Dark Starr Stout - Starr Hill Brewery

good

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: karst on 04-17-2006)

1.8/5  rDev -48.9%

12oz bottle poured into snifter on 04/18/2011. Bottle says best by: October... no day or year so who knows what that means.
Pours black topped with a thin but creamy, tan head. Dissipates quickly leaving very little lace. The nose on this one is not good. Faint roasted malts, faint chocolate but pretty bland and something is off here. The taste confirms my suspicions. Faded chocolate turning sour. Off flavors for sure. Medium body with very little carbonation. Not good... could be bad bottle but a drain-pour none the less.

1.93/5  rDev -45.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Hmmmm ... upon pouring, looked like a decent stout. Aroma was promising, for the most part.

Hard to review the taste because I found the carbonation was so totally overwhelming, it just eradicated any kind of flavors. The fizz simply battered my taste buds into submission.

Did not enjoy this, at all. With so many truly great stouts out there, I would not even think about drinking another one of these.

2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

True to it's name, this stuff is dark. Black even when held to light. Large, thick brown head with lots of lace and good retention. Freshness dated bottle.

Smells like roast malt, mild espresso and Byres sugar free chocolate ice cream.

Unfortunately none of the aromas come through in the taste. Just a sour, ashy taste with a thin mouthfeel. I thought this could be past due but according to the bottle it's still good. Bummer.

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%

This poured black with some ruby red highlights that were lost once the beer was in the glass. The frothy tan head rose 3 fingers and looked tremendous. Good retention and lace too. This really does look like a great stout...

Smells of bitter coffee and caramel and toffee malts. There is a definate sweetness here, but I'm not sure I can place it. The flavor follows nose, but towards the finish it gets bitter and unpleasant like stale/scalded coffee. There feels like a fight going on between the carbonation and the rest of the beer... Like it is overcarbed and not thick enough, and neither of those facts bode well for this brew.

Towards the finish I am finally (after 6 or 7 sips) getting some of the dryness... The bitter note and sweetness have cast their shackles long enough to allow something else to pop up-- almost like a rye and toasted barley bite hiding in the finish... Not enough to save this beer, in my opinion.

Certainly not the worst thing I've ever had, but I won't be needing this again.

2.5/5  rDev -29%

I liked the label being a DeadHead and all. And that its Virginia brewery...wanted to try this during our summer tour of the Virginia/North Carolina region. So my wife and I gave it a shot. Poured out nice with a dense tan head. Not bad considering it should have a low ABV (as consitent with the style). Aroma was roasty with some dark chocolate overtones. Taste was frankly disappointing, very tart upfront and not much else going on in the finish to smooth that out. Mouthfeel was rather thin and the sourness made me not want to continue drinking multiple rounds. I would try this again on tap at the brewery...but I won't be actively seeking this one out in any other parts of the States.

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%

Appearance - Poured black as night. Nice 1" beige head and decent lacing around the glass. Head dissipates quite quickly.

Smell - Toasted malts, coffee, and caramel. Hops are faint, but smell a bit dry.

Appearance - Earthiness is abundant. Hops are still not very apparent here. Pretty balanced, though. Not a very strong flavor profile at all.

Mouthfeel - A little too watered down for my taste. I feel that it should be thicker. Carbonation is mild.

Overall - Not very impressed with this one. I was expecting something different and it just wasn't here. As far as being drinkable, it was. That's about it, though....

2.55/5  rDev -27.6%

Bottle, $1.49 from the Village Pump. I've seen this brewers beers on tap in the DMV, but never intrigued enough to pay $6+/pint for it. This seemed like a much better deal. Best by August 2012.

In my Founders 10th anniversary tulip pint, this beer is black with a dense, brown head with pretty good retention and lacing. The nose is pretty good! A nice, dry, roasted barley character is present up front, with coffee and dark chocolate. There is, however, what is perceived as a mild lactose sweetness, making this rounder than most dry stouts. Some earthy hops are also present, lending a mild resiny hop character in the back end. Pretty solid IMO.

The palate is where this suffers IMO. The roasted barley bitterness is a little too high in the mix, making this grainy, acidic and almost burnt, with stale coffee. None of the sweetness of the nose is present here, exacerbating the one-dimensional nature of this beer. Some hop bitterness is perceived as well, especially on the finish. While I know that dry stouts are, by definition, dry, they needn't be watery, which this one is. Moderately carbonated, this beer is too watery for its own good. I can't recommend it, but if it were cold and it were a hot day out, I might pound a couple.

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%

[Best served in an English Pint glass]

Poured a deep dark murky black with a small (less than 1 finger) creamy light brown foamy head that was fully diminishing and had fair lacing.

The aroma was very, very mild of dark roasted malts, a mild resin hop and a sweet leathery yeast with a tinge of coffee, toffee and dark chocolate.

It tasted bitter-sweet initially with a note of dark chocolate and finished with a mild hoppy flavor and had a mild coffee note at the end that left the flavor lasting only a short while.

Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied and definitely had a watery feel to it yet was slightly dry in texture with a flat carbonation.

Overall an OK brew, but not much to offer for a Stout. A little light in body and flavor for my liking.

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%

C. Who knows, cause this is blackkk.
H. Black, with the head being really brown.
N. Coffee, pretty plain coffee though, a little smokey

Well I expected a bigger beer with lots of coffee and maybe a hint of chocolate. In fact this was something I was looking forward to since it was the closing of out tasting session today and we save the darker beers for last. Keep in mind I don't like big stouts, but since Ten Fidy I have kept an open mind. Aroma was coffee, this sorta got my lips wet, as for taste....wow SMOKEY. I feel like a chain smoker just exhaled a pack of 305's in my mouth. Though it calms down it was a bit too smoky for my taste. Good beer if you like stouts but I don't.

2.7/5  rDev -23.3%

Added a 12 FLUID OUNCE bottle of this to my Mix-A-Six Pack from Ingles in Asheville, NC for $8.88. Poured from the Black Labeled bottle w/ a Purple Start surrounded by Flames into a 12oz Snifter Glass.

Aroma- The aroma is very nutty and has a ton of malt present. Not much coffee or roast like I would normally want...

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger, dark brown head that dies quickly. Has a semi-clear body that is a deep brown color as well. Leaves suds behind.

Flavor- Light roast and tons of malt starts this one out. Almost no hops and the lightest bitterness is present.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, tons of malt on the palate.

Overall Impression- A light black ale at most... Missed the mark for a Stout, even a dry version. Wish there was more body and character. However, I did go after this beer because of its label. I will most definitely be keeping it for a souvenir.

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

This one came from JebediahScooter via the Feelin' Phishy BIF.

Shall we go,
you and I
While we can?
Through
the transitive nightfall
of diamonds

A - "dark star crashes, pouring its light into ashes" is a good description of how this one comes out the bottle - black without much of a head, albeit the one residing atop is a fainted cocoa chocolate color

S - smells of sweet grains and some chocolaty roasted malts

T - starts off with some sweet chocolate tones that are somewhat muted. This is followed up by a little it of burt malt and coffee flavor, however this is even more subtle than the chocolate notes. Not very flavorful overall.

M - creamy and full body makes for a great mouthfeel

D - the name on this beer made me really want to love this, just like a '69 Dark Star. However I was left a little disappointed with the taste as everything seemed very subtle and somewhat watery. Either way, enjoyable - just not something I would go out of my way to get in the future.

Dark Starr Stout from Starr Hill Brewery