevada

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

extremely light light yellow, like lemonade, and disgustingly fizzy. has a bready scent, with banana and lemon. its a hefeweizen.

wheat. extremely dry and quite dull. a sweet light fruit flavor through the middle, with just a hint of hops. bready to the point of having to filter grain through my teeth (okay not quite, but you get the point). just a hefeweizen, probably a drainpour.

light and fizzy... drinkability gets a 2 instead of a one because it is so light. however, it makes my stomach twitch a little, so i doubt ill find a way to get to the end of this.

10-12-2009 04:14:12 | More by jdklks
Padron4KM

Arizona

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%

16 oz bomber, no freshness date.
Pours out a hazy golden yellow with a thick, but rapidly disapating off white head. Little to no lacing.
aroma is light banana, some wheat, and a little clove.
Flavor is citric, with a nice spicyness on the finish.
Average hefe.

05-28-2005 05:39:19 | More by Padron4KM
Naerhu

Japan

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance: Active carbonation, pure white head, yellow body.
Aroma: Sour lambic aroma.
Tasting: Sour, refreshing, light, wheaty lemony, cloves. Practically no sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Super light, far too much zest, crisp.
Drink: This is picnic beer. Might choose it over bud, but not sure.

02-09-2005 03:12:08 | More by Naerhu
Crosling

Colorado

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Cloudy nectarine skin with a rocky white head. The aroma is dominated by hints of wet cardboard and mop water, yet the typical banana/clove/fruit and funky yeast scents are still there. Big, sour citrus fruits with notes of banana and clove, bready malts along with a musty and earthy yeast character.

04-26-2006 02:47:47 | More by Crosling
BeerManDan

2.9/5  rDev -22.9%

When first poured, it was a hazy golden wheat color with some foam. The smell of spice and wheat fill the nose. I wouldn't say I could smell cloves, just some kind of a spicy nature. The taste was of a thick beer with some spice and wheat. The turn off for me was that the finish was a bitter/sour taste on the palate and for me, that was not very pleasant.

11-21-2003 22:59:39 | More by BeerManDan
ifnkovhg

2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

By the watery mouthfeel and *very* subdued flavor profile, in a blind test I would have thought this to be an American Hefe. I think another reviewer called this a "lawnmower beer," and I'd have to agree, if not for the pricetag (see below).

This looks like a good Hefe and actually smells rather promising -- wheat, cloves, maybe some banana. But the taste is just so faint. I paid over $4 for a 500ml bottle, and am shocked. Ayinger's Hefe was more than a dollar less and is sooo much better.

05-14-2009 02:57:59 | More by ifnkovhg
westcoastbeerlvr

01-10-2013 00:47:21 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
stcules

Italy

Yellow greenish, with a lot of carbonation. Quite hazy. Beautiful white foam, weizen-style.
The smell is quite fruity, with banana, and a generous amount of cloves, that mitigates the sweetness.
In spite of the apparent carbonation, in the mouth it is not excessive. Less sweet than you can expect, and quite balanced. Wheat.
In the spicy aftertaste, with cloves, fruity again.
Pleasant.

06-25-2006 12:07:28 | More by stcules
Cozzatoad

Italy

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

500ml bottle

A- Very cloudy yellow. Generous head with good retention and nice lacing. Visible carbonation

S- Classic hefeweizen aroma, maybe a bit on the fresher side if that may be the right word. Yeast, and then some lemon and banana

T- Taste is again fresh and a peraphs a bit fruity. Not so much of the classic bready flavour but still enough wheat malts to look like a weizen. Then there are citrus, banana and maybe even orange, along with some spiciness. Very fresh but not that complex

M- Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Carbonation doesn't get prickly though, and gives life and freshness to the foamy mouthfeel

O- So, this beer has a very refreshing character and very good drinkability. It may sure be a nice summer beer. Not a very interesting one though

04-07-2011 13:03:16 | More by Cozzatoad
ultralarry2006

3.18/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle. Leaves a good two finger hefe-weizen style foamy head with decent retention, no lacing. Body is a cloudy pale straw yellow. Looks decent.

