Dark Starr Stout - Starr Hill Brewery

Beer added by: karst on 04-17-2006

3.44/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My second bottle of this one from the Starr Hill Loadout variety pack. Bottling date is December 18th, 2014.

Pours very, very dark brown, and once in the glass it is BLACK. My LED flashlight cannot penetrate the beer at all when aimed at the thick part of the glass, and even at the thinner end only a few stray flecks of red light make it to the other side. The head is tan and hangs around for several minutes before finally receding to a thin coating on the surface. As I drink the beer, it leaves a good bit of a trail along the inside of the glass, leaving some interesting little patterns as the glass gets emptier and emptier. Even 10 minutes after pouring, there's still a faint layer of tan coating the top. Overall, looks really nice.

The smell is roasty and quite a bit coffee-like. I've always thought that coffee smelled good (well, some coffee, at least--I've smelled some that was pretty gross) even though I don't actually drink the stuff myself, so this is definitely not a bad thing. Not a complex smell--it's pretty much all roasty coffee-like smell, I can't pick up anything else--but certainly not a bad one, either. Interestingly, the smell seems to become less "coffee" and more of a roasted grain sort of smell as the beer warms a bit--I suppose this must be what roasted barley smells like? Or maybe my nose, which has smelled coffee a lot more often than it has roasted barley, just finally learned how to distinguish the difference mid-glass.

Taste is pretty similar to the smell. All coffee-like roastiness, all the time. Well, actually, I'm noticing toward the end of the glass that there's just the tiniest bit of a burnt/smoky taste going on--not in a bad way, though, it blends pretty well with the general roastiness. Pretty good, even for someone who doesn't drink coffee. It's not an exact match, but out of all the beers I've had it reminds me most of the Guinness I had on draft at this little pub-style restaurant back home over Thanksgaving, though interestingly the flavor seems stronger here when compared to that glass of Guinness. Again, not complex but not bad at all. There is sometimes this odd sort of... mineral-y, maybe watery? type aftertaste which is less pleasant than the coffee-ish roastiness, but I'm only sometimes picking up on that, and I'm honestly not sure if it's an actual flavor or some weird trick the carbonation is pulling on my tongue that *seems* like a flavor. Either way, the carbonation is a bit weird sometimes--I'm not getting that "almost more watery than it should be" feeling like I did toward the end of the glass when I had a Guinness, but at the same time, even at the start of the glass this one didn't have that nice almost creamy sort of feeling from the foam on top like the first half to two-thirds of my Guinness pint did. I guess the "ideal stout mouthfeel" would be somewhat of a balance between the two, creamy while avoiding being watery or too prickly.

Overall, this is definitely pretty good but also definitely has some room for improvement. Might be that I just prefer my dark beers to be on the sweeter side (like the Snowblind doppelbock from the same variety pack--holy crap, that one was good.) If you like your dark beers dry and roasty rather than sweet and sticky, I'd give it a try.

3.89/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle
A - Very dark brown; tan head dissipates after a few minutes, rim only
S - Slight alcohol; coffee
T - Pretty mild stout, coffee, finishes with a mild bitter
F - Very light carbonation; smooth oily feel
O - I actually didn't think it was that bad; my wife said it tasted like a fire pit, but I didn't get a lot of smoke; pretty average,

2.94/5  rDev -16.5%

3.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful dark chocolate brown color that just doesn't want to let the light through. Ok head and lacing. Aroma is malty with roasted coffee flavors coming through. Taste is awesome, very clean and a crisp finish. Hints of coffee and chocolate blend and balance well together. Easily drinkable beer with a nice flavor and a very clean and crisp finish. gotta have some more ofthese!!!!

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%