The Love - Starr Hill Brewery

good

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.60% ABV

The Love is an unfiltered wheat beer, also known as a hefeweizen. It is distinguished by its extremely light body and flavored with hints of banana and clove. A slice of lemon can complement this refreshing brew.

(Beer added by: mentor on 01-12-2008)

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

This may be my new favorite! I've always been a fan of a good Hefeweizen, and this is everything a Hefeweizen should be!

4.72/5  rDev +33.7%

First 'Roanoke' semi-local brewery beer!

A - First rate. Opaque light straw color, no head to speak of that fades immediately leaving just a ring at the edge. Amazingly, it leaves some lacing.

S - Zesty, clean, spicy smell.

T - Nice! Belgian 'bubble-gummy' taste, with lemony zesty overtones. This is not a bland beer. The lemon comes to the top, then mingles with the 'musty' wheat taste. The lemon comes back in the finish. Finishes very sour.

MF - Smooth! Mouthfeel finishes with no 'feeling' after the swallow, inducing you to take another drink!

D - A wheat beer with character! My new local hefe choice.

4.7/5  rDev +33.1%

This is a nice, under rated, under reviewed, local (ish) brewery from Virginia. Last night I had their hefeweizen on draft at a local beer bar. Beer served in a shaker pint. Beer is dark yellow and completely hazy. Carbonation is moderate and there is a small thin head of tiny white bubbles. The head leaves some but not a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks good.

Seriously nice clove and banana aromas coming from this beer. I could smell it all night long. Its not overpower but its strong enough to really affect the pleasure of this beer positively. I wouldn't change a thing about the aroma.

Medium to light in body, some sweetness up front with some of the fruity characters in the midpalate. Nice finish, wet not dry, and no aftertaste. Drinkability is a 5 as I had 4 pints of this stuff and didn't feel a thing. Its a wonderful session beer and I would drink it again, recommend it, and go out of my way to sample it.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured into a unibroue tulip, with what I would call a "pinner" of a head, small and lacy legs. At first the nose was the familiar lemon and banana hints I have come to expect from decent Hefes. I was pleasantly surprised with the first sip, crisp and refreshing with a very nice wheaty finish. It just so happened to be that I was in a wheat beer mood tonight, I will admit that I have been called a "Hop-maggot" by some, so this was a nice change of pace for me. All in all I Must say no "Love" lost for this particular beer or brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

overall great beer for almost any occasion

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

A: Nice hazy tan, looks alive, cloudy as hell, can't see through it easily. Excellent head retention and nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Ultra-fruit. Lemon, orange, bananas, apples...light floral hop notes and a big blast of fresh baked bread.

T: A lightly refeshing hefe. Lemony and pleasant. A nice wave of ripe bananas shines through, with a peanut buttery finish. Very nice. Creamy mouthfeel.

D: Session beer.

Value: Very good for a beer of this quality. I got it for around 8 bucks a sixer. Excited to see more from this brewery.

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2L growler into a pilsner glass. Filled today at the Starr Hill brewery. Freshly tapped. This is the third time I've typed this review (the site crashed, then logged me out), so expect a brief review.

A: Two and a half fingers of wispy head. Gorgeously unfiltered; cloudy, translucent, and completely opaque. Yellow edges, honey-brown core. Good lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Banana, tart yeast, lemon zest, and maybe a hint of spice. The distinctive yeast is the best part about it.

T: Yum. Lemon peel to start, smooth sweet spice on the maintaste, and slightly dry on the aftertaste. True to the traditional style, but expertly made.

M: Less carbonated than from the bottle, but still with enough pizazz and spice to keep it interesting. A bit puckery.

O: Fabulous beer. Criminally underrated. Highly drinkable and immensely pleasant. One of the best hefewiezens I've come across and one of my favourite beers from Virginia. Will drink whenever I see it. Definitely recommended.

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this beer up in a mixed six pack and was pleasantly surprised. While I do enjoy wheat beers in general, I tend to shy away from some of the wheat beers that have a spicier taste. This beer, however, had more subtle spice flavors and was lighter in character than comparable beers such as hoeggarten. I gave this beer a high rating because of its amazing drinkability, the fact that it would make a great summer beer, and could appeal to even the most stubborn of domestic light beer drinkers. Bust out a case of this at your next barbecue, I'm sure it will go over well!

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

The Love from Starr Hill Brewery