The Love - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 01-12-2008

The Love is an unfiltered wheat beer, also known as a hefeweizen. It is distinguished by its extremely light body and flavored with hints of banana and clove. A slice of lemon can complement this refreshing brew.

Ratings: 404 | Reviews: 134
4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

This may be my new favorite! I've always been a fan of a good Hefeweizen, and this is everything a Hefeweizen should be!

4.72/5  rDev +33.7%

First 'Roanoke' semi-local brewery beer!

A - First rate. Opaque light straw color, no head to speak of that fades immediately leaving just a ring at the edge. Amazingly, it leaves some lacing.

S - Zesty, clean, spicy smell.

T - Nice! Belgian 'bubble-gummy' taste, with lemony zesty overtones. This is not a bland beer. The lemon comes to the top, then mingles with the 'musty' wheat taste. The lemon comes back in the finish. Finishes very sour.

MF - Smooth! Mouthfeel finishes with no 'feeling' after the swallow, inducing you to take another drink!

D - A wheat beer with character! My new local hefe choice.

4.72/5  rDev +33.7%

This is a nice, under rated, under reviewed, local (ish) brewery from Virginia. Last night I had their hefeweizen on draft at a local beer bar. Beer served in a shaker pint. Beer is dark yellow and completely hazy. Carbonation is moderate and there is a small thin head of tiny white bubbles. The head leaves some but not a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Seriously nice clove and banana aromas coming from this beer. I could smell it all night long. Its not overpower but its strong enough to really affect the pleasure of this beer positively. I wouldn't change a thing about the aroma.

Medium to light in body, some sweetness up front with some of the fruity characters in the midpalate. Nice finish, wet not dry, and no aftertaste. Drinkability is a 5 as I had 4 pints of this stuff and didn't feel a thing. Its a wonderful session beer and I would drink it again, recommend it, and go out of my way to sample it.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

overall great beer for almost any occasion

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured into a unibroue tulip, with what I would call a "pinner" of a head, small and lacy legs. At first the nose was the familiar lemon and banana hints I have come to expect from decent Hefes. I was pleasantly surprised with the first sip, crisp and refreshing with a very nice wheaty finish. It just so happened to be that I was in a wheat beer mood tonight, I will admit that I have been called a "Hop-maggot" by some, so this was a nice change of pace for me. All in all I Must say no "Love" lost for this particular beer or brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

A: Nice hazy tan, looks alive, cloudy as hell, can't see through it easily. Excellent head retention and nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Ultra-fruit. Lemon, orange, bananas, apples...light floral hop notes and a big blast of fresh baked bread.

T: A lightly refeshing hefe. Lemony and pleasant. A nice wave of ripe bananas shines through, with a peanut buttery finish. Very nice. Creamy mouthfeel.

D: Session beer.

Value: Very good for a beer of this quality. I got it for around 8 bucks a sixer. Excited to see more from this brewery.

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2L growler into a pilsner glass. Filled today at the Starr Hill brewery. Freshly tapped. This is the third time I've typed this review (the site crashed, then logged me out), so expect a brief review.

A: Two and a half fingers of wispy head. Gorgeously unfiltered; cloudy, translucent, and completely opaque. Yellow edges, honey-brown core. Good lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Banana, tart yeast, lemon zest, and maybe a hint of spice. The distinctive yeast is the best part about it.

T: Yum. Lemon peel to start, smooth sweet spice on the maintaste, and slightly dry on the aftertaste. True to the traditional style, but expertly made.

M: Less carbonated than from the bottle, but still with enough pizazz and spice to keep it interesting. A bit puckery.

O: Fabulous beer. Criminally underrated. Highly drinkable and immensely pleasant. One of the best hefewiezens I've come across and one of my favourite beers from Virginia. Will drink whenever I see it. Definitely recommended.

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this beer up in a mixed six pack and was pleasantly surprised. While I do enjoy wheat beers in general, I tend to shy away from some of the wheat beers that have a spicier taste. This beer, however, had more subtle spice flavors and was lighter in character than comparable beers such as hoeggarten. I gave this beer a high rating because of its amazing drinkability, the fact that it would make a great summer beer, and could appeal to even the most stubborn of domestic light beer drinkers. Bust out a case of this at your next barbecue, I'm sure it will go over well!

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Best by December 2011.

A: Very cloudy, wheaty, vanilla-orange color with a slight head that stayed at least a mild froth on top of the brew throughout the session. A bit dark than a lot of Hefeweizens, but this still looks really nice.

S: Faint coriander, with German wheat in the mix. Not a spice bomb for sure, yet still effective.

