Hopf Helle Weisse - Weissbierbrauerei Hopf

Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2002

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a creamy, hazy light golden with plenty of head and stick, though the head dissipates rather quickly. Aromas scream fruit esters redolent of under ripe banana. Some barnyard on the nose as well as a blast of sweet toasty malt and a pinch of clove. The beer is clean and crisp yet the ripeness of the beers flavor makes it a bit flabby on the palate. Flavors again favor sweet banana (tastes like banana nut bread) and toasty malt. Unique in style, this is worth checking out. (481 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%

I agree with mithrascrour's review almost to the letter. The only thing that I don't agree with is the drinkablility. About halfway through my glass, I found it to be almost offensive. The flavor seemed to go towards a bad macro hefe as it warmed. It reminded me of Widmer. I don't think I'll have another, but as with all beer, I am glad that I tried it. If you are a fan of Widmer, I suggest that you try it, however, I personally prefer more banana, smoke, and bubblegum in my hefe... (487 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: A somewhat murky pale, straw gold. Decent pure white head, but not nearly the creaminess or retention I'd expect from a wheat beer.

Smell: It's all there -- banana, clove, citrus, paper -- but it's quite a timid little thing, just glances at you before grabbing mommy's leg.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nice citrusy zing with a wheat cracker dryness. There's a slight clove flavor, but again, very mild compared with some of the beefier (i.e. better) versions I've had. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

Drinkability: Oh, quite good, nothing to offend you here. Great as a beverage, not so much as a beer. McWheat. (620 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%

500ml bottle

A- Very cloudy yellow. Generous head with good retention and nice lacing. Visible carbonation

S- Classic hefeweizen aroma, maybe a bit on the fresher side if that may be the right word. Yeast, and then some lemon and banana

T- Taste is again fresh and a peraphs a bit fruity. Not so much of the classic bready flavour but still enough wheat malts to look like a weizen. Then there are citrus, banana and maybe even orange, along with some spiciness. Very fresh but not that complex

M- Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Carbonation doesn't get prickly though, and gives life and freshness to the foamy mouthfeel

O- So, this beer has a very refreshing character and very good drinkability. It may sure be a nice summer beer. Not a very interesting one though (780 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a hazy blond color with moderate carbonation and has a three inch froth.

Has a toasted straw malt aroma with grass, resin, grapefruit, and slightly lemon hops smell.

Lightly sweet, moderately acidic, and lightly bitter taste that has a short duration however the fruit lingers. The taste resembles the smell with a little ginger in the malt and spruce dominated by lemon in the hops.

Mouthfeel has a light body, dry texture, soft carbonation, with a lightly astringent and slightly chalky finish.

Drinkability is great, definitely a session beer, in fact I'll have another. (583 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

From my beer journal. Originally reviewed in Mid May 2011.

A: Cloudy yellow color with a decent head.

S: Lots of bananas and cloves. Wheat

T: Very bright sweet flavor. Absolutely tastes of bananas and cloves. There was something in this that tasted off though. Almost sulfury. Perhaps this beer wasn't fresh.

M: Light to medium body with lots of carbonation. Very creamy and tasty.

O: Again, there may have been something wrong with my beer. I'm not sure though so I have to review what I was tasting. (507 characters)

Paid about 1.50 euro. Not a bad brew for the cost and size of the bottle. Good, standard wheat beer. Hops are well blended and low key. Taste is weisse, heavy on the grainy texture. Not too thick. Hazy light orange brown with good foam and no lace. Nice brew. (259 characters)

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick billowy head. Nice lacing. Aroma is almost all bananna. Very little clove. Much like Wihenstaphner Weiss. Very slight spicy hop aroma as well.
Taste is typical wheat beer with lots of pineapple type fruit. Mouthfeel is medium.
Overall very drinkable. (293 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: typical Hefe appearance at first, foggy yellow with a fluffy head, but after just a few minutes the head disappeared!, I've never seen a Hefe head disappear before.
Smell: nice banana as expected
Taste: letdown, the taste did not follow with what the smell promised, little fruit/banana, almost no spice/clove taste whatsoever
Mouthfeel: a little bit "peppery" or acidic on the tongue, ouch
Drinkability: inoffensive, but that's about it, weakest Hefe I've tried (478 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Banana milkshake!

