Li'L Lucy's Hot Pepper Ale - Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

to view more.
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 22
Reviews by TheCondor:
3.55/5  rDev +10.9%

This is amber beer is spicy from start to finish. The aroma kicks in with spicy jalapeno right away. The taste has an immediate kick of spicy roasted peppers that linger well into the aftertaste. In case I've been unclear: This one is SPICY! Nearing harshness, but fun regardless. Should pair well with milder foods that need that extra zing.

2.06/5  rDev -35.6%

I seem to have a love-hate relationship with chile beers so I am anxious to try this one.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers with a little bit of corn mixed in. The beer smells a lot like a jar of pickled jalapenos.

The flavor is unfortunately not any better. There is a little bit of corn sweetness, but the overwhelming flavor is hot peppers. The beer is physically hot in the mouth and is hard to drink. After a few sips I had to pour the rest down the drain. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

This beer reminded me a lot of the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer, which is not a good thing.

3.94/5  rDev +23.1%

22oz bottle, champagne flute, shared with brother and dad.

Faux hazed golden rod beer when looking through it at an angle, with good clarity when viewed at eye level. Not much of a head at all and what there is is white.

My family loves peppers and spicy food and this beer delivers a raw Serrano aroma that is shockingly fresh. Very sharp edged, crisp green chile aroma with a light caramel and malt underneath.

Moderately malty sweet body with no hops apparent (bottle states 28 IBU) finishes crisp with that fresh Serrano and Jalapeno. The heat slowly rises as it does with food. This isn't very spicy, but you will know that they used peppers. There is a pleasant warmth in the throat after taking a swallow.

The carbonation is well crafted so as to scurry across the tongue, delivering just the right amount of capsaicin. Thank goodness it's no more.

Drink this with cheese and crackers as an alternative to paring with an IPA. For pepper people or just the adventurous.

3.51/5  rDev +9.7%

Review based on notes, from a few months agoo
Pours an eefervescent caramel with 1 finger of fast falling pearl colored head, ZERO head retrention & lacing

S: Chipotle & caramel notes win the day here, the real srong point of the beer

S: Lemmony notes, the chipolte & smokeyness uo front. Smokey pepper & pears are there as this warms. Finishes with caramel swettness & some peppery heat

MF: Light bodied, subtle carbonation, skewing thin

Drinks okay, not a beer to seek out for a first time pepper beer experience IMO...

3.82/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a golden straw color with a small creamy head. Lots of carbonation in this one. Nose is all pepper. It's Seerrano, one of my favorite peppers. There's beer in here? If so, you can't discern it from the smell. If you don't like peppers, then I'm not sure why you're drinking this. If you do, then you know what you're in for. Light mouthfeel, if it wasn't for the pepper heat it would be quite refreshing. Taste is somewhat vegetable, there's little hops and some malt but this one is clearly balanced towards the pepper side of the equation. The beer is a huckster, it draws you in with a light fruity hop note and some candy corn sweetness before that's quickly aborted with a blast of Serrano chilis that finishes the whole thing. Interesting as a diversion. Would make a unique counterpoint to something rich and creamy - maybe a clam chowder or something, but it's not necessarily something that you would reach for after a long day.

3.61/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: The body was a transparent brass color that was full of tiny bubbles. The head and lace were creamy and white.

Smell: The aroma was an herbal, peppery and bread mixture.

Taste: The pepper flavor was great not overdone like other pepper beers I have tried. It almost seemed like there were other vegetable flavors in there as well though. A bit corny and grainy at the end.

Mouthfeel: It is light with allot of bubbles but not allot of bite.

Overall: I would say that I liked this one better than their other pepper beer. It was alright and went well with nachos. I have founded it with two different labels so that can be confusing.

4.09/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a shaker pint.

Look: Hazy honey yellow. Light cream head with decent retention. Good lacing.

Aroma: Hot peppers, jalapeños, salsa.

Taste: Liquid salsa with jalapeños coming through. The peppers cut through any beer ingredient.

Mouthfeel: Hot, spicy, burns the throat.

Overall, as advertised. I like it a lot.

3.7/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a brown 12 oz bottle with no dating or even ABV on the label to be found. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler.

Appearance - Nothing mind-blowing, with an aggressive pour yielding just under a finger of bubbly soda-like foam the color of stark white. The head dissipates instantaneously, leaving some drifting of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Body is a brassy orange hue, with some complexity of color coming from an almost viscous, oily quality to the beer, presumably from the chile.

Smell - Notes of light, biscuity malt initially gives way to a pretty pronounced aroma of fresh chiles and pepper. I'm impressed at how much it smells like fresh pepper flesh, rather than just generic spice.

Taste - Initial taste is that of a pretty standard golden ale, with light grains being the primary characteristic, however, this gives way to notes of serrano and jalepeno and a pretty aggressive level of heat on the finish. I imagine this would be a great beer to pair with some chips and nice, cool guacamole.

Mouthfeel - Pretty thin and light bodied, with low carbonation and a spicy finish.

