Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Drop Kick Ale - Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

Drop Kick AleDrop Kick Ale

Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: bort11 on 08-15-2009

4.07/5  rDev +28%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Deep mahogany/ruby with foamy cream colored head. The head recedes to a film and there's good sticky lacing.

Smell: Caramel, bread, yeast, biscuits.

Taste: Biscuity goodness up front, with caramel sweetness and a dry hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Dry and a bit carbonated.

Overall: I keep trying Weston's beers, and I've only really enjoyed their stout. This one, however is true to it's style and quite enjoyable.

4.07/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a tumbler pint glass on a Saturday morning in my vibrant Valentine boxers.

Appearance : Not quite as red as my undershorts, but it yields a dark honey amber colored body, 80% opaque, with a nice 3 finger popcorn head that gradually recedes to 1/2 finger staying permanently. The lace is like glue (I miss 3rd grade), moving with the head, staying stationary as long as the glass is swirled and moved. It's like a friend who has no other friends, likes you more than you like them, and hangs around whether you want them to or not.

Smell : I pushed a button on the side of my temple to recharge my Olfactory after a night of potent stouts. This reminds me of an old lady's house. It's rank with aged wood and glade plug-in aromas, roasted malts, brown sugar, maple sap, honey and herb throat lozenges. The sweetness is out front, the medicinal candy finishes out the nose. It's actually a nice nose.

Taste : Initial flavor on the tip of the tongue is not great - sour biscuit bitterness - or like popping a Ricola and drinking a Budweiser at the same time. But let it breathe... what follows is a rush of Cream of Wheat, rich baked malts, herbs, honey, and grain chaff. A faint plant hoppiness also follows but only really serves to prop up this staggering malt bomb, balancing it out so it doesn't knock over your favorite lava lamp (like your friend that won't go away).

Feel : Creamier than most red ales, but not as smooth as George Clinton. The feel is medium weight, like Jack Dempsey. There's a starchiness to the profile, and it ends somewhat carbonated and slightly pasty like licking dough-covered tinfoil. Slight pinches of carbonation complete the mouth feel with a dryness rivaling Ben Stein.

Overall : Dropkick Ale made me forgive. It helped me realize that life is more than playing frisbee golf, clipping my toenails, walking the dog, and punching into the time clock. I've taken up a career in culinary arts, have become a monk, shaved my head, and deliver meals on wheels since trying Dropkick Ale. I've made peace with my enemies. If you want a life-changing cathartic experience, look no further.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Deep copper red color with a fingers worth of cream colored head. Fair amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Caramel malt and bread with hints of spiciness and hops.

Taste- Caramel malt and bread flavors with just enough hops for balance.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of medium bodied. Average amount of carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall- Decent enough beer. Nothing spectacular but drinkable.

3.69/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

A: Dark golden brown when held to the light, one finger width head.

S: malt, bread

T: dark sweat malt and caramel. Very slight hops.

M: thin body very smooth

O: really good low hop malt beer. The company describes it as and English bitter and an American ale. But I don't think it is bitter at all. Only a slight hop bitterness.

3.57/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm giving Weston another shot with this one. They have installed a new pasteurization unit at the brewery, so hopefully the bottling infection that has plagued their other brews will be fixed. Plus $2 of every case and $10 of every keg sold will be donated to the Kansas City Soccer Foundation.

12 oz bottle poured into a standard shaker pint. Thin white head that doesn't stick around for long. Color is a clear orangish amber. Not bad, but not really worth staring at.

Smell has a slightly spicy character. A little caramel malt and brown sugar sweetness. Hops don't really fit into this equation. It has a smooth and light body.