Smell - cloves and bananas, faint saltine cracker-like wheat, some faint spicy hops, and a little bit of barnyard must.

Taste - weaker than the already weak smell indicates, and weaker than one would want. Not impressive on the palate. Not bad, just not inspiring.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slightly creamy, slight hop oil slickness, a little semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is not bad, but it's not great or inspiring either.

10-05-2006 19:32:43 | More by ultralarry2006
WetCoaster

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: A somewhat murky pale, straw gold. Decent pure white head, but not nearly the creaminess or retention I'd expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's all there -- banana, clove, citrus, paper -- but it's quite a timid little thing, just glances at you before grabbing mommy's leg.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nice citrusy zing with a wheat cracker dryness. There's a slight clove flavor, but again, very mild compared with some of the beefier (i.e. better) versions I've had. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

Drinkability: Oh, quite good, nothing to offend you here. Great as a beverage, not so much as a beer. McWheat.

09-23-2006 03:18:54 | More by WetCoaster
cjgator3

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours an unfiltered pale yellow color with a huge fluffy head. Smell is right on cue to style with hints of banana and clove. Mouthfeel again is typical of the style with perfect carbonation and body. The taste however is a big letdown. It just does not posess enough body and character and is overly watered down. There are very small hints of the wheat flavor followed by the banana and clove just not enough. It just tastes like a lot is missing. Drinkability would be great on a hot summer day but it is just an average representation of a true hefe.

05-23-2006 00:16:21 | More by cjgator3
Boilermaker88

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Presented in a 16.9oz brown bottle with green lettering. Poured a slightly cloudy straw yellow color with a fizzy, bubbly, quick-to-die white head and a ton of carbonation.
Smell is of bready malt and a hint of clove.
Taste was rather one-dimensional. Had a solid malt taste and a mellow clove spiciness but was missing the usual banana flavor anticipated in a beer of this style. Has a grassy taste.
Feel was very light, dry, crisp and refreshing.
Overall, I found this beer to be on a rung or two below what I consider the best hefeweizens out there. This beer was understrength in taste and missing the banana flavor usually associated with a German wheat beer. The Hopf Weissbock is much better.

09-14-2003 04:10:29 | More by Boilermaker88
searsclone

Arizona

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

I agree with mithrascrour's review almost to the letter. The only thing that I don't agree with is the drinkablility. About halfway through my glass, I found it to be almost offensive. The flavor seemed to go towards a bad macro hefe as it warmed. It reminded me of Widmer. I don't think I'll have another, but as with all beer, I am glad that I tried it. If you are a fan of Widmer, I suggest that you try it, however, I personally prefer more banana, smoke, and bubblegum in my hefe...

03-13-2008 02:46:31 | More by searsclone
GraduatedCashew

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

08-28-2013 22:01:15 | More by GraduatedCashew
SanDNigel

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

A- Straw colored with creamy white head
S- Fruity wheat- Apple-banana baby food
T- Lacking. Good but absent. Kiss of hops. Wheaty (obviously...)
M- Almost feels like the bubbles wont let the beer touch your tongue.
O- Refreshing but not exciting. A beer I would drink again if it was sitting in-front of me, but not one I would go out of my way to purchase

08-20-2013 14:30:27 | More by SanDNigel
BMoney575

Sampled on 7-17-09
Produced on L26807012

Pours an unbelievably cloudy pale yellow color, with a thin but long-lasting head and slow-moving lacing.

Smell is very beery, subtle clove and lots of wheat. Enjoyable, if not particularly complex.

Taste is rather bland and like the smell, very beery. Very bready, with just a hint of banana in the flavor. The finish is pleasant, but smacks of adjunct.

Mouthfeel is decent, but the carbonation is a little strong, you mouth seems filled with foam.

Drinkability is also decent, the beer is just not memorable.

Overall, there are much better hefes to be had.

