Rip Van Winkle Beer - Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

to view more.
Ratings: 26 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by scratch69:
4.38/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Dark amber color with two fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of clinging lace.

Smell- Bread, caramel, and a small hint of alcohol.

Taste- Rich malt sweetness and caramel with a tiny trace of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

Overall- One of Weston Brewing Co. better beers. I toured the brewery with the hopes of sampling this one and I was very impressed. I enjoyed 2 with my dinner that night and brought a bottle home. Very enjoyable. I can't wait until this hits the stores.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent amber with a finger of tan head. Very good lacing & good head retention

S: Brown bread & pears

T: Brown bread, pears, white grapes, some woody hops up front. More fruittyness as this warms, slight green apple skin & caramel, some dryness. Finishes fruitty, dry & slightly sweet

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, slight grainyness, thins out a touch as it warms

A servicable bock, nothing to get excited about, but not bad. Easily one of the better beers from these guys

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Clear amber body with 1.5 finger head. The head is beige, with medium bubbles. In 2 minutes the head is merely a wisp leaving some lacing on the sides. The only carbonation present is from the SA disk etched in the glass.

Smell - Mild. Malt, a hint of yeast.

Taste - A nice blend of malt, caramel and toffee. Slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with no carbonation. Slight sweetness followed by a moderate bitter. Dissipates from the palate after a short time.

Overall - My success with Weston beer has not gone well. This one ranks second from the top. It is a simple beer and easy to drink. Smooth certainly. I might buy it again.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a nice amber/mahogany color. An off-white head sits tightly on top for a while until receding to a film. Surprisingly decent lacing. The beer smells like an alcohol bomb straight off, but is coated with faint bready, yeasty aroma. Again, the taste follows the smell, and I'm getting strong alcohol right off the bat. Somewhere in there though hides some malty body, with some biscuits and even a faint bitterness. The mouthfeel is heavy and carbonated.

Overall, very disappointed. I was hoping for more flavor and less alcohol in this. And I'm going to be honest, i only bought it for the artwork, which is actually exceptional, but that doesn't go into the score, unfortunately.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Kinda orange and cloudy with a one finger head with some staying power and decent lace.

Smell is malty, bready, a little yeast, pretty subdued.

Taste is very sweet, malty with biscuit, caramel, bready notes, with little hop character.

Body is pretty thick and full with a slightly cloyingly sweet finish. Carbonation is pretty light.

It's not bad but I don't think it's spectacular. A pretty good example of a bock I suppose but I'm not wild about it.

4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

A local brewery here in the Kansas City area, Weston Brewing Co. doesn't get enough love. Saw this one and did not think twice about picking it up. Bottle poured into a pilsner glass, an aggressive pour.

A- Pours a dark amber with 3 fingers of thick, foamy, light tan head that is taking it's pleasant time leaving creating a thick cap on top of the beer and some huge chunks of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet and bready. A little yeasty.

T- Pretty sweet, a tasty blend of caramel and toffee, only getting a little balancing bitterness. It is mostly malt sweetness coming through.

M- Medium body with a little amount of carbonation.

O- I am pleased. A good beer from a small local Brewery.

1.6/5  rDev -53.6%

Okay, so I bought a bottle of this at my local liquor store. Was very excited when I first saw it on the shelf. Got it home, popped the top off, started pouring... a large... what I can only describe as a 'gelatinous blob' plopped out of the bottle and splooshed itself into my almost full pint glass. I stared at it for a few moments, whilst it took a meandering lap around it's amber pool, and wondered what in the hell it could be.

Needless to say I did not drink any of Rip Van Winkles special delivery and have not ventured to buy another bottle as of yet. I still do not know what the hell the thing was that hid itself in there but I can say, with some certitude, that I do not wish to meet it again.

A - I think the brew was an amber brown... I think. It was hard to see past the aforementioned gelatinous blob.

S - I did, however, take a whiff of the beer and it really did smell quite good. Notes of a sweet caramel and bread were hinted at.

T - The taste was disappointing in that I was disappointed that I did not get to taste it.

M - I can only assume that the mouthfeel would have been somewhat akin to having a severe nasal infection and hocking up a loogie in your mouth. And then swallowing. No thank you.

O - I really hope that sometime in the future I will give this beer another chance. As it is now, every time I see it on the shelf all I can think of is the 'plop' sound made by that blob.

to view more.