Drop Kick Ale - Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

Drop Kick AleDrop Kick Ale

Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: bort11 on 08-15-2009)
Reviews by MickeyD:
3.7/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

A: Dark golden brown when held to the light, one finger width head.

S: malt, bread

T: dark sweat malt and caramel. Very slight hops.

M: thin body very smooth

O: really good low hop malt beer. The company describes it as and English bitter and an American ale. But I don't think it is bitter at all. Only a slight hop bitterness.

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

2.48/5  rDev -17.9%

I am an atheist. This is not to brag or create a debate but my sole purpose of bringing this up is context for my current surroundings and mindset while drinking this beer. I fully believe that your background, preferences and social situation effect how you enjoy a beer and how it's rated. My roommate is currently hosting a bible study at our place. I'm utterly bored.

I poured my Dropkick Ale, brought by someone partaking in this discussion, in a Celebrator glass. I'm engrossed with this beer as I was the Lions game last Thanksgiving with my family. I'm engrossed and enamored, a child with a crush for something that utterly doesn't deserve my fancies. The Dropkick pours a nice crimson brown with decent lacing. This looks like it could be good, like a Lion's game, but once you start looking into it, there's nothing there.

The body is thin and weak, I would prefer there to be more but it's like water. Saddening really. I can't find a smell either, it's not my nose, it's just that it's so weak that there's nothing there. The taste is lacking, apparently as much as Peter's writing. Within this beer there's some slight hops and toffee notes, but a strange spice that's similar to the awkward person at a park who overly enthusiastically waves to his friends so they know “I am here.” Other than this strange spice, everything else is muted, like this gathering around me as I type away on my computer.

You should treat this beer like an atheist should treat bible study's, it's boring and should be avoided.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

3.33/5  rDev +10.3%

Interesting toasted malt character in the amber ale. A very assertive toasted malt nose as well. Rather crisp and somewhat dry this has me thinking along the lines of Scottish ale more than amber or American red. Quite drinkable if you don't mind the assertive toasted malt flavor. Hops are played down here. There's just enough bitterness in the finish. Nothing to really complain about too much, but nothing to get that excited about either.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

It was cool to see that they donate to a soccer foundation from the sales of this beer. After seeing the sixer in a graphic box, I vaguely remember seeing 7-ish% somewhere on there. No abv to be found on the bottle.

It pours a ruby red color, about a finger of foam on the first pour that retreats into a few irregular islands of bubbles. Sweet fruity hawaiian punch smell. Flavor is damn close to the Sunryes ale I just drank...hmm. Rinsed the glass and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the same rye or yeast in this. Bready flavor, some minor spiciness. Watery body. Ultimately it's drinkable yet forgettable. This brewery needs to come up with a unique recipe, i've had better homebrew.

3.13/5  rDev +3.6%

With a name like that, I have to try it once.

Pours something between red & a "burnt gold", thick yet minimal head. Scents tossed off mainly caramel, bit of cinnamon, and a yeast-dryness-yet-not-belgian-yeast-dryness character. Swig time...

Taste seems to shade towards apple, plus a slight hop bitterness sting that comes out of nowhere. Don't usually get that in red ales, which is interesting. Oddly thin though.

Not bad, but not great. Could stand to crank the malt up some more if they reformulate IMO.

3.4/5  rDev +12.6%

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

2.9/5  rDev -4%

12 ounce bottle poured in a tall tumbler.

I picked one of these up at the store this week. Label looked interesting. It wasn't until after I opened the bottle that I read the fine print that it was a Weston beer. My experience with their beers has not been good.

The beer poured with a dark amber color with some red. Minimal head that quickly disappeared with no lacing. A very mild aroma that I couldn't nail down.

Taste wasn't bad. A touch of fruit and barely on the tart side. The tang remained on my tongue for a few minutes.

Drinkability was a little above average. It would go down well on a hot summer day.

All in all, I was not impressed. A few years ago I would have rated this ale higher, but there are now so many that are far better. I can't knock this one too bad, but I won't buy another.

4.05/5  rDev +34.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Deep mahogany/ruby with foamy cream colored head. The head recedes to a film and there's good sticky lacing.

Smell: Caramel, bread, yeast, biscuits.

Taste: Biscuity goodness up front, with caramel sweetness and a dry hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Dry and a bit carbonated.

Overall: I keep trying Weston's beers, and I've only really enjoyed their stout. This one, however is true to it's style and quite enjoyable.

1.25/5  rDev -58.6%