Overall, I can't say I'm a chile beer aficionado, but this one seems to style. I can't help but feel like this beer is rated unfairly low and that people are docking it because of a distaste for the style. Chile beer is certainly an odd style, but this one seems to have all the characteristics that I would expect--the only area in which I feel some improvement could be made is in the appearance, but I imagine it's hard to get a nice rocky head when dealing with the oils from the chile peppers.

4.06/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured out of a 22 ounce bottle. A decent sized white head that dissipates quickly over a macro-brew-looking yellow-clearish beer. Not a great appearance.

Smells like serrano and jalapeno peppers. Not overpowering, not too subtle, very nice, (if you're into peppers).

This is a tasty, tasty beer if you like hot peppers. They got the heat just right for me. But I like things hot, so it may overpower some people. When you drink this it's like you're tasting fresh peppers. They did a great job blending the peppers with this beer and it's a great experience. Much better than most fruit/vegetable/chili beers that I've tried because most of them end up as pale imitations of the food they are blending.

Not the most drinkable beer because as with hot peppers, too much of a good thing is not a good idea. The heat does start to build up in your gut as you finish the first bottle. But I really, really enjoyed this one despite its underwhelming appearance.

3.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong chile, slight pale malt, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is a noticeable heat from the pepper. Tastes of strong hot pepper (not distinctly fresh), hint of hop, and a hint of pale malt. Overall, the pepper dominates the aroma, body, and feel.

2.85/5  rDev -10.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a 16 oz mug. A quick flash of white head that quickly recedes to nothing. Color is a dark straw yellow. Clear with no activity. This is not completely flat, but nearly.

Smell is an overwhelming jalapeno juice. I very well could have put my nose into a jar of peppers instead of a beer glass. It has a green burning aroma. Taste is a full pepper kick to the senses. My lips burn and I'm breaking a sweat. I like spicy foods, but I want peppers to compliment the other ingredients of a dish. Eating hot peppers straight gets boring after a while. That's what I feel here. I don't get any other beer qualities. I don't sense any malt or hops.

The mouthfeel is thin and a little oily. It was a chore to drink this beer, and I just couldn't finish the last 4 ounces. It had to go down the drain. This is one lab experiment that was a failure.

3.67/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Poured out a clear, golden orange color with a small, white head of bubbly foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of hot peppers and some spice.

T - It tasted of strong pepper heat with some maltiness to cool things down.

M - It seemed thin at first but it was medium bodied. Fairly crisp and sharp.

O - This is a pretty nice chile beer. One of the better brews that Weston makes.

2.57/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance- Standard golden ale, blonde to semi-orange

Smell- Strong chili notes. Hot.

Taste- Mellow start of a mediocre golden ale and then an overpowering heat of jalapenos. As per the Chili Style, jalapenos are quite powerful and overstating their presence in the beer. The heat is semi-uncomfortable and not all that tasty. Too much heat, not enough flavor. Poor balance of peppers.

Mouthfeel- Very thin, minimal carbonation

Overall- A better selection of peppers would have contributed to a much better balance of heat to flavor. Was disappointed in this beer. Being a big fan of the Chili Style this could have been better.

4.22/5  rDev +31.9%

Went to my local today to grab a new bottle of brew and low and behold Weston has released Brew Labs #2, and considering that I thought #1 was the best brew that Weston has ever released, I quickly put it in my cart. Let me start off by saying, if you don't like Jalapeno/Serrano peppers, don't drink this. I think chili beers get a bad rap solely on the fact that people don't like the taste of peppers and by jesus, this tastes like peppers but on to the review.

Poured a 22oz bomber into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a crystal clear copper with just a inkling of a head. Like all true pepper beers, no head sticks around and no lacing occurs. The nose is fresh cut Jalapenos. Green jalapenos straight off the plant, diced up and vaporized and there you go. That's the nose. Very little malty sweetness to muddle it all up. The taste is exactly the same, fresh cut pepper. I've never gotten so much heat out of a beer. This beer is hot, but not boozy. Fantastic. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, perfect for the style. Weston, I don't know what your doing, but your doing something right. I was shocked by #1, and you followed it up with a fantastic beer, albeit a beer that 50% of people won't like. I do have to say, I'm drinking it while eating a spicy pepperoni and sharp cheddar pizza and it works spiffily.

3.55/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- With an aggressive pour this beer pours a deep golden color with thick foamy white head that leaves a nice cap on top, and some minor lacing on the glass.

S- Roasted hot peppers. Not overdone, some sweet malt behind the peppers.

T- The spiciness from the peppers hits your mouth with an explosion of flavor. It's not overpowering, just a nice spicy, hot, tingly feeling that adds an interesting depth to the beer.

M- Nice creamy texture. Moderate carbonation. The spiciness from the peppers lingers a bit.

O- This is my first Chile beer, so I have nothing to base it on, but I do think they did a fine job with this one.