T: The wheat totally soften the blow of the potential over-the-top spices. Slight coriander, but not too much at all. Fruity, wheaty, and yummy!

M: Moderate prickle fromt he carbonation, not much sweetness or spiciness, and the linger didn't have that "rotten banana" issue that I commonly associate with this style.

O: Really nice, excellent even. What's with all the low reviews? I'm going to have the balls to rate this one higher...

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Cloudy light golden in color with a fresh, summery almost Bavarian witbier smell. As advertised, bananas and cloves standout. If I didn't know any better, I could be convinced that this beer has been made in Germany, and has been produced with the same recipe for hundreds of years. Maybe its the lighting in the room but I think this looks and tastes more like a witbier. Either way, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Side note: I enjoyed the back story about why the beer is called "the Love".

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

I have had all of the beers this brewey produces and this has got to be my favorite. The beer poured a pale beige color, cloudy with a 2+ finger head that held well. The beer has a nice level of carbonation for the style. Plenty of nice sediemt for a mid-pour swirl.

The bouquet had on first nosing, nices yeast witha grains backend. The second sniff has a nice bready quality, complimenting the yeast. Finally, I get just a hint of lemon zest.

The taste is a nice yeasty wheat beer, with just a sweet hint. A good ht for the style.

The body is bang on for the style, nice and enveloping. This is a nice drinkable beer, especially for those humid Virginia summers. My favorite part, the sediment. Oh the gas, oh the tortured ladies near me and of course, thank God for car window locks!!

This is a beer that I wish we could get in Pennsyltucky, because I would enjoy it quite a bit!!

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a Weizen glass. Had an orange-brown color and a cloudy consistency. Surprisingly, there was little head or lacing.

S: A good amount of wheat and that bubble gum quality in the aroma. Also has a slight grassy tinge to it.

T: Tasted of wheat, malt, the bubble gum quality, and th grassiness, though this is a minor component. The flavor here is very well-rounded and balanced.

M: Needs a bit of carbonation, but does have a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This is one of the better American examples of a Hefeweizen, in spite of a few minor flaws.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a hazy yellow.
Phenolic nose, lots of clove and Lemon.
Lots more clove in teh taste, some lemon and banana as well. This beer is very clove forward and am liking it. I am tir5ed of hefes that taste like a banana split.
I am really impressed with this beer, it may be the best hefe i have ever had.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Beer pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of white head that looks so soft and inviting that I'd like to lay down and take a nap on it. Nose reveals fruity esters, yeast, and spice. Banana flavor dominates, along with some coriander, and a pleasing yeasty finish. Mouthfeel is nothing remarkable, a bit thin. Overall this is a pretty good hefeweizen. I'm pleasantly surprised by this because it's by a relatively new brewery, and it's a somewhat difficult style to nail. But this is solid.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured hazy and opaque, a solid chunk o' gold. The creamy white head did not display much retention, and the lacing was only spotty.

Underlying banana to nose also features some clove and a citrusy tang. I though the aroma was a tad subdued, but nice.

A sharper, threshed wheat taste with a building bite to start. Halfway through my first sip I was ready to declare this beer a thirst quencher. Banana follows, alongside orange that became more noticeable as the beer warmed slightly. A full wheat aftertaste with a yeasty tang.

Creamy sensation, as other have noted, that is oddly and nicely complimented a strong carbonation bite keeping things from becoming too thick. Afterwords, it did finish slightly thick on the palate for me. Nonetheless, a very pleasant and tasty hefe that is very drinkable.

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Hazy golden yellow. Head is minimal and leaves virtually no lacing.
S- Grainy, lemon, banana, a bit of clove to it.
T- Starts with a lemon and wheat taste. The strong banana and clove flavors don't kick in until near the finish, but when it does it is strong. Good flavors and multi-dimensional.
M- Relatively full bodied for an American-made hefe. Problem here is the carbonation is way way too sharp.
D- A sound hefe. Tone down the carbonation and it could be one of the best American made hefeweizens out there. A definite improvement over their marzen.

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a slightly orange haze. The white head rises about 1/4" and fades rather quickly. No lace remains on the glass.

Smell: Sweet banana, clove and bread. The yeast aroma reminds me of a Belgian strain, which it probably is. Very sweet. Some fresh bubblegum as well.

Taste: Mimicking the aroma, there's a lot of wheat, banana and Belgian yeast. Reminds me of fresh banana bread with the nice amount of chewiness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, juicy, bready, spicy and very Hefe-esque. No alcohol feeling anywhere. Smooth, easy to drink, medium body, awesome.