I think Weston has been striving to find their session beer. The only thing holding them back was the bottling infection that ruined the beer. The pasteurization seems to be working. This is a no frills session beer. I bet it would be great on tap down at O'Malley's. I hope this is the starting point for Weston's come back

Blipped "Hooligans" by Spitfires United

3.53/5  rDev +11%

Compared to the other reviews mine seems like quite a different beer.
The aroma was a little flat. Mild mix of malt and a soft hopping.
Attractive dark amber beer with a moderate head that settled with out leaving completely.
Some really nice malt flavors. Crispy, toasty, toffee/caramel with shots of hop flavors intermingling and a mild bitterness in the mix too.
Body was rather light at times, but the carbonation seemed fine.
This was enjoyable on a warm mid-summer evening. At times the malt complexity was quite enjoyable. Not a complete beer, but I'd drink it again.
Thanks Chuck.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Off a hard pour you get a large tan head following a rush of bubbles. Good retention; settles into a nice quilt-like covering. Some pointy lace juts here and there. Faint caramel malt and spice to the nose. Has some light fruits and a toasted grain notes. A bit thin. A little sweet after a bit. Easy going down with a taffy smoothness across the tongue.

3.33/5  rDev +4.7%

Interesting toasted malt character in the amber ale. A very assertive toasted malt nose as well. Rather crisp and somewhat dry this has me thinking along the lines of Scottish ale more than amber or American red. Quite drinkable if you don't mind the assertive toasted malt flavor. Hops are played down here. There's just enough bitterness in the finish. Nothing to really complain about too much, but nothing to get that excited about either.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear, dark amber color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of citrus (grape fruit), slight hop, slight sweet malt, and slight metallic. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of floral hops, citrus, sweet malt, slight yeast, and a hint of metallic. Overall, an average beer except for the odd metallic ingredient that really hurts the drinkability.

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%

A) Pours an amber-red color. Thin, with small fizzy bubbles and a slightly tan colored head. Very minimal retention.
S) Very sweet with a hint of spice.
T) Spicy up front, with a slght citrus taste not commonly found in this category. Almost a thin funk is present, not neccesarily a good quality.
M) Thin and crisp, although the head disappears almost immediately after pouring, the crisp feel tends to stick around, earning it points in my book. A little bit of a syrupy character fits in nicely with the crispiness.
D) I could have a few of these, although the almost-funk tends to linger around

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

A - This pours a hazy, dark amber (almost an iced tea color) with a finger-width white head. Some minimal lacing is visible.

S - There isn't a lot here. I pick up some mild malt, and maybe a little molasses.

T - The is toasted malt with a slight hint of spiciness. Hops are present, but they do not play a large role.

M- A medium/light mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation.

O - Overall, a pretty good beer. There is nothing special here, but I enjoyed it enough. I probably won't seek this out, but I would definitely drink it again.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Pretty decent looking, a deep amber to copper color, clear, a few small rising bubbles, pretty decent head and lace.

Smell is lots of caramel malt, a little sweetness, a little breadiness.

Taste is plenty of bready and caramel malts, a little hops on the end.

Body is pretty light and a little thin. Overall I'm not too impressed, although it's certainly drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

It was cool to see that they donate to a soccer foundation from the sales of this beer. After seeing the sixer in a graphic box, I vaguely remember seeing 7-ish% somewhere on there. No abv to be found on the bottle.

It pours a ruby red color, about a finger of foam on the first pour that retreats into a few irregular islands of bubbles. Sweet fruity hawaiian punch smell. Flavor is damn close to the Sunryes ale I just drank...hmm. Rinsed the glass and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the same rye or yeast in this. Bready flavor, some minor spiciness. Watery body. Ultimately it's drinkable yet forgettable. This brewery needs to come up with a unique recipe, i've had better homebrew.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Clear reddish amber color with a moderate off-white head that disappears immediately.

The aroma is slightly spicy, hints of caramel and slightly musty grain.

The taste is sweet caramel malt with a vague spice note and some hints of molasses or brown sugar, no real hop presence. Finishes sweet with that slight mustiness from the aroma.

Fairly drinkable ice cold. Probably the best effort so far from Weston.

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

With a name like that, I have to try it once.

Pours something between red & a "burnt gold", thick yet minimal head. Scents tossed off mainly caramel, bit of cinnamon, and a yeast-dryness-yet-not-belgian-yeast-dryness character. Swig time...