07-17-2009 21:33:58 | More by BMoney575
qcitydarkstar

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

I must start this review by stating that I bought this beer on a whim (and with some hesitance) because it was on “sale” for 99 cents for a 16.9 fl oz. bottle. This indicates to me that it is probably old, lightstruck or some other negative.

It poured a murky, light amber with a bright white head approximately one inch in depth. This is obviously an unfiltered wheat, as the body is filled with particulate. A heavily carbonated beer, bubbles continue to race to the top fifteen to twenty minutes after originally being poured. The scent is of musky clove and cinnamon. The taste is very light for the style, reminiscent more of a Kristall Weisse instead of a Hefe. Banana and clove notes are present, as typical for this style, but I also detect some light apple and fresh citrus. This is a very refreshing, sessionable brew, but not that complex. This could be due to age, but all-in-all, this is not a bad beer and my ratings reflect such.

03-11-2006 22:50:54 | More by qcitydarkstar
ElGordo

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

I didn't get to actually drink much of my bottle of this due to a glassware mishap detailed here:

Pours a cloudy golden with orange highlights and a smallish head for a weissbier. Yeasty, hoppy aroma with some banana notes is unmistakably a hefeweizen. Nice, sweet palate lacks a nice hop presence, but there is a good lemony, citrusy zing mixed with the German yeast. Mouthfeel is slightly foamy. This is pretty good, I wish I'd had more than about four ounces left in the bottle after my spill.

02-19-2005 01:42:25 | More by ElGordo
tony223366

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed in Mid May 2011.

A: Cloudy yellow color with a decent head.

S: Lots of bananas and cloves. Wheat

T: Very bright sweet flavor. Absolutely tastes of bananas and cloves. There was something in this that tasted off though. Almost sulfury. Perhaps this beer wasn't fresh.

M: Light to medium body with lots of carbonation. Very creamy and tasty.

O: Again, there may have been something wrong with my beer. I'm not sure though so I have to review what I was tasting.

10-17-2011 06:42:09 | More by tony223366
chefscott79

3.35/5  rDev -10.9%

apperance...poured with nice head....lots of brussels lace...a fairly light example of the style

smell....wheaty...and not a whole lot of the clove/bananna smell

taste...lots of wheat flavor and not a lot of fruity flavors and finishes with a minerally flavor

mouthfeel...lots of carbonation but....not overwhelmingly so...and creamy even

drinkablity...I would drink this if there where no other hefe weizens to drink and I was craving it..and I would not complain...but if there was something else to drink... I might have to

10-25-2007 18:07:29 | More by chefscott79
imblane

3.35/5  rDev -10.9%

I must confess, I am not a big fan of Heffe's or German beers for that matter, but the price was right and it is still hot here in Temecula CA, so I decided to give it a try. Clean crisp and somewhat flat. I was not impressed initially. Very bland as compared to what I usually drink; however, if I had one beer to drink for the rest of my life it would be Stone Ruination IPA. With that said, this was pretty cool, good Hefe appearance with ample yeast in the glass, but it was dissapointingly void of true taste, but at a little better than 5.0% abv, that was not too surprising. Overall, I would say great for a hot summer day, but don't expect the world.

10-11-2004 03:52:12 | More by imblane
changeup45

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a hazy yellow color topped with a huge fluffy white head. Aroma is citrus bananas and fresh with some yeast and a touch of spice. The flavor is a bit citrusy with some orange coriander and banana. There's also some yeast and maybe a hint of spices thrown in there but it's all a little thin. Still nice and refreshing so I may give this one another look on a hot day.

08-27-2008 22:56:06 | More by changeup45
paulthebeerguru

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

A- pale straw yellow with a very active solid white head.

S- beautiful clean citrus aroma of early in the season oranges.

T- clean and crisp wheat beer with a wonderful yeasty orange hint.

M- eventhough wheats aren't my style, I love the way this beer feels. Clean and crisp, leaving the mouth completely humble.

D- smooth and very refreshing, wish I had more than just this bottle. I will buy more for the terrible summers in Florida.

11-09-2007 01:42:09 | More by paulthebeerguru