Had it at Monk's Kettle during a tasting frenzy after a Giant's win.
Definitely the style of Hefe I like: heavy Banana.
The clove influence could have been a bit stronger

Very smooth thick and refreshing
Thick smooth head, cloudy amber yellow orange

Es schmekt Wunderbar!
Reminds me of the Konig Ludwig Weissbier (334 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with big 3 inch head that disapted to tiny head, but has lasted throughout the whole glass. Good lacing. Smells yeasty like a good doughy piece of warm bread, slight banana scents, with citrus. Tastes about the same. Good banana, lemon flavor, and spicey corriander after finish. If you can, smell and taste at the same time, great flavors mix together with smell. Creamy mouthfeel. I could drink a few of these for the afternoon. If you like hefe's it's a good one to try. (500 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a large foamy white head

S- Smell is light with a mix of wheat, spice and fruit.

T/M- A very typical wheat taste with some hint of fruit and spice. Nicely carbonated. Nothing stands out about it.

D- Very easy to drink nice basic wheat beer. I would defiantly get it again because it would be a nice beer to have on hand. Good and balanced (378 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%

Hopf was recently bought out by Hacker-Pschorr. I haven’t noticed any change in quality and I think the move really only benefited Hopf especially in the distribution area. The brewer sent me an e-mail a while back ago and was very nice. He offered me a tour and I haven’t taken him up on it yet. But I should, especially after I reading my notes for this Weißbier. The bottle was very fresh and the yeast was still in suspension. It poured a beautiful creamy thick weiß head. The color is a pale gold. The aroma was very nice and began with a bouquet of melons, banana, and citrus. Very complex fruit and little phenolic characteristics. Hops are to be found in the background however they are subtle. Dig in a little deeper and you’ll find and incredible very strong malt backbone to this bier. Aroma hits the mark for those classified in the ester category of Weißbiers. The flavor profile begins spicy note that’s is followed by excellent blend of malt and hop bitterness that lingers nice on the tongue. The yeast flavor is slightly bread-like and clean. This bier is surprisingly dry instead of sweet. Nice change and well done. I do have say I picked up a hint of phenolic character that bordered medicinal. It was buried in there and of course my tests are done at room temperature. It can happen even to the best. Cooled properly this beer is fantastic!!! Hit the Biergartens and enjoy!!! Zum Wohl!!! (1,416 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle looked a little suspect when I picked it up, no freshness date. Poured into a clean Hefe glass...

Pours a cloudy put still pale yellow. I noticed that I could see yeast in suspension after the bottle was moved from the fridge to the counter, like they'd been there all along...never deciding to settle down. This brew has a nice big bright creamy head that ended up at two plus fingers with some minimal lacing. Smells of mellow banana, stronger citrus, and a very slight hint of spice. Taste is malted wheat in the middle that fades to some very slight hop bitterness followed immediately by yeast esters that linger into spice and fade quicker than expected. The surprising aspect of this beer is what I can only describe as much more dry finish than what I would've expected based on the smell.

Mouthfeel is right in line with a nice mellow level of carbonation. Highly drinkable, right along the style lines. Overall, a good representation. I'm not a huge fan of the style but it's a nice change and I can certainly see the appeal, especially with things warming up here in the southland. (1,101 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%

A - very light yellow color with a little haze
S - really good smell.. smells after banana bread, dried banana, lemon and citruses. It is evident hefeweizen.
T - nice easy taste of banana and lemon also with some light wheat end
M - low to medium body with medium carbonation
D - easy and drinkable. Especially in summer time it is a very light and easy beer. (359 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

By the watery mouthfeel and *very* subdued flavor profile, in a blind test I would have thought this to be an American Hefe. I think another reviewer called this a "lawnmower beer," and I'd have to agree, if not for the pricetag (see below).

This looks like a good Hefe and actually smells rather promising -- wheat, cloves, maybe some banana. But the taste is just so faint. I paid over $4 for a 500ml bottle, and am shocked. Ayinger's Hefe was more than a dollar less and is sooo much better. (495 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Pored from bottle into pint glass.

A- Poured a foggy golden body, small thin head that held great retention and some decent semi-slippery lacing that stuck to the glass as long as it could. Not much carbonation at all which was surprising since its a heff.

S- Kinda reminds me of a crisp belgian... Bananas and yeasty bread, some light malt too. Very unique!

T- Again very unique to me for the style, sweet malt, some banana and light clove, a bit sour in the end, can't put my finger on that. The yeast is really a factor in the sour sweet flavor I am sure though. Delicious!

MF- Medium Bodied with a light-medium carb feel. Very crisp/dry finish.

O- Love this one. I am a big fan of wiehestephaner heffwiess bier, but this is a huge change of pace in flavore and texture. If you want a unique Heff, pick this one up. (823 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Weisbierbrauerei Hopf Helle Weisse

A- Pale yellow straw color, thick pillowy head, unfiltered and cloudy—looking delicious!

S- Yeast, bread, banana, light vanilla spice.

T- Nice and crisp! Great carbonation for a German beer. Light on the banana which makes it a very refreshing drink. Compared to the nose, this is not as banana-ish as I expected, but the hint of phenols is perfectly balanced. Very clean finish. Pleasant surprise, very much enjoyed! (457 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

I must confess, I am not a big fan of Heffe's or German beers for that matter, but the price was right and it is still hot here in Temecula CA, so I decided to give it a try. Clean crisp and somewhat flat. I was not impressed initially. Very bland as compared to what I usually drink; however, if I had one beer to drink for the rest of my life it would be Stone Ruination IPA. With that said, this was pretty cool, good Hefe appearance with ample yeast in the glass, but it was dissapointingly void of true taste, but at a little better than 5.0% abv, that was not too surprising. Overall, I would say great for a hot summer day, but don't expect the world. (658 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4%

I had the pleasure of sampling this brew at stuffed sandwich. Quite a tasty brew with a big head and lots of brussel lace. Unfortunately i had to drink it out of a paper cup, i thought i went to my last frat party. Reminded me a bit of the weihenstephaner, which is a solid hefe. I'd consider purchasing this beer again, it seems to be available at most fine wine stores. (371 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Pretty nice head retention and lacing with a very cloudy golden appearance. The smell does not have much metallic after smell leaving a dominate smell of clove and banana. Crisp and sweet banana with a tiny metallic carbonated taste that finish with a spicey clove bite. Smooth beer with just the right touches of carbonation. Easy beer to drink that has good quality. (368 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Pretty yellow colour and pretty magnolia persisting foam. Banana dominates the smell and the taste. Very refreshing with just the right carbonation. Very balanced and drinkable, goes down in a while leaving you with the will of another one, especially in the summer days. A good example of this style, but nothing that makes it stand above others good hefeweizen. (363 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A very light, crisp and clean wheat beer. A nice refresher.
Initial pour shows a very attractive golden colour with excellent carbonation an a pillowy, fluffy and foaming head. Aroma is light grains and citrus, very mild (perhaps too mild?).
Initial taste is of a highly citric crispness reminiscent of a lightly sweetened grapefruit, but with lower acid. Very little bitterness and a light touch of alcohol to bring out the grains and tasty yeasts that provide the foundation balance the equation. There is little to no aftertaste - again providing a sense of crispness and "clean" drinking. Much lighter than your average Hefeweissen, but with all the same traits - just diminished in strength.
A refreshing and light beer. Inoffensive. This is one of those beers that in no way knocks your socks off, but would be a great beer to have around for when you simply want a refreshing drink after a hot day in the sun. (919 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- Straw colored with creamy white head
S- Fruity wheat- Apple-banana baby food
T- Lacking. Good but absent. Kiss of hops. Wheaty (obviously...)
M- Almost feels like the bubbles wont let the beer touch your tongue.
O- Refreshing but not exciting. A beer I would drink again if it was sitting in-front of me, but not one I would go out of my way to purchase (356 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%

I must start this review by stating that I bought this beer on a whim (and with some hesitance) because it was on “sale” for 99 cents for a 16.9 fl oz. bottle. This indicates to me that it is probably old, lightstruck or some other negative.

It poured a murky, light amber with a bright white head approximately one inch in depth. This is obviously an unfiltered wheat, as the body is filled with particulate. A heavily carbonated beer, bubbles continue to race to the top fifteen to twenty minutes after originally being poured. The scent is of musky clove and cinnamon. The taste is very light for the style, reminiscent more of a Kristall Weisse instead of a Hefe. Banana and clove notes are present, as typical for this style, but I also detect some light apple and fresh citrus. This is a very refreshing, sessionable brew, but not that complex. This could be due to age, but all-in-all, this is not a bad beer and my ratings reflect such. (949 characters)

Hopf Helle Weisse from Weissbierbrauerei Hopf