Taste seems to shade towards apple, plus a slight hop bitterness sting that comes out of nowhere. Don't usually get that in red ales, which is interesting. Oddly thin though.

Not bad, but not great. Could stand to crank the malt up some more if they reformulate IMO.

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Let me start off this review by saying that I normally couldn't care less about a beers label. I would also never alter a review or judge a beer regarding whether or not I like its label. However, with that said, Weston Brewing Company makes it very clear with this beers label that they do not believe that their costumers are very intelligent. Seriously, I might think this label was cool if I were retarded, but as is I think it is stupid.

Now onto the beer. This beer pours a hazy red color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma has some floral hops and caramel malt, but it is all very faint. The taste is mostly caramel, with a whiff of hops. It is stronger than the aroma, and rather pleasant. The mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation, and a watery texture. The carbonation gets somewhat in the way of the taste. Overall, this is a decent beer. I could drink it again without complains. However, there are so many other American Ambers out there that I can't see myself getting back to this beer anytime soon.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz. bottle tried 1 Sep 2010. Served in the (512) TWO glass.

Medium sized copper colored head. Lightly carbonated. Clear warm burnt umber color. Aroma is astringently nutty. Although it is not sweet, it is full of molasses flavor. Astringency in the taste is less than in the aroma. Some sassafrass and root beer notes. Finishes with a medicinal bitterness. Medium body, moderate ethanol.

A liked this a lot better than I did.

2.86/5  rDev -10.1%

12 ounce bottle poured in a tall tumbler.

I picked one of these up at the store this week. Label looked interesting. It wasn't until after I opened the bottle that I read the fine print that it was a Weston beer. My experience with their beers has not been good.

The beer poured with a dark amber color with some red. Minimal head that quickly disappeared with no lacing. A very mild aroma that I couldn't nail down.

Taste wasn't bad. A touch of fruit and barely on the tart side. The tang remained on my tongue for a few minutes.

Drinkability was a little above average. It would go down well on a hot summer day.

All in all, I was not impressed. A few years ago I would have rated this ale higher, but there are now so many that are far better. I can't knock this one too bad, but I won't buy another.

2.49/5  rDev -21.7%

I am an atheist. This is not to brag or create a debate but my sole purpose of bringing this up is context for my current surroundings and mindset while drinking this beer. I fully believe that your background, preferences and social situation effect how you enjoy a beer and how it's rated. My roommate is currently hosting a bible study at our place. I'm utterly bored.

I poured my Dropkick Ale, brought by someone partaking in this discussion, in a Celebrator glass. I'm engrossed with this beer as I was the Lions game last Thanksgiving with my family. I'm engrossed and enamored, a child with a crush for something that utterly doesn't deserve my fancies. The Dropkick pours a nice crimson brown with decent lacing. This looks like it could be good, like a Lion's game, but once you start looking into it, there's nothing there.

The body is thin and weak, I would prefer there to be more but it's like water. Saddening really. I can't find a smell either, it's not my nose, it's just that it's so weak that there's nothing there. The taste is lacking, apparently as much as Peter's writing. Within this beer there's some slight hops and toffee notes, but a strange spice that's similar to the awkward person at a park who overly enthusiastically waves to his friends so they know “I am here.” Other than this strange spice, everything else is muted, like this gathering around me as I type away on my computer.

You should treat this beer like an atheist should treat bible study's, it's boring and should be avoided.

1.55/5  rDev -51.3%

A - Poured out a dark amber color with a small, white head. There was little to no lacing left behind.

S - It smelled musty with an odd sour aroma. It truly was hard to put your nose into it.

T - Fruity and malty with what tasted a little like a cherry syrup. Very confusing.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a smooth finish. A light to medium-bodied ale.

D - Not good when your two best scores are appearance and mouthfeel. It left me wondering why I keep trying beers from Weston. I had to drain pour the last third of this one.

Drop Kick Ale from Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub