The Love - Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery visit their website
Virginia, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 01-12-2008

The Love is an unfiltered wheat beer, also known as a hefeweizen. It is distinguished by its extremely light body and flavored with hints of banana and clove. A slice of lemon can complement this refreshing brew.

3.97/5  rDev +10%

A - Pours a dirty brown (much darker than most Hefe's) with a 1/2 inch of rocking head that has some kick ass lacing.
A not so impressive twist off but would bring in the BMC drinkers...

S - Smells of mild wheat and hops. Mostly spice of coriander and clove with mild fruity yeasts.

T - Well it's quite a good representation of the style with balanced yet strong spice and a fruity yet dry yeast character. Little hops and mild wheat yet they do give me a pleasant drinking experience with a fresh water taste.

M - Light to medium its fairly easy to finish.

Overall it was a great beer and I just found out it was bottled 12/22/11 so it even drinks great after 6 months of age. Recommended! (695 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10%

This beer is sweeping the nation. At least the southeast anyway. I first tried this at a beer fest last fall and loved it. Everyone who has tried it has loved it also. It seems to have that same quality as Blue Moon and Magic Hat that has not only men, but women who will ask for it. The name and label may keep some guys away, but c'mon, go for it. It's just a real good beer. (377 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +10.5%

The Love is poured a cloudy peach body with a bone white head that fades quickly. The aromas are banana esters, some clove spice. The smell isn't amazing but enough to make this a solid heffe. The taste matches the smell with a slight tart thing going on. Plenty of carb leads to a good mouthfeel that is to style. An odd beer for a cold day like today, but I would kill this in thw summer. (390 characters)

A: Pale straw, hazy, nice white head.. that so far is lasting...

S: A little citrus, yeasty, with some banana.

T: Nice, mellow, ripe fruit mostly bananas. Very nice.

M: Nice body, appropriate carbonation.

D: Very nice. Crisp, clean, nice banana taste. Perfect brew for the summer. I can see drinking this with some bratwurst and sauerkraut. (344 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Whole foods in Vienna, VA.

Pours cloudy yellow with an average head.

Aroma is not pronounced, average.

Taste has plenty of clove and banana, very good.

For a local brew, a very fine example of the style, appreciated on this warm August day (87 degrees). (267 characters)

Listed here as a hefeweizen - if so, it is the clearest hefe I've come across. Poured a bright golden with a nominal head, despite a vigorous pour. A bit spicy in the nose. Bright, clean flavor - not a lot of wheat malt, but a distinctive lemony, slightly citric acidity predominates. Some muted yeast flavors, with a touch of banana at first that is soon overtaken by the lemon. Overall, very refreshing, but the citric nature did get a little tart by the end. (461 characters)

This one's now available at the Total Wine in Orlando, FL.

A - Poured a pale (almost straw) gold with very little carbonation and no real head to speak of. Kind of disappointing in terms of appearance, but that's okay, I don't admire this beer for its appearance.

S - Faint quaffs of malts, oats and cereal. Does not have a strong scent or bouquet, so I won't elaborate.

T - Ripe bananas through and through. Kind of like the tartness of banana pudding, and not just for comparison's sake but that's what I taste from beginning to end. Aftertaste of toasted whole wheat bread. Delicious - I'd make this my standard hefe just because of my present location.

M - Thoroughly refreshing, very good! It's not overly carbonated so it's extremely smooth. It's very good when it's cold, and this does not take away any of the flavor. It's a taste I'd personally go back to, and I'm not a huge fan of the style. Interesting that they didn't label this as a hefe but rather, a wheat beer (same thing) while I'm on the subject.

D - I especially enjoyed how drinkable this beer is. It'd be pretty easy for me to put a few of these down. (1,131 characters)

A - Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a finger or so of fluffy white head.

S - Smells pretty nice with the typical banana and clove scent along with a orange note. There is a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T - Very much similar to the nose. A lemon characteristic comes out in the flavor. There is a nice tartness present.

M - Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. I could see this being nice and refreshing on a hot summer day.

D - Definitely sessionable if hefeweizens are your thing. I'm not typically a big wheat fan but I thought this was very approachable and I enjoyed it. (588 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The Starr Hill rep for NJ, Jack, came to my store to sample me on 6 of their beers. Unfortunately, I only got to try 4oz of this one poured into a sample cup, like you'd get at any type of Beerfest.

AP: Nice dark yellow and light gold colour. Can't get much a head from a sample cup, but there was some lacing.
AR: Banana and clove the most evident. Some wheat notes as well.
T: You have to like banana to really appreciate this brew. I'm a big fan of banana, coconut and coffee flavours, so this hit my sweet spot. I've had loads of Hefeweizens, including Weinhenstephaner and other Germans, but I've never tasted such a ripe banana flavour on any of them like this one. Think of going to a supermarket and buying a bunch of bananas that still have green on the skin and when you peel them the flesh inside is still firm. That's what this tastes like...a ripe banana. The clove and wheat flavours are also there as well, but the ripe banana flavour makes this beer, IMO. I was so disappointed to find Starr Hill is only sending 1/2 kegs of this to NJ and not bottles yet. I was ready to name this my Summer drinking beer. I could easily kill a 6pk of this before knowing it.
M: Crisp and moderately carbonated, light on the palate with a smoothness that makes this very sessionable.
OV: As I said, I was ready to name this my Summer drinking beer for 2013. Love the ripe banana flavour on this. Easy drinking and ideal for tailgating, BBQs, parties, etc. Starr Hill, please send bottles to NJ soon. (1,501 characters)

Blind BIF Round 4. Beer #1 from Thorpe429.

A-Pours a cloudy, pale gold with a frothy white head. Nice retention and a bit of stickiness.

S-A blast of bubble gum hit me when I opened the bottle. Some underlying spiciness as well. Very nice.

T-Very flavorful. Bready on the front with a bit of a lemony tang, followed by bubble gum and a hint of clove.

M-Lighter side of medium bodied, nice silkiness from the suspended yeast, medium carbonation.

D-This will be gone in a heartbeat. An easy drinker, long on taste.

HV (522 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +11.1%

12-oz bottle poured into a weizen.

A = Beautiful translucent, hazy gold with large white billowy head.

S = Light smells of the cloves a hefe is supposed to have but less banana than expecting, fair amount of citrus, mostly lemon. Smells okay but is a little underwhelming next to the top of the style.

T = The banana that seemed absent in the nose is there in force in the taste, as is a fair amount of lemon flavor, the cloves and other spices are perhaps just a little too subdued however.

M = Medium body, decent mouthcoating.

D = This is a very enjoyable, easy drinking beer. Far from the best hefeweizen I have ever had, but one of the best American hefe's I've had. It is definitely a good choice for an enjoyable summer beer. (737 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours to a hazy golden color with a slight head that doesn't stay around long. Aroma is very yeasty, my favorite, with some very sweet fruit notes. Palette is very nice, with what tastes like banana notes, maybe some raisins. It has a smooth finish, and is rather bubbly. (271 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

a: hazy golden-white in color, comes with a well-retained head that gives nice lacing

s: dominant aromas of sweet yeast dough, lemon peel, underripe banana, clove, floral herbal hops, wheat malt

m: medium-high carbonation and medium body, on the full side for a hefe (good thing)

t: big doughy yeasts, lemon peel, wheat malt body gives a light-moderate sweetness and wheaty spice, finishes with a mild bitterness, seems to be on the strong and complex side for the style

d: a breeze, nice hefe and my favorite of the Starr Hill line thus far

standard pint at the Taphouse on Queensway, Hampton, VA (602 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Within indicated freshness limits.

A: Soft, hazy, mellow yellow with pillowy 1-finger, off-white head with plenty of lines of lace.

S: Ripe bananas, coriander, clove, tangy wheat, and a little bit of tart apple.

T: The nose reflects the flavors very well with lots of tangy wheat blended with a large amount of malt. Lemon and banana flavors are most prominent. The spice component is understated which leaves it to enhance the fresh fruity flavors. Hops note in the finish is a nice tart, dry feel with a little peppery dash at the end.

M: Light carbonation than most hefes leaves this brew with a very silky feel through the front and middle with tartness and dryness in the finish. Body is a bit heavier than most hefes which I also like.

D: One of my favorite hefes (not just because it's local). It has some unique features with more body and lower carbonation that I really enjoy. I'm glad Starr Hill decided to put this into a bottle -- it is a great summer beer. (1,032 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

A- Hazy golden yellow. Head is minimal and leaves virtually no lacing.
S- Grainy, lemon, banana, a bit of clove to it.
T- Starts with a lemon and wheat taste. The strong banana and clove flavors don't kick in until near the finish, but when it does it is strong. Good flavors and multi-dimensional.
M- Relatively full bodied for an American-made hefe. Problem here is the carbonation is way way too sharp.
D- A sound hefe. Tone down the carbonation and it could be one of the best American made hefeweizens out there. A definite improvement over their marzen. (559 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a slightly orange haze. The white head rises about 1/4" and fades rather quickly. No lace remains on the glass.

Smell: Sweet banana, clove and bread. The yeast aroma reminds me of a Belgian strain, which it probably is. Very sweet. Some fresh bubblegum as well.

Taste: Mimicking the aroma, there's a lot of wheat, banana and Belgian yeast. Reminds me of fresh banana bread with the nice amount of chewiness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, juicy, bready, spicy and very Hefe-esque. No alcohol feeling anywhere. Smooth, easy to drink, medium body, awesome.

Drinkability: A delicious and refreshing beer. I could easily do a six pack of these. An all around winner. (751 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Beer pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of white head that looks so soft and inviting that I'd like to lay down and take a nap on it. Nose reveals fruity esters, yeast, and spice. Banana flavor dominates, along with some coriander, and a pleasing yeasty finish. Mouthfeel is nothing remarkable, a bit thin. Overall this is a pretty good hefeweizen. I'm pleasantly surprised by this because it's by a relatively new brewery, and it's a somewhat difficult style to nail. But this is solid. (494 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured hazy and opaque, a solid chunk o' gold. The creamy white head did not display much retention, and the lacing was only spotty.