Drinkability: A delicious and refreshing beer. I could easily do a six pack of these. An all around winner.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

a: hazy golden-white in color, comes with a well-retained head that gives nice lacing

s: dominant aromas of sweet yeast dough, lemon peel, underripe banana, clove, floral herbal hops, wheat malt

m: medium-high carbonation and medium body, on the full side for a hefe (good thing)

t: big doughy yeasts, lemon peel, wheat malt body gives a light-moderate sweetness and wheaty spice, finishes with a mild bitterness, seems to be on the strong and complex side for the style

d: a breeze, nice hefe and my favorite of the Starr Hill line thus far

standard pint at the Taphouse on Queensway, Hampton, VA

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Within indicated freshness limits.

A: Soft, hazy, mellow yellow with pillowy 1-finger, off-white head with plenty of lines of lace.

S: Ripe bananas, coriander, clove, tangy wheat, and a little bit of tart apple.

T: The nose reflects the flavors very well with lots of tangy wheat blended with a large amount of malt. Lemon and banana flavors are most prominent. The spice component is understated which leaves it to enhance the fresh fruity flavors. Hops note in the finish is a nice tart, dry feel with a little peppery dash at the end.

M: Light carbonation than most hefes leaves this brew with a very silky feel through the front and middle with tartness and dryness in the finish. Body is a bit heavier than most hefes which I also like.

D: One of my favorite hefes (not just because it's local). It has some unique features with more body and lower carbonation that I really enjoy. I'm glad Starr Hill decided to put this into a bottle -- it is a great summer beer.

4.02/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours to a hazy golden color with a slight head that doesn't stay around long. Aroma is very yeasty, my favorite, with some very sweet fruit notes. Palette is very nice, with what tastes like banana notes, maybe some raisins. It has a smooth finish, and is rather bubbly.

4.01/5  rDev +13.6%

12-oz bottle poured into a weizen.

A = Beautiful translucent, hazy gold with large white billowy head.

S = Light smells of the cloves a hefe is supposed to have but less banana than expecting, fair amount of citrus, mostly lemon. Smells okay but is a little underwhelming next to the top of the style.

T = The banana that seemed absent in the nose is there in force in the taste, as is a fair amount of lemon flavor, the cloves and other spices are perhaps just a little too subdued however.

M = Medium body, decent mouthcoating.

D = This is a very enjoyable, easy drinking beer. Far from the best hefeweizen I have ever had, but one of the best American hefe's I've had. It is definitely a good choice for an enjoyable summer beer.

A: Pale straw, hazy, nice white head.. that so far is lasting...

S: A little citrus, yeasty, with some banana.

T: Nice, mellow, ripe fruit mostly bananas. Very nice.

M: Nice body, appropriate carbonation.

D: Very nice. Crisp, clean, nice banana taste. Perfect brew for the summer. I can see drinking this with some bratwurst and sauerkraut.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Whole foods in Vienna, VA.

Pours cloudy yellow with an average head.

Aroma is not pronounced, average.

Taste has plenty of clove and banana, very good.

For a local brew, a very fine example of the style, appreciated on this warm August day (87 degrees).

Listed here as a hefeweizen - if so, it is the clearest hefe I've come across. Poured a bright golden with a nominal head, despite a vigorous pour. A bit spicy in the nose. Bright, clean flavor - not a lot of wheat malt, but a distinctive lemony, slightly citric acidity predominates. Some muted yeast flavors, with a touch of banana at first that is soon overtaken by the lemon. Overall, very refreshing, but the citric nature did get a little tart by the end.

This one's now available at the Total Wine in Orlando, FL.

A - Poured a pale (almost straw) gold with very little carbonation and no real head to speak of. Kind of disappointing in terms of appearance, but that's okay, I don't admire this beer for its appearance.

S - Faint quaffs of malts, oats and cereal. Does not have a strong scent or bouquet, so I won't elaborate.

T - Ripe bananas through and through. Kind of like the tartness of banana pudding, and not just for comparison's sake but that's what I taste from beginning to end. Aftertaste of toasted whole wheat bread. Delicious - I'd make this my standard hefe just because of my present location.

M - Thoroughly refreshing, very good! It's not overly carbonated so it's extremely smooth. It's very good when it's cold, and this does not take away any of the flavor. It's a taste I'd personally go back to, and I'm not a huge fan of the style. Interesting that they didn't label this as a hefe but rather, a wheat beer (same thing) while I'm on the subject.

D - I especially enjoyed how drinkable this beer is. It'd be pretty easy for me to put a few of these down.

The Love from Starr Hill Brewery