3.55/5  rDev +10.9%

Orange with a reddish hue, and a thins white head that fades immediately. Little bit of lacing.
Smell is hot peppers and some bready malts. Jalapeno aroma is definitely present. Not as familiar with the serrano, so I'm not sure how present those are. Little bit of hops and caramel can be discerned. Veggie/garden-like aroma pervades.
Taste is dominated by hot peppers. Again, the jalapeno is easy to pick out. If you concentrate, a little bit of the malts can be picked out here and there. Quite hot.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a clean, hot finish. Lots of heat and bite on the tongue, and the heat carries all the way down to the stomach. Light-to-medium body.
Drinkability is a tad below average. This changes my mind--a habanero ale is not a good idea. I like spicey hot food, and from time to time enjoy nibbling on a habanero pepper, but for my beer this is just a bit much. This is a little too unbalanced--as a novelty it works, or perhaps as a pairing with a spicey meal it might be good. Still, not a beer I'm going to be in the mood for very often.

Okay, I must admit--I'll probably get another bottle so my girlfriend can try it. I don't think she could handle it.

3.52/5  rDev +10%

This one is not subtle. The tingle is right on the tip of your tongue.

The appearance is nothing special with a medium golden amber hue with very little foaming.

The smell has some lingering pepper notes that are clearly present, but otherwise nothing.

The taste is spicy and leaves a tingle. This one doesn't hide and isn't cloying in the background..it is in your face. That being said, I like it. It is what I think pepper beers should be although I don't know that most people agree.

The mouthfeel is a little average to thin which I'd like to see have a little more body.

That being said it goes down like water for me. A spicy pleasure to drink although a bit thin. I could put down a couple of bombers without thinking twice.

1.98/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A - Burned orange, with slight haze. Bottle did have sediment in it. Hardly any head what so ever. Light bubbles.

S - Pepper spices. It smelled like a warm grill, that was just used to cook a pile of chilis. It was hard to pick anything else out. It was evident that there was something going on in this bottle.

T - Tasted like your average ale at first. Easy to swallow. Then with a delayed reaction was the peppers. It his the back of your tongue, and throat the most. The peppers are over powering especially when I started drinking it.

M - The carbonation was correct, the original Ale recipe was correct. The peppers leave a hanging slightly burned feeling in my stomach, throat and the back of my tongue feels like it was scorched.

Overall, this beer is a specialty brew. There are a few things that could be changed that would make this better. First issue is the choice to use Jalapenos. These peppers are not easily controlled. The scollville unit rating is too open for use in a consistant beer I think. It would be impossible for me to session this. I actually had to pour half of it down the drain because I could not finish it. I would say that this beer could have been made with Poblano/Ancho, and a variety of low powered peppers (even green peppers) that would make it very drinkable.

Somewhere, there is a master brewer shaking his head and is really upset how this turned out. I respect the company and the people behind it. This one just was not for me.

Would not drink again.

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

A- Amber in color. Looks nice and somewhat hearty.

S- Smells like chopped peppers.

T- Tastes like peppers and beer. Just what I was expecting.

M- Its not too thin, but pretty spicy! Its not too spicy though, lingers just long enough with a good tongue and throat tingle.

D- I could have a couple of bottles of this with no problem. Smooth, spicy and satisfying.

O- This beer has a strong pepper flavor and would go well with a mexican dish, if you like spice that is. Very good and pretty much what I was expecting!

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Sampling right now on 10/29/14. Comes in a 12 ounce can and contains right at 5% alcohol (wasn't listed on the label so I called them directly about a hour ago). Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orange-amber in color with about a 1-finger white foamy head. A good amount of lacing is seen when sipped, in rings actually, that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of course peppers and grains. Pretty much the taste follows the nose with a bite of the peppers (Serrano & Jalapeno) with the ale afterwards. Goes down and warms the tummy for sure, but drinkable. The pepper taste doesn't last or burn your mouth but does hang around in your stomach for a bit. Lighter to medium bodied with perfect carbonation for this style of brew. I had some other chili brews before and this one was OK but nothing really special. I wouldn't go buy a 6-pack of it but maybe a single one every now and then.

3.07/5  rDev -4.1%

Clear gold color with a modest white head that disappears quickly.

The aroma is initially typical light malt, then a hint of jalapeno creeps in, actually not bad.

The taste is in the same vein, light biscuity malt up front and then a jolt of heat in the back of the throat and the taste of jalapeno and serrano peppers kicks in. The pepper flavor is actually pretty decent. Hot enough to get your attention but not really overpowering.

Light bodied, fairly drinkable if you're OK with the heat.

Altogether, better than I expected. Not really great, but could go well some decent Mexican snacks.

2.46/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a pint...

A: a hazy bronze color with a teeny weeny white head that fades in a matter of seconds, leaving no lacing. not looking so hot

S: smells of chips and salsa which is making very hungry. also a hint of caramel sweetness in there.

T: malt sweetness up front, then a blast of peppery heat. so much in fact that it is impossible to pick up on anything else.

M: medium body with a clean finish and quite a bit of heat on the mouth and lips

Overall, HOT! Halfway through the bottle and I've already broke a sweat. Probably will not buy this again, unless I plan on making a bet with a friend.

to view more.