Underlying banana to nose also features some clove and a citrusy tang. I though the aroma was a tad subdued, but nice.

A sharper, threshed wheat taste with a building bite to start. Halfway through my first sip I was ready to declare this beer a thirst quencher. Banana follows, alongside orange that became more noticeable as the beer warmed slightly. A full wheat aftertaste with a yeasty tang.

Creamy sensation, as other have noted, that is oddly and nicely complimented a strong carbonation bite keeping things from becoming too thick. Afterwords, it did finish slightly thick on the palate for me. Nonetheless, a very pleasant and tasty hefe that is very drinkable. (806 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13%

Pours a hazy yellow.
Phenolic nose, lots of clove and Lemon.
Lots more clove in teh taste, some lemon and banana as well. This beer is very clove forward and am liking it. I am tir5ed of hefes that taste like a banana split.
I am really impressed with this beer, it may be the best hefe i have ever had. (304 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a Weizen glass. Had an orange-brown color and a cloudy consistency. Surprisingly, there was little head or lacing.

S: A good amount of wheat and that bubble gum quality in the aroma. Also has a slight grassy tinge to it.

T: Tasted of wheat, malt, the bubble gum quality, and th grassiness, though this is a minor component. The flavor here is very well-rounded and balanced.

M: Needs a bit of carbonation, but does have a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This is one of the better American examples of a Hefeweizen, in spite of a few minor flaws. (587 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Cloudy light golden in color with a fresh, summery almost Bavarian witbier smell. As advertised, bananas and cloves standout. If I didn't know any better, I could be convinced that this beer has been made in Germany, and has been produced with the same recipe for hundreds of years. Maybe its the lighting in the room but I think this looks and tastes more like a witbier. Either way, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Side note: I enjoyed the back story about why the beer is called "the Love". (560 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I have had all of the beers this brewey produces and this has got to be my favorite. The beer poured a pale beige color, cloudy with a 2+ finger head that held well. The beer has a nice level of carbonation for the style. Plenty of nice sediemt for a mid-pour swirl.

The bouquet had on first nosing, nices yeast witha grains backend. The second sniff has a nice bready quality, complimenting the yeast. Finally, I get just a hint of lemon zest.

The taste is a nice yeasty wheat beer, with just a sweet hint. A good ht for the style.

The body is bang on for the style, nice and enveloping. This is a nice drinkable beer, especially for those humid Virginia summers. My favorite part, the sediment. Oh the gas, oh the tortured ladies near me and of course, thank God for car window locks!!

This is a beer that I wish we could get in Pennsyltucky, because I would enjoy it quite a bit!! (887 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Best by December 2011.

A: Very cloudy, wheaty, vanilla-orange color with a slight head that stayed at least a mild froth on top of the brew throughout the session. A bit dark than a lot of Hefeweizens, but this still looks really nice.

S: Faint coriander, with German wheat in the mix. Not a spice bomb for sure, yet still effective.

T: The wheat totally soften the blow of the potential over-the-top spices. Slight coriander, but not too much at all. Fruity, wheaty, and yummy!

M: Moderate prickle fromt he carbonation, not much sweetness or spiciness, and the linger didn't have that "rotten banana" issue that I commonly associate with this style.

O: Really nice, excellent even. What's with all the low reviews? I'm going to have the balls to rate this one higher... (775 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this beer up in a mixed six pack and was pleasantly surprised. While I do enjoy wheat beers in general, I tend to shy away from some of the wheat beers that have a spicier taste. This beer, however, had more subtle spice flavors and was lighter in character than comparable beers such as hoeggarten. I gave this beer a high rating because of its amazing drinkability, the fact that it would make a great summer beer, and could appeal to even the most stubborn of domestic light beer drinkers. Bust out a case of this at your next barbecue, I'm sure it will go over well! (579 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2L growler into a pilsner glass. Filled today at the Starr Hill brewery. Freshly tapped. This is the third time I've typed this review (the site crashed, then logged me out), so expect a brief review.

A: Two and a half fingers of wispy head. Gorgeously unfiltered; cloudy, translucent, and completely opaque. Yellow edges, honey-brown core. Good lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Banana, tart yeast, lemon zest, and maybe a hint of spice. The distinctive yeast is the best part about it.

T: Yum. Lemon peel to start, smooth sweet spice on the maintaste, and slightly dry on the aftertaste. True to the traditional style, but expertly made.

M: Less carbonated than from the bottle, but still with enough pizazz and spice to keep it interesting. A bit puckery.

O: Fabulous beer. Criminally underrated. Highly drinkable and immensely pleasant. One of the best hefewiezens I've come across and one of my favourite beers from Virginia. Will drink whenever I see it. Definitely recommended. (1,000 characters)

The Love from Starr Hill Brewery